Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2017 5:35:00 PM EDT
Its the first thing I take off, along with any other dealer advertisements.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Same here, I'm not getting paid to advertise for them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My license plate frames read 'Who is John Galt?'  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
when a customers plates come in and I'm putting them on their vehicle, I always ask if they want to keep the dealer frame or want me to trash it.  I'd say 80% keep it on there
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know how to operate a screwdriver?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The simple answer is that to leave it on requires them to do nothing, and that is all most people are capable of. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
To protect the corners of the plate.

The dealer info was, of course, covered by sharpie reapplied every 3 or 4 months to ensure it was virtually undetectable and completely unreadable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
They are way, waaaaaaayyy down on the list of priorities or things I give a shit enough to actually do something about it.

Maybe one day I'll take them off, no promises though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
So I guess you rip off the rest of the badging and branding off of the vehicle as well?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The one and only vehicle I purchased new, my old Tacoma, I was so pleased with the dealership I purchased it from I gladly left the frame on there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine frame is pretty wide around the edges so it hides my out of date tag
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The simple answer is that to leave it on requires them to do nothing, and that is all most people are capable of. 
View Quote

Ding Ding Ding.

People are lazy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagged for the Arfcomer who got a ticket for an obscured plate because of a dealer plate cover.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The last truck I bought they were real hard ons over the price but we made a deal anyway. They pulled the truck up to the door when we were done and handed me the keys. I guess they were going to see me off because a few of the sales guys walked out front with me. Before I left I removed their license plate brackets and decals and such right in front of them. They stood there with their jaws dropped while I threw them in the trash and drove away. I got a nice giggle out of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cause they are too lazy to take it off
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My first mod of every new vehicle I buy, I remove it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My dealer took $500 off the price of my new car to leave it on.

ok.  No he didn't.  Most people are lazy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Remove it along with any stickers. I hate seeing them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Preferential Service like when they bring it back? Kinda like police benevolent stickers?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laziness
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]
It beats going out and buying a new frame...
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So I guess you rip off the rest of the badging and branding off of the vehicle as well?
View Quote

I do, but I prefer my vehicles clean and badging adds clutter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
It's not like new license plate covers are expensive. Ten bucks and a trip to vatozone is all it takes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too.  First thing after getting home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My license plate frames read 'Who is John Galt?'  
View Quote

Is it a legal sized license plate frame?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm a 1%er.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's a thought. Maybe they don't want to spend $20 for a new frame and don't want to spend the two minutes replacing it.

I bought my car on a Saturday and paid cash for it from a used car lot. I got a discount on the car for doing an as is no warranty sale without having the dealer register the car for me. I asked the dealer to put their frame on the car so I would have a lesser chance of being pulled over on my way home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
First thing I did was remove all the dealer crap on our new car. I took it in to get the fucking TPMS light reset, the salesman said "hey, I saw all the stickers fell off your car so I put new ones on". Ha, he was just kidding.

To answer your question, lazy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Preferential Service like when they bring it back? Kinda like police benevolent stickers?  
View Quote
I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I like my dealer. I have bought my last 2 vehicles from the same Salesperson, and plan to make my next purchase from her as well. They give me free oil scheduled changes and wash my cars any time I want. I am out on the road every day, so sometimes I stop in 2-3 times a week. Their waiting room has free coffee, water cookies, etc....They have always treated me fair, and before you say it, I own 2 Lexus RX 350's. 1 with 180K and 1 with 60K. I have never spend a dime in their service dept.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The last truck I bought they were real hard ons over the price but we made a deal anyway. They pulled the truck up to the door when we were done and handed me the keys. I guess they were going to see me off because a few of the sales guys walked out front with me. Before I left I removed their license plate brackets and decals and such right in front of them. They stood there with their jaws dropped while I threw them in the trash and drove away. I got a nice giggle out of it.
View Quote

Mine wouldn't give me a plate.  I even asked for one.  My salesman tried to get me one and another jack ass who happened to be 2nd in the month with sales told him "it had to be in the deal" so I couldn't get one.  He was just pissed I didn't buy from him.  Said okay, no free advertising for you guys then
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Locally a lady got pulled over for having a dealer's plate frame on her Florida plate.

The cop said it blocked the location of her plate.  That's funny because you can get a FL plate that names the county or opt for "In God We Trust" thereby making the county designation obsolete.

She still got a ticket.

Btw the first thing I do is take the dealer crap off the car.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I have this one
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a non-issue for 99% of buyers, probably the last thing in the world they would be worried about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tell them not to put the badging on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm gonna get slammed for this, but I like my dealer. I have bought my last 2 vehicles from the same Salesperson, and plan to make my next purchase from her as well. They give me free oil scheduled changes and wash my cars any time I want. I am out on the road every day, so sometimes I stop in 2-3 times a week. Their waiting room has free coffee, water cookies, etc....They have always treated me fair, and before you say it, I own 2 Lexus RX 350's. 1 with 180K and 1 with 60K. I have never spend a dime in their service dept.
View Quote

Big reason I buy my cars where I do is because the guys in the service department do a good job when I bring vehicles in, even those I didn't buy there.
I had a Pontiac that I'd take in to my Chevy dealer because the Pontiac Dealer's service department was awful.
And before anybody says anything about using dealer service, I generally only go in if it's free, cheaper, or time critical.
The stealership can usually get it back to me quicker than I, or the independent shop I use, can. So if I need it fixed fast, I call them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I leave it on because I don't care.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It beats going out and buying a new frame...
View Quote
Why do you need a frame?  None of my vehicles have ever had plate frames on them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I hang them on my garage wall with my other old plates,dealer tags and other plate frames.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]
The only car in my driveway that still has the plate frame is my wife's CRV. My Mustang, Silverado, Durango, and my RV have had all the dealer references removed.
I haven't felt the need to remove the plate frames from her car yet since I don't drive it, and she really likes the dealership and the way they treat their clientele.

Shit, my Travel Trailer had a sticker at the entry door, one on the front and back, a plate frame, and they removed the Keystone spare tire cover and replaced it with their dealer branded one. It took me a half hour to get all the dealer branding off of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Because taking it off would require me to give a fuck about a license plate frame.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I told the dealer to remove their sticker as well before i left the lot. They asked why, I said are you willing to give me another $5K off the car to advertise for you? No, well then remove it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I tell them not to put the badging on.
View Quote

Seriously.

Not sure why so many people are lazy OR not smart enough to just tell the dealer during the 'walk around'.

Anymore, I even tell the sales person before I walk into the contract signing that there should be no badging or plate frames from the dealership on the vehicle.

30 seconds of 'Don't put them on' in conversation is surely less effort than having to pull out a screwdriver or dental floss to debadge later on.

And I get just as much satisfaction in making them understand their 'free advertising' won't belong on my new vehicle.

E.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I am very happy how the dealership I bought my car from did not try any stupid shit and made it a very simple transaction so I keep the frame on to give them free advertising.  Told him I was not financing and what model he had on the lot that I wanted; website price was lowest I researched and even ended up somehow being $28 lower.  No attempts to upsell me, gave me more than I expected from my trade in (KBB private seller range), and pretty much made it a hassle free experience.  

Super easy and transparent offering = I have no probs giving them free ad space on my car.  Very un-GDlike, but I actually had a positive car dealer experience.  The only bad thing about Spangler Subaru is that it is in Johnstown PA.  Had to drive through mountains and valleys of the sketchiest looking trailer parks to get there.  Could almost taste the meth, opioid addiction and social security fraud in the air driving there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

Part of the deal is they remove all dealer anything off the car.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]

it's the 1st thing I do when getting home!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
If you asked them I'll bet more than half don't even know it's there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Because I don't care enough about it to remove it. Some of you are wound too tight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I worked at a dealership. The service department couldn't care less about you leaving that crap on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top