Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 9:29:57 PM EDT
My eldest kid asked for a network rack for their birthday.

I gave them my slightly used 12U rack and my old 1G switch. That switch is not connected, yet.

I have a UI enterprise pro 24 port POE main switch. Will that 1G switch work correctly if its plugged into my POE switch or do I need an aggregation switch to connect the two switches?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be fine plugged into your switch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:

I gave them my slightly used 12U rack and my old 1G switch. That switch is not connected, yet.

I have a UI enterprise pro 24 port POE main switch. Will that 1G switch work correctly if its plugged into my POE switch or do I need an aggregation switch to connect the two switches?
View Quote
Strange request for a kid, but pretty cool.  I'd oblige them. Is he/she/them going to a CCNA boot camp or something similar?
The St. Louis public tech schools have networking curriculum now, dang kids can graduate with a Diploma for HS and a CCNA or CCNP...

On your UI POE switch just make sure you can either shut POE off or that it will sense and shut it off.   I have a few switchs that when I turn on POE, it gives me a warning and says it will damage either the port or device plugged in, if not POE.  If it will or not is a different story.  Rather save a port and not loose one if I don't have too.

Also, sometime when switch to switch, you need to use a cross over cable vs a straight though unless they are auto-sensing that too.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:

View Quote
It should, but may require some reconfiguration, depending on how each switch is configured now. If you're using all vlan1 and unmanaged switches, it should be plug and play.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are you using a switch?
Put a router in instead, and give that lab some isolation from your home's /24.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Concord Aerospace Switches by FredMan, on Flickr

Oops, wrong kind of switch!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
View Quote

Why do that when he could just make a separate VLAN for the lab devices?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:
Originally Posted By SnowMule:

I trashed my wife router when I went with UI products. Currently I have a UI Dream Machine Pro and Enterprise 24 port POE switch. Wifi is provided by an access point.

Good idea about the vlan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top