Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT

Attachment Attached File

Happened on the week of my 10th Birthday.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Bing's 'White Christmas" was played consciously over the radio to let people know it was time to move to the evac sites.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the thread where we erroneously describe helicopters landing on the roof of the US embassy?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Air America Huey helicopter, landed on the Pitman apartment building. At the time it was one of the highest points in the city.
Attachment Attached File

This is what it looked like when I was there in 2018.

The stair case is gone, it is now in Gerald Ford's presidential museum.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By derwood67:
Is this the thread where we erroneously describe helicopters landing on the roof of the US embassy?
View Quote

There are alot of miscaptioned photos from the war.
Attachment Attached File

This guy was not a Civilian, he shot this kid and his whole family:
Admiral Nguyen
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Tell us your eye witness version.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I commence Operation Frequent Wind after a cookout with deviled eggs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in Junior High
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sh768:
I was in Junior High
View Quote

Dickhead
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]

That is some sad shit. I'm hoping we still have members that were there, that will share what they saw as they evacuated.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how much different the world would be if Truman agreed to back Ho Chi Minh's push for independence.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#13]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I wonder how much different the world would be if Truman Wilson agreed to back Ho Chi Minh's push for independence.
View Quote

Moved by Wilson's 15 points, Ho went to Versailles for the WWI treaty talks to push for Vietnam's independence from France. He was ignored.

So he went to the Communists.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I was there.  Family evac'ed from Tan Son Nhut AFB in a C-130 with about 280 other souls and flew to Utapao Air Base in Thailand.  This date has has been on my mind all morning.  Just imagine being on a tarmac at an air base while it's being rocketed and mortared continuosly for 10 hours waiting for any airplane to take off and hopefully somehow get on.  All the while, there was non-stop machinegun fire and explosions going all around.  There were rows upon rows of burned out planes of all types and I was running past all that just to get into a cement shelter and wait. My father (VNAF Skyraider pilot)  saw two pilots running towards one of two remaining Hercs and told us to run after them (the last C-130 out of Saigon currently sit in front of Little Rock AFB as a memorial).  My father threw me onbard and helped the rest of the family.  He then went to the cockpit to help out with the plane.  As we rolled down the taxi way, more people hopped on board until our speed was too fast to catch up.  The whole time I was staring at the deck thinking this could be my last moments on earth.  As the plane lifted off from the taxi way, I thought of how can we make it through all the flying bullets without getting shot down?  It was only after abbout 10 minutes in the air did everyone felt relieved that they survived.  On one hand it's still hard  remembering the terror and how often I came close to being killed or sepparated from my parents but on the other I have come to accept that the hand of God protected us because I was meant to do greater things.  49 years seems like a long time but it still seems like yesterday.  It was all so vivid.  I have told this story before on here but its something I will constanly share because so much of what happened back then is still going on now.  Only difference is that now there is nowhere else to evacuate to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela] [#15]
I wonder how much different the world would be if Truman agreed to back Ho Chi Minh's push for independence.
View Quote

After WWII we were mostly not in the business of supporting Communist countries and Uncle Ho was a dedicated Communist before WWI.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I left Vietnam in April 1970 having served over there for 29 months.

When Vietnam fell I went out in the backyard so my wife wouldn't see me and sat down under a tree and cried.

After I finished crying I swore I would never trust the US government or any politician again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The year I was born.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 1975:
The year I was born.
View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:
I was there.  Family evac'ed from Tan Son Nhut AFB in a C-130 with about 280 other souls and flew to Utapao Air Base in Thailand.  This date has has been on my mind all morning.  Just imagine being on a tarmac at an air base while it's being rocketed and mortared continuosly for 10 hours waiting for any airplane to take off and hopefully somehow get on.  All the while, there was non-stop machinegun fire and explosions going all around.  There were rows upon rows of burned out planes of all types and I was running past all that just to get into a cement shelter and wait. My father (VNAF Skyraider pilot)  saw two pilots running towards one of two remaining Hercs and told us to run after them (the last C-130 out of Saigon currently sit in front of Little Rock AFB as a memorial).  My father threw me onbard and helped the rest of the family.  He then went to the cockpit to help out with the plane.  As we rolled down the taxi way, more people hopped on board until our speed was too fast to catch up.  The whole time I was staring at the deck thinking this could be my last moments on earth.  As the plane lifted off from the taxi way, I thought of how can we make it through all the flying bullets without getting shot down?  It was only after abbout 10 minutes in the air did everyone felt relieved that they survived.  On one hand it's still hard  remembering the terror and how often I came close to being killed or sepparated from my parents but on the other I have come to accept that the hand of God protected us because I was meant to do greater things.  49 years seems like a long time but it still seems like yesterday.  It was all so vivid.  I have told this story before on here but its something I will constanly share because so much of what happened back then is still going on now.  Only difference is that now there is nowhere else to evacuate to.
View Quote
I think this is the first time I've ever used this meme in a serious way...

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Strontium:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440960/th-2404947218_jpg-3201304.JPG

Admiral Nguyen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Admiral Nguyen

This picture is often misquoted. The fellow on the left is Major General Nguyen Loan, South VN Police. The about to be dead individual was VC. Responsible for numerous murders of RVN Police, military and their families during the Tet Offensive, 1968.

Thank you for adding the story of Admiral Nguyen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Wow.  
Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PCB66:
I left Vietnam in April 1970 having served over there for 29 months.

When Vietnam fell I went out in the backyard so my wife wouldn't see me and sat down under a tree and cried.

After I finished crying I swore I would never trust the US government or any politician again.
View Quote

First they break us, then they fuck us.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#24]
The USS Midway

<---

Rescued about 3000 people. They pushed helos over the side in the rush to save people. The skipper pushed millions of dollars of helicopters over-the-side to make room for a plane piloted by a Vietnamese Air Force pilot and his family.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

That gave me goosebumps! Thank you for your account - and so glad that you and your family made it out!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:Only difference is that now there is nowhere else to evacuate to.
View Quote

Wonderful story and a very grim warning that I agree with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#27]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Paul:
The USS Midway

<---

Rescued about 3000 people. They pushed helos over the side in the rush to save people. The skipper pushed millions of dollars of helicopters over-the-side to make room for a plane piloted by a Vietnamese Air Force pilot and his family.  

https://www.militarytimes.com/resizer/Tzme_rFrTwz4Td_p1hHOCCFUTHQ=/1440x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/archetype/LAZ5JRTEVRBO5KVXCWQKODMYA4.jpg
View Quote

A buddy of mine was either on that ship or another during this. I remember him telling me about changing diapers and caring for all of the babies on board...and about pushing the helos off the side.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Amazing story!  Glad you made it out.

And thanks for the info on that C130 at LRAFB.  I've driven past it thousands of times and had no idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NavyDoc1] [#30]
View Quote

More communism?  Ho Chi Minh was a communist from the get go—radicalized in France long before. The myth that he went left because the US didn’t support his “independence “ movement is bullshit.  He was a hard core Marxist from the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Wow, what a story
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Once again, Arfcom rarely if ever disappoints.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I was long gone by then.

"the temperature in Saigon is 105 degrees and rising."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sg5TQwgYz4
View Quote

Having just finished Ken Burns Vietnam, it was actually Tennessee Ernie Ford's version of the song that played, as the DJ could not find the Bing version.  

Best documentary I've seen in a long, long time if you haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

More communism?  Ho Chi Minh was a communist from the get go radicalized in France long before. The myth that he went left because the US didn't support his "independence " movement is bullshit.  He was a hard core Marxist from the beginning.
View Quote
I didn't say he wasn't a communist, but considering Vietnam won the war anyway, I don't see how there'd be anymore communism than there already was. It's fine if you want to take a hardline stance against it, I'm no fan of it myself, but our government certainly didn't in the grand scheme. We went from a policy of containment, to handing all of our industry over to them so we could save a buck at Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't say he wasn't a communist, but considering Vietnam won the war anyway, I don't see how there'd be anymore communism than there already was. It's fine if you want to take a hardline stance against it, I'm no fan of it myself, but our government certainly didn't in the grand scheme. We went from a policy of containment, to handing all of our industry over to them so we could save a buck at Walmart.
View All Quotes

More communism?  Ho Chi Minh was a communist from the get go radicalized in France long before. The myth that he went left because the US didn't support his "independence " movement is bullshit.  He was a hard core Marxist from the beginning.

That may be right, but the myth that “we” , the US , made him a communist is completely false.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]

That may be right, but the myth that "we" , the US , made him a communist is completely false.
View Quote
I've never heard it. He was a relatively early communist revolutionary as far as I know. Imperialism may have been a factor in shaping that belief, but I wouldn't put that on America. I mean, he worked with, and was influenced by, French Communists.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PossumKing:

Amazing story!  Glad you made it out.

And thanks for the info on that C130 at LRAFB.  I've driven past it thousands of times and had no idea.
View Quote

@posumking

That C-130 was parked right next to mine as it was the only two not destroyed that morning. Stop by and read the plaque when you get the chance.  I was on assignment at LR AFB two years ago and stopped by to touch it as it was there with me 49 years ago.  That plane carried 467 people with 40 in the cockpit alone.  Thank God for the amazing engineers at Lockheed that designed that plane!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I've often wondered the same thing. Think of the suffering and deaths on all sides that might have been avoided.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#41]

More communism?  Ho Chi Minh was a communist from the get go—radicalized in France long before. The myth that he went left because the US didn’t support his “independence “ movement is bullshit.  He was a hard core Marxist from the beginning.
View Quote

So was Josip Broz Tito,.

...One significant consequence of the tension arising between Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union was Tito's decision to begin large - scale repression against enemies of the government. This repression was not limited to known and alleged Stalinists but also included members of the Communist Party or anyone exhibiting sympathy towards the Soviet Union...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito

The unanswerable question remains; would Ho have followed a similarly independent path had we not first armed, and then militarily intervened, on behalf of the remnants of France's failed colonial effort?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By EastWest:

I've often wondered the same thing. Think of the suffering and deaths on all sides that might have been avoided.
View Quote

ETA. It may be naive to think in backing him, we would have controlled him and North Vietnam. Maybe. Or obviously he could have eventually stabbed us in the back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Amazing.  Thanks for sharing sir.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Paul:
The USS Midway

<---

https://www.militarytimes.com/resizer/Tzme_rFrTwz4Td_p1hHOCCFUTHQ=/1440x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/archetype/LAZ5JRTEVRBO5KVXCWQKODMYA4.jpg
View Quote

My uncle was on the MarDet during all of that. Has a big album of photos.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. This is why I started this thread. I have met several Vietnamese families with stories of how they escaped the communist takeover.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Admiral Nguyen
View All Quotes

Admiral Nguyen

Yup. The photographer, Eddie Adams, and Loan were friends before the photo was taken. An execution wasn’t expected and it caught Adams off guard. I believe he didn’t even know exactly what he’d captured until the film was sent back to the states to be developed, and that was the image chosen to run. He felt awful for how the photo was misconstrued and turned Loan into a pariah. Still, Loan did not blame Adams, and they remained lifelong friends.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Thanks for sharing. This is why I started this thread. I have met several Vietnamese families with stories of how they escaped the communist takeover.
View All Quotes

Thanks for both comments, Strontium and 4thUSMC.

I've known a Cambodian family since about 1989. They escaped Pol Pot's killing fields...well, all but their father, who was shot in the escape.

I heard stories from the three brothers (all political conservatives, surprise!) that gave me chills. Nightmarish stuff. Hell on earth.

Communism is always such a great thing for the working masses.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#48]
My dad is one of the last 11 Marines evacuated off the roof of the embassy.

Every April this time is special for him.  It was him and 10 other Marines against the NVA.  He said it felt like the Alamo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
My younger adopted brother came out on Operation Babylift. There was no room on the first C-5 for him. My parents got a phone call to get to JFK airport as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Top Top