Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I was going to watch it, too, because all the astrophysicists on GD assured me that it correctly used a bunch of scientifical words so it must be much more realistic than most sci-fi bullshit!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Page 2!

ETA: Belongs to someone else!

And it was going to be my one and only "page ownage" post, too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You got to watch Matt Damon get blown to Hell.  What's not to like?
View Quote

By that standard Elysium was a good movie
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the movie because I don't overthink what's meant as entertainment

however, I really really disliked how whiny the daughter character became; I can understand it when she was a teen and had really close relationship with dad, but at thirtysomething - lady, grow some balls - your dad went away on the most important mission of the human race and you're still bitching and holding a grudge like a shallow self-centered child. I just thought it was very petty.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was trying to do too much with ideas and theories that are complicated, but had to fit into a movie and be explained to the general public.  Hard to pull off.
View Quote

Its not like they had to explain string theory or anything. For the most part I felt like they just let the images do the explaining. Sure, they had to briefly explain time dilation, but that was kind of an important hinge to the story. it wasnt a difficult movie to follow at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Me too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really liked it

Me too.

Same here.
Saw it at the theatre and bought it on iTunes.

Makes me think.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I know they "RE-RELEASED" the movie for one day in IMAX, with "SCENES ADDED"......

Did this make it into the DVD release??
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

however, I really really disliked how whiny the daughter character became; I can understand it when she was a teen and had really close relationship with dad, but at thirtysomething - lady, grow some balls - your dad went away on the most important mission of the human race and you're still bitching and holding a grudge like a shallow self-centered child. I just thought it was very petty.
View Quote

She thought he left her on Earth to die when Michael Caine told her that "Plan A" was a sham.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought a specific deal with black holes is their gravity is so great that not even light escapes.  I'd say that's slightly different than the average star.

Yeah but with those same time dilation effects the human race would be stuck in this giga-slow development relative to the rest of the universe (except for other species who chose a black hole as their home star).  Would the side of the planet closer to the black hole experience an even greater time dilation effect than the "shadow" side?  Did that planet have a rotation so as the planet rotates the side facing the black hole slows down and over the course of each "day" different time zones speed up and slow down in time?  Not to mention the whole thing about jacked up gravitational effects on everything.  Does your weight vary depending on which side of the planet you are on?

Which would suggest a less than hospitable climate for agriculture.

The whole method of selecting a new planet struck me as akin to throwing darts at the wall while blindfolded and seeing what you hit.  Sub-orbital satellites or atmospheric drones or some other method of exploring the planets would make way more sense than just dropping a dude off at a random spot and hoping for the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
a planet next to a black hole is no different than a planet next to a star.  if our sun collapsed into a black hole tomorrow, it would do absolutely nothing to the earth's orbit--same mass, same gravitational effects.
I thought a specific deal with black holes is their gravity is so great that not even light escapes.  I'd say that's slightly different than the average star.

the relativistic effects of orbiting the first planet would dilate time so badly that everyone on earth would be dead anyway.
Yeah but with those same time dilation effects the human race would be stuck in this giga-slow development relative to the rest of the universe (except for other species who chose a black hole as their home star).  Would the side of the planet closer to the black hole experience an even greater time dilation effect than the "shadow" side?  Did that planet have a rotation so as the planet rotates the side facing the black hole slows down and over the course of each "day" different time zones speed up and slow down in time?  Not to mention the whole thing about jacked up gravitational effects on everything.  Does your weight vary depending on which side of the planet you are on?

the second one, the surface of the planet was obscured by solid, frozen clouds.
Which would suggest a less than hospitable climate for agriculture.

The whole method of selecting a new planet struck me as akin to throwing darts at the wall while blindfolded and seeing what you hit.  Sub-orbital satellites or atmospheric drones or some other method of exploring the planets would make way more sense than just dropping a dude off at a random spot and hoping for the best.

there are others here who can explain the mechanism better, but the key point to remember is that gravity is proportional to mass--it is mass that causes gravity.  so two objects of the same mass are going to have exert the same gravitational pull.  so the sun holds the earth in its orbit (they orbit each other, but that's irrelevant here).  but the sun is really big, right?  now crush all of that mass down into a baseball-sized object--same mass, but much, much denser.  the earth's orbit wouldn't change at all, right?  since it's the same amount of mass, it's the same gravitational pull.

what's different is when you get so close to the singularity (point of infinitely compressed mass), that you would be inside the sun's former surface.  the radius of the sun--from surface to center--was 700,000km before it collapsed.  once you got closer to the singularity than that, gravity would start behaving differently.  think of being in a hole with really, really steep sides.  the closer you get to the singularity, the steeper the sides get.  the event horizon is where the sides become so steep that nothing can escape.  with our sun, the radius of the event horizon would be ~3km.  see the difference?

as for orbiting, time slows down with gravity.  remember when they said that every hour on the first planet was 7 years on earth?  in order to orbit the planet, they would have to get even closer to the black hole, meaning that the time difference gets even more extreme.  when anne hathaway suggests orbiting, cooper points out that it would take hundreds of earth-years, and everyone back home would already be dead.

i agree that it was a dartboard strategy, but again, they talked about this.  they only had limited fuel, and were under tremendous time pressure.  i wanted to see more comms attempts, but it was a movie, and i was willing to suspend disbelief.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now, about the movie ... What really bridged the gap and struck me at the core was his relationship with his daughter.  I think that pulled me into the movie more than anything else, and I really liked the "anything else" stuff, too.

The movie requires a suspension of disbelief for some of the more allegorical aspects, like where the craft breaks apart while entering the black hole - as this looked like an overt reference to Einstein's postulation of what happens to a lone astronaut falling into a black hole.  I liked the neo-baroque score by Zimmer, too, which also had some nods to 2001.

View Quote

TOTALLY AGREE.  THE FATHER/DAUGHTER STORY WAS THE CORE OF THE MOVIE, AND WAS BEAUTIFULLY EXECUTED.  I hate CHILD ACTORS IN SERIOUS MOVIES, BUT I THOUGHT THE LITTLE GIRL DID A BRILLIANT JOB.

LIKE I SAID, I THOUGHT EVERY PART OF THE MOVIE WAS GOOD, BUT IT DIDN'T QUITE COME TOGETHER--THE INGREDIENTS WERE THERE, BUT FOR ME, THE CAKE DIDN'T RISE.  GOOD MOVIE, BUT NOT ON THE LEVEL OF 'INCEPTION'.

this fulfills my capitalization quota for the month of april.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I enjoyed it quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
a planet next to a black hole is no different than a planet next to a star.  if our sun collapsed into a black hole tomorrow, it would do absolutely nothing to the earth's orbit--same mass, same gravitational effects.

as for not orbiting, the writers went to great lengths to establish why they didn't.  the relativistic effects of orbiting the first planet would dilate time so badly that everyone on earth would be dead anyway.  the second one, the surface of the planet was obscured by solid, frozen clouds.

it's not like they didn't spend extensive screen time explaining these things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the decisions to save the human race were just stupid.  Spoilers below if you still need to warn of spoilers 6 months after a movie comes out.

"Hey guys let's consider a planet next to a black hole. What could go wrong with that idea?"

"We have no idea what any of these planets are like so rather than doing a few laps in orbit and observing we're just going to drop someone on a random spot and hope for the best."

as for not orbiting, the writers went to great lengths to establish why they didn't.  the relativistic effects of orbiting the first planet would dilate time so badly that everyone on earth would be dead anyway.  the second one, the surface of the planet was obscured by solid, frozen clouds.

it's not like they didn't spend extensive screen time explaining these things.
he's referring to the people who were landed there and that this expedition was sent to find.  The first planet should have never been landed on by the first or second expedition... it should have been obvious from a long long way's off what was happening on that planet.

I have all sorts of problems with the science in the movie... how they get orbital mechanics all wrong and must have super powerful almost magical ships to pull off the maneuvers shown...

But the plot was good ... if a bit corny.  Ann Hathaway's lines just fell flat for me.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Just watch Ken Burns The Dust Bowl
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I watched it and didn't realize how long it was. I guess I got lost in the movie. I enjoyed it.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Interstellar was hands down my favorite sci-fi movie, ever. It had everything ive ever wanted in a sci-fi flick; apocalyptic mood, black holes, wormholes, Matt Damon dying like a little bitch, time travel, black holes... I mean, what more could you want? Hell, even the musical score was appropriate.

Thanks OP for reminding me to Redbox it.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

She thought he left her on Earth to die when Michael Caine told her that "Plan A" was a sham.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a while and maybe I'm mis-remembering some things, but, she never communicated with him for all those years, until her birthday came at which time they would have been in same age if dad had returned. So she seemed (to me) deeply resentful before she found out about the sham.

Second, what did she expect? Did she think her father went away to save himself and left her to die? Did she think her dad could have put her in his pocket for a joy ride into a black hole? She wasn't the only one facing certain death, that was the inescapable fate of every man and woman and child left on earth, including watching her nephew cough himself into early grave, and all she could think about was "my dad wasn't there for my 35th birthday?" ... for being portrayed early on as a brilliant and inquisitive mind, she just turned into an emotionally sick wreck for no good reason; I just couldn't stand her character
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#18]
It was OK, not great, but OK, worth watching.

Felt like they were trying too hard to make it somewhat of an homage to 2001.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't consider it even close to the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time but it was enjoyable.
I like space flicks like Sunshine and Interstellar was much better in almost every way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top