BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At the hotel now, going to enlist tomorrow. Honestly I might sign for 6. Everyone and their mother is telling me to sign for three, even the army vet here at meps but I feel in my gut I’ll be ok signing for 6.
View Quote

Honestly, despite the shit I gave you last week, good luck. We need every good dude we can get.

I'll join the others and say you should sign up for 3-4 years and feel it out. 6 is a long time for anyone, and even more so for guys in their 30s.

Another thing I'll mention since most of this thread is nostalgia from dudes that did this shit in their teens. Take care of your body. The army is designed to push 22 year olds to their limits and it'll break us 30+ guys if you're not conditioned and if you don't take care of yourself. Stretch- before and after exercise. Even things that aren't PT. Ruck marches, obstacle courses, etc are all exercise. Buy good running shoes. They need to fit right and work with your running style. I highly recommend having your gait analyzed by a professional, many running stores offer this service. After 6-12 months of putting in lots of mileage have your gait analyzed again. Modern running shoes wear out in 6-9 months of use. They may look okay but the foam gets packed out and you don't get the support you need. 2 pairs a year will prevent a ton of injury. Wear your ruck correctly. You'll see dudes all over swear that the hip belt is useless, it is not. Pack the ruck correctly and get the weight off your shoulders. One of the biggest things- learn the difference between hurt and injured, and learn what an oncoming injury feels like. Some pain can be ignored, and should be. Blisters, soreness, things that heal on their own are distractions. Aches, joint pain, tendonitis can all be precursors to actual musculoskeletal injury that will take you out of the fight for weeks. Injury prevention is way more effective than treatment. And we don't heal as fast as 22 year olds.

I've been doing Army shit for a little over 9 years. I've watched friends and coworkers get injured and end up out of the Army for it. Army medicine isn't the best when it comes to treating small injuries, and when those become big injuries dudes will often get chaptered or med-boarded out.

It'll be a hell of a time. Get through OSUT and show up to your unit ready to learn. You'll progress quickly if you can stay fit, learn quickly, and demonstrate trustworthiness and responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Brother - you do what you feel is right, but I'd highly suggest going for 3-4 and if you want to reenlist, by all means reenlist - and if you don't like your MOS at reenlistment time, reclass and try to go where the bonuses are.

6 years is a long fucking time for a first enlistment and at your age it's going to be rough as shit on your body - I did the same thing as you, joining later at 27 because I didn't want to have any regrets in life and I wanted to see if I could physically and mentally make it.

I did the exact same thing and was all fuckin' hooah for a 6 year enlistment and there were definitely plenty of times I regretted that choice and when the time came to reup or get out, I was fucking done after spending 4 of my 6 years deployed to Afghanistan.

My point is a shorter enlistment gives you options - a longer one removes all options.

View Quote

Yep! All of this.

I too did a 6 year hitch off the bat. I could have re-enlisted overseas for a tax free mega bonus, or station of choice or whatever. Instead, I was simply on the hook for another 3 years and ended up on recruiting duty as a DA Select Recruiter. (Big sad trombone noise.mp3)

Every single person in this thread has said 3-4 , and not 6, based on experience.

Even the vets he’s met at the hotel say 3-4.

But nope. He’s apparently gonna full send despite all experience saying 3-4. He’s thinking like a Private already.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Do what you're told, when and how you're told to do it. Don't be a bitch and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep! All of this.

I too did a 6 year hitch off the bat. I could have re-enlisted overseas for a tax free mega bonus, or station of choice or whatever. Instead, I was simply on the hook for another 3 years and ended up on recruiting duty as a DA Select Recruiter. (Big sad trombone noise.mp3)

Every single person in this thread has said 3-4 , and not 6, based on experience.

Even the vets he’s met at the hotel say 3-4.

But nope. He’s apparently gonna full send despite all experience saying 3-4. He’s thinking like a Private already.

View Quote

At least the 6 year enlistment will almost give him time to pay off his Charger.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the three years first OP, see if you're gonna like it.

And even though I don't like it, at least Benning was replaced with a real soldier. Hal Moore was a badass.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  It's called Fort Benning
2. Do three. Not six. If you want to do six you can re-up later after you've tried it. Everyone who served is telling you this for a reason
3. Don't buy a truck from the nice old retired Sergeant Major off post. I can't imagine what the payments are like nowadays
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At the hotel now, going to enlist tomorrow. Honestly I might sign for 6. Everyone and their mother is telling me to sign for three, even the army vet here at meps but I feel in my gut I’ll be ok signing for 6.
View Quote

Bro..do 3 or 4.

You can always re up
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bro..do 3 or 4.

You can always re up
View Quote

Everyone telling him to do 3-4 years is wasting their time.

Ole E-IOweYouOne knows better than all the experienced Grunts in the thread. A couple hours spent talking to the recruiter is vastly better than an accumulative century or more of active service.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck it. If I regret 6 I’ll start another thread. I done way dumber shit. I swear in shortly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck it. If I regret 6 I’ll start another thread. I done way dumber shit. I swear in shortly.
View Quote

LOL, you say that NOW. Just wait.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck OP. I'm going to meps Thursday to swear in as 35w. I'm 33
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably too late, but anyway. The last time the Army was at the strength it is today was in 1940. Point being that it is unlikely to shrink in size from here - and if it does - something really odd is happening. So your risk of not being able to re-enlist after 3 or 4 is essentially non existent. Most likely the Army will be trying to expand, and if it can't meet recruiting targets now, bonuses will only become larger for signing on for more years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At least the 6 year enlistment will almost give him time to pay off his Charger.
View Quote

As long as he doesn't marry some stripper off Victory Drive
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

While your buddies are getting bonuses for reenlisting at 3 years you will just have to settle with whatever TDY cash you get for your travels to your next duty station.

Now go kick ass
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks in advance for raising your hand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m enlisted. Now the real waiting begins. I ship on 4/22. As far as missing out on bonuses, I got 45k total. Some guys at meps got like 9k for 3 years. I think I did ok on that regard. When it comes to injury and putting my body through hell, yes I’m concerned. But this is what I want to do. It’s my dream, as much of a let down or reality check it may be it’s my dream.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Do it brother. You've got this.

I joined at 27, passed Ranger school when I was 28, and I was in pretty decent shape - it always felt good keeping up with the 18-21 year olds as an 'old man'.

Once you get to your first unit, your TL, SL, and PSG are probably going to be younger than you - learn to live with that and be prepared to get your balls smoked off occasionally by your 20 year old Team Leader.

Push yourself, don't quit on yourself, and damn sure don't quit on dudes who are depending on you.

Shit will suck - don't let it get to you - the Army sucks a shit load of the time anyway, embrace it and learn to enjoy it.

99% of this shit is mental - make it past that, accept it and the physical part is easy.

Good luck and kick ass.

ETA: Spend the next 3 weeks doing cardio - run your ass off. Also work on pushups. If you've got a rucksack, weigh it to 35-40 lbs (the standard OSUT weight, even though as 'light infantry' that number is a fucking joke). . . and ruck your ass off too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m enlisted. Now the real waiting begins. I ship on 4/22. As far as missing out on bonuses, I got 45k total. Some guys at meps got like 9k for 3 years. I think I did ok on that regard. When it comes to injury and putting my body through hell, yes I’m concerned. But this is what I want to do. It’s my dream, as much of a let down or reality check it may be it’s my dream.
View Quote

Good for you.  6 years active, or 6 years total?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good for you.  6 years active, or 6 years total?
View Quote

Every initial entry contract is 8 years - if he enlisted for 6 years, he'll do 6 active and 2 IRR.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every initial entry contract is 8 years - if he enlisted for 6 years, he'll do 6 active and 2 IRR.
View Quote

Gotcha.  I have family contracted at 4.5 active, 3.5 IRR.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do it brother. You've got this.

I joined at 27, passed Ranger school when I was 28, and I was in pretty decent shape - it always felt good keeping up with the 18-21 year olds as an 'old man'.

Once you get to your first unit, your TL, SL, and PSG are probably going to be younger than you - learn to live with that and be prepared to get your balls smoked off occasionally by your 20 year old Team Leader.

Push yourself, don't quit on yourself, and damn sure don't quit on dudes who are depending on you.

Shit will suck - don't let it get to you - the Army sucks a shit load of the time anyway, embrace it and learn to enjoy it.

99% of this shit is mental - make it past that, accept it and the physical part is easy.

Good luck and kick ass.

ETA: Spend the next 3 weeks doing cardio - run your ass off. Also work on pushups. If you've got a rucksack, weigh it to 35-40 lbs (the standard OSUT weight, even though as 'light infantry' that number is a fucking joke). . . and ruck your ass off too.
View Quote

Thanks bro. Definitely following this advice. Also the other advice on good running shoes. I’ll invest in some brooks or hokas. I just put in my thirty day notice at my apartment, and have family coming up this weekend to help move my stuff. Two weeks ago I never thought I’d be able to join, now I’m steady worrying about the next problem and how to solve it. Hopefully this pattern of problem solving continues, so far so good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks bro. Definitely following this advice. Also the other advice on good running shoes. I’ll invest in some brooks or hokas. I just put in my thirty day notice at my apartment, and have family coming up this weekend to help move my stuff. Two weeks ago I never thought I’d be able to join, now I’m steady worrying about the next problem and how to solve it. Hopefully this pattern of problem solving continues, so far so good.
View Quote

Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

Always have a PACE plan.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emergency

Always have a PACE plan.
View Quote

That is probably one of the more valuable things I retained.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't waste your money on buying shoes now. They'll make you buy the same shit shoes as everyone else once they check your feet at 30th AG. Buy shoes after you get to your unit and see what they allow you to wear.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#26]
And if you manage to get some ass before you leave, make sure that you PULL OUT.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Don't waste your money on buying shoes now. They'll make you buy the same shit shoes as everyone else once they check your feet at 30th AG. Buy shoes after you get to your unit and see what they allow you to wear.
View Quote

When did you go to basic? When I went you showed up with your own PT shoes. I would definitely not wait until you get to your unit to buy PT shoes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't break yourself before you get there, and don't get stupid. Come back after you turn blue so we can welcome you in the fold. In the meantime, do some motherfuckin mountain climbers. GO!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That total is only if you complete your additional commitments.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When did you go to basic? When I went you showed up with your own PT shoes. I would definitely not wait until you get to your unit to buy PT shoes.
View Quote

I guess I should have put in my day... I enlisted during the Clinton years. 30th checked your feet and you had to buy your shoes from the little PX at the bottom of the hill. It looks like they finally got smart about something.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That total is only if you complete your additional commitments.
View Quote

I think that would have been the case regardless.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
You're in for a fun ride. Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good luck OP. I'm going to meps Thursday to swear in as 35w. I'm 33
View Quote

6 years as 35 series is different than 6 years as 11 series when you are in your 30s.

Good luck to you regardless.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

We bought ours in basic in 2010.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We bought ours in basic in 2010.
View Quote

I can't remember if I bought mine during general issue at 30th AG or if I brought them with me there. Pretty sure I got them at 30th AG in 2007.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can't remember if I bought mine during general issue at 30th AG or if I brought them with me there. Pretty sure I got them at 30th AG in 2007.
View Quote

I will also clarify by saying I went to Knox and not Benning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I might be misremembering honestly. But I definitely remember most people showed up with their own and had an option to buy them. Regardless, you can't go wrong with a good pair of running shoes. No reason not to own a pair especially if you're getting ready for OSUT.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol, Lujan faking stuff for clout. Nevah been dun befoe.

Damn pogue psyops.
View Quote
fat kid it's still real to me dammit.gif
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I might be misremembering honestly. But I definitely remember most people showed up with their own and had an option to buy them. Regardless, you can't go wrong with a good pair of running shoes. No reason not to own a pair especially if you're getting ready for OSUT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

100% guarantee the folks at 30th AG would mess up your foot profile for boots and PT shoes. Pretty good advice, IMO.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, Lujan faking stuff for clout. Nevah been dun befoe.

Damn pogue psyops.
fat kid it's still real to me dammit.gif

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

6 years as 35 series is different than 6 years as 11 series when you are in your 30s.

View Quote

There’s folks older than me in my mos who’ve been my mos longer than 6 years. I asked a reserve turned active duty today. My user name says a lot about me, so there’s that too. I’ll be alright. I’ll send you a pm at the halfway point of my contract lol .
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some. Guys showed up with shitty shoes and had to buy them at the PX.

I got to run in the ones I brought
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a reason why there is military retirement after 20 years. And that reason is combat arms.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is a reason why there is military retirement after 20 years. And that reason is combat arms.
View Quote

With early retirement possible at 17. Combat arms will wreck your body.

Take care of your feet. It'll keep your back and shoulders lasting longer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There’s folks older than me in my mos who’ve been my mos longer than 6 years. I asked a reserve turned active duty today. My user name says a lot about me, so there’s that too. I’ll be alright. I’ll send you a pm at the halfway point of my contract lol .
View Quote

Well, yeah. Those guys who are older than you who have been 11series longer than you, and older than you, did the lower enlisted part when they were younger than you. The ones who are your age and older than you AND still lower enlisted have fucked up bodies. Lower enlisted combat arms life is a different animal than pretty much anything else on earth.

I went in at 35 as a 25 series and while I am happily still in (and a different MOS now), my knee and shoulder pain is something I would like to not have.

I would be interested in hearing from you at the halfway point in your contract.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well, yeah. Those guys who are older than you who have been 11series longer than you, and older than you, did the lower enlisted part when they were younger than you. The ones who are your age and older than you AND still lower enlisted have fucked up bodies. Lower enlisted combat arms life is a different animal than pretty much anything else on earth.

I went in at 35 as a 25 series and while I am happily still in (and a different MOS now), my knee and shoulder pain is something I would like to not have.

I would be interested in hearing from you at the halfway point in your contract.
View Quote

Bet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bet.
View Quote

Have fun, Private.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Have fun, Private.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I even read that in the right voice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Have fun, Private.
View Quote

Hey hey now, you’re talking to an E3, put some respec on my name lol. But in all seriousness that’s what this is about, fun and fulfillment. I’m tired of wondering and tired of the office job. There are so many people who feel like me too, the main character in “office space” for example. While that’s just a movie I’ve had this conversation with people in my office. A professional engineer who started one week after me hates his job. His dad and uncle were engineers so he is by default. He’s trying to start up his own side business now. If I wreck my body by joining the army, great. There’s so many people on this site wrecking their bodies with drugs and alcohol, little Debbie snack cakes, stress, and the list goes on and on. Like someone else said, full send 11B (hopefully).
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hey hey now, you’re talking to an E3, put some respec on my name lol. But in all seriousness that’s what this is about, fun and fulfillment. I’m tired of wondering and tired of the office job. There are so many people who feel like me too, the main character in “office space” for example. While that’s just a movie I’ve had this conversation with people in my office. A professional engineer who started one week after me hates his job. His dad and uncle were engineers so he is by default. He’s trying to start up his own side business now. If I wreck my body by joining the army, great. There’s so many people on this site wrecking their bodies with drugs and alcohol, little Debbie snack cakes, stress, and the list goes on and on. Like someone else said, full send 11B (hopefully).
View Quote

*puts private in front leaning test and PTs him I'll I'm tired*

Good luck and enjoy the time you have left. You'll be a busy dude.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

You aren't an E-3 until the 22nd. Until then, you're still an E-IOweYouOne.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top