BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
this Pandora is pretty friggin cool
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I defined 10-12 Pandora stations.  Works good if you have WiFi at home or are sitting somewhere where it is accessible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so how do i set those Larue pics as my backgorund? and yes it will get jail broken eventually

Browse to that page on your iPhone, touch and hold your finger on the picture.  it will ask if you want to save it.  Save the picture.  Now go to your Photos app, find the picture, click the little 'send' button on the bottom left and choose to set it as your background.  

I believe it will stay your background even if you delete the picture from your Photos.  

On topic, a few apps I like and find useful:
The Weather Channel (much better than the stock weather app)
Facebook
PhoneFlix (manage your NetFlix queue from the phone)
ShopShop (for making shopping lists.  I suck at shopping... I will forget shit if I don't have a list)
Take Me To My Car (set a GPS waypoint, probably good for when you're in an unfamiliar city)

I'm also curious about the BlueTooth stuff.  I knew from the first gen phone I bought a week after release that it was software that limited functionality.  To this day, it only supports the Headset profile.  It needs to support Serial and A2DP.  I'd also like to see MMS function with the iPhone.  Kinda silly that a multimedia device can't accept multimedia messages!  

All in all, I love my 3G iPhone.

Just installed and started up Pandora.  First 'station' I created set me up with a pretty great sounding track.  Gonna have to try this out for a few days, since I listen to music on my iPhone a lot at work lately.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Radiolicious is a good program. Co-written by a friend of mine. Brings in your local stations and some internet based ones also.

Free!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Random question, there is a new iphone software update out. I jailbroke my phone and was wondering if I could install the update without it screwing up anything. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Random question, there is a new iphone software update out. I jailbroke my phone and was wondering if I could install the update without it screwing up anything. Thanks.

I haven't heard any confirmation about there being a new QuickPwn yet. Do a little googling and if there is a version for 2.2.1 then I see no problem with it. You will have to reinstall all your shit though. Make sure you back up first.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd also like to see MMS function with the iPhone.  Kinda silly that a multimedia device can't accept multimedia messages!  

Jailbreak it, and install SwirlyMMS.  Buy it.  It's 8 bucks.  It works great.

I don't need it bad enough to pay $8 for it.  It should have been functional from the start, however, it's a minor issue to me.  

Quoted:

Every update from Apple has reverted the phone back to original.  You will have to jailbreak again.  You should wait until the jailbreaking methods are verified with the new firmware until you update to the new firmware.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
any idea on that fact that my itunes wont recognize it? i also have my ipod synced to it if thats makes a difference
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I jailbroke mine this evening thanks to this thread. I have the 2g and I did the update thru itunes the other day. I had no problem with the jailbreak. Changing themes is awsome and having video now made it all worth it. I don't understand half of whats available but I am having fun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Will these apps work on the ipod touch also ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Will these apps work on the ipod touch also ?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't heard any confirmation about there being a new QuickPwn yet. Do a little googling and if there is a version for 2.2.1 then I see no problem with it. You will have to reinstall all your shit though. Make sure you back up first.

Quickpwn has a version for the 2.2.1 firmware.  I have 2.2.1 on my phone and the process was exactly the same as 2.1 and above.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Intelliscreen appears to be the best app for the iPhone but you have to jailbreak it to install it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Jailbreak question - you have a 3G Iphone running 2.2.1 and you do not want to unlock it (I have an AT&T account) - the only reason I want to jailbreak it is to install apps.  I install pwnage and download the 2.2.1 firmware that does not unlock the iPhone.  Will it wipe out all my apps, contacts, etc when I use the pwnage program to restore the 2.2.1 non-unlock firmware to the iPhone?
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#17]
If you just want to jailbreak get quickpwn instead.  No, it will not wipe out anything.

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you just want to jailbreak get quickpwn instead.  No, it will not wipe out anything.

This is what I did on my 2G and it works like a charm. There is so much crap in Cydia it is crazy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Trapster. It's for speeders!
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Jailbreak question - you have a 3G Iphone running 2.2.1 and you do not want to unlock it (I have an AT&T account) - the only reason I want to jailbreak it is to install apps.  I install pwnage and download the 2.2.1 firmware that does not unlock the iPhone.  Will it wipe out all my apps, contacts, etc when I use the pwnage program to restore the 2.2.1 non-unlock firmware to the iPhone?

it shouldn't wipe out anything, but there is a chance that your phone could lock or not take the software right, causing you to have to do a restore in itunes.

it is advisable that you back your shit up before tinkering.

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I jailbroke my phone yesterday afternoon. Use the hackmyphone.com tutorial and you can't fuck it up.

1. Update your phone to 2.2.1 firmware and back up your phone.

2. Download Quickpwn 2.2.5

3. Run Quickpwn 2.2.5

4. Follow the directions

5. Browse Cydia and enjoy the 100 fold increase in functionality you get with a jailbroken phone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I did on my 2G and it works like a charm. There is so much crap in Cydia it is crazy.

It gets better, there are websites like xsellize.com that you can join that have members only repos with tons more themes, tweaks and hacks.

Hunt around and find repos you can add to cydia.  

Some are just for passing out cracked apps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay... jailbreaking your iPhone is like discovering crack for the first time.

Thank God, I didn't have anything important to do tonight. This is an absolutely monstrous time-killer.

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Definitely - Ballistic - it does cost a little, but it's a pretty full featured ballistic calculator( http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=814457 )

Shot Timer - Free App, by Surefire

Other Apps I like and actually use:

Restaurants - Free App detailing calories menus of lots and lots of fast food and then some, I like this as I try to eat helathy, but have to eat on the run most of the time.

Google - Free, has a voice search available instead of typing, nice.  ALso accesses your gmail and other stuff if you don't want the regular mail getting it.

Shazam - Awesome Free App.  Hear a song on the radio and you wonder what is that.  Well launch this puppy, it listens for a few seconds, and a few seconds later it tells you what it is.  It's friggin amazing, I can't believe how accurate it is.

The Weather Channel - Fee App, WORLDS better than the little weather app that comes with the iphone.

Whitepages - Free App, you guessed it, white pages

iWant - Free App, great for traveling, uses your gps location to find pretty much whatever category of stuff you might need: movies, restaurants, banks, gas, etc, etc, etc,

i.TV - Free App, lets you access your cable or Sat network's tv guide, also can access and manage your Netflix account and que

Units - Free units converter, I tend to use this a lot,

Sportacular - Free App for following all the latest scores and whatnot.  Allows you to setup your favorite teams so you can access their scores, schedule and record faster.  love it!

Flashlight - Free App, just turns the whole screen white, or another color if you want, for quick use as a flashlight.  This can be used as a mini softbox for photo taking, lol.  It's true, The Strobist even did an article on doing this not long ago.

Ecco Note Lite - Free voice recorder for notes, instead of the Note App that comes with the phone that you have to type the notes.

Translator - free language translator

Midomi - free app, does basically what Shazam does, but you type in some of the song's words and it tries to dermine what song.

Pandora - free online radio app

I have a lot more apps, but this is a start....plus I didn't list any games.  As you can see, I like mostly FREE apps, lol.  There are only a few apps I've actually paid for, Ballistic and PhotoCalc are the only two so far...call me cheap

I have all the RED ones and I also have a Jailbroke phone, went to iPhone Dev team to get it done, really quick and they support the most recent software too, I have my dog as the background on my phone and on my lock screen, as well as an invisible lock bar, and no dock you can really tweak it a lot. There is also a program called PDA Net that is a a tethering program that you can direct link your phone using the data cable or use wifi to tether so you can use your phone as a modem essentially, and if you are on 3G it is pretty fast.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have my dog as the background on my phone and on my lock screen, as well as an invisible lock bar, and no dock you can really tweak it a lot.

I've talked to a lot of folks now that have done this.

What's the benefit? And, how do you access the items you used to have in your dock?

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I put an iRack on mine.  A little unstable but you can sure put a lot of stuff in the iRack!

Edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]
i am doing the 2.2.1 jailbreak now. will report back once i've abused it a bit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i am doing the 2.2.1 jailbreak now. will report back once i've abused it a bit.

Works good.  Installed Intelliscreen shortly thereafter

http://www.intelliborn.com/products.html

Link Posted: 2/13/2009 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I just don't "get" the point of jailbreaking, for my purposes anyway.

The phone has tons of functionality right out of the box

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I just don't "get" the point of jailbreaking, for my purposes anyway.

The phone has tons of functionality right out of the box

Yeah, in the same boat, I guess I just don't understand all the benefits of jailbreaking??  The only thing that I have picked up on is that you can turn your phone into a wireless 3G modem for your laptop.  That is cool, but there must be more???

It is worth it just for cycorder, but there are other reason.

http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone/
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had MMS capabilities on other phones for, oh, 5 years or so.

MMS sent: zero
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
i'm happy with the 2.2.1 update. phone seems a bit more stable.

jailbreaking this version was no different than any of the previous.

that xsellize repo is awesome. lots of free stuff on there that would ordinarily cost

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

that xsellize repo is awesome. lots of free stuff on there that would ordinarily cost

Until the 2.2.1 update Arfcom would crash my iphone after a little while, now I can surf all night without issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until the 2.2.1 update Arfcom would crash my iphone after a little while, now I can surf all night without issue.

That's good to hear.

Mine was doing that as well, and it was becoming more than a little annoying.

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I just added the logo

Anyone have a suggested list of apps?

i.TV - Free App, lets you access your cable or Sat network's tv guide, also can access and manage your Netflix account and que

Another great app for checking TV schedules is What's On? - works better and quicker than my local cable company's guide.

Just added the logo too - sweet.  

Off to find the Larue pics.

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had my Iphone 3G for a month now.  Love it!  Not sure how I got along without it.

It's a portable Internet/Email terminal that just happens to have a phone is the way I look at it.  I rarely use the Ipod feature.

Couple more good free apps I haven't seen mentioned yet:

TouchTerm (ssh client, great if you have to do on call...)
Tank  - cool tank game.
Kitco: Great if you like tracking the Precious Metals market
Full Browser:  More screen space than Safari, but doesn't have book marks, yet.

I wish it had a more full featured GPS app with auto-rerouting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've had my Iphone 3G for a month now.  Love it!  Not sure how I got along without it.

It's a portable Internet/Email terminal that just happens to have a phone is the way I look at it.  I rarely use the Ipod feature.

Couple more good free apps I haven't seen mentioned yet:

TouchTerm (ssh client, great if you have to do on call...)

Tank  - cool tank game.

Kitco: Great if you like tracking the Precious Metals market

Full Browser:  More screen space than Safari, but doesn't have book marks, yet.

I wish it had a more full featured GPS app with auto-rerouting.

Xgps available on Cydia if you jailbreak.

the turn by turn is not out yet, but coming in a future update.

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Alright I guess I'm an idiot. I'm trying to do this "jailbreak". I'm using Quickpwn but I keep getting an error message when I run the installer. It goes something like this......

The IPSW file you selected (iPhone1,2_2.2.1) does not match the firmware version for your device (iPhone1,2_2.2). Please note that QuickPwn does not upgrade your firmware, it only jailbreaks whatever firmware you currently have on your device.

I don't see any firmware to match on the website. I'm I doing it wrong or what. HELP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Alright I guess I'm an idiot. I'm trying to do this "jailbreak". I'm using Quickpwn but I keep getting an error message when I run the installer. It goes something like this......

The IPSW file you selected (iPhone1,2_2.2.1) does not match the firmware version for your device (iPhone1,2_2.2). Please note that QuickPwn does not upgrade your firmware, it only jailbreaks whatever firmware you currently have on your device.

I don't see any firmware to match on the website. I'm I doing it wrong or what. HELP.

What firmware do you have on your phone?

Go to Settings>General>about and tell me your version

I see that you still have the 2.2 firmware.  Try this one
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Knight's Armament Company have an app. Here it is: www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/index.html

You can even measure angles with the BulletFlight app on you iphone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm still an idiot. Now I get "Firmware Error String"

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm still an idiot. Now I get "Firmware Error String"

The only thing that would cause that is if you aren't set up for the correct firmware version.  http://www.monster-iphone.com/iphone-downloads/how-to-jailbreak-firmware-22-on-the-ipod-touchiphone-for-windowsmac
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Checking for more suggestions on apps!
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Checking for more suggestions on apps!

House FM - good Christian radio station
Concert Vault - recordings of hundreds of classic concerts going back to the 70's
USA Forces - essential for .mil folks
SeismicXML - watch the world earthquake situation
RepairPal - check if you are getting conned at the garage
MotionX GPS tool - many GPS functions (rate of travel, waypoints, etc)
Yellowpages/Whitepages - Whitepages is very powerful, can do a reverse lookup on SOME cell numbers
Newsstand - goes out to news sources with RSS feeds and grabs articles.  Fully customizable (Foxnews, Jerusalem Post, BBC News, etc)
Yelp/Earthcomber/Where To?/Urbanspoon - business finders
To Do's - personal checklist
Shopshop - shopping list
The Weather Channel - much better than the default weather app
Jailbreak it and open a WHOLE world of other tools - a trip navigator GPS (xGPS), Intelliscreen - see a lot of info on the screen when its locked, Caller ID spoof/Voice changing software - themes - many many tools obtainable via Cydia - however I do not recommend this approach until you become very familiar with how it works
Snaptell - take a picture of any book, cd, or DVD and obtain reviews, prices, etc
Shazam - can identify music after hearing a few notes
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top