Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 36 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Chef, this isn't a recipe request, but instead a technique request. How the heck do I chop fresh cranberries? I found a cranberry-orange bread recipe that I want to try, but the suckers are hard and round and just roll away. Can I just stick them in the single-serve blender jar on my Ninja?
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By watercat:
Chef, this isn't a recipe request, but instead a technique request. How the heck do I chop fresh cranberries? I found a cranberry-orange bread recipe that I want to try, but the suckers are hard and round and just roll away. Can I just stick them in the single-serve blender jar on my Ninja?
View Quote
Not the Chef, but I have used a Slapchop or something similar.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#3]
View Quote
a food processer works fine, just use pulse mode.

or

old school in chopping moving things...

blanche them and chop them once cooled

crush them between two cutting boards or using a large pan, either, pressing and rolling at the same time until the
pain in the ass fruit/veggies are in a manageable shape
or

chopping in a round designated bowl for chopping with the proper knife like this, there is also an "alaskan knife" called the Ulu that is designed from the indiginous peoples of the cold countries tool box.

great puzzle,,thank you, glad you stopped by..
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MedicBob:

Not the Chef, but I have used a Slapchop or something similar.
View Quote
they work...Mother had one when I was a child, a very long time ago, her's was damn near
indestructible until my brother J. got hold of it and tried to chop up toy soldiers with it...J was always a bit off...
highly doubt today's version is as well built as mothers was when such novelties were of higher quality than they are today.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#5]
What a cool thread!  Just found it while looking for some ideas on venison, so I'll throw a question out - what internal temp for smoking a bone-in venison roast?

I've seen anywhere from 130 (!) to 165 in various 'recipes' online.  I take brisket to 204, but obviously this venison is very lean and I assume it'd turn to leather at that temp.

I've brined overnight in molasses and kosher salt, and my plan is a salt and pepper rub then wrap in bacon to smoke at 225 degrees.  Any tips on a good internal temperature would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:

they work...Mother had one when I was a child, a very long time ago, her's was damn near
indestructible until my brother J. got hold of it and tried to chop up toy soldiers with it...J was always a bit off...
highly doubt today's version is as well built as mothers was when such novelties were of higher quality than they are today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haha! Siblings are great.

a food processer works fine, just use pulse mode.

or

old school in chopping moving things...

blanche them and chop them once cooled

crush them between two cutting boards or using a large pan, either, pressing and rolling at the same time until the
pain in the ass fruit/veggies are in a manageable shape
or

chopping in a round designated bowl for chopping with the proper knife like this, there is also an "alaskan knife" called the Ulu that is designed from the indiginous peoples of the cold countries tool box.

great puzzle,,thank you, glad you stopped by..
Thank you! I'll try these out and hopefully have more success.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey chef, my wife and I just got back from our honeymoon. We ate, drank, and were merry.

Anyways, I had a culinary awakening and want to attempt a creamy mushroom au gratin like the one I had on a filet. Any good recipes I can put on a good piece of beef?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:35:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#8]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
Hey chef, my wife and I just got back from our honeymoon. We ate, drank, and were merry.

Anyways, I had a culinary awakening and want to attempt a creamy mushroom au gratin like the one I had on a filet. Any good recipes I can put on a good piece of beef?
View Quote
Mushroom Au Gratin OR
Mushroom Duxelles??>

Ingredients
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as shiitake, white button, and cremini), stem ends trimmed, finely chopped
Coarse salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until mushrooms have softened and released their liquid, about 7 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high; cook until liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Let cool completely.

often once cooled a bit the duxelle is placed into a cheesecloth and squeezed a bit to drain some more moisture out..then the warm duxelle is mixed with cut in goat cheese and set a side, held warm and used for topping on filets, chicken breast, some fish or even a dip with water crackers and lavash.

Mushroom Au  Gratin

Ingredients
1 pound mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large onions (about 1 3/4 pounds), sliced very thin
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup grated Gruyère
1/4 cup fresh fine bread crumbs

Preparation
In a skillet cook the mushrooms in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until they are softened and most of the liquid they give off has evaporated. Stir in the flour and cook the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes.
In each of six 1 1/2-cup gratin dishes layer the onions, the remaining butter, cut into bits, the mushroom mixture, and salt and pepper to taste, beginning and ending with a layer of onions, and pour 1 tablespoon of the cream over the top of each gratin. In a small bowl combine well the Gruyère and the bread crumbs and sprinkle the mixture over the cream. (Alternatively, the gratin, layered in the same manner, may be prepared in one 2-quart gratin dish.) Bake the gratins in the middle of a preheated 325°F. oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the onions are tender and the tops are golden. The gratins may be prepared 3 hours in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated in a preheated 400°F. oven for 5 minutes, or until they are heated through.

hope that helps
Chef
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#9]
Originally Posted By TGE:
What a cool thread!  Just found it while looking for some ideas on venison, so I'll throw a question out - what internal temp for smoking a bone-in venison roast?

I've seen anywhere from 130 (!) to 165 in various 'recipes' online.  I take brisket to 204, but obviously this venison is very lean and I assume it'd turn to leather at that temp.

I've brined overnight in molasses and kosher salt, and my plan is a salt and
pepper rub then wrap in bacon to smoke at 225 degrees.  Any tips on a good internal temperature would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote
yes TGE I missed this. will do my best to get something up next 48 hours
thank you

OK got a few seconds..
I would personally go to 135 to 140 for that medium temp and dead parasites..like cooking wild pork.. domestic pigs can
be cooked medium rare as worms in commercially fed and slaughtered pork is extremely rare in todays world..were It not being raised
under guidance and eating what it pleased in the wild I'd go a minimum of 140 maybe even 145 degrees to insure any possible bugs are
now meat I'm eating not meat eating me..
try brining in ginger ale over night and garlic, salt and pepper crusting at a slow roast to 140..

CHEF
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Chef - I'm looking for a decent American made roasting pan, stainless preferred and also tri-clad (will be using it both in oven and on flame, no induction though).  I'd really rather not get a Chinese made unit, but if there are decent European manufacturers I can go that route also. Cost is no object, all the good stuff gets passed on to the kids and I'd rather have stuff that'll last a century or more.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By czechsix:
Chef - I'm looking for a decent American made roasting pan, stainless preferred and also tri-clad (will be using it both in oven and on flame, no induction though).  I'd really rather not get a Chinese made unit, but if there are decent European manufacturers I can go that route also. Cost is no object, all the good stuff gets passed on to the kids and I'd rather have stuff that'll last a century or more.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I inherited 99% of any commercial pan I ever used and most were far older than I was at the time of the inheritance. At home
I use a cheap pan I bought for $20 that probably is made by some chicom and folded out in their home press and sold for 2 cents each to the distributor...

BUT I am aware of 3 companies that are manufactured here in the USA..  Cast Aluminum   SurllTable  and Arfcom's all time favorite, LODGE of which I have several pieces and have visited the factory store in South Pittsburgh Tenn(and picked up an AK bayonet for $8 at the local pawn shop)

hope you find what you seek, I could spend 1000's at any of the three but I have enough crap my kids dont want..
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Chef, I found this recipe for slow-cooker lamb shanks with beans. Recipe I'm concerned about using my slow-cooker: the recipe calls for 6 hours on low. My slow cooker boils water on its low setting, so I'm worried that the meat will be inedible after 6 hours. Thoughts? We were considering boiling the beans on the stove for a few hours, then putting the lamb in the pot with the beans, and putting the whole pot in the oven at a really low temperature, like 150.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Chef, I found this recipe for slow-cooker lamb shanks with beans. Recipe I'm concerned about using my slow-cooker: the recipe calls for 6 hours on low. My slow cooker boils water on its low setting, so I'm worried that the meat will be inedible after 6 hours. Thoughts? We were considering boiling the beans on the stove for a few hours, then putting the lamb in the pot with the beans, and putting the whole pot in the oven at a really low temperature, like 150.
View Quote
if our slow cooker boils that quickly I would cut that cooking time by 1/2 and check the lamb at two hours,,cooking beans on the cusp of boiling to 3 hours is gonna make bean mush if you're not watching those either
I would cook the beans to aldente then add the lamb for an hour, hour thirty.. but I don't like mushy beans..
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]

if our slow cooker boils that quickly I would cut that cooking time by 1/2 and check the lamb at two hours,,cooking beans on the cusp of boiling to 3 hours is gonna make bean mush if you're not watching those either
I would cook the beans to aldente then add the lamb for an hour, hour thirty.. but I don't like mushy beans..
View Quote
Thanks chef. I hadn't even thought about the beans... I was being all worried about ruining the lamb. We don't like mushy beans either!
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Chef, I want to make chicken marsala for 12.  I'm thinking I can prep the chicken (batter, lightly fry)  about an hour in advance and keep them make the sauce while the cutlets stay warm in the oven.  When it's time to eat I'll let them soak in the sauce for a bit before serving.

Is this a reasonable way to prep that dish with limited resources?
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cole2534:
Chef, I want to make chicken marsala for 12.  I'm thinking I can prep the chicken (batter, lightly fry)  about an hour in advance and keep them make the sauce while the cutlets stay warm in the oven.  When it's time to eat I'll let them soak in the sauce for a bit before serving.

Is this a reasonable way to prep that dish with limited resources?
View Quote
Absolutely doable.. Just be sure of internal temp of chicken.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Excellent, thank you!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By akethan:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Summer sausage... I want to make it, to try it...I'm not understanding a lot of the basic methods. I don't have a grinder, I don't understand a thing about curing salt, or fermentation...? Is there an easy, foolproof method to make this, or should I stick to hickory farms crap?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 4xDawn:
Summer sausage... I want to make it, to try it...I'm not understanding a lot of the basic methods. I don't have a grinder, I don't understand a thing about curing salt, or fermentation...? Is there an easy, foolproof method to make this, or should I stick to hickory farms crap?
View Quote
I took a charcutrie class about 60 years ago....maybe 80 years ago..who knows...and while I did make  a few sausages, seafood, andoui, boudain, blood, and various links with venison, goat,  boar when such things were "cool" I never really got into it.didnt have time...but This member seems to be moving along with the art..
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#23]
Thanks Chef! Interesting thread, more like a college class, to my elementary school knowledge, but I'll read as it goes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 4xDawn:
Thanks Chef! Interesting thread, more like a college class, to my elementary school knowledge, but I'll read as it goes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Bay leaf...

I have only used store bought dried variety, and I've never noticed any taste from them even after adding several.

What it does, exactly?  And are fresh ones better?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Javak:
Bay leaf...

I have only used store bought dried variety, and I've never noticed any taste from them even after adding several.

What it does, exactly?  And are fresh ones better?
View Quote
Here's an easy way to see what bay leaves  taste like: throw a couple in a pot of water and let it simmer. Taste it after five minutes and you'll probably get a good hit of menthol and eucalyptus (think: Vick's VapoRub). That's the chemical eugenol you're smelling, and it's the biggest constituent in the bay leaf's flavor arsenal of more than 50 compounds.

Let them simmer for longer as they would in a stew—say, an hour or so—and you'll notice that the flavor and aroma will change. The harsh nose-clearing menthol will taper down, while more complex tea-like aromas will start to come forward. Those are the flavors you're looking to add to your soups, stews, and sauces.

Bay leaf, by its very nature, plays second fiddle to other, more prominent flavors. But just as a grind of black pepper, some sautéed anchovies, or a softened leek might not be instantly recognizable in a stew, they add a layer of subtle undertones to your dish.

Dry or Fresh?
Many herbs are close to useless in their dried state. Those little jars of parsley, basil, or cilantro? MEH...while often an only choice. Tender, leafy herbs have highly volatile flavor compounds that dissipate rapidly. All you gain by using them in their dried form is a dusty texture and require much more product than fresh
, often leaving a bitter aftertaste as you've over compensated to bring out the flavor you sought.

Many herbs seem to do just fine when dried. Oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and, yes, bay leaves. It has to do with their growing climate. Hot weather herbs that grow in arid climates tend to have aromatic compounds that are far less volatile (it makes sense, as these are leaves designed to try and retain as much moisture as possible), which means that even after drying, they retain a decent amount of flavor. Freshly dried herbs will remain flavorful for up to a couple of months if they're stored in a cool, dry place.

FRESH IS ALWAYS BEST...always...
Thanks for asking...the threads been missed for some time...
CHEF
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Smoked boneless leg of
lamb

Attachment Attached File

Thanks for everything Chef.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]
You are VERY welcome and that is a PERFECT leg of lamb roast...

have some lamb chops in the freezer, think thats gonna have to be a dinner this week..
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Chef, rosemary is my favorite spice, so I just got a plant. What is the correct way to get fresh rosemary flavor into my meat, without the rather unpleasant leaf texture?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
Chef, rosemary is my favorite spice, so I just got a plant. What is the correct way to get fresh rosemary flavor into my meat, without the rather unpleasant leaf texture?
View Quote
Cooked rosemary is very strong as its stems and leaves contain lots of oil, Simply adding sprigs to the top of roasts or in the cavity of fowl or even under the skin or fat cap is all that's needed.
You can also infuse olive oil by marinating the leaves in the oil, allow 10 days to 2 weeks and sprinkle the oil on what ever pleases you.
Good question,  thanks.
Chef
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Many thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey chef, hope things are going well.

We made a larger batch of comeback sauce than we needed for dinner. What all can I put this on, the catch is it needs to be keto friendly, and that means low to no carbs.

Also, since it is mayo based can I add a spoonful or two to eggs before I scramble them?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]

We made a larger batch of comeback sauce than we needed for dinner. What all can I put this on, the catch is it needs to be keto friendly, and that means low to no carbs.

Also, since it is mayo based can I add a spoonful or two to eggs before I scramble them?
View Quote
For my northern and west coast readers, Comeback sauce is a Mississippi. Cousin to Louisiana remolaude,.
To answer, you can use it on grilled fish, boiled shrimp,  mudbugs, grilled pork chops, broiled tomato, even as a salad dressing on a Cobb salad...
Thanks, hadn't heard comeback sauce in 20 years... I
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeyCoach] [#34]
For my northern and west coast readers, Comeback sauce is a Mississippi. Cousin to Louisiana remolaude,.
To answer, you can use it on grilled fish, boiled shrimp,  mudbugs, grilled pork chops, broiled tomato, even as a salad dressing on a Cobb salad...
View All Quotes

Thank you chef!

Here’s a recipe that we made last night:

1 cup mayo
2 tablespoons sriracha
2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
2 teaspoons Tony Chachere’s Creole

We made our buffalo sauce with Texas Pete hot sauce, butter, and a little garlic powder.

Just stir everything together and it’ll have a pink tinge with suspended spices mixed throughout. You can cut the Tony C’s by half and work it up from there to see how you like the heat.

ETA - for the uninitiated, this is usually used as a chicken finger or fry dipping sauce. I found it is pretty good on fried pork skins.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Very cool thread, just found it
View Quote
Welcome, this is the second one. Check out the first as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:14:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#37]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]

I have been checking the first one, what you need is a glossary so that we don't ask you the same question twice and could find the recipes we want

I know this takes a lot of work from you, thanks for all your effort!
View Quote
think there's a partial glossary in the cooking forum??
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Chef, I’m a farmer. One of my three crops is Canola. Could you explain the difference between the various oils, and which ones you prefer using? I’d like to use Canola oil as much as possible for personal reasons. Are there situations where Canola is either superior or inferior?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Chef, I’m a farmer. One of my three crops is Canola. Could you explain the difference between the various oils, and which ones you prefer using? I’d like to use Canola oil as much as possible for personal reasons. Are there situations where Canola is either superior or inferior?
View Quote
tag for response v
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Yes, yes it is!

But on the flip side, I came up with a good idea
View Quote
bravo...Ranger Snack for you soldier...
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#43]
tag for response v
View All Quotes
tag for response v
GREAT question....Chef is working a consult job...will try to get this answered by the weekend...sorry, I do try to be prompt but time/energy+age*disabilities = WORN OUT
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
boy TG44 You've opened a can of worms....I'm working on the answer

canola, olive, peanut, soy, rapeseed, butter, sunflower, and bears OH MY..
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#46]
Chef,

Is there such a thing as a lower sodium, lower sugar, lox or gravalax?

My last gravalax recipe used a significant (half a cup of both on about 3 pounds of salmon) amount, but, I have no way to know how much is left behind in the liquid, or, how much is held within the fish.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jack19:
Chef,

Is there such a thing as a lower sodium, lower sugar, lox or gravalax?
View Quote
gonna have to assume a big No..sugar and salt are two of the main ingredients in STORE BOUGHT SMOKED SALMON...

so, I'd advise you smoke your own, it's not very hard, if you can grill a decent steak on your BBQ at time..you can
easily smoke fish. they even make baskets that I saw at Bass Pro..tere are a variety of smokers from which to choose, and all can be used to prepare excellent smoked fish. there is an inexpensive, vertical charcoal smokers such as  charcoal Water Smoker. These utilize a water pan inside for moist cooking.  but you can smoke eassily on your green egg or even a char broiler most folks use for grilling steaks

Fish smoking methods vary, but all are based on a few common principles. The following are very generic steps you can use to smoke your own fish. You may want to experiment a little with some different ingredients to create your own brine. Start with the basic brine solution listed below then add what you like to it. Additions to try include lemon juice, garlic cloves, rum, soy sauce, onion salt, garlic powder or other ingredients whose taste you like.

Step 1  Prepare Fish

Place small pan-dressed (gutted, head removed) fish, fillets of fish or pieces of boneless fish with the skin left on one side, in this basic brine solution:

1/2 cup non-iodized salt  salt and sugars can be cut by 1/2 easily
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart water

Stir the ingredients together until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Then place the fish in a bowl, completely cover the pieces with the brine solution and refrigerate. Fish pieces one inch or more thick should be in brine eight to 12 hours. For thinner pieces, six to eight hours is sufficient.

Step 2  Pat Dry Fish

smoking chips

Remove the fish from the brine, and rinse each piece under cold water. Gently pat dry with paper towels, and lay the pieces on a waxed paper to air dry for about one hour.

Step 3  Smoking the Fish

Smoke the fish for two hours in a smoker heated to 200 degrees.you can use said char broiler by banking your coals to the opposite side if where you lay your fish. Use your favorite wood chips or chunks when smoking.
You can cut and dry your own wood or buy prepackaged materials like Western Wood Smoking Chips or Jack Daniel's Wood Smoking Chips. Experiment to find the taste you like most. Good woods for flavoring smoked fish include hickory, alder, apple and cherry. Add more wood chips during the smoking process if necessary, depending on how much smoke taste you want.

fast and loose answer sorry.. best I can offer on the fly..
Chef..

and yes, I am working on the OIL ANSWER...
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#48]
The world wonders!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#49]
The world wonders!!
View Quote
Now home and modum dead....i know i don't believe me either. On phone and typing this a pita...
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
The world wonders!!
View Quote
why yes, yes it does TacticalGarand44

hope this takes you were we wanted to go..
Chef

The easy peasy fast and easy, cute but sleazy response.
Canola oil is made from rapeseed (Brassica napus L.) that has been genetically modified to be low in toxic compounds like erucic acid and glucosinolates, which rapeseed naturally contains. This engineering makes canola oil safe for consumption
Canola processing involves heating, pressing, chemical extraction, and refining. The oil also undergoes bleaching and deodorizing, which give it a neutral color and odor  
On the other hand, olive oil is made from pressed olives, the fruits of the olive tree.
While many types exist, the two most popular are regular or “pure” olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.
Extra virgin olive oil is extracted using only pressing, while regular olive oil contains a combination of virgin (pressed) oil and refined (heated or chemically extracted) olive oil  
Although extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than regular olive oil, it is considered healthier because it’s less refined.
SUMMARY Canola oil is made from genetically modified rapeseeds. Meanwhile, olive oil is made from pressed olives and come in several forms.

The Stability of Cooking Oils
When you're cooking at a high heat, you want to use oils that are stable and don't oxidize or go rancid easily.
When oils undergo oxidation, they react with oxygen to form free radicals and harmful compounds that you definitely don't want to be consuming.
The most important factor in determining an oil's resistance to oxidation and rancidification, both at high and low heat, is the relative degree of saturation of the fatty acids in it.
Saturated fats have only single bonds in the fatty acid molecules, monounsaturated fats have one double bond and polyunsaturated fats have two or more.
It is these double bonds that are chemically reactive and sensitive to heat.
Saturated fats and monounsaturated fats are pretty resistant to heating, but oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats should be avoided for cooking  
Alright, now let's discuss each type of cooking fat specifically.
The Winner: Coconut Oil
When it comes to high heat cooking, coconut oil is your best choice.
Over 90% of the fatty acids in it are saturated, which makes it very resistant to heat.
This oil is semi-solid at room temperature and it can last for months and years without going rancid.
Coconut oil also has powerful health benefits. It is particularly rich in a fatty acid called Lauric Acid, which can improve cholesterol and help kill bacteria and other pathogens
The fats in coconut oil can also boost metabolism slightly and increase feelings of fullness compared to other fats

Fatty Acid Breakdown:
•Saturated: 92%.
•Monounsaturated: 6%.
•Polyunsaturated: 1.6%.
Make sure to choose virgin coconut oil. It's organic, it tastes good and it has powerful health benefits.
The saturated fats used to be considered unhealthy, but new studies prove that they are totally harmless. Saturated fats are a safe source of energy for humans

Butter
Butter was also demonized in the past due to its saturated fat content.
But there really is no reason to fear real butter. It's the processed margarine that is the truly awful stuff (11Trusted Source).
Real butter is good for you and actually fairly nutritious.
It contains Vitamins A, E and K2. It is also rich in the fatty acids Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and Butyrate, both of which have powerful health benefits.
CLA may lower body fat percentage in humans and butyrate can fight inflammation, improve gut health and has been shown to make rats completely resistant to becoming obese (12, 13, 14, 15Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).
Fatty Acid Breakdown:
•Saturated: 68%.
•Monounsaturated: 28%.
•Polyunsaturated: 4%.
There is one caveat for cooking with butter. Regular butter does contain tiny amounts of sugars and proteins and for this reason it tends to get burned during high heat cooking like frying.
If you want to avoid that, you can make clarified butter, or ghee. That way, you remove the lactose and proteins, leaving you with pure butterfat.

Make sure to choose butter from grass-fed cows. This butter contains more Vitamin K2, CLA and other nutrients, compared to butter from grain-fed cows.

Olive Oil
Olive oil is well known for its heart healthy effects and is believed to be a key reason for the health benefits of the mediterranean diet.
Some studies show that olive oil can improve biomarkers of health.
It can raise HDL (the good) cholesterol and lower the amount of oxidized LDL cholesterol circulating in your bloodstream (17, 18).
Fatty Acid Breakdown:
•Saturated: 14%.
•Monounsaturated: 75%.
•Polyunsaturated: 11%.
Studies on olive oil show that despite having fatty acids with double bonds, you can still use it for cooking as it is fairly resistant to the heat (19).
Make sure to choose quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It has much more nutrients and antioxidants than the refined type. Plus it tastes much better.
Keep your olive oil in a cool, dry, dark place, to prevent it from going rancid.

Animal Fats — Lard, Tallow, Bacon Drippings
The fatty acid content of animals tends to vary depending on what the animals eat.
If they eat a lot of grains, the fats will contain quite a bit of polyunsaturated fats.
If the animals are pastured raised or grass-fed, there will be more saturated and monounsaturated fats in them.
Therefore, animal fats from animals that are naturally raised are excellent options for cooking.
You can buy ready-made lard or tallow from the store, or you can save the drippings from meat to use at a later time. Bacon drippings are especially tasty.

Palm Oil
Palm oil is derived from the fruit of oil palms.
It consists mostly of saturated and monounsaturated fats, with small amounts of polyunsaturates.
This makes palm oil a good choice for cooking.
Red Palm Oil (the unrefined variety) is best. It is also rich in Vitamins E, Coenzyme Q10 and other nutrients.
However, some concerns have been raised about the sustainability of harvesting palm oil, apparently growing these trees means less environment available for Orangutans, which are an endangered species.

Avocado Oil
The composition of avocado oil is similar to olive oil. It is primarily monounsaturated, with some saturated and polyunsaturated mixed in.
It can be used for many of the same purposes as olive oil. You can cook with it, or use it cold.  Avocado oil has a high smoke point. This means that it’s ideal for searing, browning, or baking foods. Avocado oils are high in monounsaturated fats, with polyunsaturated fats about half those of monounsaturated.
The oil can be costly because it takes many avocados to create even a small amount of oil. However, it has an excellent, neutral flavor that makes it ideal for adding to soups, drizzling over fish or chicken before baking, or mixing with vegetables for roasting.

Fish Oil
Fish oil is very rich in the animal form of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are DHA and EPA. A tablespoon of fish oil can satisfy your daily need for these very important fatty acids.
The best fish oil is cod fish liver oil, because it is also rich in Vitamin D3, which a large part of the world is deficient in.
However, due to its high concentration of polyunsaturated fats, fish oil should never be used for cooking. It's best used as a supplement, one tablespoon per day. Keep in a cool, dry and dark place.

Flax Oil
Flax oil contains lots of the plant form of Omega-3, Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA).
Many people use this oil to supplement with Omega-3 fats.
However, unless you're vegan, then I do recommend that you use fish oil instead.
Evidence shows that the human body doesn't efficiently convert ALA to the active forms, EPA and DHA, of which fish oil has plenty
Due to the large amount of polyunsaturated fats, flax seed oil should NOT be used for cooking.

Canola Oil
Canola oil is derived from rapeseeds, but the euric acid (a toxic, bitter substance) has been removed from it.
The fatty acid breakdown of canola oil is actually fairly good, with most of the fatty acids monounsaturated, then containing Omega-6 and Omega-3 in a 2:1 ratio, which is perfect.
However, canola oil needs to go through very harsh processing methods before it is turned into the final product.
To see how canola oil is made htere are videos on line. It is a bit disgusting and involves the toxic solvent hexane (among others) - I personally don't think these oils are suitable for human consumption. but can't say I haven't used them over the years either as it is a very high burn high yield oil

Nut Oils and Peanut Oil
There are many nut oils available and some of them taste awesome.
However, they are very rich in polyunsaturated fats, which make them a poor choice for cooking.
They can be used as parts of recipes, but do not fry or do any high heat cooking with them.
The same applies to peanut oil. Peanuts technically aren't nuts (they're legumes) but the composition of the oil is similar.
There is one exception, however, and that is macadamia nut oil, which is mostly monounsaturated (like olive oil). It is pricey, but I hear it tastes awesome.
If you want, you can use macadamia oil for low- or medium-heat cooking.
Oils with this kind of mixture should be refrigerated after opening and used within four days after opening for maximum freshness and taste.
Generally, most cooking oils go bad in about three months. That’s more incentive to go ahead and cook healthy foods with them. but OLIVE OIL has been found in the Tombs of the Pharaohs, 2000 years old and used by those who removed it from the tombs with no ill effects.

So called healthy oils
Canola oil and vegetable oil aren’t your only options when it comes to cooking! Other healthy plant-based options for fats include the following. some are healthier than others,

Avocado oil
Avocado oil has a high smoke point. This means that it’s ideal for searing, browning, or baking foods. Avocado oils are high in monounsaturated fats, with polyunsaturated fats about half those of monounsaturated.
The oil can be costly because it takes many avocados to create even a small amount of oil. However, it has an excellent, neutral flavor that makes it ideal for adding to soups, drizzling over fish or chicken before baking, or mixing with vegetables for roasting.

Extra virgin olive oil
Full of good-for-you monounsaturated fat, olive oil is best used at medium- or low-heat cooking temperatures.
When you choose good-quality extra-virgin olive oil, the flavor is excellent, making it a great choice for salad dressings.

Coconut oil
While coconut oil may be high in saturated fats, it also has a beneficial effect on a person’s high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels. HDL is also known as a person’s “good” cholesterol, which works to reduce levels of unwanted high cholesterol.
However, because coconut oil is so high in saturated fats, most health experts recommend using it sparingly. Coconut oil has a medium smoke point, making it best for using with low-heat baking and sautéing.

Grapeseed oil
Grapeseed oil has a smoke point that’s medium high, meaning that you can use it safely for a variety of different types of cooking.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, it has a ratio of 73 percent polyunsaturated fats, 17 percent monounsaturated fats, and 10 percent saturated fats. It’s a great multipurpose oil to use.
Keep in mind that this type of oil is high in omega-6 fatty acids, a type of polyunsaturated fat that needs to be balanced with omega-3s, another type of polyunsaturated fat.
It’s a good idea to increase your intake of other foods that include a higher ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats in your diet to compensate.

MCT oil
Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) oil is a cooking oil known to be low in calories and is an excellent source of energy for the body. As a result, some athletes use MCT oil to enhance athletic performance.
However, if a person simply chooses to consume MCT oil by the tablespoon, they should start in small doses. Eating too much at a time is associated with nausea.
Also, don’t heat the oil higher than 150 to 160 degrees to avoid affecting the taste. Many people enjoy MCT oil as a salad dressing (and, no doubt, are happy to avoid keeping track of the oil’s temperature on the stove).

Peanut oil
Peanut oil is a flavorful oil high in resveratrol, a compound that helps to fight heart disease and reduces a person’s cancer risk. This oil is well-balanced in terms of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
It has a medium-high smoke point, which makes it ideal for stir-frying, baking, or cooking dishes in the oven.
Sesame oil
With a more balanced ratio of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, sesame oil is best used when heated only very lightly or not at all. You can also use it in salads and no-cook dishes to preserve the nutrients.

Vegetable oil
Vegetable oil is often a mix or a blend of different types of oils. It’s a more generic type of oil that many people use in their everyday cooking. Vegetable oil is often an inexpensive choice that can be used for all kinds of cooking. And like canola oil, it has a neutral flavor.
The problem with this type of generic oil is that you’re less likely to know exactly what’s in your oil. This includes how the plants from which the oil was extracted were grown and how the oil was processed.
The ratio of saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fat varies depending on what oils have been included in the blend (sunflower, corn, soy, safflower

How to Take Care of Your Cooking Oils
To make sure that your fats and oils don't go rancid, it is important to keep a few things in mind.
Don't buy large batches at a time. Buy smaller ones, that way you will most likely use them before they get the chance to damage.
When it comes to unsaturated fats like olive, palm, avocado oil and some others, it is important to keep them in an environment where they are less likely to oxidize and go rancid.
The main drivers behind oxidative damage of cooking oils are heat, oxygen and light.
Therefore, keep them in a cool, dry, dark place and make sure to screw the lid on as soon as you're done using them.

Damn Son!!

Safe storage of cooking oil
Unfortunately, cooking oils can be prone to going rancid, particularly when exposed to oxygen. When oxygen interacts with the compounds in oils, it results in the breakdown of peroxides. This can give cooking oils an unpleasant smell or taste.
With time, the oxygen can contribute to a greater number of free radicals. These are potentially harmful compounds that have been linked to cell damage and potentially to causing cancer. As a result, it’s important that you take care where you store your cooking oils and how long you store them.
Most cooking oils should be kept in a cool, dry place. In particular, keep them away from heat (above or too close to the stove) and sunlight (in front of a window).
Wrap clear glass bottles of oil in aluminum foil or another material to keep light out and to extend the life of the oil.
If you purchase a large bottle of oil, you may wish to transfer some oil to a small bottle that you’ll use more quickly. The rest can be stored in the refrigerator or in a cool place away from sunlight.
If you purchase cooking oils that contain herbs and vegetables (such as chili peppers, garlic, tomatoes, or mushrooms), they can be prone to bacterial growth, including Clostridium botulinum bacteria (which can cause botulism).
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 36 of 39)
Top Top