Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
I'm going to make some egg salad and eat it.

It's  are loaded with cholesterol. The wife won't even let me touch it. Hardly seems to matter now, 'cause chances are we're already dead.
View Quote

I shovel well.  I shovel very well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:

Head south of the river. We got you. :)
View Quote

Lol thanks! I’m a good swimmer and runner so my chances are hopefully good
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
<------ Rolling Eyes.

I always hear about these solar flares and how they may knock out power and make other disruptions

Yet, nothing ever happens .
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What caliber for solar flair?

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Video:

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Tomorrow night looks promising for Aurora viewing way further south than usual

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Well that explains this yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Aurora live streaming sites:
Hudson Bay
Banff, Alberta
Levi, Lapland
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
We can hope!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]

It's  are loaded with cholesterol. The wife won't even let me touch it. Hardly seems to matter now, 'cause chances are we're already dead.
View Quote

You realize that eating cholesterol produced by a chicken has jack shit to do with cholesterol produced by your body?

It's like saying, "My wife won't let me eat chicken wings because I might grow feathers and fly away!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#12]
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

You realize that eating cholesterol produced by a chicken has jack shit to do with cholesterol produced by your body?

It's like saying, "My wife won't let me eat chicken wings because I might grow feathers and fly away!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not exactly correct.

In moderation, no real problem. Eat an omelette a day or whatever, sure.

But saying the cholesterol you consume has no effect on your cholesterol levels is oversimplifying.

Back when I was still competing in Sanshou and Muay Thai (decades ago), I worked out enough to stay in the 6-7% bodyfat range year round (been measuring my bodyfat since my teens).

Cheapest source of protein was eggs, so I ate between 24 - 30 eggs a day, every day. I love the yolks, so I wasn’t separating them out.

While visiting my parents, they had routine bloodwork scheduled, so they said, “You might as well have yours checked, too”.

My cholesterol was significantly higher than theirs. Doc asked, “What’s your diet like?”. I told him about the ~2+ dozen whole eggs a day. He said, “Yeah, maybe don’t do that”.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. Trying to gain muscle mass, for me, the eating is the hard part. The quantity of food I need to eat, is tough. I decided to use butter to hit my caloric goals, while minimizing the volume of food I needed to eat. After making sure I had my protein and carb macros down, I made up the extra calories with fat/butter (9 calories per gram vs 4c/g).

One year of eating half a stick of butter every day, resulted in arcus senilis (cholesterol deposits in the eyes. Once it happens, it’s permanent) over a single year (should have monitored my cholesterol levels while doing this). I had a checkup for PVD in one eye the year prior. PVD in the other eye, and another checkup to ensure there were no complications like retinal tears etc. showed the arcus.

I didn’t notice the arcus senilis developing, because the upper part was concealed by my eyelids, and I thought the lower part was merely an optical effect of the lighting above the mirror, but the same optometrist who’d seen me a year prior, noticed the development over the year, and asked when I’d last had my cholesterol levels checked. Yep, yet again, elevated cholesterol from consuming half a stick of butter every day for a year.

I’ve since switched to EVOO, as that has shown to not result in elevated cholesterol levels.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Not exactly correct.

But saying the cholesterol you consume has no effect on your cholesterol levels is oversimplifying.

Back when I was still competing in Sanshou and Muay Thai (decades ago), I worked out enough to stay in the 6-7% bodyfat range year round (been measuring my bodyfat since my teens).

Cheapest source of protein was eggs, so I ate between 24 - 30 eggs a day, every day. I love the yolks, so I wasn’t separating them out.

While visiting my parents, they had routine bloodwork scheduled, so they said, “You might as well have yours checked, too”.

My cholesterol was significantly higher than theirs. Doc asked, “What’s your diet like?”. I told him about the ~2+ dozen whole eggs a day. He said, “Yeah, maybe don’t do that”.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. Trying to gain muscle mass, for me, the eating is the hard part. The quantity of food I need to eat, is tough. I decided to use butter to hit my caloric goals, while minimizing the volume of food I needed to eat. After making sure I had my protein and carb macros down, I made up the extra calories with fat/butter (9 calories per gram vs 4c/g).

One year of eating half a stick of butter every day, resulted in arcus senilis (cholesterol deposits in the eyes. Once it happens, it’s permanent) over a single year (should have monitored my cholesterol levels while doing this). I had a checkup for PVD in one eye the year prior. PVD in the other eye, and another checkup to ensure there were no complications like retinal tears etc. showed the arcus.

I didn’t notice the arcus senilis developing, because the upper part was concealed by my eyelids, and I thought the lower part was merely an optical effect of the lighting above the mirror, but the same optometrist who’d seen me a year prior, noticed the development over the year, and asked when I’d last had my cholesterol levels checked. Yep, yet again, elevated cholesterol from consuming half a stick of butter every day for a year.

I’ve since switched to EVOO, as that has shown to not result in elevated cholesterol levels.
View Quote

Sir, this is a Doom thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Not many Mystery Men fans in this thread.
Next time I'll go with the standard "DOOM" instead of the lesser known "chances are we're already dead" implying we might as well live it up.

Although at my physical last month my doctor did say to cut back on the meat and cheese to lower my cholesterol.

Mystery Men (9/10) Movie CLIP - Rallying the Team (1999) HD

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Updated video from Suspicious0bservers
No cliff notes, just watch it, or don't I dont care.

High-Risk Solar Storm Forecast - Full Analysis

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
GET READY FOR A 'CANNIBAL CME': Multiple CMEs are heading for Earth (see the movie below). A new NOAA forecast model suggests that three of them could merge to form a potent "Cannibal CME." Cannibal CMEs form when fast-moving CMEs overtake slower CMEs in front of them. Internal shock waves created by such CME collisions do an good job sparking geomagnetic storms when they strike Earth's magnetic field. Indeed, NOAA is now predicting a severe storm on May 11th when the Cannibal arrives. CME impact alerts: SMS Text

https://spaceweather.com
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dieselman:
Maybe Carrington can save the world from A.I.
View Quote
Possibly  mankind's  only hope.
Humans can survive without electricity. Robots- not so much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Stop. It never happens.

When "it" happens there will be no warning. Whatever "It" is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Next time I'll go with the standard "DOOM" instead of the lesser known "chances are we're already dead" implying we might as well live it up.

Although at my physical last month my doctor did say to cut back on the meat and cheese to lower my cholesterol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFC2o44koIA
View Quote
You're like the Sphinx.
Mysterious.

Very Mysterious.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Not exactly correct.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
Ive taken over 4 of my neighbors houses and set up a perimeter defense.

Mother fucking sun not getting me!

Not today you bright fuck!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
So what are the statistical chances of a Carrington event in any given year of elevator solar activity?
View Quote
87% duh....we have rules here.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

"I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.".....great movie
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Press release from NOAA
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
Hopefully no Carrington crap happens while I'm on a damn airplane on the 13th. And I certainly don't wanna be stuck in Minneapolis without a gun during a power outage
View Quote
I'm flying to Shitcago tomorrow and back on Monday. I feel ya.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
4 X class solar flares have erupted from the sun in the last 24 hours.  Their coronal mass ejections will strike earth this weekend.  With 4 of them hitting us at the same time there is a chance that it takes out chunks of the power grid like a EMP does.  Keep your eye on the news even they should be reporting on this soon.  Here is a video with a better explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCA3jouCKk
View Quote

Fuck yeah! This is it, boys! Grab your gimp masks and leather assless chaps!
Fucking finally!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone have a link to an IMF forecast for the next two days? All I could find are more realtime measurements. praying for a big south orientation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Holy christ, the weather here is perfect for once, might finally get to see the northern lights tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Just so happens I’ll be in North Dakota tomorrow for the first time in 25 years….
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
Just so happens I’ll be in North Dakota tomorrow for the first time in 25 years….
View Quote

Norf deekoter!!!!!  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I think people read things like "potential to disrupt" and see "will destroy" instead of the reality.

The reality is ham radio won't be much fun this weekend, so I'll have to do something else.  Maybe take the kids camping or something.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I think people read things like "potential to disrupt" and see "will destroy" instead of the reality.

The reality is ham radio won't be much fun this weekend, so I'll have to do something else.  Maybe take the kids camping or something.
View Quote

Is that code for “grab SKS and go inna woods”?

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By highstepper:

Is that code for "grab SKS and go inna woods"?

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1320209859.0884/pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
View Quote

Close enough.

I wish I had bought an SKS in the early 90s when they were $99.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Hire a better   doctor, the one you've referenced above appears to be defective.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#38]
We are now up to 6 X class flares and their CME’s are on the way to earth.  Throughout the whole weekend now we should have a good chance of seeing the Auroras from them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Severe Solar Storm Threatens Power Grids and Navigation Systems

US issues its first severe storm warning since January 2005
Large sunspot is responsible for this week’s solar bursts

A severe solar storm this weekend threatens to trigger blackouts, disrupt navigation systems and knock out high-frequency radios around the world.
This is the first time since January 2005 the US Space Weather Prediction Center has issued a G4 geomagnetic storm watch — the second-highest on a five-step scale — as multiple waves of solar energy bear down on the planet. Five eruptions of material from the sun’s atmosphere are forecast to arrive starting late on Friday and persist through Sunday.

“Watches at this level are very rare,” the Space Weather Prediction Center said.

While people will be protected by Earth’s magnetic field, unprepared electric grids can be disrupted, pipelines can be charged with current and spacecraft can be knocked off course. The last time Earth was hit by a G5 storm – the worst on the scale – was October 2003, causing power outages in Sweden and damaged transformers in South Africa.
The storm’s true power will be known about 60 to 90 minutes before it hits Earth as satellites measure inbound bursts of energy. Large parts of Asia, Europe and North America may be able to see an aurora, often called the Northern Lights, overnight where skies are dark and clear enough, the UK Met Office said. It is likely the aurora will be visible across the entire UK.

In addition, trans-polar flights between Europe, Asia and North America will likely be rerouted to avoid increased radiation exposure for passengers and crews.
The culprit is a sunspot cluster visible on the right side of the sun’s disc that is 16 times wider than Earth. The sun, which rolls through an 11-year cycle in which the number of spots waxes and wanes, is approaching the peak of the current one that began in December 2019.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-10/severe-solar-storm-threatens-power-grids-and-navigation-systems
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#40]
We are now up to 6 X class flares and their CME’s are on the way to earth.  Throughout the whole weekend now we should have a good chance of seeing the Auroras from them.
View Quote

They might push our auroras in.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Severe Solar Storm Threatens Power Grids and Navigation Systems

US issues its first severe storm warning since January 2005
Large sunspot is responsible for this week’s solar bursts

A severe solar storm this weekend threatens to trigger blackouts, disrupt navigation systems and knock out high-frequency radios around the world.
This is the first time since January 2005 the US Space Weather Prediction Center has issued a G4 geomagnetic storm watch — the second-highest on a five-step scale — as multiple waves of solar energy bear down on the planet. Five eruptions of material from the sun’s atmosphere are forecast to arrive starting late on Friday and persist through Sunday.

“Watches at this level are very rare,” the Space Weather Prediction Center said.

While people will be protected by Earth’s magnetic field, unprepared electric grids can be disrupted, pipelines can be charged with current and spacecraft can be knocked off course. The last time Earth was hit by a G5 storm – the worst on the scale – was October 2003, causing power outages in Sweden and damaged transformers in South Africa.
The storm’s true power will be known about 60 to 90 minutes before it hits Earth as satellites measure inbound bursts of energy. Large parts of Asia, Europe and North America may be able to see an aurora, often called the Northern Lights, overnight where skies are dark and clear enough, the UK Met Office said. It is likely the aurora will be visible across the entire UK.

In addition, trans-polar flights between Europe, Asia and North America will likely be rerouted to avoid increased radiation exposure for passengers and crews.
The culprit is a sunspot cluster visible on the right side of the sun’s disc that is 16 times wider than Earth. The sun, which rolls through an 11-year cycle in which the number of spots waxes and wanes, is approaching the peak of the current one that began in December 2019.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-10/severe-solar-storm-threatens-power-grids-and-navigation-systems
View Quote

Link to article where you don’t have to pay?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I installed some clouds in AO that way the sun can’t get me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Silas:

Link to article where you don’t have to pay?
View Quote

Here you go https://archive.ph/vO9LS
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#46]
What round for solar flare? Bought a 55 gallon drum of KY jelly so we should be ready for the ‘pocalypse.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Yet, still barely any 10 or 6 meter activity.

WTF?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#48]
motherfucking clouds
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

After those six little love taps to hammer away at and pre-weaken Earth's magnetic field, seems like a big one today could be bad news.

Thing has to be rotating out of Earth-effective range soon...  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Has AOC blamed this on Global Warming/Climate Change yet?
Page / 14
Top Top