Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time to review my installed updates.
View Quote

If people do this enough, the gov is going to blackmail microsoft into creating a virus that affects people who don't install the spying updates.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Companies acting deliberately against their own interests, and even trying to hide it from consumers, shows they are being coerced by the government. Microsoft execs are no doubt under a gag order. Same with GM putting cameras in their new cars.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as gaming is still Windows-centric, Windows will be unavoidable.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't like the idea of being data mined, don't care enough to change my habits. For those that say Linux is best because it is open source, care to explain why no one caught the heartbleed bug? Hell even Truecrypt never fully had its code reviewed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't like the idea of being data mined, don't care enough to change my habits. For those that say Linux is best because it is open source, care to explain why no one caught the heartbleed bug? Hell even Truecrypt never fully had its code reviewed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhhh Heartbleed WAS discovered and fixed.  Open Source doesn't guarantee zero bugs (nor does it claim to do so).  

And Truecrypt did have a code audit performed, and nothing seriously wrong was discovered.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Uhhh Heartbleed WAS discovered and fixed.  Open Source doesn't guarantee zero bugs (nor does it claim to do so).  

And Truecrypt did have a code audit performed, and nothing seriously wrong was discovered.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long until heartbleed was found was my question. Often people just think because something is open source its fine, but with code that's millions of lines long, its pretty hard to find malicious stuff that's purposely hidden.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not installed those updates on my older Windows 7 laptop. My newer Dell is dual boot, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04. I only use Windows for Office, all my surfing is done on Linux.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you have done a Windows Update in the last couple of months you probably have the patches already installed.  Search by KB number and use the release date to help you find the patch to uninstall them.  Here are the patch numbers as referenced in the OP's article.

KB3068708 (released  06/18/2015 )Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3022345  Realeased June 2, 2015    (replaced by KB3068708) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3075249 ( released 25-Jun-2015)    Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3080149 (released 23-Jul-2015)  Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does one uninstall these updates ore even know if they've been installed already?

Not overly computer savvy, just know enough to be dangerous

Goto control panel under security and windows update and you can see a list of installed updates, and then uninstall them, I had one of the 4 installed earlier this month. You can also turn off automagic updates here too.

Which ones specifically? They all look similar but with different numbers after them

Some are security Others just say Windows Update & a hotfix is in there too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Et2ss/updates_zpsuqh3vcg5.jpg

If you have done a Windows Update in the last couple of months you probably have the patches already installed.  Search by KB number and use the release date to help you find the patch to uninstall them.  Here are the patch numbers as referenced in the OP's article.

KB3068708 (released  06/18/2015 )Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3022345  Realeased June 2, 2015    (replaced by KB3068708) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3075249 ( released 25-Jun-2015)    Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 – This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3080149 (released 23-Jul-2015)  Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

Thanks! I found the first two on that list. Searched and scrolled through about 5 times for the other two but they weren't there.

Thanks to you computer guys.

FMicrosoft & FBHO !!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

More and more games are available cross-platform every day via Steam.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah because gaming is the only thing Windows PCs are still used for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kind of goes both ways. The shellshock bug (a VERY serious security flaw) was present in bash since 1989. All of those eyes on the code, and nobody noticed a pretty serious problem until 2014.

But on the other hand, it was fixed (in the source code anyway) VERY quickly once discovered. Like practically immediately, which is nice.

I've long wondered how many blackhats knew about it for years, and never said shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It kind of goes both ways. The shellshock bug (a VERY serious security flaw) was present in bash since 1989. All of those eyes on the code, and nobody noticed a pretty serious problem until 2014.

But on the other hand, it was fixed (in the source code anyway) VERY quickly once discovered. Like practically immediately, which is nice.

I've long wondered how many blackhats knew about it for years, and never said shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had to guess, I bet a few more people than just blackhats knew about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah Linux gaming with Steam is where its at.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]
If any of you guys really want to geek out on this Windows 10 thing, here are a couple of links to check out.  The second one even has an uninstall script that will remove the Windows 10 upgrade and the telemetry patches.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173752-how-to-avoid-being-upgraded-to-win-10-against-your-will/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/huge-problem-with-unwanted-windows-10-download.379049/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/list-of-windows-7-telemetry-updates-to-avoid.379151/
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top