Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/19/2024 9:58:41 AM EDT
American Airlines flight attendants haven't had a raise since 2019. At the end of that year their contract became amendable, and the value of their wages has been substantially eroded since then by more than 20% inflation.

A new contract was delayed first by the pandemic
   The process of negotiating all the myriad details is a long one. The current agreement (that flight attendants didn't even approve) runs over 325 pages. And that doesn't count a separate 15 page attendance policy and 18 page uniform policy among others.
   Plus, union politics (effectively needing to wait for incumbent officers to be re-elected) meant further delay.

Boston-based first and second year American Airlines flight attendants are eligible for food stamps. American Airlines even gives newly-hired flight attendants a letter attesting to their poverty.

The letter states that a new flight attendant will have a "projected annual salary [of] $27,315 per year before incentives and taxes" and concludes, "Any courtesy you can provide would be appreciated."

Here are some key things to understand about this pay.

The lineholder minimum guarantee is 71 hours per month. A flight attendant working reserve is guaranteed 75 hours per month. Many cabin crew do work more than that.

Those are hours from push back to arrival. Those hours do not include time at the airport, connecting between flights, or boarding planes.

Flight attendants can make more than the minimum in the American Airlines letter, but it's tough to live on $30,000 a year at the start. In inflation-adjusted terms that's what the $21,000 I made right out of school is worth today. Those were some of the best times of my life! Lower incomes can be fine with roommates, without unexpected major expenses, and if you're not trying to support a family. Many flight attendants do side work, though a second job is tough since they don't have consistent schedules month-to-month.

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:01:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TarzanT] [#1]
Where’s my peanuts?

Edit…. That’s $26.50 an hour to start.  The sucky part would be waiting for a delayed flight or long turn times between flights.  The senior FA’s bid the international flights - longer hours with fewer dead time plus hotels.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
But you get to see the wooooorld!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I had no idea they were paid that terribly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Should’ve learned to code.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Should've learned to code.
View Quote
#bootstraps
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My previous neighbor is an AA Flight attendant

Super nice, but ya they get paid shit to do a shitty job

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been personally involved with a few FA’s and they don’t make shit at first. Along with not getting paid unless they are on the plane and working in the air.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Geez, now I know why they all have such shitty attitudes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Used to be a glamorous and respectable job. Now they are treated as no more than Walmart greeters with Walmart cliental trapped for hours in a tin can dealing with bullshit. They should be replaced with LEO & CO trainees as part of curriculum.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
They know the wage before accepting the job.  They should be paid while at the airport between flights.  At 75-hours a month that is a part time job.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
Geez, now I know why they all have such shitty attitudes.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Are they paid for hotels, meals, cars/uber, dry cleaning when away from their home base?
With seniority benefits might be great if you like to travel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Good thing they’re unionized so that they have to pay somebody to look out for their best interests.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LostX:
View Quote
On a shorstring budget.  Can't help but feel they bought the glamour but what kept them in the job.  Meeting 1st Class folks?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:32:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#16]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
#metoo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
#metoo

Wait - you mean there are careers where you don't make that much money at first, but then it improves as you gain skill and seniority?

Sounds crazy.

After college, starting my professional career, I made less than 1/3rd the typical income for the role.  If you gained skills, proved yourself, and stayed with it, you could triple your income in 5 years.  That's just how it worked.

I had a roommate in a cheap apartment, split all the bills, and droved older used cars for the first 10 years of my career.

Sounds whiny.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
#metoo
View All Quotes
#metoo

Show me on the doll where the male flight attendant touched you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:
I have been personally involved with a few FA’s and they don’t make shit at first. Along with not getting paid unless they are on the plane and working in the air.
View Quote
They aren't on the clock until the cabin door is closed, so they can't claim workman's comp for injuries lifting luggage. That's why they won't help little old ladies put their gigantic oversized bags in the overhead compartment and try to get other passengers to do it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to 1980. Been that way forever. Used to be the same for newhire regional pilots and first year major airline pilots.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
Welcome to 1980. Been that way forever. Used to be the same for newhire regional pilots and first year major airline pilots.
View Quote

The old joke about the difference between a large pizza and a regional right-seater.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#21]
so, guess this means that you're going to start seeing "tip" jars at the check in/boarding kiosk next...
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Tough to make money in that business and investors in airlines usually regret doing so.

“If a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down. Investors have poured money into a bottomless pit, attracted by growth when they should have been repelled by it.”
--- Warren Buffet on his investment in US Airways

https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/stocks/why-airline-stocks-are-a-bad-deal
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
My cunt SIL was an AA stew for over thirty years. Now she can't afford a car and bitches that she "can't travel and shop" in her retirement years. I suggested she flatback to make ends meet. Looked down her SMU nose at my wife and demeaned her for years on end because my wife didn't have a college degree. Wife and I are in Europe traveling and shopping for two weeks. Hmmm. Looks like starting and building a business was a better plan after all. Oh well,,,we'll have a coke later on.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#24]
They make plenty for a job that requires no degree and little in the way of training.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Dealing with drunk shitheads on a plane is a sucky job, especially in an enclosed environment without external relief.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Used to be a glamorous and respectable job. Now they are treated as no more than Walmart greeters with Walmart cliental trapped for hours in a tin can dealing with bullshit.
View Quote

Used to have certain physical standards too, or so I hear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:16:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#27]
Their hourly wages aren’t bad. The problem is they’re literally only paid while onboard the plane. They don’t get paid while stuck in an airport or hotel waiting their next flight. They might spend 60+ hours a week at work, but only get paid for 20. It’s kinda shitty, but they signed up for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#28]
they way they get paid is bullshit and make zero fucking sense TBH.

Pilot and FA pay only accounts for 1% of airline expenses.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SideCarGT] [#29]
And, they could have had a good raise months ago, but their union leaders are holding out for brain surgeon rates.

BTW, they negotiated higher hourly rates in exchange for only getting paid while on board. They specifically made that choice and now regret it and want both higher rates and getting paid off the plane.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:
Their hourly wages aren’t bad. The problem is they’re literally only paid while onboard the plane. They don’t get paid while stuck in an airport or hotel waiting their next flight. They might spend 60+ hours a week at work, but only get paid for 20. It’s kinda shitty, but they signed up for it.
View Quote

And everyone wonder's why they try to have sex with the pilots
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Used to be a glamorous and respectable job. Now they are treated as no more than Walmart greeters with Walmart cliental trapped for hours in a tin can dealing with bullshit. They should be replaced with LEO & CO trainees as part of curriculum.
View Quote

Respectable? lol

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By midcap:

View Quote
So what makes up the other 99%, plane payment & maintenance?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Which airline(s) have, or do, you operate?

Airline payrolls account for around 35% of an airline's operating expenses. For this reason, airlines are quick to lay people off whenever there is a downturn in traffic.

https://simpleflying.com/biggest-expenses-airlines-guide/

Labor is the biggest operating cost of an airline, accounting for approximately 31% of operational expenses as of 2023, although it varies by carrier. It's followed by fuel: 22% of operational expenses.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/040715/what-are-major-expenses-affect-companies-airline-industry.asp
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LostX:
View Quote

Ie you get to get drunk in other countries. Big whoop
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

To be fair, most women from every station in life try to have sex with pilots... because pilots are awesome
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Ass, gas or grass and we get drug tested.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Colo303:

Ie you get to get drunk in other countries. Big whoop
View Quote

Shit. Getting blitzed in a dive bar in Gary Indiana is worth it!

Oh. You said other countries.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#38]
So does America Airlines just really suck, is Glassdoor wrong, or do the wages of the senior flight attendants bring the curve up by quite a bit?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I worked at a hotel that was the layover spot for SWA flight crew.  Even in the early 2000s, they were always complaining about their wages.  I drove the airport shuttle so I got the skinny on some of their issues.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Dealing with drunk shitheads on a plane is a sucky job, especially in an enclosed environment without external relief.
View Quote
That's probably fairly rare.  I've been on hundreds of flights, never seen it really.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#41]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
So does America Airlines just really suck, is Glassdoor wrong, or do the wages of the senior flight attendants bring the curve up by quite a bit?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/Screenshot_20240519_223458_Samsung_Inter-3218173.JPG
View Quote

There’s probably a wide range like anything else.

A&P mechanic wages range from $20/hr to $100/hr.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:

There’s probably a wide range like anything else.

A&P mechanic wages range from $20/hr to $100/hr.
View Quote

It says average is $84k

I'm drinking heavily so "user error" isn't out of the question here
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#43]
That’s what the lack of a firm handshake, no eye contact, and refusal to bootstrap will get you. If only that had a roommate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#44]
If they fly from say NC to MI and spend 24 hours in MI before getting on another flight what happens? Do they have to secure their own lodging/meals/etc?  I had no idea FA’s were paid so poorly. Is the same for pilots? Are they off the clock between flights too?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By warlord:
View All Quotes

A 787 burns about 10,000 pounds of fuel per hour.  That's about 1,500 gallons of Jet-A.

Obviously the airlines are doing contract rate for a better cost, but locally Jet-A is over seven dollars per gallon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
If they fly from say NC to MI and spend 24 hours in MI before getting on another flight what happens? Do they have to secure their own lodging/meals/etc?  I had no idea FA’s were paid so poorly. Is the same for pilots? Are they off the clock between flights too?
View Quote

The airline pays for the hotel and I'm fairly certain they get per diem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Fuel. Landing and navigation fees. 120,000 non-crew employees, leases on buildings, ground equipment, training facilities, aircraft leases, stock buybacks (in AA’s case)…

That’s a start.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Duke117:

To be fair, most women from every station in life try to have sex with pilots... because pilots are awesome
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
View Quote

24 hours off? Again, welcome to 1980. Try 11 from brakes parked to an hour before brake release.

Pilots usually don’t lay over with the FA’s because their work rules allow them to work longer days than pilots.

The company pays for lodging. Hourly per diem to cover meal expenses.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

The good looking ones get married to a pilot fairly quickly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top