Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the OP's carpet and if it is why does he have unknown snakes crawling on it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Water snakes have round pupils.  Trust me this snake did not!!!  I got a little too close for comfort just getting the pic and he-she was extremely pissed at that point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tail tapering helps in distinguishing gender, but does not lend itself to determing species or genus.
The last two pics do appear to be Akistrodon, the original pic appears to be Nerodia.

Water snakes have round pupils.  Trust me this snake did not!!!  I got a little too close for comfort just getting the pic and he-she was extremely pissed at that point.

I'm aware of that. I've been studying snakes for close to 40 yrs and maintain a large venomous collection in my home. I spend as much of my free time as possible in the field looking for and photographiing them.
Fair enough, you were there and I was not. Just sayin, FROM THE PIC, it appears to be a water snake. I can make out enough of the head shape and body pattern to make that call.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm aware of that. I've been studying snakes for close to 40 yrs and maintain a large venomous collection in my home. I spend as much of my free time as possible in the field looking for and photographiing them.
Fair enough, you were there and I was not. Just sayin, FROM THE PIC, it appears to be a water snake. I can make out enough of the head shape and body pattern to make that call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tail tapering helps in distinguishing gender, but does not lend itself to determing species or genus.
The last two pics do appear to be Akistrodon, the original pic appears to be Nerodia.

Yep we have thousands of water snakes also everywhere around here!!!!  Don't like em but not afraid of them either.  This was not one of them.  Water snakes do not smell like a cottonmouth either.  Since this was in a state park campground I just chased it off with a stick.  No harm done as bad as I would like to kill all cottonmouths!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That snake is definitely not a pit viper, the head is waaaaay too narrow, not sure what it is, but its non poisonous.
View Quote

Pssstttt.....it's a water snake.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cottonmouth about 3.5-4 ft long at Reelfoot Lake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One that is a lot nicer than the one my wife nearly stepped on yesterday.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/sneaky_zps3b1bc65d.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic....water snake?

Cottonmouth about 3.5-4 ft long at Reelfoot Lake.
Sorry man, that is 100% NOT a cottonmouth.  Shape and pattern are not even close.  It is a diamondback/brown water snake.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Baby black rat snake if you are in AL.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Dairy Milk Snake.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That snake is definitely not a pit viper, the head is waaaaay too narrow, not sure what it is, but its non poisonous.

LOL.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife walked up a few feet from this rattler back in August. She was about 4-5 feet away when I spotted it and yanked her back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOL.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  

Just don't tell tnriverluver!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top