Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy.  Shit.  

Proposal - can we put up an "In Memoriam" tacked thread for our members who fall in the LOD?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences to you folks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh no oh no no no

RIP

Prayers out
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:11:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kates] [#4]

ETA:  just read through some of his old posts.  Seemed like a respectful, knowledgeable, nice guy.  God be with his family and loved ones.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
3 kids dear g-d.  
More Prayers out .

What can we do for them?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Rest in peace brother.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Striker:
           Phoenix Police        @phoenixpolice          The second officer is out of surgery and recovering in ICU. We are grateful for your thoughts and Prayers during this difficult time.

Local news said he has been upgraded from critical to stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Jesus christ.
This man is a hero.
Rest easy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Rest in peace brother.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My prayers out for the Hobbs Family and for his partner, that he will not get stuck in that survivor's remorse rut, that God will give him peace of heart and mind, and that he can get past this.

And to the community they served, that they would at least read the article, and have some sort of gratitude for those Sheepdogs......the barbed wire that protects the sheep from the wolves......God bless all of you Brothers and Sisters of the Star or Shield.

Stoner63A

El Paso County Sheriff's Office

Oct 97 - June 2005
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
R.I.P officer Hobbs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
RIP, Officer Hobbs...

Tagged for fundraiser information...
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
John was an friend of mine. I met him for a face to face when he bought something off the EE.  He was the first guy I had met that way.  We talked about 1911s and offered to help me with a custom gun.

He  then built a custom 1911 for me.  Did all sorts of work on it to make it what I really wanted but could not afford.  And did not charge anything extra.  He was that kind of person.

I had not talked to him in a year or so. We would chat during the SAR show.  

A hell of a nice guy.  And a beautiful family.

This is from a saved IM (2009) he sent me here:

"I still work as a detective. I'm assigned to our Major Offender Bureau. Our main job is hunting down and apprehending folks with probably cause on homicides, armed robbery, sexual assault, and kidnapping. We also pick up subjects with felony arrest warrants if we're short on PC cases. The nice thing is that we go state wide for arrests, and we go international for extraditions. I've been up to Flag a couple times in the last year to arrest folks."

God speed, John.

Let me know about the fund.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Rest in peace, Officer Hobbs.

Prayer offered for the friends and family of Officer Hobbs, and for the other officer who was wounded and his family.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
R.I.P
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
He was a dear friend and neighbor for years, saw my kids grow up as we did with his young ones, he will be missed, praying for his family, partner and his family as well
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Prayers sent out to the family and friends.  Glad he took that peace of shit out.  May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#21]
OMG so very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Rest in peace and Godspeed, hero.

Prayers sent for family and friends.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
RIP, and Godspeed......

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I just saw the update. He posted in a thread I was reading only a few hours before the shooting. He was very knowledgeable and an asset to Arfcom and his community. R.I.P.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Versace] [#25]
Never talked to him.. don't recall seeing his posts.. Yet this still hits home..  One big family and all..
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#26]

I hate that we have to grieve for such good men.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, sorry to hear about this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
So sorry to hear that.

Prayers for his family.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By ragedracer1977:
Officer killed was an ARFcommer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By mp9fan:

Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

I wish I was.  I keep bringing his number up in my phone.  I want to call.  But I don't want to know.

I know several have tried calling, but just keeps getting voicemail.

confirmed

Truly sorry. Prayers for them, families, and arfcom friends...

Officer killed was an ARFcommer.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]
My God....  Prayers to the family, friends, and acquaintances.  

RIP  
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
What a hell of an officer.  I'm sure he was an even better son, father and friend.

Rest in peace, brother.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
damn
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eric802] [#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#34]
RIP Hobbs. Didn't know the guy but liked reading his posts. Will there be a fund set up for his family?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
RIP

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akakirby] [#36]
Very sad news RIP Officer Hobbs
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]
R.I.P.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#38]
RIP Brother...we'll take it from here.    
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Over the last 6 months, I have got to know John.  He has been an avid poster in the 1911 Meusoc thread  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/86667_.html&page=56&anc=1581459#i1581459.  

His wealth of Knowledge, dedication and interest in this USMC weapon platform is amazing.  We have conversed on numerous occasions and he has gone out of his way to help me out with some of my builds.

I will always remember him and pray for his wife and kids.  I have kids the same age as his and can't imagine what they are going through right now.

This man was a huge asset to the AR15.com community and to this world in general, he will be missed.

RIP and Semper Fi!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Talked to a guy in the know.  Looks like John was hit, went down, and then returned fire striking the subject several times, possibly did kill him.  Don't know for sure.  He didn't fucking give up.

Godspeed Brother.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Terrible to hear especially when he was member here.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Plenty of ways to donate if you are that type and can do it.

This is not a solicitation, however the 100 Club is a great organization and are already working for John. If you are so inclined, you can read more and find ways to give here.

You can designate all of your funds to go to John's family if you choose to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh no, this is horrible.  

RIP Hobbs.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#46]
For those that were not familiar with his posting style, here is just one example of his generous sharing of information;

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:

A note on parts for early ("Variant 1" through "Variant 3") pistols. That tech manual floating around out there that is dated 1994 has a listing for just about everything. When I started building mine, I looked up all those parts numbers. I noted that almost everything had either a CAGE Code/NSN number or a Brownells parts number. There are search engines for the CAGEC and NSNs. I've found it best to just google those numbers, as some of those search engines will bring back generic results. If anyone is curious about a specific part, I can tell you from experience every one of those CAGEC and NSNs can be found. Most small parts are USGI.

As for Brownells parts numbers, just ask me. I have a 1994 Brownells catalog on hand. Some of those parts, such as the Videki trigger, can easily be substituted by the use of a Greider trigger. Greider after all bought out the Videki tooling. Some other things of note that I found while building mine:

-The MGW hammer specified in the manual is impossible to find new in the wrapper. However, I can tell you from memory building with those hammers back in the 90s, they are like a 90s era Colt Commander hammer with a countersunk hole, but they do not have relieved sides, and they have a Series 70 captive half cock notch. Very few hammers were made with that combination of features. Since you can't work around the Series 70 captive half cock notch, if you're aim is the very finest details, it's easy enough to get an early used Colt hammer and simply countersink the hole, or you could get a Swenson hammer from Midway and do the same. The Swenson is of low quality, so I would go with a Colt.

-I wondered if the Bar-Sto barrel of today was the same as those used in the 90s. Though I had installed them back then I remembered the font being smaller. A call to Bar-Sto confirmed they are identical to the ones being made in California back in the 90s, including the hood markings.

-The sear, which I never see anyone talk about, is an MGW. I spoke to MGW last year. They have no old stock, have no plans to produce any of these old parts, and have nobody around that remembers the fine details regarding appearance or material. I can tell you that an MGW sear, again from having installed them back then, looks like a plain blued steal sear with a square face, no extra material for take up, and has the double crescent cut on the rear curve. In other words, it looks like most standard sears.

-The Pachmayr grips back then had no provision for an ambi safety cutout. Not that it matters, but I'm mentioning it for those who are into the small details.

-This is more for the do-it-yourselfers or for your smiths. For those who haven't fit a King's safety before, they suck in one aspect. The detent hole is always too low on the face of the safety. Sure, you can move it up, but on a King's the area above is so thin, you end up with an unsightly circle with the detent exposed above the lever. I mention it for two reasons. I left mine where it's at, because changing it was damned ugly. That means you have a safety that can have two stopping points in the down position. It's not a functional issue, but an issue of annoyance. You flick down your safety, and if you push down further it will move down further. Fitting it correctly for a nice feel will result in that unsightly exposed detent issue. You choose your evil on that one.

Those are just some random thoughts on parts. Good luck folks on your builds.

All though I did not know him personally, he just seemed like one hell of a great guy, we all lost a good one in Hobbs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, I hope I'm not out of line for asking this but can you please post an update when you can with the funeral arrangements? Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Rest in peace officer. Too too young to die. My heart goes out to his family.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#49]
may his soul and those of all the faithful departed rest in peace through the mercy of Christ. EOW 3/3/14 RIP brother
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top