Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If I make it it will be Thursday afternoon. Leaving Sunday Morning.

In the past it has been quite chilly at night fellows so come prepared for that and then be prepared for warmish weather if on the gravel. Though so far it looks like it cold be mild with mid forties and high sixties.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By corruptor:

I think that's correct.  I only live 3 hours away and haven't been out riding much, so I want to take advantage of the time off if I can.
View Quote

The plan I am working with is getting there Wed. Night late in Athens and then riding over Thursday (it’s about 30 min. The Lodge in Tellico is sold out, as I feared, so we’ll go for cheaper rooms-my plan is to talk to the plant we have in Athens and see if we can park our bikes there rather than trailer and untrailer at a hotel-or worse, just park them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
We’ll be staying in Athens for sure-I was able to secure parking at our plant and rooms will be cheaper. 30 minute ride won’t be too bad.

Can I get a list of the street riding guys so we can swap phone numbers via PM?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
E-07s are on the way! Also new TPMS sensors which are dying on my bike. SO I will swap them at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
So… no street riders then?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
So… no street riders then?
View Quote

You have room in your hotel for another guy?
Friend of mine has a late model Goldwing and might make the trip if he had a place to stay.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

Friend of mine has a late model Goldwing and might make the trip if he had a place to stay.
View Quote

Probably not-we are a party of 3 with potential for a 4th that I’ll find out about hopefully today-another ARFCOMMER local to me that lost his house too  in a fire last year.

Hotels in Athens should be pretty cheap-if any other street rider want to chime in about their room situation we can maybe get the guy a place to crash and offset the cost.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Probably not-we are a party of 3 with potential for a 4th that I’ll find out about hopefully today-another ARFCOMMER local to me that lost his house too  in a fire last year.

Hotels in Athens should be pretty cheap-if any other street rider want to chime in about their room situation we can maybe get the guy a place to crash and offset the cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cool. I’ll pass that along and see if he can swing it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#9]
We need a best helmet hair competition this time-I rode  down and back last time so it was pretty wild-ran across a pic today:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
We need a best helmet hair competition this time-I rode  down and back last time so it was pretty wild-ran across a pic today:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48873/E9995CC4-CDBD-428F-81FD-0CDD84652C29_jpe-3166350.JPG
View Quote

Well, shit.  I was going to go for a haircut this weekend.  Looks like I'm going to have to hold out for this...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the atmosphere like in the evening at this event?

Campfires?  One big community campfire or everyone on their own type of thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

There is a big community fire. This is a fairly mellow crowd that just does stupid things on bikes. It’s pretty quiet come bed time but during the day it’s just an excited anthill of dual sports. A real blast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

There is a big community fire. This is a fairly mellow crowd that just does stupid things on bikes. It’s pretty quiet come bed time but during the day it’s just an excited anthill of dual sports. A real blast.
View All Quotes

Cool.

I have a propane fire-ring gizmo that works well as a campfire that doesn't draw the attention of the fire marshals of the Colorado Rockies.  It's quick and easy deal with.

It's also pretty nice when you can't burn out-of-state firewood.

I'll leave it at home.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Haven't seen @Squatch post lately. Still planning to make it to the event?

Nice, just in time!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Cool.

I have a propane fire-ring gizmo that works well as a campfire that doesn't draw the attention of the fire marshals of the Colorado Rockies.  It's quick and easy deal with.

I'll leave it at home.
View All Quotes

Cool.

I'll leave it at home.

Somewhere along the line I read that campfires laid directly on the ground are prohibited, but elevated fire pits are good to go.

What are you guys thinking about food?  I'm planning on bringing most of mine for breakfast and dinner, and I'm guessing we'll stop along the way for lunches?  I'll have a single butane burner and a frying pan or two if anyone feels like cooking and doesn't want to haul that stuff along.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Somewhere along the line I read that campfires laid directly on the ground are prohibited, but elevated fire pits are good to go.

What are you guys thinking about food?  I'm planning on bringing most of mine for breakfast and dinner, and I'm guessing we'll stop along the way for lunches?  I'll have a single butane burner and a frying pan or two if anyone feels like cooking and doesn't want to haul that stuff along.
View Quote

For food there are too many restaurants within a mile or two for me to pack anything. If I can make this work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#18]

View All Quotes

Cool.

I'll leave it at home.

I planned on bringing enough Canned Soup for the week and coffee makings to be prepped on a JetBoil.
( ETA: I always cook canned soup on hunting trips so it won't go to waste if I don't use it )

It's cash only on the grounds so I'll bring some for whatever I feel like while hanging out there.

And of course I'll go along with whatever is suggested by the group.  Resaurants, fast food, etc.  I'm game.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
They did have some food trucks on the grounds last year. Just one or two I believe. I was disappointed that they seemed to leave a bit early.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
We going to do any restaurant meals?

Trying to figure out what we’ll be doing-looks like the street riding crowd is a bust this year, glad I am bringing some guys to ride with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll probably do a little of all food types. Dehydrated, oatmeal, coffee, food truck, restaurants, etc. Similar to last year. I'll be on the road/camping 6 or 7 days total though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]
We going to do any restaurant meals?

Trying to figure out what we’ll be doing-looks like the street riding crowd is a bust this year, glad I am bringing some guys to ride with.
View Quote

When we're not riding - we all will STILL be having fun together.

Time for an adventure bike, Dave.

Just do it.  It'll be fun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#23]

When we're not riding - we all will STILL be having fun together.

Time for an adventure bike, Dave.

Just do it.  It'll be fun.
View Quote

You’re not wrong-just not for the reasons you think….

I feel like I’ve got two more bikes in me, but I don’t think I have room between now and retirement for more than one. I really want a Speed Triple 1200RS or SuperDuke 1390 EVO…. But my wife is 70 and will eventually not be able to ride her own bikes and needs something with a backrest for us to ride 2–up. Her R1200R would cost $1k to put one on and it has no leg room for me so that means Adventure Bike.

My BIL has a 990 SAR that I’ve got quite a few miles on, will probably end up with a new SAR. I want something with adaptive cruise control for running out to see my family.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]

You’re not wrong-just not for the reasons you think….

I feel like I’ve got two more bikes in me, but I don’t think I have room between now and retirement for more than one. I really want a Speed Triple 1200RS or SuperDuke 1390 EVO…. But my wife is 70 and will eventually not be able to ride her own bikes and needs something with a backrest for us to ride 2–up. Her R1200R would cost $1k to put one on and it has no leg room for me so that means Adventure Bike.

My BIL has a 990 SAR that I’ve got quite a few miles on, will probably end up with a new SAR. I want something with adaptive cruise control for running out to see my family.
View Quote

Take my 1200 GSA for a spin when we are down there. Of course it is "outdated", but I am sure it can give you a taste of what it is capable of.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Think I've got time to break these in?
Attachment Attached File

That's a LOT of boot...  My current boots are Forma Adventures and are really soft. These are probably overkill for the type of riding we'll be doing (if there is such a thing).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232511/Boot_JPG-3170966.JPG

That's a LOT of boot...  My current boots are Forma Adventures and are really soft. These are probably overkill for the type of riding we'll be doing (if there is such a thing).
View Quote

I bought some Gaerne Fastbacks that I'll be wearing on the trip. Ankle/foot injuries are no joke and might as well have a good strong boot even if you get into the crazy stuff only every once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SBRChris:

I bought some Gaerne Fastbacks that I'll be wearing on the trip. Ankle/foot injuries are no joke and might as well have a good strong boot even if you get into the crazy stuff only every once in a while.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232511/Boot_JPG-3170966.JPG

Yep.

Bring both as many biking boots as days we're riding.  If we're going through water, it'll be nice to have dry boots for the next day.
( I have three pairs that fit me right now.  The crummiest pair will be saved for the wettest day forecasted, if possible )
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#28]
Ill be wearing my Adventure 2 boots. Not full on motocross but way more than I wear daily around town.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Very true.  Reconsidered what I was wearing after a buddy went down on the trail.  He messed up his ACL but likely would have broken a few bones if not for his boots (A* Tech 7).  My current boots flex a LOT at the ankle.  Decent enough for most of the quick runs I do, but it's just not enough for off-road riding.  I heavily considered the Fastbacks, but finally opted for the SG12 after talking to the dealer about the pros and cons.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Yep.

Bring both as many biking boots as days we're riding.  If we're going through water, it'll be nice to have dry boots for the next day.
( I have three pairs that fit me right now.  The crummiest pair will be saved for the wettest day forecasted, if possible )
View Quote

Yeah, I'm riding the whole way again so the only room for boots is on my little(big) footies.haha I'm bringing a few pair of socks though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like we should have decent weather!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232511/Tellico_Weather_JPG-3171719.JPG
View Quote

Yea that is about as good as it gets for early April.

Last time I was there it was below freezing at night so I am happy with those numbers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Last time I was there it was below freezing at night so I am happy with those numbers.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232511/Tellico_Weather_JPG-3171719.JPG

Agreed.

How will the camping area be after the rain?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Agreed.

How will the camping area be after the rain?
View Quote

There are lots of areas, I stayed down near the creek near the main site next to a big tree. It rained last time I went but I was fine. There was a soft area but I just avoided that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotcha
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Do we bother trying to get camp spots close to one another or are choices pretty limited?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Do we bother trying to get camp spots close to one another or are choices pretty limited?
View Quote

We should definitely camp together.  Down by the creek had  space. Across the creek is a pond and all those spots get tight.

But I will pitch wherever you guys are if I can make it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#38]

We should definitely camp together.  Down by the creek had  space. Across the creek is a pond and all those spots get tight.

But I will pitch wherever you guys are if I can make it.
View Quote

OK I'll look for a spot near the creek.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Or wherever you decide. I think you will be there first. At this point I am not really sure what our number is up to.

I would request not too far from a porta john...but not too close either
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Or wherever you decide. I think you will be there first. At this point I am not really sure what our number is up to.

View All Quotes

I'm trying hard to make it there by Noon on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

You'll beat me there then. I'll probably be there that afternoon if all goes to plan.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#42]

You'll beat me there then. I'll probably be there that afternoon if all goes to plan.
View All Quotes

If I leave home on Tuesday, I'll easily be there when it opens ( at Noon??? ) on Wednesday.

If I wait until early Wednesday am, it may be closer to 2 or 3PM EST.  ( I lose an hour from where I am ). I have an 8-hour drive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I just sent a quick text to the group from last year's trip.

I'm hoping we can get everyone's contact information into our phones before everyone starts making their way to the destination.
I didn't do that after last year.

Please reply with names and if you didn't receive the text then DM me and I'll re-send a new group text with everyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I'll look for a spot close to the creek.  Hopefully, we have a porta john close.  Maybe I can ask for one to be put closer if not????
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#45]

I'll look for a spot close to the creek.  Hopefully, we have a porta john close.  Maybe I can ask for one to be put closer if not????
View Quote

There will be one close enough I am sure. That is also closer to the showers which I kid you not, is in an old bus.

I am telling you guys it’s a trip. It’s like a pissed off hornets nest of dual sports and ADV bikes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone else going?

@Squatch ????
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Lots of fun today and I am still not sure I am coming…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Fingers crossed….

Got our rooms tonight, we are likely down one rider-he had to do a frame replacement and has a check engine light on the first test ride-not really enough time to figure out what it is. I can get him a bike to ride, but it would mean having to come up with a way to get it down there as the van he bought to haul the Buell around is giving some starting problems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Lots of fun today and I am still not sure I am coming…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_9531_jpeg-3174916.JPG
View Quote

I did that yesterday as well. I'll be packing up today and hitting the road tomorrow morning. Hopefully it all works out to where you can make it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Took the bike out for a season opening shakedown ride and to fill the tank before it gets trailered tomorrow, everything is good except tags and insurance-no idea where anything is in the house as far as paperwork is concerned but we lucky that the Secretary of State had an opening for me today at 4. We lost one of our group so it’s just me and a buddy…. Poor guy spent last week replacing the broken frame on the XB12SS he bought recently and has a CEL as well as a van that decided to not start after a hard rain. Bummer, was going to be his first “big boy” trip after graduating and getting an engineering job.

That said, with him not coming, Craig and I can leave earlier and not get into Athens at 1am now!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top