Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 4:51:22 PM EDT
Hey whats a good road bike for about 1000-1200 dollars? Also should I hold out for a bit? From everything I understand lots of stuff might go cheap due to oversuply?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
OST

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Depends if you need an odd size. Cannondale and Trek have the market. Having said that I have never regretted spending more for a terratrike it’s not as fast but the back support is a game changer for me. Sales pop up often around July 4. But is not riding half the summer worth the hundred dollars savings - perhaps not. Consider the E-bikes also but that’s lots more money. Talked to a guy with a Rambo R1000XP who used his like a dirt bike and loved it.
View Quote

I will only ride on paved roads. I may wait since hernia surgery is up in the air.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I got a Trek Pilot. I didn't want an "entry" bike or something with bottom grade components. But I didn't want to spend a decent used car amount on the latest and greatest.

It rode great, but my area had too many roads with debris that popped tires. Depending on your riding area, maybe look into the "hybrids" or I think they're called "cross-cycles"? Look like a road bike, but has wider tires for more varied terrain.

Local bike shop can help out, too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Years ago I got a Trek Pilot. I didn't want an "entry" bike or something with bottom grade components. But I didn't want to spend a decent used car amount on the latest and greatest.

It rode great, but my area had too many roads with debris that popped tires. Depending on your riding area, maybe look into the "hybrids" or I think they're called "cross-cycles"? Look like a road bike, but has wider tires for more varied terrain.

Local bike shop can help out, too.
View Quote

It will only go to hoity toity bike paths at parks and zero communting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a road bike, hybrid, MTB and a Cx/gravel bike.

The Cx bike is the most versatile one in the fleet. The ability to use wider tires is a nice feature. I used it as my road bike option initially and bought a spare wheelset for an on-road and off-road option.

If you really want to ride far and fast a good road bike is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
https://www.terratrike.com/product/maverick-2/
View Quote

That's a recumbent bike tho
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Hey whats a good road bike for about 1000-1200 dollars? Also should I hold out for a bit? From everything I understand lots of stuff might go cheap due to oversuply?
View Quote
where are you and how tall?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
where are you and how tall?
View Quote

Buffalo NY.
I'm 5'7" but I'm mostly torso with 2 beer cans for legs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
In that price range I'd be looking at the Specialized Diverge E5. Normally $1300 they are on sale for a grand. Very versatile bike.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Buffalo NY.
I'm 5'7" but I'm mostly torso with 2 beer cans for legs.
View Quote

Can't help you.  Everything in the garage is too big for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Giant TCR.  End thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Check FB market place. Deals are out there on a 3-4 year old bike.
I like specialized Roubaix
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Check FB market place. Deals are out there on a 3-4 year old bike.
I like specialized Roubaix
View Quote

Roubaix is outside his price range. But I agree...it's a sweet ride. But I'm biased. I know you are too.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Roubaix is outside his price range. But I agree...it's a sweet ride. But I'm biased. I know you are too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20230729_162951-2994826.jpg
View Quote

Is this the bike you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:47:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#17]
It is, but I would be weary of that site. New 2020s in stock in all sizes for 65% off seems pretty farfetched.

For context that is a $3,600 bike.

The newer models are even more. The 2022 version of this bike (the version I have) was $5,500.

The cheapest Roubaix is the standard base model and is about double your budget.

Maybe you found a gold mine, who knows. When you add to cart you get another 8% off.

ETA just did some Googling. Scam site. There are dozens of these examples:

A Diverge for $523 would be a hard FO if legit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
It is, but I would be weary of that site. New 2020s in stock in all sizes for 65% off seems pretty farfetched.

For context that is a $3,600 bike.

The newer models are even more. The 2022 version of this bike (the version I have) was $5,500.

The cheapest Roubaix is the standard base model and is about double your budget.

Maybe you found a gold mine, who knows. When you add to cart you get another 8% off.

ETA just did some Googling. Scam site. There are dozens of these examples:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010377-3203618.jpg

A Diverge for $523 would be a hard FO if legit.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. Quick check and it shows up as 100% scam.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Scam site. If you find one for that price on market place I would jump
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]
What about domane AL4 gen 4?
Its quite a bit more but it seems that the frame and geometry is a bit more comfy and newb friendly. Im a huge fat ass right now and this may be a better option and seems to be more upgradable later on?
https://www.bertsbikes.com/product/trek-domane-al-4-gen-4-551490-1.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]
What about domane AL4 gen 4?
Its quite a bit more but it seems that the frame and geometry is a bit more comfy and newb friendly. Im a huge fat ass right now and this may be a better option and seems to be more upgradable later on?
https://www.bertsbikes.com/product/trek-domane-al-4-gen-4-551490-1.htm
View Quote
Trek makes a good bike.  The AL4 is a great value and even looks carbon which is kinda cool.  As for ride...Aluminum most time is a little bit more harder compared to the same geometry of a carbon.  With that being said Trek then changed the geometry to help with the aluminum harder ride.

In fact AL based frames are sometimes very common in the USA Crits since they are tons less money than carbon.  The AL frames for crits are just fine since the race is "short" and comfy is not what they are looking for.   I am now all carbon but I used to have a Giant TCR AL and it rode very nice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Trek makes a good bike.  The AL4 is a great value and even looks carbon which is kinda cool.  As for ride...Aluminum most time is a little bit more harder compared to the same geometry of a carbon.  With that being said Trek then changed the geometry to help with the aluminum harder ride.

In fact AL based frames are sometimes very common in the USA Crits since they are tons less money than carbon.  The AL frames for crits are just fine since the race is "short" and comfy is not what they are looking for.   I am now all carbon but I used to have a Giant TCR AL and it rode very nice.
View Quote

Carbon is too rich for my blood. 100% of my rides will be on paved blackstop, would AL be ok for that?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#23]
You looking to be bent over & aerodynamic while cover miles or upright & cruising around town?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Carbon is too rich for my blood. 100% of my rides will be on paved blackstop, would AL be ok for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes...I think that bike has really good tire clearance so I would put 32c tires on that and it will ride faster and more comfy.....in fact both my racing wheels and training wheels are 32c tubeless.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes...I think that bike has really good tire clearance so I would put 32c tires on that and it will ride faster and more comfy.....in fact both my racing wheels and training wheels are 32c tubeless.
View All Quotes

I see that it does come with 32c tires....Upgrading to quality tires on those wheels would be best bang for your buck.  The rims are tubeless ready so get some 32c tubeless tires and you can run even lower tire pressure.  I am about 195lb and run 60-55 psi on my tubeless 32c.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ICU:
You looking to be bent over & aerodynamic while cover miles or upright & cruising around town?
View Quote

Bent guy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I see that it does come with 32c tires....Upgrading to quality tires on those wheels would be best bang for your buck.  The rims are tubeless ready so get some 32c tubeless tires and you can run even lower tire pressure.  I am about 195lb and run 60-55 psi on my tubeless 32c.
View Quote

32c? What does it mean? How is this number related to speed and rolling resistance?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#28]

32c? What does it mean? How is this number related to speed and rolling resistance?
View Quote
oh sorry.  Bicycle tires come in widths 23,25,28,30,32,35,48,40,45.  Most modern road bikes with disc brakes can go up to 32c tires.  Wider the tire lower the PSI and most time they do roll faster (tons of new data to show that).  Since you are not worried about being super aero a 32c wide tire is a great option.  The bike does come with 32c tubed and wire bead tires.....so they are super basic.  Upgrading the tires I would right away.  A great priced tire is American Classic Torchbearer.  You can get those on Amazon in tubed or tubeless.  For you since you are new to bicycles I would go with tubed for now and you can get tubeless after you wear out the first set.  I use these for all my training miles and I get about 3-4k miles on them.  If you want a little more "faster" tire American Classic also makes Timekeeper however you will have a higher risk of flats (very small but it is there).  I have used the Timekeeper for racing in the past with zero issues.

Oh one think is American Classic tires are always one size smaller than stated.  So a 32c tire is more close to a 30c tire from other mfg.  As a whole the industry is working to make standards...but it will take time.

If you have questions on other road bike tires ask me.....there is a good chance I have ridden them in the past.  For the record my racing wheels have Continental Grand Prix 5000 STR 32c and the other set is Vittoria Corsa G+ 30c tubed with TPU tubes (makes a super light wheelset).

Tires I have/or ridden:
Most Continentals (GP4k, GP5k, 4 Seasons)
Pirelli
American Classic
Vittoria
Mavic
Hutchinson
Specialized
IRC
Michelin

My top go to for racing is Continentals, Pirelli or Vittoria.  Each have different strengths and weakness.
My top go to for training is American Classic (cheaper) and sometimes Continental 4 Seasons.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#29]
oh sorry.  Bicycle tires come in widths 23,25,28,30,32,35,48,40,45.  Most modern road bikes with disc brakes can go up to 32c tires.  Wider the tire lower the PSI and most time they do roll faster (tons of new data to show that).  Since you are not worried about being super aero a 32c wide tire is a great option.  The bike does come with 32c tubed and wire bead tires.....so they are super basic.  Upgrading the tires I would right away.  A great priced tire is American Classic Torchbearer.  You can get those on Amazon in tubed or tubeless.  For you since you are new to bicycles I would go with tubed for now and you can get tubeless after you wear out the first set.  I use these for all my training miles and I get about 3-4k miles on them.  If you want a little more "faster" tire American Classic also makes Timekeeper however you will have a higher risk of flats (very small but it is there).  I have used the Timekeeper for racing in the past with zero issues.

Oh one think is American Classic tires are always one size smaller than stated.  So a 32c tire is more close to a 30c tire from other mfg.  As a whole the industry is working to make standards...but it will take time.

If you have questions on other road bike tires ask me.....there is a good chance I have ridden them in the past.  For the record my racing wheels have Continental Grand Prix 5000 STR 32c and the other set is Vittoria Corsa G+ 30c tubed with TPU tubes (makes a super light wheelset).

Tires I have/or ridden:
Pirelli
American Classic
Vittoria
Mavic
Hutchinson
Specialized
IRC
Michelin

My top go to for racing is Continentals, Pirelli or Vittoria.  Each have different strengths and weakness.
My top go to for training is American Classic (cheaper) and sometimes Continental 4 Seasons.

View Quote

I will probably "find out" when I go to the store and get fitted but I have a question.
I am in a perfect shitty zone of being 5'7" where most sizing stops right there and I am perfectly in the middle of Small/Medium frame split. I am mostly torso with 2 beer cans for legs. Should I go for a smaller frame or a larger frame?
This is probably going to sound corny but during winter before I got so fat that I had to start sending post cards to Bogdan Jr I used to cross country ski a LOT, do 20-25 kilometers a day with LOTS of elevation changes. Just something about being out there being lost in your own thoughts and world pushing myself. I am hoping to recapture that feeling on a bike too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]

I will probably "find out" when I go to the store and get fitted but I have a question.
I am in a perfect shitty zone of being 5'7" where most sizing stops right there and I am perfectly in the middle of Small/Medium frame split. I am mostly torso with 2 beer cans for legs. Should I go for a smaller frame or a larger frame?
This is probably going to sound corny but during winter before I got so fat that I had to start sending post cards to Bogdan Jr I used to cross country ski a LOT, do 20-25 kilometers a day with LOTS of elevation changes. Just something about being out there being lost in your own thoughts and world pushing myself. I am hoping to recapture that feeling on a bike too.
View All Quotes

Tires I have/or ridden:
Pirelli
American Classic
Vittoria
Mavic
Hutchinson
Specialized
IRC
Michelin

I am 5-9 so kinda in that same "zone".  I ride a 54 in size which I think would be good for you.  If you go to a 52...you will fit but the drop in the front will be greater and as a first road bike you might not want that.  

Yeah I wear Shokz when riding solo and can listen to the tunes for hours on end....it is a good way for me to keep it at race pace for solo training.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I would try a 52, maybe change the stem if needed. Getting a good fit really helps. Most shops have a floor fit for around $50. This concentrate on saddle height and positioning and handlebar.
Top Top