Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/16/2024 7:56:59 AM EDT
When I was 12-15 I push mowed yards and raked leaves around the neighborhood, hauled hay and staked tobacco on small family farms.

Now, 30 years later and my son is 14. All of the mowing is done by adults as a full time career or as a side job and all of the farm labor is being done by migrant workers.

It’s only a matter of time before grown ups start lifeguarding at all the local pools.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
According to Mayor Adams the illegals are great lifeguards.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Obama
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
When I was 12-15 I push mowed yards and raked leaves around the neighborhood, hauled hay and staked tobacco on small family farms.

Now, 30 years later and my son is 14. All of the mowing is done by adults as a full time career or as a side job and all of the farm labor is being done by migrant workers.

It's only a matter of time before grown ups start lifeguarding at all the local pools.
View Quote
Yeah, I think I am the only one in my neighborhood that mows his own lawn.  Everyone has a lawn service.  Granted, many of the houses are now AirBNB, but even before they were, lawn service.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I noticed the same thing with fast food, pizza joints, & gas stations over the years.  Perfectly fine job for a kid, but the entire industry seems to be staffed by middle aged folks now.  

20-30 years ago there was one older person to run the show and mostly teenagers doing all the work at these types of places.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Because some people never grew up and made it a career.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
View Quote

Awsome brain fart there ehh? What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My daughter worked at a smoothie shop and pizza place during high school. She graduates this weekend. It was all teenagers working at both places for the most part, adult owned and kids in their 20’s managed.

There were a few illegals at the pizza place. Cooking, and  washing dishes.

Lawn guys here are all illegals for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I grew up in the 80s and 90s.  When I was kid I had a friend who lived a block up and street and his dad had a lawn service on the side. That because a full time thing and company for his son, my friend.  For all I know he still does it.

Point of story, this isn't a new thing.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Paper boy is now an adult job as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was a teen I was doing adult jobs, so I guess it goes both ways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4thbreak] [#11]
Chick-fil-a seems to still hire younger workers, rather than the career fast food crowd.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]
i see a lot of teens who dont work like we did.  mommy n daddy have them too involved in school sportsballs and activities and shelter them from the scary real world
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pedaler] [#13]
On the mowing and yardwork.....I think part of is people not wanting to get sued if the kid gets hurt.   Another part is many kids don't want to do the work....or want what the full service lawn guy gets paid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#14]
When I worked at places as a teenager in the mid 90s it was almost all teenagers. Even the managers were at best early 20s college kids.

My last "kid job" was as a yard hand in a lumber yard. The entire crew was high school kids. Our boss was early 20s guy who was a hard worker but a burn out. He still works there 30 years later
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
i see a lot of teens who dont work like we did.  mommy n daddy have them too involved in school sportsballs and activities and shelter them from the scary real world
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#16]
My paper route got taken over by adults way back when.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#19]

It’s only a matter of time before grown ups start lifeguarding at all the local pools.
View Quote

Yeah, back when fast food was decent you would walk in and most either high school or college kids...probably one or two people over 30.  I was in a hurry one morning and stopped by a Hardee's.  I don't think anyone working was under 45.

There are no real jobs today in manufacturing.  I mean how many cell phones do we make here Vs China or other countries.  Also computers and innovation have taken away jobs.  As a kid I would see a garbage truck, two guys hanging off the back and one driving.  Now I see one driving and someone inside working a hydraulic arm to grab the can.

Still have to leave this here...
THANKS FBC AND NAFTA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I started roofing on the weekends at 15. Most picking up trash and carrying bundles up the ladder.

At 16 I started spending summers working on a commercial lobster boat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
I noticed the same thing with fast food, pizza joints, & gas stations over the years.  Perfectly fine job for a kid, but the entire industry seems to be staffed by middle aged folks now.  

20-30 years ago there was one older person to run the show and mostly teenagers doing all the work at these types of places.
View Quote

This is what my son has been dealing with for months trying to find another job, all of the traditional HS kid jobs are now adults
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
Child labor laws are ruining this country.
View Quote
In 1920 we took children out of the coal mines.
in 2020, the most popular video game on the market is minecraft.

The children yearn for the mines.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:

View Quote

From my recollection of fast food work it's probably better to have adults because the shit my bosses pulled on kids should have landed them in hot water with CPS and the cops.

The most hazardous thing for a working teen is a fast food manager.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Idiocracy was Nostradamus on a screen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

This is what my son has been dealing with for months trying to find another job, all of the traditional HS kid jobs are now adults
View Quote

The local grocery store always needs stockers.
Some chains stock during the day and some at night depending on store volume sales.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By maddmatt:
When I was a teen I was doing adult jobs, so I guess it goes both ways.
View Quote

I never had a "starter" or "kid" job.
As soon as I was old enought to hold a hawk and knife (6 or 7 yo) I spent all non school time learning to finish drywall. I didn't have a regular summer or holiday vacation like most of you did. I quit school at 17 and went straight to work that day and made a living and a successful drywall company. I made a good living and retired at 43 and called it good enough for me. I'm having my childhood now, LOL.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#28]
When I worked at BN, it was all college kids working except for the management staff and a few senior citizens.

Now it’s almost all middle aged people, with a small handful of college kids. The switch was flipped one Christmas season and nothing has changed in a decade.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
My first job at 16 was a bagger at the local Food Lion. I am over 40 now and the bagger/cart attendant is significantly older than me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Lol, I lived in Pembroke ky 21yrs ago, all hay and tobacco labor was central American then.  I'll agree with the yard mowing, but is that because mowing Co moved in or because finding reliable kids got hard?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

And they're mostly already wet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#32]
Baskin Robbins and Chik-A-Fila are the only two places, off the top of my head, where I see kids under 18 employed.

I don't think I've seen a kid mowing a lawn in years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N1150x:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf_zps44023202_JPG-109.jpg

He's not wrong.  I know several friends that run their kids from sports camp to sports camp and Plat different leagues yr round.  Their kids have zero chores or work, no real responsibilities, and unless they go pro(lol) are gonna have a rude awakening at some point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#34]
As a teen, I started working by delivering newspapers, then moved onto bagging groceries, raked blueberries for part of one summer, and then finished high school working in fast food.

Newspaper routes have all but gone the way of the dodo bird as most people get their news online. There's one small grocery store here in town which still hires teens as cashiers and baggers, but there aren't many large chains where I see it other than Publix. Agricultural work everywhere, even where I raked blueberries in Maine, is done primarily by migrant workers these days. When I worked fast food, the few adults with whom I worked were the managers and the people who worked the weekday breakfast and lunch shift while we were in school. Now, it seems adults are working at any given time of day and they outnumber the high school aged workers at least 2:1.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
My son just got his first job at the local taco joint. He treated me to dinner last night and I was shocked that nearly the entire crew were adults.  
I blame the decline in manufacturing, where someone could walk out of high school and into a steady job as well as the decline in vocational education.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBBQGuy] [#36]
Originally Posted By eolian:

Some chains stock during the day and some at night depending on store volume sales.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eolian:
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

Overnight stockers and have to be 18 here, at our two local grocery stores the majority of the baggers and cashiers are adults, either college aged or retirement age.

Also, many of the retail and food places around us have gone to 18 and up for hiring
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Last year my broken ass had to go help another farm out. Old guy in his 80s fkn high school kids wouldn't throw hay for $15, The two he got for $20 an hr  lasted a couple days and one quit. Couple days later the other quit.  

Friends kid needed to raise money for a school trip. Parents wanted him to work for it. We made up a list of stuff he could do at our place (All weeky chore type stuff). That he could do all summer.  Cut the lawn (with a 54" riding mower. (No bagging or raking) weed wack around the house and shop ( its just edging) The lawn and weed wacking probably takes an hour total. $50 a week. Plus Nat said she would give him $20 an hr for any additional chores he wanted to do like weeding, barn work, stacking hay, cutting fields (In an air conditioned cab tractor) If he was comfortable doing any of it.

Never even showed up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DH243:

He's not wrong.  I know several friends that run their kids from sports camp to sports camp and Plat different leagues yr round.  Their kids have zero chores or work, no real responsibilities, and unless they go pro(lol) are gonna have a rude awakening at some point.
View Quote

This is the norm now and if you arent part of that click, you arent cool.  

Click and likes... clicks and likes
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I was a young adult, I worked at my uncle's gas station pumping gas.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hill_monkey:

In 1920 we took children out of the coal mines.
in 2020, the most popular video game on the market is minecraft.

The children yearn for the mines.
View Quote

I saw the Tremont child mining experiment in 2022. It was pretty conclusive.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#42]
"Migrant workers"

Don't use the left-tard's language.

Criminal aliens.

Criminals. That's what they are.

Shame, Shame.jpg
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N1150x:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/LOL-UMAD-BRO1gqf_zps44023202_JPG-109.jpg

Haha no kidding. They will be more than lucky to play in a D1 NCAA University.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#44]
I see more adults in those kind of positions (fast food, pizza, etc.) but there's still work out there. I did painting and construction over the summer during high school and then worked at an auto shop to get started in college.

You just have to be willing to work hard for little pay. I don't know many kids/young adults that are willing to do it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Teens today don't work, they would be dangerous and worthless with a cellphone constantly in action.

Loaded hay bales for 1 summer, brutally hot and exhausting work.  Those jobs are held by immigrants now, same for fast-food places.

Hking
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:

Last year my broken ass had to go help another farm out. Old guy in his 80s fkn high school kids wouldn't throw hay for $15, The two he got for $20 an hr  lasted a couple days and one quit. Couple days later the other quit.  

Friends kid needed to raise money for a school trip. Parents wanted him to work for it. We made up a list of stuff he could do at our place (All weeky chore type stuff). That he could do all summer.  Cut the lawn (with a 54" riding mower. (No bagging or raking) weed wack around the house and shop ( its just edging) The lawn and weed wacking probably takes an hour total. $50 a week. Plus Nat said she would give him $20 an hr for any additional chores he wanted to do like weeding, barn work, stacking hay, cutting fields (In an air conditioned cab tractor) If he was comfortable doing any of it.

Never even showed up.
View Quote

No way!! C'mon now!!!

The ARF younger generation claims they work just as hard, if not harder, than the previous generations and can get it done in less time for more money.

If that were really true, why would businesses hire older, possibly retired people looking for something to do, or just get out of the house?

I don't know, maybe because they're more reliable and do better work?

Nah, nope.......couldn't be that......
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Most of the people in my neighborhood use a lawn service to mow their lawns. The "professionals", middle aged white guys with no skills other than they have a large zero turn mower, very quickly mow their small yards with tall turf type fescue down to about 1". During the summer, the only green part of their lawns are the massive amount of weeds. There are a few that push mow their own lawns every couple weeks, and have even worse looking lawns. Then, there are the few of us that grew up doing lots of mowing and mow our own lawns that have beautiful lawns. If I had a teenager in the house, they would be doing a very good job of mowing my yard, and probably quite a few more yards.

Construction is mostly Hispanic men, with one person speaking English. Virtually no black men in construction here, and the middle aged white guys tend to be criminals, drunks, or addicts.

Fast food is mostly Hispanic women, and grocery checkout is mostly white or black women.

Almost no kids working in this area.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I had to manage about 2 dozen college kids.  They were the bulk of my part time associates.  I had to hire a good base of adults with fixed schedules to ensure proper staffing.  Trying to work around class schedules in addition to extracurricular activities was a nightmare.  I will say that for all the shit people talk about millenials and younger, they were almost always my best workers.  Many of the "adults" were the ones bitching about their pay, or being a troglodyte.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
There's some crazy shit these folks come up with .I suppose they arrive with a laminated card "WORLD CLASS LIFEGUARD'.  Es verdad
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Just about all the fast food places around me are primarily staffed by recent immigrant Central America origin Hispanics. That shifted about 5+ years ago. Teenagers working entry level is few and far between from what I see.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top