Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/24/2023 5:13:51 PM EDT
Alright fellas, put it on your calendars because this one is an absolute blast and space is very limited.

What: March Moto Madness

Where: Tellico Plains, Tennessee

When: 3-7 Apr 2024

Why: To get absolutely muddy on your $25K ADV bike that only ever sees pavement (and earn a little cred in the process).

Who: @Canoeguy, @Corruptor, @GaryM, @SBRChris, @TheOtherDave, @1literDuceater, and anybody else I've missed or who is interested.

Registration opens 1 Nov 2023 and they're limiting space to 800 participants.

March Moto Madness Info & Registration

This is a great event - in addition to the hill climbs, skills clinics, and whatnot, they also organize trail rides in the area.  Highly recommended that you have an ADV bike, a dual sport bike, or a street-legal trail bike.

I'll be camping on site with my son.  Additionally, there are other places to stay in Tellico like Smitty's Lodge and Mecca RV Park.

This is *the* big kickoff event in the SE every spring, and you don't want to miss it.  There'll be motorcycle vendors as well, so if you want to test ride that new R1300GS, you'll probably have an opportunity to do so.

Hope to see you guys there!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Travel Vlog: March Moto Madness 2023
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks very fun. Only a 12 hour ride for me
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Squatch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UtHNOa388
View Quote

That looks like, so, much, fun!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:25:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#4]
Absolutely 100% in.

It’s ridiculous. Watching big adv bikes do an insane off-road course and an incredible hill climb…you betcha.

Bring a warm sleeping bag fellows.

ETA: I am bringing the GSA.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Also…it may be time to start doing shirts or stickers or something.

The first time we got together as a group was kickass. The second time, albeit small, was awesome with the drunken slow races.

I damn sure won’t miss this one because the event itself is wild!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

The first time we got together as a group was kickass. The second time, albeit small, was awesome with the drunken slow races.

View Quote

Good idea!

I got permission from @Goatboy to use the boltface logo last time, but never got around to designing something - do we still have the green light to use it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
This sounds like a lot of fun.  I’ll have to pencil it in
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#8]
I’m in for the street portion again, and I should be able to bring a few buddies..

ETA: It’s a hard call to tell people where to stay-my room at the Tellico Lodge was one of the nicest places I have ever stayed and it’s totally motorcycle oriented. But I was only there when I was too tired to hang with the boys and probably not entirely safe to ride the 1/2 mile to the camp they were in. Definitely the difference between the two places is that one is oriented to off road riders and the other to street riders.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Interested but April is damn long time from now. Will see how things are shaking out as we get closer. No need for a room this time. I will drive the adventure hoopty, a self contained highway capable minivan that protects itself by looking like it was abandoned in the woods.
Might even have different bike by then, The KLR is over 55k rough miles and feeling the pain.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure what I will be doing but should be around, who ever brought the "death cheese" be there and if possible bring a brick extra (forgot what it was called but think it had like ghost peppers in it).
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
Not sure what I will be doing but should be around, who ever brought the "death cheese" be there and if possible bring a brick extra (forgot what it was called but think it had like ghost peppers in it).
View Quote

@TheOtherDave
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]

@TheOtherDave
View Quote

I think that was Trinidad Scorpion cheese, it’s hotter than the Habanero Ghost I get. I might have a block in the freezer, not sure-my wife took a block of it with us to the cabin as though we were going to kill the whole thing in a weekend, lol. It ended up back in the freeezer.

I’ll try to stop in Pinconning and get more between now and then and maybe something not as hot for the toddlers around the campfire…;)
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm absolutely in.  I scheduled vacation for it the day after my return from Barber

@TN-MadDog
@tree-hugger

View Quote

Good idea!
I got permission from @Goatboy to use the boltface logo last time, but never got around to designing something - do we still have the green light to use it?
View Quote

I have a good idea and access to the means to pull it off, but could use a bit of help if artwork is your thing...
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
IN !!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]
As an aside, I literally ordered a professional press for printing shirts today. I got sick of being jacked around with the shops and delays for our merch.

So…if we decide to do that, I know a guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
As an aside, I literally ordered a professional press for printing shirts today. I got sick of being jacked around with the shops and delays for our merch.

So…if we decide to do that, I know a guy.
View Quote

LOL

Well I will congratulate you on the purchase....not so much for the reason to have to make the purchase though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Is everyone planning to camp at the event grounds?

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By corruptor:
Is everyone planning to camp at the event grounds?

View Quote

I am going to try to snag a cabin at Smitty's.  I don't think he's accepting reservations that far out quite yet, but I'll give him a call this week to inquire.

Be nice to have showers, a bed, campfire, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]

I am going to try to snag a cabin at Smitty's.  I don't think he's accepting reservations that far out quite yet, but I'll give him a call this week to inquire.

Be nice to have showers, a bed, campfire, etc.
View Quote

I'm about 50/50 on that plan.  Having watched a few videos it looks like the event camp grounds are pretty busy and would be a lot of fun, but I'm with you on the amenities at Smitty's.

I'm also trying to decide if I'm buying my ticket with the meal plan or without.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]

I'm about 50/50 on that plan.  Having watched a few videos it looks like the event camp grounds are pretty busy and would be a lot of fun, but I'm with you on the amenities at Smitty's.

I'm also trying to decide if I'm buying my ticket with the meal plan or without.
View Quote

The rally site is busy. Though not necessarily wild at night. My vote would be the rally site if it werent for the fact that the bathrroms are horrible and wont flush. The showers are in a bus and are really quite bad. Add in I am just old and dont love the ground anymore. But I am certainly up for whatever in whatever direction we go. Cabin...great. Drunk at the rally...great.

But again let me emphasize to everyone that the nights are cold.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Smitty's sound great to me.

I'll likely bring my small enclosed trailer this time.  Save on fuel and still be plenty comfortable.  That Mr. Heater Buddy really works well, no matter what the temperature.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to make it annoying it’s that time of year where the days are often quite warm. So you start in the morning insulated and have to drop layers and then go the other direction again in the evening.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks fun, but playing in the snow more funner.  I'm out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:52:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corruptor] [#24]
Smitty's it is.

Anyone buying meals with the ticket pack? $210 with meals, $160 without.  I'm thinking not, but if y'all want to do group dinners there that's fine too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#25]
@hard_rock
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Smitty's it is.

Anyone buying meals with the ticket pack? $210 with meals, $160 without.  I'm thinking not, but if y'all want to do group dinners there that's fine too.
View Quote

If we stay at Smittys then that is a big no for me as the food was less than mediocre.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#27]

If we stay at Smittys then that is a big no for me as the food was less than mediocre.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Smitty's it is.

Same.

Plus, I'll only be getting a couple day tickets...my son is driving up from school for that weekend and we can only stay Thurs eve thru Sun AM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mech4matsnova] [#28]
I'm in(+1, my brother, KLR)

We'll be looking to camp with the group, I'm on a BMW G650x Challenge.  Been wanting to go to Tellico anyway(5hr away)

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Same.

Plus, I'll only be getting a couple day tickets...my son is driving up from school for that weekend and we can only stay Thurs eve thru Sun AM.
View Quote

Same timeframe for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Good enough.  I'll skip the meal plan and will pack a good cooler instead.  I'll likely trailer up again and should have cooler space for 1-2 others if needed.

I'm going to shoot for Wednesday arrival and Sunday departure.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe we can do pizza without the ants this time...
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 12:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#32]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
View Quote

...and toss out half the nutriants...

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#33]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/greta-how-dare-you-3003176.gif

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476040/greta-how-dare-you-3003176.gif

I almost needed a new keyboard and monitor from that one!

Too funnie!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Just want to throw it out there that the Tellico Lodge is 1/2 miles up the road from Smitty’s and is one of the nicest places I have stayed. But, it’s also $125 a night.

Like Smitty’s, it’s motorcycle oriented and busy so you’ll want to get rooms early.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
The online registration banner now says Nov 15th, but I had it marked for the 1st (today) and was able to complete my order (full pass, no meals).

When the time comes to reserve space at Smitty's I'm planning to tent camp but will fill a bunk if an extra body is needed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
The online registration banner now says Nov 15th, but I had it marked for the 1st (today) and was able to complete my order (full pass, no meals).

When the time comes to reserve space at Smitty's I'm planning to tent camp but will fill a bunk if an extra body is needed.
View Quote

Reading thru the thread again, I see that I not only repeated in my last post when I said in my first post, but I also missed that there will be 800 people for this off road event. I’m wondering it I will even get a room at this point…
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Reading thru the thread again, I see that I not only repeated in my last post when I said in my first post, but I also missed that there will be 800 people for this off road event. I’m wondering it I will even get a room at this point…
View Quote

Its a huge weekend for Tellico Plains. Many, if not most stay on site and I will too if the cabin is out. I will be buying a new tent however. One of those big honking Redverz expedition tents. Not really for much on the bike but just to have for the wife and I on the very rare instance we camp.

I am holding off on tickets to see if I need to pay for camping. Don't get me wrong, the camping isnt terrible. There is a shower of sorts in an old bus. There are prota-jons as well. There are flushing toilets but the water pressure is so low they take forever to refil and never really flush when there is a crowd such as in the morning. The food is also indeed mediocre.

BUT...the skills courses and hill climb are off the hook to watch!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#38]
After re-reading the OP - The 800 participant limit means we still need a ticket to spectate.  What does it cost to be one of the 800 participants?

As a participant, what will you be participating in?  Hill climbs, back roads w/ creak crossing, ????
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#39]
After re-reading the OP - The 800 participant limit means we still need a ticket to spectate.  What does it cost to be one of the 800 participants?

As a participant, what will you be participating in?  Hill climbs, back roads w/ creak crossing, ????
View Quote

No. It’s 800 allowed into the festival site. You just sign up for the events… but you better be good.

The events are about half a day and then the hill climb that night. It’s well laid out but amateur and laid back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#40]

No. It’s 800 allowed into the festival site. You just sign up for the events… but you better be good.

The events are about half a day and then the hill climb that night. It’s well laid out but amateur and laid back.
View All Quotes

Thank you.

Will there be any riding like we did in May?  Dual Sport / Adventure stuff?  If so, will that be on our own, part of a larger group we may make friends with, or something 'sanctioned' by the hosts of this event?

Is there any danger of not being able to get a ticket?  When would be 'dangerous close' to getting a ticket before it's too late?
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Thank you.

Will there be any riding like we did in May?  Dual Sport / Adventure stuff?  If so, will that be on our own, part of a larger group we may make friends with, or something 'sanctioned' by the hosts of this event?

Is there any danger of not being able to get a ticket?  When would be 'dangerous close' to getting a ticket before it's too late?
View Quote

Oh absolutely on the riding. I think they do some larger group rides but they also have some good route suggestions. Though when I was there I was completely lost. But it didn’t matter as there were riders everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:09:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#42]
I will be buying a new tent however. One of those big honking Redverz expedition tents.
View Quote

LOL...those things are ridiculous.

You're out there all day, tearing it up in the mud and rocks, your bike is absolutely filthy.  Nope...can't leave it out all by itself at night...there might be a spot of dew in the morning...better make sure the tent has a garage.

@canoeguy when he rolls into MMM:

Attachment Attached File

(Kidding of course)
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Ran into an ADV guy I met last year at the 1300GS unveiling here in Detroit last week, sounds like he’s down so I have 4-6 interested in coming down but it looks like they will all be street riding.

I don’t mind leading again if people are ok with that, and I’ll have my GSXR this time which has GPS with power wired to the bike. I couldn’t power it properly last time because the tank bag made it a problem and that robbed us of some riding opportunities my wife recommended (she’s been down there a lot riding before she met me).
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#44]
Smitty's is showing camping is open for reservations, but everything is booked except both camping with and without electricity.

I won't need electricity, so $15 per night.

Anyone in our group get one of the cabins?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Smitty's is showing camping is open for reservations, but everything is booked except both camping with and without electricity.

View Quote

If it is camping then we might as well do it at the festival grounds in my opinion….
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#46]

If it is camping then we might as well do it at the festival grounds in my opinion….
View All Quotes

I'm good with however it shakes out.

If anyone already reserved accommodations requiring a deposit, let us know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump.

I don’t know how time sensitive these reservations and Ricky purchases are, but a quick bump none-the-less.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I am buying my ticket but skipping the meals. They were shit and Hardee’s is just down the road. Plus they have food trucks part of the time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I think I am buying my ticket but skipping the meals. They were shit and Hardee’s is just down the road. Plus they have food trucks part of the time.
View Quote

That's what I did.  I'm trailering in, so adding a cooler and real food is no big deal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#50]

That's what I did.  I'm trailering in, so adding a cooler and real food is no big deal.
View All Quotes

Plus they have some food trucks on site.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top