Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2024 8:00:06 PM EDT
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is at odds with state officials and the dairy industry over its on-the-ground response to the avian flu outbreak spreading among dairy cows, complicating President Joe Biden's efforts to track and contain a virus that has the potential to sicken millions of people.

Many farmers don't want federal health officials on their property. State agriculture officials worry the federal response is sidelining animal health experts at the Agriculture Department, and also that some potential federal interventions threaten to hinder state and local health officials rushing to respond to the outbreaks.

"It's overreach. They don't need to do that. They need to back off," Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, a former rodeo cowboy who is a possible pick to lead the USDA if former President Donald Trump wins the presidential election, said in an interview.

Texas, the first state where the bird flu virus was detected, has not invited the CDC to conduct epidemiological field studies there, even though its health department is open to the research, because, "We haven't found a dairy farm that is interested in participating," said Lara Anton, a spokesperson for the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The resistance of dairy farmers is emblematic of the trust gap between key agriculture players in both red and blue states and federal health officials   one that public health experts fear could hamper the nation's ability to head off the virus' threat to humans.

"The risk here of something going from one or two sporadic [human] cases to becoming something of international concern, it's not insignificant," CDC Principal Deputy Director Nirav Shah said at a recent Council on Foreign Relations event.

"We've all seen how a virus can spread around the globe before public health has even had a chance to get its shoes on," Shah added. "That's a risk and one that we have to be mindful of."
View Quote
#twoweekstoflattenthecurvebois
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It’d be a shame if Feds started ‘disappearing…’
A real shame.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMiller] [#2]
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for this. If we ever are in danger of a real pandemic, the most important thing is to track it as early as possible.  The longer it goes untracked the less chance you have of keeping it under control.  Why would anybody not want this to happen?

ETA: I get distrust of the feds, I lived through Covid just like everybody else here, and no--never got vaxxed, never will.

But testing and tracking is independent of the questions of what to do when it's detected.  We can have that conversation without choosing willful ignorance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CMiller:
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for this. If we ever are in danger of a real pandemic, the most important thing is to track it as early as possible.  The longer it goes untracked the less chance you have of keeping it under control.  Why would anybody not want this to happen?
View Quote

Lol why would anyone mistrust the government?

See I can ask retarded questions too. Stick to the TDS threads it's more your speed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's spread by migratory birds.
There is no stopping it now.
How did it get here is the only question....
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a fine line that needs to be towed. The government does have some responsibility to at least know what is going on and try to make a plan to mitigate it before entire sectors of the economy get wiped out.

They can't really do that without inspections of some kind.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#6]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is at odds with state officials and the dairy industry over its on-the-ground response to the avian flu outbreak spreading among dairy cows, complicating President Joe Biden's efforts to track and contain a virus that has the potential to sicken millions of people.

Many farmers don't want federal health officials on their property. State agriculture officials worry the federal response is sidelining animal health experts at the Agriculture Department, and also that some potential federal interventions threaten to hinder state and local health officials rushing to respond to the outbreaks.

"It's overreach. They don't need to do that. They need to back off," Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, a former rodeo cowboy who is a possible pick to lead the USDA if former President Donald Trump wins the presidential election, said in an interview.

Texas, the first state where the bird flu virus was detected, has not invited the CDC to conduct epidemiological field studies there, even though its health department is open to the research, because, "We haven't found a dairy farm that is interested in participating," said Lara Anton, a spokesperson for the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The resistance of dairy farmers is emblematic of the trust gap between key agriculture players in both red and blue states and federal health officials   one that public health experts fear could hamper the nation's ability to head off the virus' threat to humans.

"The risk here of something going from one or two sporadic [human] cases to becoming something of international concern, it's not insignificant," CDC Principal Deputy Director Nirav Shah said at a recent Council on Foreign Relations event.

"We've all seen how a virus can spread around the globe before public health has even had a chance to get its shoes on," Shah added. "That's a risk and one that we have to be mindful of."
View Quote
View Quote

No one trusts the federal government on any topic related to infectious diseases.  Full stop.  Maybe don’t lie and manipulate the population next time around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Jesus Christ dude...that is all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
There's a fine line that needs to be towed. The government does have some responsibility to at least know what is going on and try to make a plan to mitigate it before entire sectors of the economy get wiped out.

View Quote

Any information the federal government gathers is so steeped in politics as to be useless.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
How do I get rid of these advertisments that always come up when I open posting and do not go away, they are there all the time...crappy,crappylllllllll
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By C-4:

No one trusts the federal government on any topic related to infectious diseases.  Full stop.  Maybe don’t lie and manipulate the population next time around.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Go get another booster.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck the government.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
A real shame.
View Quote

I imagine most dairy farmers have hog farmers are neighbors.

You know, to act as a buffer from disease spreading.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cgale:
How do I get rid of these advertisments that always come up when I open posting and do not go away, they are there all the time...crappy,crappylllllllll
View Quote

$24
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
View Quote

Well in dairy herds.. it may be spread by feeding poultry litter... ie they literally feed chicken shit to cows...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Lock. It. Down.

It's a selection year.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

One word. "Fauchi"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
lol the writing is on the wall
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Purposeful destruction of our food supply.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
Lock. It. Down.

It's a selection year.
View Quote
Die Hard - Shut it down now

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Sure you can check my herd thats perfectly healthy.

Gov- we found avian flu. We will be back tomorrow to eradicate them

6 months later
Gov- turns out our tests were faulty

2 years later
Gov- now that we have eradicated all cows and everyone is eating crickets we have found that avian flu doesnt pose the risk we initially though. Unfortunately the cricket flu is making us switch everyone to meal worms
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Government is the source of all good. They have only improved what they touch and kept the citizens safe and sovereignty intact.  They have only kept citizens safe and healthy. Never have they sacrificed citizen health or rights for political purpose and power.

If only I could double ignore users.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Who would trust the government to do the right thing at this point.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By tveddy:

6 months later

2 years later
Gov- now that we have eradicated all cows and everyone is eating crickets we have found that avian flu doesnt pose the risk we initially though. Unfortunately the cricket flu is making us switch everyone to meal worms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

6 months later

2 years later

Has the government been euthanizing sick herds?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By chronium76:

See I can ask retarded questions too. Stick to the TDS threads it's more your speed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chronium76:

🤣🤣🤣
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

It's clear you aren't familiar with the fed tactic of whole herd or whole flock depopulation. Indemnities are woefully inadequate to compensate producers for losses.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
View Quote

Definitely not from millions of parasites from 3rd world countries flooding our country.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
A real shame.
View Quote

I would tirelessly work to help locate them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
The Boy Who Cried Wolf comes to mind for this latest "health emergency". I like Sergei Prokofiev's version.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

This
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

6 months later

2 years later

Seriously?  Government orders "depopulation" of livestock on a regular basis.  Do you know how a farmer "euthanizes" a henhouse with 100K chickens in it?  They run them through a wood chipper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Well in dairy herds.. it may be spread by feeding poultry litter... ie they literally feed chicken shit to cows...
View Quote

Go ahead and show me proof of this. I've been in ag my whole life and this is absloute bullshit lies.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Oh gee I wonder why.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

The gov emphasizes many herds. Are you really this clueless?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#35]
As if biden has a response to bird flu.  Fucker can't even read a teleprompter or walk across the lawn.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Go ahead and show me proof of this. I've been in ag my whole life and this is absloute bullshit lies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glock63:
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

What? It's the absolute truth. And I've only been watching my FIL raise a herd for the last 12 years. You don't know this happens? Really?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:

The gov emphasizes many herds. Are you really this clueless?
View Quote

How do you emphasize a herd?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Found one!!!!!.jpg
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Already sick birds here in Alaska the past few years.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Ask DOW?  We had dead snow geese all over this winter, yes they had the bird flu.  Surprised the bald eagles lived through it as they are white headed vultures on dead geese.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Erick1744:
Who would trust the government to do the right thing at this point.
View Quote

This sums it up entirely.  Maybe nancy piglosi can help us out by sending us all a big pile of money like she did the last time.  Let the next generation pay for our excesses.  

kwg
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

The federal government is incompetent, dishonest and biased to the last man.  They have an agenda that they will push at all costs to the American public.  They cannot be trusted with the simplest task.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#45]
As a farmer you don't want the USDA anywhere near your property. My family went through similar horseshit when they discovered some fatal airborne bug that killed citrus trees. They would come in test the trees for this disease and mail you $25 for each tree that they cut down. Now a rational person goes, well how fatal is this tree disease? Oh about, 20 -25 years. And how does this disease migrate? Oh, a bug bites into an infected tree and now spreads it to uninfected trees.

So let me get this straight,  you want me to topple trees that are mature and productive,  have me accept a $25 per tree replacement value that is underwhelming because even a crippled tree makes at least $800 in a season. And have me start at zero for at least 5 years while I nurture this young tree, just to have you come back years later and tag the new tree, and in shoots and ladder style send me back to square one with no profit,  only loss, go fuck yourself!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#46]

ETA: I get distrust of the feds, I lived through Covid just like everybody else here, and no--never got vaxxed, never will.

But testing and tracking is independent of the questions of what to do when it's detected.  We can have that conversation without choosing willful ignorance.
View Quote

Try this:

Why does the federal government need to get involved?  There's a state equivalent that's perfectly capable.  Hell, there are county health departments for a reason,  and it's not just WIC and STD testing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMiller] [#47]

6 months later

2 years later
View Quote

Originally Posted By RTX:

It's clear you aren't familiar with the fed tactic of whole herd or whole flock depopulation. Indemnities are woefully inadequate to compensate producers for losses.
View Quote

I get that.  Is quarantine an option?  Are animals all dying or do they recover?

I'm sure they want to keep it out of the food supply, are they testing at the packing plants?

Just seems like there ought to be a way to figure out a good solution that works for everybody, our only choices shouldn't be "do nothing and see what happens" or "feds ruin everything".

If nothing else, don't we want to prevent it spreading to other herds?  I'd rather not see beef prices go up, we eat a lot of it!

ETA: from some quick Googling, it says it's killing the small mammals but cows are mostly not showing symptoms.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
We’re all dead here in Iowa. Sorry you missed the memo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#49]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:

What? It's the absolute truth. And I've only been watching my FIL raise a herd for the last 12 years. You don't know this happens? Really?
View Quote

Ive never seen nor heard of this in my area.   Poultry litter is extensively spread for fertilizer here, and cattle get very strict diets, especially the dairy animals.   I cannot fathom feeding my cattle poultry excrement and wood shavings.  Why?  Theres zero nuttitional value, and the nitrates could be potentially lethal.  This is absolutely new to me, and we sell alfalfa and high quality hay to dairy and cattle operations in ND, SD, MN, and WI.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

They should just make the cows wear a mask.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top