User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A machine set up for men only makes no sense since besides the pelvis, there's few if any anatomical variations in internal organs. Even such a machine being ABLE to be set up for men only is ridiculous and silly since no researcher would ever think about such nonsense. But you have valid points. The machine was never intended for use by the crew but only for Weyland. But I don't think the men only scene was due to this. I think it was put there just for the cheap suspense it adds.

Oh - I totally see what you are saying now.  That IS a good point.  There'd be no real medical reason to have a setting "for men" on a medical device.  I didn't realize you were making a MEDICAL point, and I bow to your superior expertise.  

By the way - is that Bender in your avatar?

LOL yeah it is
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A machine set up for men only makes no sense since besides the pelvis, there's few if any anatomical variations in internal organs. Even such a machine being ABLE to be set up for men only is ridiculous and silly since no researcher would ever think about such nonsense. But you have valid points. The machine was never intended for use by the crew but only for Weyland. But I don't think the men only scene was due to this. I think it was put there just for the cheap suspense it adds.

Oh - I totally see what you are saying now.  That IS a good point.  There'd be no real medical reason to have a setting "for men" on a medical device.  I didn't realize you were making a MEDICAL point, and I bow to your superior expertise.  

There are excellent surgery robots such as Da Vinci, they're used a lot here in high level centers. The robots are particularly "proficient" in urologic surgery for example. It's one area there's considerable variation among men and women. Still there aren't different robots for men and women. Although admittedly the present robots aren't THAT automated. If they were 100% automated, there would simply be software variations and not whole billion dollar machines.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would you think she was?

She seemed a little too perfect, more like David than the rest of the crew.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL yeah it is

Awesome!!  

Now that is my favorite robot - although I would NOT want him performing surgery on me.  

You would want it if you were a girder. I AM BENDER PLEASE INSERT GIRDER
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I generally liked it and will likely buy it, but it didn't live up to the hype

taking off their helmets was stupid. granted none of them got infected due to it but from an in character perspective it was foolish
ahh, the cliche of trying to outrun a tall but fairly narrow falling object instead of running to the side
the space jockeys have identical DNA as humans? didn't like that. it should have been very similar but slightly off

I actually liked that the xenomorph didn't look quite like what we're used to. First it had a different host and second the base organism it came from was also different from what we're used to. Different research teams working on their own separate bio weapons programs maybe?

I also wonder if David was following more than just Peter's orders. Why would Peter want the crew infected with some unknown substance prior to him being awakened and taken to the space jockeys? Or maybe, as some have suggested with Ash, Peter's orders conflicted with some base behavioral controls and made David lose it

It was stupid.  I can see the one scientist doing it briefly just so he could claim to be the first to breathe an alien atmosphere.  But no way everyone follows.  But this is one area where art takes precedence.  No director is going to want to shoot a movie where everyone's face is obscured by a helmet.  Capturing the facial expressions of the actors is a key part of making a compelling movie.  

although in this case the helmets didn't really hide anything

but at least that wasn't how they got infected
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

taking off their helmets was stupid. granted none of them got infected due to it but from an in character perspective it was foolish
ahh, the cliche of trying to outrun a tall but fairly narrow falling object instead of running to the side
the space jockeys have identical DNA as humans? didn't like that. it should have been very similar but slightly off

I actually liked that the xenomorph didn't look quite like what we're used to. First it had a different host and second the base organism it came from was also different from what we're used to. Different research teams working on their own separate bio weapons programs maybe?

I also wonder if David was following more than just Peter's orders. Why would Peter want the crew infected with some unknown substance prior to him being awakened and taken to the space jockeys? Or maybe, as some have suggested with Ash, Peter's orders conflicted with some base behavioral controls and made David lose it

It was stupid.  I can see the one scientist doing it briefly just so he could claim to be the first to breathe an alien atmosphere.  But no way everyone follows.  But this is one area where art takes precedence.  No director is going to want to shoot a movie where everyone's face is obscured by a helmet.  Capturing the facial expressions of the actors is a key part of making a compelling movie.  

although in this case the helmets didn't really hide anything

but at least that wasn't how they got infected

Not to mention the fact that Alien managed to be compelling with helmets on.  Or that if you get good enough actors for the role, facial expressions are not as important as many think.

I mean, I don't like V for Vendetta, but I will say that Hugo Weaving's performance was amazing and compelling in the movie, despite his face never being seen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The surgery machine was specifically for the old man.

Thats still monumentally stupid.

I get that you don't like the movie, but do you really find that part so hard to believe?

It's supposed to be some super-rare, ridiculously expensive machine, pretty much unavailable to anyone (except a mega-billionaire industrialist with strong tied to the government).

Do you really think Weyland going to bring such a super-rare piece of equipment - obviously for the express purpose of reviving his old carcass in case something goes wrong during stasis or when he is woken up - but then say "hey, but anytime anyone of my employees gets a cold or breaks a bone or something, feel free to use my super-exclusive incredibly ra re machine, just like the communal hot-tub at a cheap motel?"  Come on.  That's like suggesting that it's unrealistic for Bill Gates to NOT let his cleaning lady use his private jet whenever she feels like it.  

I agree there was a lot of piss-poor writing, plot holes as big as Madonna's vagina, and atrocious character development.  But I don't think the machine being set up for men was one of them.

Heck, for all we know, it's super-easy to switch it over to women - you just have to know which "settings" sub-menu to access, to switch the default.  The fact that some archeologist didn't know how to operate a super-complicated state-of-the-art piece of medical technology is not necessarily a problem with the writing.  I don't know how to operate an MRI machine, even though I'm sure it's pretty obvious and straightforward to an MRI tech.  

I think it's pretty dumb, especially once the old man was frozen and his daughter decided she was going along for the ride.  At that point she might have a vested interest in making sure that the Magical Surgery Machine had the Female Medical Procedures upgrade. Don't you think it's kind of odd that the MSM is in her quarters and yet she can't use it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw the move on Monday at a 3-D I-Max.

That was absolutely the best 3-D I have ever seen.  Great improvement over Avatar as an example.

The movie was visually stunning.

The story is what it is.  It is the story of a rich man using his wealth to achieve immortality or trying to find out the secrets of creation and it not working out very well.

I hope this is not the only movie in the series because the story line is ripe for further exploration and a direct connection to the original Aliens.

I would have written the story differently but I am not a Hollywood writer and it was not my risk money in the project.  Regardless of what I would have liked to have seen differently the movie was still very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet it worked very well in the original ALIEN.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree there was a lot of piss-poor writing, plot holes as big as Madonna's vagina, and atrocious character development.  But I don't think the machine being set up for men was one of them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet it worked very well in the original ALIEN.

Also capturing over the top facial expressions, shaky cameras, loud sounds which serve no purpose, microsecond takes etc are what passes for making a compelling movie these days but it's making a shitty and cookie cutter movie at best.

I'd take ONE SINGLE LONG TAKE out of any Tarkovsky movie over all the shit movies hollywood these days seem to shit out in a year.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also capturing over the top facial expressions, shaky cameras, loud sounds which serve no purpose, microsecond takes etc are what passes for making a compelling movie these days but it's making a shitty and cookie cutter movie at best.

I'd take ONE SINGLE LONG TAKE out of any Tarkovsky movie over all the shit movies hollywood these days seem to shit out in a year.

I really hope the shaky camera trend dies quickly.  The microsecond takes as well.  They are both giving me headaches.  Commercials and trailers with microsecond takes are getting especially bad.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really hope the shaky camera trend dies quickly.  The microsecond takes as well.  They are both giving me headaches.  Commercials and trailers with microsecond takes are getting especially bad.

We had a member here give me the because I said shaky cameras were mostly shoddy moviemaking. He didn't explain the reasons behind the but his username had moviemaker or some such in it so he must have been an expert.

Yes, there ARE times a shaky camera can be meaningful, but if you're shaking the camera during a full half of the movie because you can't give the feeling of suspense and thrill to the people watching your movie by other means, you're a shit film maker.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

What do you expect from a species that hasn't figured out how to install safety sensors on their automatic doors yet.

More nit-picking:

"Hey Jerry, I just noticed that the fancy super-expensive automatic surgery machine is, get this, only able to work on men!"

"So?"

"Uh, aren't there gonna be women on this expedition?"

"Dunno.  Maybe.  Chicks don't get injured though, do they?"

"Pretty sure they do.  We should maybe get this thing's software upgraded or something."

"Sounds expensive, I dunno.  I mean, if one of the women gets hurt, can't the guys just make more of them?"

"Your dad never had "the talk" with you, did he?"

"What talk?"

"Nevermind.  Let's just upgrade this thing so it can work on women."

"I don't think so.  Too expensive."

"Well, could we maybe, oh, I don't know, save some money by not shipping a frigging bicycle and a metric ton of booze to space?  And maybe have a medical support system that can work on both sexes instead?"

"I'll run it by corporate, but I'm pretty sure the booze and the bicycle are priority items."

"Man, I hate this place."

The surgery machine was specifically for the old man.

Thats still monumentally stupid.

I get that you don't like the movie, but do you really find that part so hard to believe?

It's supposed to be some super-rare, ridiculously expensive machine, pretty much unavailable to anyone (except a mega-billionaire industrialist with strong tied to the government).

Do you really think Weyland going to bring such a super-rare piece of equipment - obviously for the express purpose of reviving his old carcass in case something goes wrong during stasis or when he is woken up - but then say "hey, but anytime anyone of my employees gets a cold or breaks a bone or something, feel free to use my super-exclusive incredibly ra re machine, just like the communal hot-tub at a cheap motel?"  Come on.  That's like suggesting that it's unrealistic for Bill Gates to NOT let his cleaning lady use his private jet whenever she feels like it.  

Heck, for all we know, it's super-easy to switch it over to women - you just have to know which "settings" sub-menu to access, to switch the default.  The fact that some archeologist didn't know how to operate a super-complicated state-of-the-art piece of medical technology is not necessarily a problem with the writing.  I don't know how to operate an MRI machine, even though I'm sure it's pretty obvious and straightforward to an MRI tech.  

I like the suggestion that the machine could be reconfigured in a sub-menu, but that Shaw wasn't aware.  Makes sense to me.

My question is, wouldn't a machine that intelligent have to have some mechanism to realize that Shaw wasn't a man?  I would think there would be a lot of alarms and 'Are you sure?' overrides required to do what she did.

ETA- the idea that Vickers was an android makes even more sense considering the medical machine as well.  That revelation to Shaw should have been our first clue or even confirmation that something is up- Vickers is not who she appears to be, and someone else- an important male -is onboard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Great movie. Loved it.

As far as the comments here are concerned, things are going exactly like I thought they would:

Lots of people buttmad because this didn't turn out to be Aliens 2.5 with the colonial marines killing everything in sight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#19]
This movie leaves a lot of unanswered questions and is much more than shoot'em up monster flick.
One question that also occured to me, how do the Predators fit in with this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great movie. Loved it.

As far as the comments here are concerned, things are going exactly like I thought they would:

Lots of people buttmad because this didn't turn out to be Aliens 2.5 with the colonial marines killing everything in sight.

No. Lots of people "buttmad" because it was a fucking awful movie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie. Loved it.

For me, I think the important point is that when we ignore the people that thought it was incredibly insightful and deep AND the people that thought it was the worst movie since "Surf Nazis Must Die" - then it turns out that most people in the middle thought that it was visually stunning, but acknowledge that the writing was poor in places, there were some plot holes, and the character development was pretty bad.

That's pretty much what I think about the movie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I realized that myself seriously, I'll STFU about it.

ETA: I was expecting to think that it was shit hot, I didn't like it. Some people did like it, more power to them, this isn't worth arguing as much as I whined about it last few days.

Jeezus, you had the right idea 5 pages and 5 days ago.  Take your own advice and STFU already.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realized that myself seriously, I'll STFU about it.

ETA: I was expecting to think that it was shit hot, I didn't like it. Some people did like it, more power to them, this isn't worth arguing as much as I whined about it last few days.

Jeezus, you had the right idea 5 pages and 5 days ago.  Take your own advise and STFU already.

Pound sand old timer, I'm keeping it within the CoC and actually having a conversation with people.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie. Loved it.

For me, I think the important point is that when we ignore the people that thought it was incredibly insightful and deep AND the people that thought it was the worst movie since "Surf Nazis Must Die" - then it turns out that most people in the middle thought that it was visually stunning, but acknowledge that the writing was poor in places, there were some plot holes, and the character development was pretty bad.

So you're saying that it's a hair better than Avatar?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm far from "buttmad"... I'm more "spleenconfused" about certain creative choices.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got back from seeing it in imax 3d.
It was exactly what I had hoped for....after waiting about 2 years (since it was first announced, and following it daily since then )

The engineer sacrificed himself to create humans in the beginning.

The worm things were actually the little meal worm looking things, that were on the floor, that the explorers were stepping on, after getting soaked in the black stuff coming from the jars....
They had nothing to do with the alien or facehugger, etc.  Just a "transformed" organism..the result of the black stuff in the jars.

The thing that came out of Shaw was a pre-form of the facehugger which "impregnated" the engineer.  The engineer then gave birth to an "engineer's form" of the alien. Similar to how the cow/dog birthed the alien in Alien 3.  They showed that an alien doesn't need to begin as a chestburster in Alien 3..so it seems that Ridley liked this idea.

I'm pretty sure they are on LV426.....the storm looked very similar to to the storm the nostromo landed in in Alien.  Then when David said there are MANY ships buried on the planet....it was intended to mean that in another ship an engineer was sitting in the pilot's chair with a whole in his chest....we just didnt see that ship.

They were NOT on LV426... they were on a different planet. I thought the movie was good keeping in mind the anticipation for one or more sequels to fill in all the cracks and questions.
If this were a stand alone "not making any more of them EVAH", I'd be pissed and say the movie sucked ass. There will be more, so I'm OK with not being told anymore at this point.

I will point out that the engineer ship in the beginning was a SAUCER shaped ship, and the ship on the LV-whatever was a donut with a bite taken out of it (3/4 torus) shape. Evolution
of tech/ships over millions of years, or different faction/society of aliens???

I also found it odd that the engineers would want to start life then destroy it later... why? I'm sure over the course of millions of years, the engineers could/would change their policy
or MO, but was there another reason (other than the IMDB Jesus angle)? Was it just some massive terra-forming plan? Why would they want to destroy the terra-formed planet? The black
goo-bio weapon stuff seems like it would mutate/destroy anything living, not just humans. Maybe the "faction" thing is the best explanation at this point... there are "creator" engineers,
and "destroyer" engineers.... maybe there was a war and the destroyers lost to the creators and that's why all the destroyer engineers in the base were dead, and other engineers never
wiped out earth in the 2000 years since the base went tits up.

Speaking of the ships... they were definately setup for war, as there were several scenes showing the ship's "magazine" bays full of the cylinders of bio-weapon stacked
like artillery shells.

Just random thoughts.... I'll probably buy the directors cut of the Blu-Ray to study down the road.

-ZA
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie. Loved it.

So you're saying that it's a hair better than Avatar?

I dunno - I couldn't get more than about 30 minutes into Avatar.  It was so awful that I stopped watching.  Honestly one of the only movies in my life I have not finished.

The only real difference between your description of Prometheus and the truth of Avatar is that instead of, "writing that was poor in places," it would say, "pathetic writing" for Avatar.  Avatar has some of the most overly contrived plotlines I've ever witnessed in a movie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I was curious as to what the android said to the Engineer that made him go off on him.............was he pissed that he had been awakened? Kinda funny that he got his ass kicked by a squid though  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got back from seeing it in imax 3d.
It was exactly what I had hoped for....after waiting about 2 years (since it was first announced, and following it daily since then )

The engineer sacrificed himself to create humans in the beginning.

The worm things were actually the little meal worm looking things, that were on the floor, that the explorers were stepping on, after getting soaked in the black stuff coming from the jars....
They had nothing to do with the alien or facehugger, etc.  Just a "transformed" organism..the result of the black stuff in the jars.

The thing that came out of Shaw was a pre-form of the facehugger which "impregnated" the engineer.  The engineer then gave birth to an "engineer's form" of the alien. Similar to how the cow/dog birthed the alien in Alien 3.  They showed that an alien doesn't need to begin as a chestburster in Alien 3..so it seems that Ridley liked this idea.

I'm pretty sure they are on LV426.....the storm looked very similar to to the storm the nostromo landed in in Alien.  Then when David said there are MANY ships buried on the planet....it was intended to mean that in another ship an engineer was sitting in the pilot's chair with a whole in his chest....we just didnt see that ship.

They were NOT on LV426... they were on a different planet. I thought the movie was good keeping in mind the anticipation for one or more sequels to fill in all the cracks and questions.
If this were a stand alone "not making any more of them EVAH", I'd be pissed and say the movie sucked ass. There will be more, so I'm OK with not being told anymore at this point.

I will point out that the engineer ship in the beginning was a SAUCER shaped ship, and the ship on the LV-whatever was a donut with a bite taken out of it (3/4 torus) shape. Evolution

I also found it odd that the engineers would want to start life then destroy it later... why? I'm sure over the course of millions of years, the engineers could/would change their policy
or MO, but was there another reason (other than the IMDB Jesus angle)? Was it just some massive terra-forming plan? Why would they want to destroy the terra-formed planet? The black
goo-bio weapon stuff seems like it would mutate/destroy anything living, not just humans. Maybe the "faction" thing is the best explanation at this point... there are "creator" engineers,
and "destroyer" engineers.... maybe there was a war and the destroyers lost to the creators and that's why all the destroyer engineers in the base were dead, and other engineers never

Speaking of the ships... they were definately setup for war, as there were several scenes showing the ship's "magazine" bays full of the cylinders of bio-weapon stacked
like artillery shells.

Just random thoughts.... I'll probably buy the directors cut of the Blu-Ray to study down the road.

-ZA

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was curious as to what the android said to the Engineer that made him go off on him.............was he pissed that he had been awakened? Kinda funny that he got his ass kicked by a squid though  

I asked the same question earlier in the thread... as there were no subtitles I wonder if David even said something legible to the Engineer. Through the whole movie David stays silent on if he can actually read any of the markings or competently speak their language.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

like artillery shells.

-ZA

If one was to read the Sumerian myth info I posted back on page 4, it would answer these questions.

EDIT : Re-posting.

To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. Ill just use Sumerian since its the oldest. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)
Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

Even though the humans were created and did the work, 1/3 of the Igigi still werent satisfied and sought revenge for Geshtu, so they rebelled again against the Annunaki Lords and began breeding/mixing with the human females creating Nephelim. This is what sparked the Prime Lord Enlil to flood the earth. Some humans were saved by Enki, the Lord responsible for the sacrifice of Geshtu and the creation of humans. Enlil and the rest of the annunaki decide to return home and let the humans develop on their own. Enki and his family stay behind. The Igigi are forced to leave earth as well. The remaining rebel Igigi are imprisoned on a planet on the way back to the homeworld and it is said as punishment and as a mark they are altered into a demonic appearance, no longer retaining the Angelic appearance.

Enki and his crew are probably the ones leaving the maps for humans to find, along with the ones helping humans advance throughout time.

The sacrfice engineer is Geshtu

The lone engineer is most likely Marduk or a servant/worshipper of Marduk.

The xeno is Mushussu, a creature Marduk fashioned and used as his pet.

The "Engineers" we see are trying to destroy Earth are of the Igigi rebels who view earth as their own. They have always despised humans because the Annunaki saw us as more in their likeness than them. ITs possible that the Igigi have long since destroyed or taken over the annunaki and the homeworld, and Earth was like going to claim the prize or spoils.

They mustve used to the Xeno's to win this war and through its perfection it has began to destroy and infect the Igigi who manufacture and transport it, creating more Mushussu.

the xeno in Alien is most likely an older pilot igigi birthed Mushussu egg crossed with human or a future Annunaki birthed one which would explain the size difference in hosts.

It is mentioned in several lesser stories that Marduk created the Mushussu out of using the essence of the Gods' (Annunaki) he killed as a symbol of his conquering and being able to control them... ie the mural.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Saw it; I thought it was visually stunning, but the story left me wanting much more.  Maybe that was the intent.

Having said that, I'd like to pose a question for anyone who may have any thoughts on the matter.

What was with the Lawrence of Arabia references?  That just happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can't figure out how it relates to this story.  Was it simply a plot device to give David some depth?  Was it an homage by Scott (or Lindelof) sort of like the Steve Stills references?

Although I have a liberal arts degree, I never took any art classes, so all that deep meaning and symbolism crap is pretty much lost on me.  Anyone care to try to explain it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What was with the Lawrence of Arabia references?  That just happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can't figure out how it relates to this story.  Was it simply a plot device to give David some depth?  Was it an homage by Scott (or Lindelof) sort of like the Steve Stills references?

I think it was to show David has feelings, since he has a favourite movie.  May help to explain why David chose Holloway in particular to infect, since Holloway was a dick to David all the time

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Seems like a stretch..... Im going with the baby jesus angle.

ZA

Quoted:
Quoted:

like artillery shells.

-ZA

If one was to read the Sumerian myth info I posted back on page 4, it would answer these questions.

EDIT : Re-posting.

To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. Ill just use Sumerian since its the oldest. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)
Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

Even though the humans were created and did the work, 1/3 of the Igigi still werent satisfied and sought revenge for Geshtu, so they rebelled again against the Annunaki Lords and began breeding/mixing with the human females creating Nephelim. This is what sparked the Prime Lord Enlil to flood the earth. Some humans were saved by Enki, the Lord responsible for the sacrifice of Geshtu and the creation of humans. Enlil and the rest of the annunaki decide to return home and let the humans develop on their own. Enki and his family stay behind. The Igigi are forced to leave earth as well. The remaining rebel Igigi are imprisoned on a planet on the way back to the homeworld and it is said as punishment and as a mark they are altered into a demonic appearance, no longer retaining the Angelic appearance.

Enki and his crew are probably the ones leaving the maps for humans to find, along with the ones helping humans advance throughout time.

The sacrfice engineer is Geshtu

The lone engineer is most likely Marduk or a servant/worshipper of Marduk.

The xeno is Mushussu, a creature Marduk fashioned and used as his pet.

The "Engineers" we see are trying to destroy Earth are of the Igigi rebels who view earth as their own. They have always despised humans because the Annunaki saw us as more in their likeness than them. ITs possible that the Igigi have long since destroyed or taken over the annunaki and the homeworld, and Earth was like going to claim the prize or spoils.

They mustve used to the Xeno's to win this war and through its perfection it has began to destroy and infect the Igigi who manufacture and transport it, creating more Mushussu.

the xeno in Alien is most likely an older pilot igigi birthed Mushussu egg crossed with human or a future Annunaki birthed one which would explain the size difference in hosts.

It is mentioned in several lesser stories that Marduk created the Mushussu out of using the essence of the Gods' (Annunaki) he killed as a symbol of his conquering and being able to control them... ie the mural.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Saw it; I thought it was visually stunning, but the story left me wanting much more.  Maybe that was the intent.

Having said that, I'd like to pose a question for anyone who may have any thoughts on the matter.

Although I have a liberal arts degree, I never took any art classes, so all that deep meaning and symbolism crap is pretty much lost on me.  Anyone care to try to explain it?

IMHO, Weyland admired T.E. Lawrence and designed David to resemble him. David probably watched to film to learn about what had inspired Weyland to create him so.

David as he appeared in Prometheus.

T.E. Lawrence

Also in the TED talks viral video, Weyland tells an anecdote involving T.E. Lawrence to make a point.http://www.weylandindustries.com/tedtalk

When everyone is asleep David was watching the scene in Lawrence of Arabia that Weyland alluded to in the TED talks video where Lawrence snuffs out the match with his fingers.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#38]
VERY late to the thread, just got back from it. The 3-D was incredibly well done, I thought.

I do not understand the geologist sitting spider-like outside the hatch. He seemed to only suffer acid to the helmet. What made him a super powered monster?

How could they be on a planet other than LV-426 if Shaw stated that there was one planet with one moon? That's the target planet, and although labeled LV-233 there were no other celestial bodies that were referenced.

ETA: LV-223, my error. And I suppose the fluid made the geologist that way, thank you for the answer, mp0117! But if the engineers only seeded Earth, and never returned, how did the other civilizations have the star map?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seems like a stretch..... Im going with the baby jesus angle.

ZA

Sadly, if that is how the sequel comes out, I wouldn't be surprised.......
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
VERY late to the thread, just got back from it. The 3-D was incredibly well done, I thought.

I do not understand the geologist sitting spider-like outside the hatch. He seemed to only suffer acid to the helmet. What made him a super powered monster?

How could they be on a planet other than LV-426 if Shaw stated that there was one planet with one moon? That's the target planet, and although labeled LV-233 there were no other celestial bodies that were referenced.

It didn't make any sense to me either.

When he fell face down in the black ooze he was mutated by it. I think the idea is that the black ooze is a mutation agent that turns life into monsters, etc.

The worms in the dirt of the "temple" get covered in the ooze, then mutate into the "snake" creature that killed the biologist.

At least that's what I think.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"Hey, remember how we were just trying to get Dr. Shaw sedated and into stasis 'cause of her being pregnant with some alien thing?  And she whacked me on the head and ran away?"

"Yeah."

"Well, shouldn't we, I dunno, maybe go get her again?"

"Nah, she went into the surgery machine and cut it out."

"Uh.  OK.  Where's the thing?"

"In the medical bay."

"Should we maybe check it out?  Maybe at least get the surgery machine available again?"

"Why do you care, it ain't programmed to work on women anyway."

"Well, should we at least check out Dr. Shaw?  I mean, maybe she's gonna bleed to death, or maybe she didn't get all of the thing out of her.  Maybe we still need to freeze her."

"Nah, I'm sure everything's fine.  Just drop it already.  Sheesh."

"It's just that it all seemed like a pretty big deal, you know, getting her impregnated and then freezing her for transport back to Earth.  Not the sort of thing that we would suddenly just kinda forget about, you know?"

"Just leave me alone."

NO KIDDING!!!!

I kept waiting for them to burst into the room and try to yank her out of that machine.

They never even showed up.

WTF?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey, remember how we were just trying to get Dr. Shaw sedated and into stasis 'cause of her being pregnant with some alien thing? And she whacked me on the head and ran away?"

"Yeah."

snip..
Not only that but roll five minutes later.

Dr. Shaw all bloody and recuperating after having a squid pulled out of her...the ship's captain comes into her room and talk about some logical stuff mind you (bio weapons depot etc.) and she is able to hold a deep conversation.

I would think that after just she fought off the medical team then you just had an alien squid pulled out of you and are a bloody mess you would be a little shaken up...maybe thats me though.

And 30 minutes later she is running around like a BOSS after having every muscle in her stomach severed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#43]
1. The engineer we see at the beginning is a sacrifice, the variable in an experiment on a barren Earth. His DNA results in a VERY long experiment concerning the creation of life. The catastrophe on LV-223 prevented the continual monitoring and termination of the experiment. When David identifies himself to the awakened engineer as having come from Earth, that, coupled with the behavior exhibited (the security guard butt-stroking a smaller female) tells the engineer it's time to terminate the experiment as a horrible failure.

2. The engineer we see at the beginning is a criminal of some sort, left on a barren planet with nothing but the clothes on his back and an easy out provided by the black substance, should he decide to commit suicide. Again, his death sparks life, and the eventual reveal to the awakened engineer by David horrifies him, knowing from what human life sprang. This results in the termination of the team and makes Earth a target.

3. David let a psychopathic giant alien out of stasis. He'd been placed there by his confederates for transport back home for treatment or sentencing, then the catastrophe happened and everyone died while he was left there. Just a nut who was inadvertently released.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, Weyland admired T.E. Lawrence and designed David to resemble him. David probably watched to film to learn about what had inspired Weyland to create him so.

David as he appeared in Prometheus.
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/MP0117/images-5.jpg

T.E. Lawrence
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/MP0117/images-1-1.jpg

Also in the TED talks viral video, Weyland tells an anecdote involving T.E. Lawrence to make a point.http://www.weylandindustries.com/tedtalk

When everyone is asleep David was watching the scene in Lawrence of Arabia that Weyland alluded to in the TED talks video where Lawrence snuffs out the match with his fingers.

All of this.  David is attempting to understand himself and Weyland by studying and imitating Lawrence as portrayed in the film.

I'm still a fan of the idea of making a sidequal to Prometheus featuring David acting out all of Lawrence of Arabia by himself in that two year run in deep space...  
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Hey, remember how we were just trying to get Dr. Shaw sedated and into stasis 'cause of her being pregnant with some alien thing? And she whacked me on the head and ran away?"

"Yeah."

snip..
Not only that but roll five minutes later.

Dr. Shaw all bloody and recuperating after having a squid pulled out of her...the ship's captain comes into her room and talk about some logical stuff mind you (bio weapons depot etc.) and she is able to hold a deep conversation.

I would think that after just she fought off the medical team then you just had an alien squid pulled out of you and are a bloody mess you would be a little shaken up...maybe thats me though.

And 30 minutes later she is running around like a BOSS after having every muscle in her stomach severed.

But drippity majik juice from the squid embryo had dripped on the incision area when it was extracted. Same stuff that allowed the squidly oral raping monster generator to grow so fast healed her wounds quickly. The staple injector laser repair medical pod helped some though.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it was to show David has feelings, since he has a favourite movie.  May help to explain why David chose Holloway in particular to infect, since Holloway was a dick to David all the time

I took a slightly different angle to the David/Holloway relationship.  

David specifically asked Holloway what he would do to achieve his goal (understanding the purpose of the Engineers) and Holloway replied, "Anything and everything."

Only after that reply did David move to infect Holloway, which implied (to me anyway) that David perceived consent, something that would fit in with his programming to 'serve' his human masters.

It also fit in with the recklessness of the people in the movie, rushing in to these situations that were so blatantly dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#47]

I saw it earlier today, in 3D. It's definitely the best 3D that I have experienced so far, though I still had funny eyes for a while afterward.

I enjoyed it. It didn't quite live up to the hype (my own, to be fair) from the trailers, but I thought it was good. I would see it again, and if the director's cut Blu-Ray does indeed add anything significant, then I will definitely buy it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

David specifically asked Holloway what he would do to achieve his goal (understanding the purpose of the Engineers) and Holloway replied, "Anything and everything."

Only after that reply did David move to infect Holloway, which implied (to me anyway) that David perceived consent, something that would fit in with his programming to 'serve' his human masters.

It also fit in with the recklessness of the people in the movie, rushing in to these situations that were so blatantly dangerous.

Interdasting. Makes sense.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Saw this Thurs night and it kicked some serious ass!!!!

After reading this thread, I want to see it again!

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the same impression.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top