Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2023 12:49:25 AM EDT
Previously one could click on a member's profile to view info during EE transactions. In the past one of the things shown was whether an account was "LOCKED".

It'd be damn nice to have that feature back. It has come up a few times recently in the EE, and posters have stated that they "had checked/had no idea" while agreeing to a deal that the member account was locked by Staff.

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 to that suggestion.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:10:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:
There's a push/pull balance between what are obvious EE benefits (for the reasons you rightly gave), and pants-on-head retarded forum drama that results in GD threads, once somebody is noted as "locked".

They both suck, for different and even equal reasons.

View Quote

I can see that being ever so true. "Retarded forum drama" has run rampant this year. In all of the forums.

ETA: Hopefully there can be a workaround found?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
-the way to solve this, is to propose a mechanism by which a banned member is noted as such for EE purposes <

There are probably several innovative and creative ways to solve this.
View Quote

A special notation ,as a warning to buyers/sellers, would be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that's kind of the rub. A guy gets locked, nobody really knows why, they notice the "locked" tag under his profile or whatever, and then...a whole thing starts. Conspiracies abound, there is talk of shenanigans, guys that know the guy start trading off-site IMs...it all becomes a "thing".

And all the poor EE user wants to know, is that he's not trying to do complete a deal with a guy who's straight up banned from the site. But if he knows that...so does everybody else.

So yeah - it's a thing that needs some thought. IMHO, anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
There's a push/pull balance between what are obvious EE benefits (for the reasons you rightly gave), and pants-on-head retarded forum drama that results in GD threads, once somebody is noted as "locked".

I can see that being ever so true. "Retarded forum drama" has run rampant this year. In all of the forums.

ETA: Hopefully there can be a workaround found?
Yeah, that's kind of the rub. A guy gets locked, nobody really knows why, they notice the "locked" tag under his profile or whatever, and then...a whole thing starts. Conspiracies abound, there is talk of shenanigans, guys that know the guy start trading off-site IMs...it all becomes a "thing".

And all the poor EE user wants to know, is that he's not trying to do complete a deal with a guy who's straight up banned from the site. But if he knows that...so does everybody else.

So yeah - it's a thing that needs some thought. IMHO, anyway.

I've seen it. Played out exactly as you described.

As far as the suggestion, EE protection is my only concern. There's not much that I hate more than guys losing their money to shitbags.
Especially if I end up being one of them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Subnet:  There's a push/pull balance between what are obvious EE benefits (for the reasons you rightly gave), and pants-on-head retarded forum drama that results in GD threads, once somebody is noted as "locked".

View Quote

Perhaps if the entire rap sheet was published in their user profile there might be less forum drama?  At one point I had 3 friends I see regularly banned; I'm down to only one now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Perhaps if the entire rap sheet was published in their user profile there might be less forum drama?  At one point I had 3 friends I see regularly banned; I'm down to only one now.
View Quote

That's almost guaranteed to prove problematic.
Posting a member's B&W info would likely  cause non stop shit shows.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#10]

That sounds problematic.
View All Quotes

That sounds problematic.

It's all problematic.  But knowing only the last offense that got someone banned is why reasonable men call bullshit, without knowing of the 86 times he's been warned before.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:46:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]

It's all problematic.  But knowing only the last offense that got someone banned is why reasonable men call bullshit, without knowing of the 86 times he's been warned before.
View All Quotes

That sounds problematic.

This is where an EE specific notation is sensible.

As suggested above by Subnet:

the way to solve this, is to propose a mechanism by which a banned member is noted as such for EE purposes <
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#12]

the way to solve this, is to propose a mechanism by which a banned member is noted as such for EE purposes <
View All Quotes

That sounds problematic.

Maybe they could just IM anyone in recent correspondence w/ the banee, or someone w/ an open EE thread in which the banee has posted in, that the banee has been banned?

That still risks blowback.  But generally their friends know who is banned, and why.

The larger problem for the site is that it appears arbitrary & capricious, and there is not a clear appeal mechanism.  Hence the shit shows.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Maybe they could just IM anyone in recent correspondence w/ the banee, or someone w/ an open EE thread in which the banee has posted in, that the banee has been banned?

That still risks blowback.  But generally their friends know who is banned, and why.

The larger problem for the site is that it appears arbitrary & capricious, and there is not a clear appeal mechanism.  Hence the shit shows.
View Quote

This is geared entirely towards the EE. As far as bans/locks for whatever reasons, honestly I don't care about the what/why or anything related.

The old method was the only reference point available,  so that was the suggestion/request. A known mechanism.  

I'm absolutely sure that the EE Mods are not interested in tailing the shitbags' every move and intervening in every possible transaction as they happen in an effort to warn potential buyers/sellers.

Not to mention the fact that many EE deals are solidified through private channels before any public postings.

If somebody is locked from the EE, it should be readily apparent to potential buyers/sellers. How it's accomplished matters not. Just that it should be.

I can think of no less than 3 members here recently stating that had they known that the member account that they dealt with was locked that they would have chosen not to commit.

And all 3 are out their funds, which is bullshit.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]

This is geared entirely towards the EE. As far as bans/locks for whatever reasons, honestly I don't care about the what/why or anything related.

The old method was the only reference point available,  so that was the suggestion/request. A known mechanism.  

I'm absolutely sure that the EE Mods are not interested in tailing the shitbags' every move and intervening in every possible transaction as they happen in an effort to warn potential buyers/sellers.

Not to mention the fact that many EE deals are solidified through private channels before any public postings.

If somebody is locked from the EE, it should be readily apparent to potential buyers/sellers. How it's accomplished matters not. Just that it should be.

I can think of no less than 3 members here recently stating that had they known that the member account that they dealt with was locked that they would have chosen not to commit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Maybe they could just IM anyone in recent correspondence w/ the banee, or someone w/ an open EE thread in which the banee has posted in, that the banee has been banned?

It is a known risk to conduct business on a platform that can suspend the account of any user without prior warning or recourse.  You should secure outside identity/email/phone/address before sending funds, rather than rely on ARFCOM's IM system.

Are you saying that they did business on the EE w/ a member while that member was locked?  How does that happen?  Or the member got locked after the transaction was started, then continued on outside comms?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe something flagged on replies? In other words, you already have a back and forth conversation with someone, if you reply to a locked member a message us displayed. That would keep it private unless there was already a conversation to reply to? Or when the locked account receives a message, the sender gets a notice?

Not sure if that's feasible, or if it would just create other problems.

Thinking out loud. :-)
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I am 100% on board. I’ve not been taken on here however another group got me.

Having a notation as simple as “EE LOCK” visible on the user account would save a lot of hassle. How to go about that is beyond me, I can use the interwebs but don’t ask me to make it do the thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#18]

It is a known risk to conduct business on a platform that can suspend the account of any user without prior warning or recourse.  You should secure outside identity/email/phone/address before sending funds, rather than rely on ARFCOM's IM system.

Are you saying that they did business on the EE w/ a member while that member was locked?  How does that happen?  Or the member got locked after the transaction was started, then continued on outside comms?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Maybe they could just IM anyone in recent correspondence w/ the banee, or someone w/ an open EE thread in which the banee has posted in, that the banee has been banned?

There are too many variables involved when dealing in , essentially, an online garage sale to ensure 100% safety regarding theft/loss of funds during a transaction. I could have all of an individual's real world personal info and still have zero chance of recouping funds on a few hundred dollar transaction. This isn't geared at removing all risk, just adding a layer of protection.

And, yes, IIRC the last instance in the EE that I recall, the member account was locked while in the process of multiple EE dealings.

Another aspect, I have personally been contacted regarding items for sale through private comms by members locked from the EE. With no inkling that they were banned until it was revealed that they could not post/participate in trading feedback.  

An EE ban does not equal a Site ban, comms are still accessible.

And then there is the matter of stolen accounts. A subject all it's own which could turn this into a muli page thread.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
I

Having a notation as simple as “EE LOCK” visible on the user account would save a lot of hassle.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]

There are too many variables involved when dealing in , essentially, an online garage sale to ensure 100% safety regarding theft/loss of funds during a transaction. I could have all of an individual's real world personal info and still have zero chance of recouping funds on a few hundred dollar transaction. This isn't geared at removing all risk, just adding a layer of protection.

And, yes, IIRC the last instance in the EE that I recall, the member account was locked while in the process of multiple EE dealings.

Another aspect, I have personally been contacted regarding items for sale through private comms by members locked from the EE. With no inkling that they were banned until it was revealed that they could not post/participate in trading feedback.  

And then there is the matter of stolen accounts. A subject all it's own which could turn this into a muli page thread.
View All Quotes

Oh, you're talking about folks locked out of the EE, not the entire site?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Oh, you're talking about folks locked out of the EE, not the entire site?
View Quote

At a minimum.

A site locked member would be counter productive as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
Alan, can you build a button that staff can click when they ban an EE scammer that puts "EE Lock" or "scammer" or "subhuman slime" or whatever is most PC near their feedback score, or replacing the feedback score entirely?  

I'm sorry, I have ideas, but I don't have any idea how "doable" they are from you end.  It "seems" like that would be a fairly easy way to make sure no one dealt with these guys.  We have far too many valuable members getting bitten by a guy just after he is banned for being a thief.
View Quote

Any indicator would be great.

But I'd suggest that it commands attention for those that lack attention focus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Something we may see in the near future??
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#25]
@Subnet

Anything in the works?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top