Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW:  I've done CPR 14 times.  I'm 0 for 14.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Time make stuff fade for most folks, whether war or public safety workers.

Some stuff may bother you for years, but it will slowly become less poignant.

If you don't see it fade, you need to seek help.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Definitely not suicidal. Outside of these events, I'm happier than ever.

I'm not sure whether God is testing me, or giving me a new grasp on life and death, but I am constantly reminded that the negligence of others has serious consequences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find a therapist that isn't going to ask about your gun collection.

Any decent therapist is going to probe for signs of suicidal thoughts, and not dig deeper unless he or she finds something.

I'm not sure whether God is testing me, or giving me a new grasp on life and death, but I am constantly reminded that the negligence of others has serious consequences.

Might be something you can discuss with your pastor.  Most are well trained in helping in situations like this, and some (depending on denomination) even have degrees and certifications similar to many Psychiatrists.    Just remember that God won't ever give  you more than you can handle, and may have even used the first experience to prepare you to be able to save that kids life.   Note I'm not implying that God caused the first man to drown, but may have helped you learn from and reflect on that situation to be better prepared for the 2nd.

I saw a similar thing happen a pool party a couple years ago.  I was holding my then infant daughter, and out of the corner of my eye saw a toddler (under 3 probably) reach in after a floaty and fall in.  Before I even had time to react another adult jumped into the pool cloths and all and pulled the toddler off the bottom.   Kid coughed up a bunch of water on his own, and about 5 minutes later the adult that pulled him out was definitely coming off the adrenaline dump with shakes and crying.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
grey50beast,

It might be worth contacting your nearest Fire Dept. and asking who thy use for (CISD) Critical Incident Stress Debriefing.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I own a custom furnishings business, I was a swim coach in a previous life. I think I'm a normal guy that happens to experience an unusually high amount of stressful situations.

Even creating this thread helped. I appreciate all the advice and kind words.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for your service.

I've never served and I don't mean to disparage any one's experiences.

This was a real wake up call to the horrors that our service members experience and it is something that I thought about after the fact.

Flashbacks and nightmares are real...

I'm sorry, OP, I don't know from other posts by you, and I haven't read this entire thread, but I am curious to know what you do for a living. If you are a lifeguard, or a fireman, or one of the public service professions, yes, definitely find someone to talk to about this. You will encounter these situations again. From the sound of things, you weren't even on duty this time but with friends. That alone is enough to give one pause, that what you do at work follows you home. Disquieting thoughts. I find your actions commendable and the emotions you went through and are going through are not anything to feel shame over.

I own a custom furnishings business, I was a swim coach in a previous life. I think I'm a normal guy that happens to experience an unusually high amount of stressful situations.

Even creating this thread helped. I appreciate all the advice and kind words.

All I could offer was kind words because I'm not qualified to give advice. However, on that note, I'd like to share an observation I just had from re-reading your original post, to wit: It may help you to acknowledge that your training taught you how to recognize signs of drowning and that others do not have your knowledge. The anger you feel at your perception of what appears to be a lack of caring or inattentiveness is actually ignorance. You know that someone yelling and waving their arms is not the classic true picture of someone who is in danger of drowning.in trouble in the water. Your clueless babysitter is not. Maybe reminding yourself of their limitations can help you get over the anger I see in your post and let you avoid additional PTSD incidents. Just a random thought I wanted to share with you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Look for a therapist who does trauma counseling, particularly for first responders.  

PM sent
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should probably move to the desert somewhere.
View Quote

Oddly, we have pools here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]

I feel your pain.   Was sent to a shots fired call and a woman had shot herself in her house (back bedroom).  What got to me was I was the first to arrive and was with the lady for a bit as I cleared the other rooms of the house.  Her eyes were open and I stupidly tried chest compressions and only had her blood and water flow out of the wounds and her mouth as a result.   For weeks I would see her face flash in front of me at the weirdest times (upon waking up, when talking to my wife, when I was about to go to bed).

The only way it got better for me was talking about it to my mother who is a retired sociologist and who has expertise in PTSD.    Finally....finally things got better.   But sometimes something will still trigger those memories (the morgue scene from "Collateral" is extremely close to what I saw in that house).

I pray you get help.

Quoted:
Less than a month ago I experienced a reasonably traumatic experience of failing to save a drowning man. It messed with me the first night, but I had some closure after meeting the victim's family and receiving their kind words of encouragement and appreciation for my attempts.  I haven't thought about it much, nor shed a tear.

This past weekend my GF's friend was having a pool party at her apartment for her BDay. Everyone was hanging out and drinking/eating and I was the only adult in the pool. I was swimming laps and stopped at the side of the pool to catch a breath.

When I turned around to begin another freestyle lap, a toddler with a panicked look on his face is treading water and looking up at me, and I see a body on the bottom of the pool 3.5' deep. I looked for a second not realizing what I was seeing, waiting for the other child to bounce up off the bottom of the pool.

Well that didn't happen, and I grabbed the kids arm and yanked him up out of the pool. I pumped water out of this child's chest while his eyes were almost all white. He quickly came back around and started crying. My hands were on his chest I could still feel water being sloshed around and coughed up. He was shake and shocked, but alive.

I was too angry to even confront the babysitter. My GFs friend is so nonchalant saying "Damn Jon, you are just Mr. Superman" laughing and cracking jokes not even grasping the gravity of the situation.

I silently walked away and immediately told my GF that the experience really jacked me up. I don't know how to describe it, but all of the feelings of failure from Memorial Day shot through my mind.

Later on we're hanging back at their apartment with a larger group of friends and the girl brings up the story about me giving CPR to the kid at the pool. I understand she was just trying to share the experience, but all of the room's words of praise were like whispers and I just hung my head while she happily recounted the story, until I burst out crying. I haven't cried in a long time,l et alone surrounded by a group of peers at a party, but the thought of witnessing an innocent toddler's death due to the negligence of others was more than I could bear.

Fuck I really need to go talk to someone now...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is pretty funny.  I've rescued more people in the desert than I have in the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Less than a month ago I experienced a reasonably traumatic experience of failing to save a drowning man. It messed with me the first night, but I had some closure after meeting the victim's family and receiving their kind words of encouragement and appreciation for my attempts.  I haven't thought about it much, nor shed a tear.

This past weekend my GF's friend was having a pool party at her apartment for her BDay. Everyone was hanging out and drinking/eating and I was the only adult in the pool. I was swimming laps and stopped at the side of the pool to catch a breath.

When I turned around to begin another freestyle lap, a toddler with a panicked look on his face is treading water and looking up at me, and I see a body on the bottom of the pool 3.5' deep. I looked for a second not realizing what I was seeing, waiting for the other child to bounce up off the bottom of the pool.

Well that didn't happen, and I grabbed the kids arm and yanked him up out of the pool. I pumped water out of this child's chest while his eyes were almost all white. He quickly came back around and started crying. My hands were on his chest I could still feel water being sloshed around and coughed up. He was shake and shocked, but alive.

I was too angry to even confront the babysitter. My GFs friend is so nonchalant saying "Damn Jon, you are just Mr. Superman" laughing and cracking jokes not even grasping the gravity of the situation.

I silently walked away and immediately told my GF that the experience really jacked me up. I don't know how to describe it, but all of the feelings of failure from Memorial Day shot through my mind.

Later on we're hanging back at their apartment with a larger group of friends and the girl brings up the story about me giving CPR to the kid at the pool. I understand she was just trying to share the experience, but all of the room's words of praise were like whispers and I just hung my head while she happily recounted the story, until I burst out crying. I haven't cried in a long time,l et alone surrounded by a group of peers at a party, but the thought of witnessing an innocent toddler's death due to the negligence of others was more than I could bear.

View Quote

I've read the story.

There was no failure that was your responsibility, or related to anything you did wrong, didn't do, etc.  Things happen that are beyond your control.  Short of being Michael Phelps, I don't think any human would have been able to pull off that rescue.

You however tried, and gave it your best.  Most people don't have the stomach to do anything.

It weighed on you, and maybe it will continue to do so; however it gave you the presence of mind to pay attention to what is going on around you.  And somehow the universe conspired to put you in the right place at the right time *again*.  The previous experience may be what gave you that mindset, and may be the reason that child is alive right now.  A situational impossibility is not the same as a failure to act.  

This time you were in a position to make the save, and your life experience, including the previous incident, all factor into that.

I've got two lives to my credit so far.  I'd have a few more if I had superhuman abilities.  I'm not superhuman, and neither are you.  But I, just like you, gave it everything I had.  The worst one personally was a girl who jumped off a balcony right in front of me, yet she survived with a busted ankle.  For some reason, that bothers me more than the people I've seen not make it; but again, I tried my best, did everything I could, and a sticky sliding glass patio door was what made the difference, so I've come to accept it.

You have nothing to blame yourself for, so stop that shit now.  If you need to talk about it with someone who has a legit save and a legit loss and damn near everything in between.... PM me and I'll send you my phone number.  We can chat it out if nothing else so you know you're not alone.

Cheers for having the courage to act.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No shrink, here, but....

The man you "failed" to save had a zero chance of survival.  You actually gave a damn about another human being and did your best to save him.  That is no failure.

As to the toddler...take this into consideration.  Your previous "failure" made you more aware at the pool when you SAVED the little one AND you obviously gave more of a shit about that baby than it's guardian.  You sheepdogged the situation like a champ.  My hat is off you in both situations.

A similar situation happened to me once in a CPR attempt. Later found out the fellow's heart was a goner and was going to die regardless of my attempts to save him.
View Quote

Not to be overly fatalistic but I see one of the outcomes of the first tragedy as the OP  feeling very vigilant around bodies of water. Which meant that when the child needed help, OP was watching for something to happen (even if only subconsciously). I'll bet after the first incident OP racked his brain thinking about anything he could have done different to save the drowning man and change the outcome (normal reaction that we all have around a tragedy). So when that kid was drowning OP knew what to do because he had been thinking about what to do before it even happened. Some people might look at that situation and say that the OP was meant to be in that particular place at that particular time, with that recent experience so he would change the outcome.

But whatever way you look at OP has nothing to feel bad about. And having a bit of an emotional breakdown after averting a major tragedy is very understandable. You are alright in my book grey50beast.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no doubts there are members here that can help you that have been through terrible things. Myself included. PM me if needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

None of this really any kind of abnormal response to stress.  Some people cover with humor, some act all casual about it, others panic.  And crying with the sudden release of the tension some time later is not unusual at all.

PTSD can strike out of nowhere.  One moment everything is perfectly normal.  The next, you are affected.  You sometimes don't even know what triggered it.  And it isn't always the same.  Sometimes it is just a little sadness or regret.  Sometimes it is a deep depression.  Sometimes it is a near panic attack, or a sudden paranoia.  Sometimes a feeling of failure. Others, a sudden insecurity. Or quickness to anger.

Watching someone drown, and a child almost drown, are traumatic events.  You absolutely should talk to someone, even if you feel like they weren't traumatic for you.

The biggest thing is being honest with yourself about your emotions and working to discover the source when you suddenly find yourself feeling "off" or "out of sorts".
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That is pretty funny.  I've rescued more people in the desert than I have in the ocean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a wizard?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most people who need cpr end up dying.  CPR is a last ditch attempt, not that you shouldn't try. You and OP both done good.

One weird thing I have noticed about emergency situations is that even when confronted by an obvious emergency an awful lot of people don't seem to understand that it's time to act unless someone tells them to.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shrink, here, but....

The man you "failed" to save had a zero chance of survival.  You actually gave a damn about another human being and did your best to save him.  That is no failure.

As to the toddler...take this into consideration.  Your previous "failure" made you more aware at the pool when you SAVED the little one AND you obviously gave more of a shit about that baby than it's guardian.  You sheepdogged the situation like a champ.  My hat is off you in both situations.

A similar situation happened to me once in a CPR attempt. Later found out the fellow's heart was a goner and was going to die regardless of my attempts to save him.

Most people who need cpr end up dying.  CPR is a last ditch attempt, not that you shouldn't try. You and OP both done good.

One weird thing I have noticed about emergency situations is that even when confronted by an obvious emergency an awful lot of people don't seem to understand that it's time to act unless someone tells them to.  

Fight, flight or freeze.  Only about 10% of the population springs in to action.  

OP, I missed your other post, but like a lot of others here, have skeletons on my closet from EMS.  We all cope differently, but if you think you need someone, then do it!  

Hell, pm one of us to talk if you need someone more immediate.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]
You should have unloaded on the babysitter instead of keeping it all inside. That dumb bitch should have been the one crying.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have many comments for someone who either... can't tell the difference between Trigglypuff and a man who's currently 1-1 with Death, saving the people around him... or needs to play "who's got the bigger CAB" with every person who's dealt with bad situations.  But that's neither here nor there.

OP, the good news is that traumatic responses are like broken bones- if you never touch it, it'll still hurt for freakin ever.  But if you go to a good doc and get it set right, it'll take a few weeks or months to get better and you'll be good to go... except when you get that weird ache in your bones sometimes.  But heck, that's just how old injuries work.

Traumatic responses are just like any other injury, acknowledge you're not invincible (physically OR mentally) and make sure you get it treated ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any decent therapist is going to probe for signs of suicidal thoughts, and not dig deeper unless he or she finds something.

So are most people who are BP.

Yoyu been through some tough expediences the blast few months. Talk with someone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing wrong with crying.

Sometimes people die and you can't do shit about it, doesn't matter who you are. Some people are just going to die. It will get better with time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I fought going to see a counselor for a long time over something unrelated.  

Do it.  Its worth it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Great job OP.  You're just human, expect emotions. And you don't need a shrink, you have us.
Are you a religious man? Go see a man of the cloth to discuss.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This was a real wake up call to the horrors that our service members experience and it is something that I thought about after the fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it fucks with you.

I was holding my fathers hand when he took his last breath (cancer), I tended my grandparents when they both passed. It's... difficult to remember at times.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#25]
God, or Fate, or Whatever, gave you the opportunity to save this one.  

I don't know if there is some Grand Plan for each of us, but there are certainly some weird patterns and coincidences in life.   Enough that it sometimes feels like more than pure random chance.    

You are reacting to the realization that your actions, successes and failures, have a profound and lasting effect on those around you.   That's a pretty heavy concept.      

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't see how you kept from tearing the babysitter a new asshole.

I'm glad you were able to save the little one.

I'd say if you think you might need to talk to someone, you probably should go. I don't see what it could hurt.

And there's nothing shameful in the least for being emotional.

Please don't beat yourself up for not being able to help that man.

A scene from the movie "Machinegun Preacher" (a true story) leaps to mind. This guy is over in Sudan helping to protect these village children from militia who come and kidnap them to be fighters. He's running around at night trying to gather them into his house. His friend is begging him to just go in and lock the door saying , " You can't save them all".

And he grabs up a few more in his arms and says, "No, but I can save these".

Damn. Choked me up just typing that. It was a very powerful scene made more so to me because my friend went there a couple years ago to try to help and the stories he told made my skin crawl.

I hope you get what you need, OP.

You saved that kid.
View Quote

Reminds me in a way of Schindlers list, when he's figuring out how many more people he could save by selling his car, ring, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
So maybe the first person's drowning had some kind of a purpose after all, which was to lead you to react fast and save that second kid's life.

If you hadn't witnessed the first drowning, that kid at the bottom of the pool might not be alive today.

Sometime the silver lining is hard to find, but it's there.

Congrats and hang in there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
TL;DR
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TL;DR
View Quote

Nice post...  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes you should. No advice for you but good luck. You did the right thing both times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you should. No advice for you but good luck. You did the right thing both times.

Agreed on all fronts.

grey50beast you saved a child's life when others were useless. Hold your head up high.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are a hero, never forget that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ummm... was that sarcasm?   Because that's a really nasty comment if so... and completely unnecessary.

WTF?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm... was that sarcasm?   Because that's a really nasty comment if so... and completely unnecessary.

WTF?  

Sometimes a Cigar, is just a Cigar.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#34]
OP,  glad you saved the kid.   The issues you are having now are well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have PTSD.  What you're going through is normal.  You do need to go talk to somebody professional.  Your feelings are perfectly normal and rational for someone who has gone through what you have.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#36]
OP,

I don't have a magic answer but I know the feeling.  I remember how shocking the first real world casualty was in Iraq and how badly he was in pain and how inadequate my IFAK seemed in comparison to his wounds.  We worked on him for what seemed like forever while vehicles tried to get through checkpoints to get him to the hospital.  He didn't survive.  I  felt a lot like you describe after it was over.  The next casualty was easier and yet kinda not.  He smelled like Pine Sol because a bottle of it got hit next to him.  Pine Sol still reminds me of him.  

It never really goes away but it isn't bad either.  Frankly, I got faster at processing the situation and triage once I had seen a few serious injuries.  I was able to function faster and better afterwards.  

I know Grossman isn't well liked on here and even I don't totally agree with him but you should read On Combat and On killing.  Not for the gunfighting parts, but because he does a good job at explaining how the brain processes traumatic events and how you can deal with it and grow through it.

The key is growing through it.  It happened.  It can't be undone.  You can grow stronger or you can grow weaker.  You will never stay the same.  Choose to embrace it, learn what you can learn, and release what you couldn't prevent.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm not sure if you are religious, but if you are, speak to a priest. They have the time, and can help guide you. Also I am not overly religious. If I were I would be ashamed of my lifestyle and my past. But I do believe that God has a plan and places "angels" in our lives. Whether you were that child's angel or not that day, you did a good thing and should be appreciated for it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...and our drowning stats are BAD!!!!  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#39]
It will subside somewhat as time goes on but you'll think about it often. Find a good therapist. Also, sometimes life brings you through the same type of ordeal twice as a way to help get through it be experiencing a different outcome. Try to avoid SSRIs/anti-depressants as well as alcohol if you can help it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Remind me to never go swimming around you.

<snip>

View Quote

Really? Because OP is the guy I would want around when I go near the water.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a similar experience where I pulled a young girl out of Lake Michigan who was clinging to the end of a breakwater in seriously strong undertow. CFD sent the dive unit and a chopper out and finally found her friend's body a day later. I wish I could say you'll be fine, but everyone's different. You'll probably replay the incident over and over, analyzing it to try and figure out where you could have done better, but that will fade over time. I still get memories triggered when I see helicopters hovering at low altitude in place for long periods of time, but they're not as strong as they used to be.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Some men act and others watch, you acted and have nothing to be guilty about. Good luck and don't beat yourself up over things out of your control.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think your reaction was pretty reasonable considering the lack of sensitivity to the gravity of the situation that others expressed.

ETA: Had it been a guy choking on his steak at a restaurant that you saved, the light-heartedness and praise could be better understood as those sorts of things sometimes happen. This was gross fucking negligence that could've killed that little kid had the other kid not alerted you.
View Quote

I agree with this 100%. IMHO, alot of "PTSD" is simply not having naivete and callowness of those who've not seen the harsh reality of life and death.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Talk to a therapist with prescribing power. They have come leaps and bounds with meds that still allow you to function but block the neurotransmitters that trigger flashbacks. Cyclobenzaprine (flexeril the muscle relaxer) is in stage 3 human trials for PTSD treatment. And it doesn't do anything as far as chemically doping you like psych meds do. There are lots of outpatient treatment locations out there or just counseling services. And like others have said. You saved a life. You are a hero. You can't save everyone, take comfort in that God put you in that child's path that day to give them life again. To that child, you are larger than life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

God doesn't test you like that.  You saved a child, you're a hero in anyone's book.  And remember, no matter who you are, you can't save them all.  God has a plan for everyone and he put you in that pool with that child because you could save the child.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God doesn't test you like that.  You saved a child, you're a hero in anyone's book.  And remember, no matter who you are, you can't save them all.  God has a plan for everyone and he put you in that pool with that child because you could save the child.

Thanks a lot man. I spoke to one of my priests today and he had basically the same thing to say.  I am so sorry for your losses, but thank you and God bless you for trying.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

WTF?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?  

Meh, I couldn't tell.  

Whatever...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not to be overly fatalistic but I see one of the outcomes of the first tragedy as the OP  feeling very vigilant around bodies of water. Which meant that when the child needed help, OP was watching for something to happen (even if only subconsciously). I'll bet after the first incident OP racked his brain thinking about anything he could have done different to save the drowning man and change the outcome (normal reaction that we all have around a tragedy). So when that kid was drowning OP knew what to do because he had been thinking about what to do before it even happened. Some people might look at that situation and say that the OP was meant to be in that particular place at that particular time, with that recent experience so he would change the outcome.

But whatever way you look at OP has nothing to feel bad about. And having a bit of an emotional breakdown after averting a major tragedy is very understandable. You are alright in my book grey50beast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shrink, here, but....

I've began swimming harder and more laps each week. I don't know what that will do for me in the future, but I'll have a healthy heart and a strong mind for next time if there ever is one.

The time proximity messed with my head, and I understand that.  I was definitely in the right place.  One thing my priest said to me after I said that I hated being called a hero, especially when the other man drown, was that I have to accept I actually was a hero and I am one now.  I still have a slight disdain for the word, but I at least accept that I was able to make the save this time and I thank God for that.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been in 4 situations where life was on the line.  2 involved kids in a pool, one was my own, the other 2 were car accidents.   The 2 pool incidents turned out ok, the car accidents didn't.   All 4 haunt me.  I guess it's part of the deal.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP,

I don't have a magic answer but I know the feeling.  I remember how shocking the first real world casualty was in Iraq and how badly he was in pain and how inadequate my IFAK seemed in comparison to his wounds.  We worked on him for what seemed like forever while vehicles tried to get through checkpoints to get him to the hospital.  He didn't survive.  I  felt a lot like you describe after it was over.  The next casualty was easier and yet kinda not.  He smelled like Pine Sol because a bottle of it got hit next to him.  Pine Sol still reminds me of him.  

It never really goes away but it isn't bad either.  Frankly, I got faster at processing the situation and triage once I had seen a few serious injuries.  I was able to function faster and better afterwards.  

I know Grossman isn't well liked on here and even I don't totally agree with him but you should read On Combat and On killing.  Not for the gunfighting parts, but because he does a good job at explaining how the brain processes traumatic events and how you can deal with it and grow through it.

The key is growing through it.  It happened.  It can't be undone.  You can grow stronger or you can grow weaker.  You will never stay the same.  Choose to embrace it, learn what you can learn, and release what you couldn't prevent.  

YMMV
View Quote

Thank you for sharing, for your service, and for your advice.  I'm stronger now than I was when I typed the OP out.  Writing definitely provides a release, so thanks ARF brothers for lending an ear.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top