Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think in all my time in the Jeep world you are the first person who actually thinks its cheaper to do it on your own vs the few K upgrade in proce over a sport from the factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric sway bar disconnect
Axles
4.10 gears (upgrade)

Or buy a sport and do the work yourself for less.

I think in all my time in the Jeep world you are the first person who actually thinks its cheaper to do it on your own vs the few K upgrade in proce over a sport from the factory.

If you want 35+ inch tires you're changing gears anyway which means your changing rims for better offset/no rubbing. A bigger lift which you then need new front and rear bumpers because any serious lift takes into account the extra weight a 2.5" lift nets you near 5" without bumpers, winch, underbelly armor. The only thing the rubi has worth keeping is the 44 dana front.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That is true, but if you are planning to go bigger than 35" tires, you would be money ahead to get a sport and upgrade everything yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's cheaper than building up a Sport model.

A car mag broke this down once a while back (can't remember who), and this was the conclusion.

It's true. Lockers and gears (axles and Tcase) are the best and most expensive upgrade on a 4wd. My friend just bought a Power Wagon and his math had him saving around $5k over buying a stock 3/4ton and adding all of the goodies. If you don't use it off-road, it's not worth the money.

That is true, but if you are planning to go bigger than 35" tires, you would be money ahead to get a sport and upgrade everything yourself.

You might still be better off getting a Rubi since you can sell the axles for a decent price and apply that towards your build. Good luck selling the regular axles. Also, a sleeved, trussed, and gusseted front and a trussed rear, both with stronger axle shafts is far cheaper than complete axle swaps with lockers and you can do fine for a long time with 37's setup that way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Its a Jeep thing!  The 2 I currently own are my 8th and 9th.

If you aren't afflicted, you just won't understand!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been looking to buy a wrangler. Probably just get 2 door sport soft top. Looking at the prices why are they priced so high , like north of 40k for a rubicon

Its a Jeep thing!  The 2 I currently own are my 8th and 9th.

If you aren't afflicted, you just won't understand!!

I'm a few ahead of you. My '13 JKU was number 13
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You might still be better off getting a Rubi since you can sell the axles for a decent price and apply that towards your build. Good luck selling the regular axles. Also, a sleeved, trussed, and gusseted front and a trussed rear, both with stronger axle shafts is far cheaper than complete axle swaps with lockers and you can do fine for a long time with 37's setup that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A car mag broke this down once a while back (can't remember who), and this was the conclusion.

It's true. Lockers and gears (axles and Tcase) are the best and most expensive upgrade on a 4wd. My friend just bought a Power Wagon and his math had him saving around $5k over buying a stock 3/4ton and adding all of the goodies. If you don't use it off-road, it's not worth the money.

Unless your Welder doesn't do it right and now you have a warped axle
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I hate you...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paid $21,000 for my 2012 Sport back in late 2013. I bought a Rubi junk yard Dana 44 front axle for $800 and had it and the rear axle re-geared and a Eaton - Truetrac installed for $1500. $2300 bucks total.  I don't need leather, power windows and a sticker where I drive my Jeep.

I hate you...

I wanna know where he found a $800 Dana 44 out a Rubi, they are going for twice that most places. (unless it's smiling and he didn't think to check)
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the looks of modded jeeps, especially rubi's. The drive train is awesome. I just don't like the interior, or how they feel on pavement. If I lived closer to some mountain jeep trails, I'm sure I'd be on the band wagon as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wanna know where he found a $800 Dana 44 out a Rubi, they are going for twice that most places. (unless it's smiling and he didn't think to check)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paid $21,000 for my 2012 Sport back in late 2013. I bought a Rubi junk yard Dana 44 front axle for $800 and had it and the rear axle re-geared and a Eaton - Truetrac installed for $1500. $2300 bucks total.  I don't need leather, power windows and a sticker where I drive my Jeep.

I hate you...

I have seen them around that price at a local scrapper.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Different transfer case as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axles
4.10 gears (upgrade)

Stiffer suspension, rock rails, and mud tires too. Especially when you factor in a factory warranty on all that stuff, a rubicon really isn't priced out of line.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you...

When they are bent, a straight Rubi Dana 44 4.10 with brakes is a $1500 axle, I'll buy any you find for $800 pay the freight to Texas and still make money off them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You just need to say what you really mean
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a TJ or YJ, Ive never seen so many poser strokes wannabe off road douchebags driving these POS. Oversized shitboxes with a real douche community of drivers in those JKs. The typical driver has some poser black off road looking rims and a cheap ass suspension, maybe even a winch hats brand new and never used to complete the look of total pussified dick smoker. These people make me sick, dice their balls off.

You just need to say what you really mean

No sugar coating just man up and say it
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Toyota guy, but I had a lot of fun with this one:

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When they are bent, a straight Rubi Dana 44 4.10 with brakes is a $1500 axle, I'll buy any you find for $800 pay the freight to Texas and still make money off them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you...

Nope

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been looking to buy a wrangler. Probably just get 2 door sport soft top. Looking at the prices why are they priced so high , like north of 40k for a rubicon

Because they are awesome
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32270217/XlxxaUt.jpg

Awesome at getting stuck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sway bar disconnects, electric lockers, dana 44's, 4/1 low range transfer case, and different ring and pinion.  

yeah sure, just an easy cheap swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axles
4.10 gears (upgrade)

Sway bar disconnects, electric lockers, dana 44's, 4/1 low range transfer case, and different ring and pinion.  

This. The Rubicon package is actually a good deal if you intend to use it. If you're just a poser or if you have no intention of serious off road use, I can see how it looks like the sticker on the hood is a waste of $10,000.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This!  That is exactly what I paid for my Jeep in 1998.  I loved it, but there is no way I'd drop the cash for one now.....while fun, they are not worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 2010 I bought a new Wrangler Unlimited Sport (4WD, stick shift, air, manual windows & locks) for $25,000

In 1997 I bought a base 4x4 Wrangler for $14,000.

This!  That is exactly what I paid for my Jeep in 1998.  I loved it, but there is no way I'd drop the cash for one now.....while fun, they are not worth it.

Not at all....

I was talking with a car salesman I knew from the town I worked in a few years back about car selling profit and he told me that the Jeep Wrangler his by far the biggest mark up of all vehicles.

I understand that things go up in price over time, but not by that margin...

Jeeps are like the 22lr of the auto world.

What we need is competition.....

Something like the Suzuki Samurai, Land Rover Defender, or something brand new.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. The Rubicon package is actually a good deal if you intend to use it. If you're just a poser or if you have no intention of serious off road use, I can see how it looks like the sticker on the hood is a waste of $10,000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axles
4.10 gears (upgrade)

Hence why I went with a Sport instead of a Rubicon.

I plan to upgrade my Sport a bit, but I'm never going to take it places that would be more Rubicon territory.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey OP skip the Wrangler's premium price tag and just get the truck the Wrangler wants be when it grows up:

That one's mine. Bought her Wednesday!

Now I just have to wait 8-12 weeks for my EUC clears to pick it up.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because of the amount of turd polish they have to rub in
View Quote

Actually, there's something I have in my Jeep Wrangler that should really really impress you.

A semi automatic firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey OP skip the Wrangler's premium price tag and just get the truck the Wrangler wants be when it grows up:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/board/488545_6002_160_0001_zpsiczs1aa9.jpg

View Quote

I thought you couldn't drive these on the road?

Also, the wife said no.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The newer Jeeps tend to have 4 types of owners:

- Total douche flatbills with rockstar rims, a cheap 5 inch lift, lights on everything and a ton of cheap Chinese JC Whitney shit all over it.

- Soccer moms and/or mid 40s women that have no idea WTF 4x4 means nor where it is in their Jeep

- Mid 40s/50s guy that spent another 50k on accessories for it. Snorkel, custom matching everything, upgraded everything. Yet always makes sure its perfectly clean and waxed. Most likely to wear Jeep branded clothing and put huge ass 'Jeep Life' stickers on his windshield.

- An actual Jeep guy that wanted a newer model to go 4x4 in.

For the record, I have a 97 TJ I offroad heavily. A lot of custom parts but was actually yelled at by some chick in traffic earlier that "I need a car wash" because you can barely see into/out of the jeep with the mud on it. Only modification I'm waiting to do is for the engine to explode (which it probably never will) so I can put a turbo diesel in it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stiffer suspension, rock rails, and mud tires too. Especially when you factor in a factory warranty on all that stuff, a rubicon really isn't priced out of line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axles
4.10 gears (upgrade)

And lockers, front and rear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, the wife said no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/board/488545_6002_160_0001_zpsiczs1aa9.jpg

Also, the wife said no.

Well, that's what they want you to agree to when you sign the paperwork just because they don't want to be held libel with anything that happens on road.

According to my brother who's a Deputy here in Ohio it should just need to have a list of certain safety/road equipment (that it already has) and then needs to be inspected by the Ohio Highway Patrol to be titled as road legal. Here we can get plates for dune buggies and golf carts so this shouldn't be any different... That remains to be seen though.

That said, laws can vary state to state so I have no idea if you or OP could title it where you all live but, people are titling and plating them.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The newer Jeeps tend to have 4 types of owners:

- Total douche flatbills with rockstar rims, a cheap 5 inch lift, lights on everything and a ton of cheap Chinese JC Whitney shit all over it.

- Soccer moms and/or mid 40s women that have no idea WTF 4x4 means nor where it is in their Jeep

- Mid 40s/50s guy that spent another 50k on accessories for it. Snorkel, custom matching everything, upgraded everything. Yet always makes sure its perfectly clean and waxed. Most likely to wear Jeep branded clothing and put huge ass 'Jeep Life' stickers on his windshield.

For the record, I have a 97 TJ I offroad heavily. A lot of custom parts but was actually yelled at by some chick in traffic earlier that "I need a car wash" because you can barely see into/out of the jeep with the mud on it. Only modification I'm waiting to do is for the engine to explode (which it probably never will) so I can put a turbo diesel in it.

View Quote

I think you nailed the Jeep demographics.  You might need one more, "Guys who were stuck in their old ass CJ and TJ who finally realized that the JKs kick ass.  Although I presume that is what you meant with the last one."  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought my jku Rubicon because it was worth it to me to not have to modify any of it for a while and just have a trail capable rig for taking the kids somewhere, I still have my TJ in case I want to go anywhere fun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't get the original question.  Why would you even consider a Rubicon if you don't know what it includes?  Because the tires look cool?

Many Rubicon features have been pointed out here, but in general, it's far more capable off road and those components add to the cost.  If you want more info, this story is a good read.

Sure, you can upgrade a Sport and make it even more capable than a JKR, but that's not relevant to why a JKR costs more than a JK.

I have driven a Wrangler as my DD for 25 years.  My JKR is my 4th and it is without question my favorite.  Yeah, it's not as easy to repair.  The thing is a computer with wheels, but functionally it rocks.  This is where someone says that the only real jeep is a CJ...or YJ...or TJ.  Whatever.  I owned them all and loved them, but I'm not a jeep hipster.  I also started in an M151A1 when I was in the Army.  THAT was a real jeep...and it sucked.  I would take my JKR over it 7 days a week.

BTW, anyone can join the Chrysler affiliates program and pay max 1% below invoice with $75 max dealer fees (plus tax and tags), so stuff those MSRPs.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Means nothing Hombre, if you were offered a Land Rover your Jeep would be up for sale pronto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, there's something I have in my Jeep Wrangler that should really really impress you.

Means nothing Hombre, if you were offered a Land Rover your Jeep would be up for sale pronto

If I can take the top and doors off, we're listening.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The dealership I work P/T at has a few over $50k (not the brodozer dealership package, but straight factory).
They had a simple 2dr sport come in and a few days later they had it lifted with bro-wheels.  It sat for months before some sucker bought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if people would stop paying $40k+ for the Jeeps, the price would come down. Hard to blame them for charging what the market will bear, however.

The dealership I work P/T at has a few over $50k (not the brodozer dealership package, but straight factory).
They had a simple 2dr sport come in and a few days later they had it lifted with bro-wheels.  It sat for months before some sucker bought it.

Really hate when a dealership tosses a Smittybilt catalog at a Jeep and sells it for top dollar.

But...a fool and his money....

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That wasnt cool, it was just fuckin stupid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because even stock they can do cool shit like this

http://youtu.be/9JVLQuiBbjs

and anything with locking diffs can do the same, BFD. get some horse power will ya, sheesh what a turd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a Defender. With four doors and accessible cargo space (second row must fold down too).
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

and anything with locking diffs can do the same, BFD. get some horse power will ya, sheesh what a turd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
because even stock they can do cool shit like this

http://youtu.be/9JVLQuiBbjs

It was the driver, not the engine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Years ago I read a story in a four wheel drive mag that 19 out of 20 vehicles with 4WD never when off road once.

Out here I run into three types of Jeep clubs:

1. The guys with full-sized pickups flatbed towing their rock crawling rigs out so they can drive 100 yards in eight hours. They camp in the RV's their wives drove up in.
2. The expedition guys who drive out with their daily drivers and cover 100 miles off road in eight hours. They camp in tents.
3. The posers who come out with chrome everything, pose photos on a rock or trail, and then head on back to the road for lunch with the guys. They stay at the lodge.

View Quote

i would say 80% of the Ruub's i see in tucson az are pavement prowlers. not so much as a hint of desert pin striping to be found, more likely a shopping cart ding is more common, let alone a clump of mud on a fender.

they seem to be a trendy fad and hence the jacked up price. i feel for you guys that actually make those rides work for a living. i'd love to have something smaller than my F250 to poke around the desert in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

$100/year with tread lightly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:BTW, anyone can join the Chrysler affiliates program and pay max 1% below invoice with $75 max dealer fees (plus tax and tags), so stuff those MSRPs.  

$100/year with tread lightly.

Yep that's the route I went.  I also tried to get one of the golden tickets from Jeep; however, I finally got one after I bought it.  I also called Jeep dealers out of the city and spoke with their internet sales people and looked for the best deal.  Short of providing favors to the sales manager, that is about the best you can do with Wranglers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you...

Yep. Got it from salvage/scrap yard. Old dude was friendly. Told him in detail what I was looking for way in advance. 3 or 4  months later I got a phone call. While I was dropping it from the crashed rig, During our conversation. He said he usually sells them (whole crashed Jeep) to parts houses in Houston who are the ones who jack the price up. He said he actually made more selling me the axle and shipping the rest of the rig to his buyer. He's not set up to keep inventory.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Edited to remove profanity form thread title - T
View Quote

Msrp on a Rubi is under 34k if you skip the options, none of which improve off road performance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I never understood the premium for Jeeps.  Prices are out of control.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

leases on Wranglers? With how well they hold value...crazy talk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because people buy them on a 96 month note at that price...

Is it worth that to me? Nope!

FIFY

My buddy is a Jeep dealer, he said they sign more 8 year loans than anything else now. Leases, of course, are very common.

Gee, how did we get into a financial mess in this country?

leases on Wranglers? With how well they hold value...crazy talk.

Tacomas hold value better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rubi also lets you keep the powertrain warranty.

I can't throw stones at a Rubicon's price or Jeep's reputation for reliability... My nearly new Raptor's been in the shop for a week while they chase down a weird electrical gremlin, with no end in sight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't off road, never have; however, I do appreciate having 4WD for snowy roads and convertible for nice weather
Jeep has no competition in the 4WD, 4 door convertible market.
I'm 49 and have driven either a 4WD truck or Jeep since I was 18, whatever type owner that is labeled.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ha ha ha

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#47]
The $40k Rubicon is the cream of the crop. It's going to have everything they option. Like someone already stated. other than the front axle, e-lockers, e-disconnect, gear ratio and transfer case, nothing in those options make it more capable than a sport or Sierra off the pavement. They are luxuries for the female of our species and lawyers kids.

If you are not tech savvy and want a realperformer off the lot for weekends and grabbing groceries during the week and have the cash. Rubicon is perfect. Slap some 33's on it and rock and roll! As long as you are not getting crazy stupid it will take you places.

If you are a serious off-roader the axles should be replaced with Dana 60's or 80's and big nasty 40" meats. That means all those upgraded drive train parts will be for nothing And you still have drive shafts, shocks, springs, new disco's, steering, fenders etc. you are talking 20-30k depending what route you take and if you do it in the driveway or pay someone. Oh and add another 15-20k for a hemi or LS swap haha
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Awe bless your heart.  Jeeps are definitely not for you, you should stick with your Subarus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep = the automotive version of coming out of the closet.

Awe bless your heart.  Jeeps are definitely not for you, you should stick with your Subarus.

Heh.

Subaru FZJ80 . factory bus transmission, factory locked, floating axles, and lifted and armored, and it was 12% the cost of a Rubicon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Where are all the soccer moms driving Rubicons....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Paid just shy of 30k a few years ago for a new rubicon. Factory order. Shouldn't be 40k unless it's decked out with all the soccer mom features.
Where are all the soccer moms driving Rubicons....
I'm wondering the same thing. I never see women driving Jeeps around here.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a Jeep thing
View Quote

I don't understand.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top