Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2014 4:21:47 AM EDT
Let's say you get an even million dollars.  Obviously, you have to initally deposit the check at the bank and they are NOT going to give you cash.

So where do you move the money so it can't be stolen by the government like happened in Cyprus?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]
quality guns, ammo, gold, real estate
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Diversity.

Stocks, bonds, income real estate. A little cash and PM' s at home in a secure safe.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The price of Hookers and Blow have gone up since Obamacare.
Remember that when you set up your trust.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy land
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy gold,  When the SHTF and its worthless as money, you can throw it at people. Its very heavy and dense.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
A million dollars ain't shit....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay, 10 million then.  Same question.  Where do you keep your fortune?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Pay off all your debts.

2. Pre-pay as many expenses as you can.

3. Buy some land in the countryside.

4. Open a brokerage account and invest in a basket of blue-chip, dividend-paying stocks.

5. Take a trip around the world with your significant other.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd spend the million on more land and keep living like I do now. 10 million I have no idea, I forget who posted the "so you just won the lottery" thread here but it sounded like excellent advice.

I suppose I'd start by paying off any debts, which in my case isn't much, I have a 10k truck loan and 2 low limit credit cards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Diversity.

Stocks, bonds, income real estate. A little cash and PM' s at home in a secure safe.
View Quote

If you can't touch it, you don't own it.

Land and PM's along with appreciating physical assets.

Stocks and bonds might make you money, but you don't actually own it till you cash it out. till then, it's all vapor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!...........
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Diversity.

View Quote

This is what I would do. Also, I would ask for it all upfront instead of installments that depreciate over time due to inflation. Get it all at once and make your move while the money is at its maximum value.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't remember the link here but here is a thread started buy a member here that was a lawyer or wealth manager with some GREAT advice.

ETA First post in this thread...http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/828009_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
With $1M I would pay off my 2 houses and buy a bigger 3rd on on the lake and a new wakeboard boat to go with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

4. Open a brokerage account and invest in a basket of blue-chip, dividend-paying stocks.

View Quote
Tag because the letter says I already won.

1 and 3 done.  2,4 & 5 need to be worked on.

Also looking at some waterfront, I like to fish as well as hunt and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#16]
ammo. weapons, MRE's
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Pork bellies and coffee beans
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
They can take your land, see Rhodesia.  They can take your gold, see FDR.  They can take your money, see post WWII Germany.  They cannot take your knowledge.  But they can burn books.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This!...........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This!...........
quality guns, ammo, Food stores , real estate   more real estate,,, and a good group of 3 Gunners,,, I mean friends,,

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Bury it, show no wealth on paper...

Spend the money on an identity change and don't tell any body you won.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Diversify my investment.  9mm, 5.56, 762, 300blk, etc

But no in reality? 1M is too little in the scheme of things.  I'd put money aside for full tuition for kids including first car.  The remaining I'd split up into several bank accounts that are protected with respectable returns.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bury it, show no wealth on paper...

Spend the money on an identity change and don't tell any body you won.
View Quote

All that work for 1m?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But no in reality? 1M is too little in the scheme of things.  I'd put money aside for full tuition for kids including first car.  The remaining I'd split up into several bank accounts that are protected with respectable returns.

View Quote

No such thing
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They can take your land, see Rhodesia.  They can take your gold, see FDR.  They can take your money, see post WWII Germany.  They cannot take your knowledge.  But they can burn books.
View Quote

Excellent points all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They could kill you.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what I would do. Also, I would ask for it all upfront instead of installments that depreciate over time due to inflation. Get it all at once and make your move while the money is at its maximum value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diversity.

They'll only give you half as a cash value payout
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They could kill you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They could kill you.  
You should know when they are planning to kill you and make yourself scarce.  Or invisible.  Knowledge is power.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:10:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Gold, Silver, land, and tax free municipal bonds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No such thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing

Ummm I have one
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#32]
1. read Austrian's post again
2. invest in globally diversified tangible assets
3. move to a town where no one know my name
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diversity.

"A bird in the hand ...." Those payoffs for 25 or 30 years are essentially a government promise. And as this country turns more and more to the collectivist dark side, it is easy to envision a tax that targets such "winnings".
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pfffft.... Okay.

I could turn a million into more, and darn near retire rtf now if I had a million.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Step one, get the F out of NY or Cal if therein.
Step two, ????
Step three, ????
Step four, profit!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Get into politics. Money buys elections.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#37]
The very first thing to do is move to a more defensible and very discreet location, in an area far from the savages/gangs/zombies/whatever.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I would want a nice house on a piece of property in the middle of the hills or mountains with a water well and some animals to eat if needed. Of course some cash, gold, ammo, etc too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This!...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!...........

This, plus keep some as cash investments ( maybe 20 - 30% or so).    Enough that an anticipated 5% growth will pay for the taxes and maintenance on the land

I have a close friend going thru a medical end of life process.  He has come to realize that his sizable collection of guns are not going to bring him anywhere near the return on investment he thought they would.    That being said, I would only buy the guns I felt I really needed to have for self protection.    Not as investments.   But make no mistake, I would be very well protected.

Limit the gold to no more than 10% of your estate.  Gold does not generate wealth.   It is a hedge against inflation.   Unless they start mining more.    Look at the performance of gold over the last 18 months.      unpredictable.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:16:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Spend it.  They can't take what you already spent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Land, Precious Metals, Foreign/Domestic Currency (Euro and Dollars are a good start), Guns, Ammo, Stocks/Bonds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Lead, copper and brass and something to put it in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#44]
A million is not that much money - no real reason to go off hiding.  My hometown has a population of under 1000 - but thanks to the eagleford boom, we probably will have several hundred people winning that 1mill lotto.  At the end of the day - about the biggest thing I am seeing is fences are getting fixed and houses are being re-leveled.  Couple new homes here and there - but there are not enough contractors to build them any faster.  New barns are showing up - probably to hide fishing boats or RV's (both of which were quite common before - most people were too cheep for any other type of vacations).
My million - so far have paid off RV, credit cards, student loans, house, and got a jon boat.  Will keep a few hundred k in the market.  If I find the free time, will get a bobcat to do some fence and brush work.  So far I have not seen my million though - maybe Q1 2015 (so what I have gotten so far has been paying off all debt - and buying a few guns that have been on the list for ages).

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Let's say you get an even million dollars.  Obviously, you have to initally deposit the check at the bank and they are NOT going to give you cash.

So where do you move the money so it can't be stolen by the government like happened in Cyprus?
View Quote

Short of putting all your money into Bitcoins and then placing them in a brain wallet, there is literally no such thing as "can't be stolen".  A government that can raid your bank account can also come knock down your door and take your gold or seize your land.

You're objective is wrong.  The key then is not to avoid all risk, but to diversify so that getting hit in any one area doesn't sink you.

Cash, Stocks, Bonds, Gold, Land...do all of it if you are that worried about loss.  You can also diversify within a single asset class.  There is nothing that says you can't keep stocks and bonds with several different institutions.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't pay off all my debts. Find something better to put the money in and keep some debt at sub 5% interest rates.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Diversity.

View Quote

+1.
Real estate would be harder to seize than cash in CD's and such, especially if it was your primary. Might be time to buy yourself some property on the edge on town to shoot. 20 years later when the town expands, sell for a profit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

depending on your lifestyle and location, 1mil is a pretty good chunk of change if invested correctly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#49]
1. Farm land (actual working farm with irrigation)
2. Rental Home(s)
3. Mutual Funds
4. Cash
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
quality guns, ammo, Food stores , real estate   more real estate,,, and a good group of 3 Gunners,,, I mean friends,,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!...........

This except gold. What the fuck are you going to do with gold when everyones broke?

Equip and train a team.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top