Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2024 11:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
This is a new thing here and of course they're unarmed. No doubt they're "observe and report".

For the most part they just stand around the exit being totally useless. One is some young emo-looking kid who sits in a folding chair scrolling on his phone.

Gee, I feel safer already
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The ALDI I shop at has like 3 employees in the whole store.  They adding 30% more staff?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
So it's like two security guards per cashier? Sounds untenable given the entire premise of their business model.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The idea of having security guards at a regular business, let alone a grocery store, is so foreign to my brain that I was thinking safety guards, and what would need safety guards at Aldi?
We live in different worlds apparently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw that over year ago in Homestead…makes you check on your car while you’re shopping
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JVD:
The idea of having security guards at a regular business, let alone a grocery store, is so foreign to my brain that I was thinking safety guards, and what would need safety guards at Aldi?
View Quote

Definitely has become a thing in the south.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

View Quote

Because of someone.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Milwaukee has armed guards and locking turnstiles in shoe stores and has for the last 40 yrs or so...when the Air Jordans came out all hell broke loose.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
They put unarmed security guards in the Publix by my house.
It's a pretty colorful neighborhood though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
will see if mine has any, last time I went two weeks ago , there weren't any.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#11]
ITT we play the new exciting!!!! game show, "Does OP live near the 'Hood or Homeless?"
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bennnn:

Because of someone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bennnn:

Because of someone.

The South is MAGA country. That's why.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
They are more of a deterrent than actual security.

I was walking into Kroger the other day and a dude was walking out with a shopping cart just about overflowing with unbagged items.

Employee took about 10 steps out of the door and told him he needed to pay for that. Dude with the cart says, 'Not today sir', and kept walking.

Loss prevention came out but all they can do is take a picture of the perp and the vehicle. I talked to the employee and he said this guy has done the same thing is the past. Nothing they can do about it. Police do not go after them.

I have a family member who works at another Kroger and she said this happens multiple times a day. Many more smaller thefts especially meat. Every shift non-stop people steal. Homeless people will walk in, get a hand cart full of food, and walk right out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

I was walking into Kroger the other day and a dude was walking out with a shopping cart just about overflowing with unbagged items.

Employee took about 10 steps out of the door and told him he needed to pay for that. Dude with the cart says, 'Not today sir', and kept walking.

Loss prevention came out but all they can do is take a picture of the perp and the vehicle. I talked to the employee and he said this guy has done the same thing is the past. Nothing they can do about it. Police do not go after them.

I have a family member who works at another Kroger and she said this happens multiple times a day. Many more smaller thefts especially meat. Every shift non-stop people steal. Homeless people will walk in, get a hand cart full of food, and walk right out.
View Quote
There's a city mission near one of the smaller grocery stores in town. They walk in, take what they want, and walk out without a care in the world.. congregate out front, split their spoils, and loiter eating and drinking what they steal. Somehow the place stays open, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
The ALDI I shop at has like 3 employees in the whole store.  They adding 30% more staff?
View Quote

I was talking to a manage at the ALDI I shop at.  I was shocked at how few total employees they had to cover every shift for every day for that store.  I think it was 8.  She said that new employees spin through quickly...they find out they actually gotta be working their entire shift.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Y U hate price increases?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
All the aldis and some krogers by me have armed security… but I live in Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:50:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fisherman] [#19]
They have yet to militarize mine with a phone and lawn chair equipped teen as described earlier.
My guess is most of the professional boosters still "shop" at W ally W orld locally.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know about now, but years ago Aldi's only took cash.  They got robbed a couple of times.  Pharmacies and Aldis.  Always carry.  Get in.  Get out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#21]
OP fails to tell us.

His ALDI is in the second shittiest part of a the shittiest town in SC.  I am shocked it didn't happen sooner.  

(I am local to OP)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#22]
There isn't a single business in my community that has a security guard of any type. However....there are several business owners here that possess the ability to beat the cum out of anybody causing problems, as well as ladies at the cash registers prepared to shoot you in the face.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#23]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
I don't know about now, but years ago Aldi's only took cash.  They got robbed a couple of times.  Pharmacies and Aldis.  Always carry.  Get in.  Get out.
View Quote

I used Aldi in Germany back in the early 1980's.  Cash only….which was pretty usual as Germans really didn't implement CC's for daily purchases until the late 1980's/early 90's, and the cashiers were so fast it was impossible to keep up….I want to say they the manually keyed the purchases too…no bar code. My wife had a friend that was a cashier there and I want to say they had a certain minimum of items they had to ring in per min or they got canned.

As for security guards around here? Not really. Walmart has some loss prevention folks I'm sure and Home-depot locked wire and some other items but no real physical presence of guards that I've seen. Of course if you get caught shoplifting around here you'll go to jail….that's if the customers don't catch you first. Lol.

That being said I have seem shoplifters in Dollar General maybe 1/2 dozen times over the last few years.  Most of those stores are minimally staffed and the meth-billiies take advantage of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you think armed security has more authority?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#25]
If your Walmart,Aldi etc has armed security that should be your clue it’s time to move.In my area we are about as diverse as a gallon of milk and we have no security in the stores.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#26]
Nvm
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]
The Harris teeter crowd hates the armed security in the stores now. They all voted for lefty bullshit and get mad when the shit water reaches their door step.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's become more of a thing here.  Local Giant Eagle has armed security at the door now and their gas station brand, Get-Go, also has security after 11 pm and reduces the number of entrances you can use.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
This is a new thing here and of course they're unarmed. No doubt they're "observe and report".

For the most part they just stand around the exit being totally useless. One is some young emo-looking kid who sits in a folding chair scrolling on his phone.

View Quote

Spartanburg, Orangeburg, Columbia, Charleston or West Greenville?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#30]
All the grocery stores in my area have off duty police working security most of the time.  I can no longer remember not having them present.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Same world. Different demographics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

View Quote

They are the canary in the coal mine.

They will be the first to be shot because (POS will not know they aren't armed)  so everybody else can run.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Step one, open store.
Step two, loss begins to exceed profit so hire guards.
Step three, close store because criminals don’t care about a hall monitor and the lib elected prosecutor never prosecutes.
Step four, locals who elected said prosecutor cry because of the food desert in their “community”.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Bros if you live in a town where there is security at the stores it's probably an indicator that it's time to move.  I don't think I could live in an area like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kevins_garage] [#35]
I live near several Aldi stores with vastly different demographics.  Some have no security.  Some have armed security.  I have not yet seen unarmed security in the Aldi stores I frequent.  Benn like that for many years now, nothing new.

The funniest was a late 20s/early 30s security guard with his pants hanging about 6" low, underwear very visible, and an m&p in an uncle mikes nylon belt holster about the middle of his thigh flopping around as he walked.  He was really trying hard to keep his pants up with his left hand.  I wanted to take a pic, but it would have been way to obvious and drawn unneeded attention my way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I have my wife cover my 6 while I browse the imported cheese  section
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Bros if you live in a town where there is security at the stores it's probably an indicator that it's time to move.  I don't think I could live in an area like that.
View Quote

This is within Sumter city limits and it is exactly as you suspect. Main Street has a couple of nice restaurants and a legit brewery but otherwise the city of Sumter is a shit hole.

I live rurally, 15 miles away from this but have shopped in that Aldi if I happen to be in the area and need something.

I am my own security guard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

this. theres one person that (sometimes) mans a register. Usually nobody to be found.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Having grown up & lived in a "high trust" society, it is sad to see it decay around us.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#40]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

View Quote

Aldi has been using offduty police for security for a few years now here.   I’ve yet to see any of the places using private security
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Honest people pay for this in the form of higher grocery prices and inflation on all other goods.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Same here.  If I walk into a gas station, and they have bulletproof glass cages for the cashiers, I GTFO of that area asap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Back when I lived in the hood our Aldi's always had armed security.

Down here, where I'm at now we have noting but Walmart and Dollar Gen, but when I drive up to the next town that has an Aldi, no security and the place is much newer, nicer and cleaner then the one where I used to live....  
It almost reminds me of a Schnucks or a Dierbergs, if any of you have those around...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Fred Meyer/Kroger is the only store in my area
that has armed guards and someone putting a
checkmark on your receipt on the way out.

Prices have gone up on a few things of course.

I no longer shop there because of receipt checking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#45]
My somewhat local Sam's Club has undercover security I believe as twice I have noticed a "shopper" without a cart wandering around just looking at items but not buying anything.

I normally notice little as I know exactly what I want, find it, pay for it, and leave.

The only other thing I have noticed is that around 90% of the shoppers are South Americans which is strange as that is not or was not the demographic of the area.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#46]
There’s a chain here that has off duties and unarmed security in their highly vibrant locations. Still doesn’t help.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Stump70:
Fred Meyer/Kroger is the only store in my area
that has armed guards and someone putting a
checkmark on your receipt on the way out.

Prices have gone up on a few things of course.

I no longer shop there because of receipt checking.
View Quote

You have issues with receipt checking?

Never shop at Sam’s.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#49]
We have a small market where they now have a guard who stands at the entry door which is separate from the exit. It is not because we are a hot bed for shoplifting but apparently to stop dip shit teens from riding their bicycles into the store because they were dared to do it so it can be put on social media.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
As we become more of a no trust society this shit will be more common.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top