Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
California used to be a great state.  Good job opportunities, good standard of living, good hunting-not to mention the climate and beaches.  Things started to turn back in the late '80s or early '90s-I don't know exactly when.  The demographic landscape changed drastically after I graduated from HS, and maybe that has something to do with tipping the balance of power over to the liberals who've ruined the state.  

Gun control aside (because there are other things to consider), there's a lot of reasons not to live there, and the only thing I miss about CA is Ft. Hunter Legget.  Great training and outstanding hunting.  It's not enough to make me want to live in a state that wants to tax me to oblivion to support it's own Great Society fiasco.

I first visited there in the early 1990s and while I was just a punk teenager I really liked the state and said hey, I'd like to move here.

I had an opportunity in 2001 to move there and work for a good company but after visiting the location with my wife we both decided that the higher taxes, insanely higher cost of living, traffic, and illegal immigration issue was not something we were interested in.  We've gone back there together and I've had to work in CA (Oakland, San Jose, Watts, Hayward, Fresno, Madera (sp), etc.) and found good people, conservative values, and lots to see and do.  Problem is that people vote with the $$$$$ and not necessarily by values and with the population centers being mostly leftist the state is going to be the way it is for the foreseeable future.  

Oh, and I think CA started going downhill in the 1970s based off when a lot of the more restrictive laws started coming onto the books, not from experience.

Could be, maybe I was just tone-deaf to it.  Remember, Prop 13 passed and property taxes went down to the benefit of working home owners-teachers never forgave voters for it though...

Prop 15 (to ban the further sale of new handguns) failed to pass by a 2/3 majority, and the liberals howled in protest.  I believe that was in 1982.  I remember reading the San Jose Mercury News editorial page and being very satisfied that we won that one.  I love seeing liberals wet their pants.  

There are a lot of conservatives in the state.  Even as recently as a few years back, Prop 187 passed, which would have helped deter illegal immigration, but years of liberals stacking the courts in their favor defeated the will of the people.  Gov. Gray Davis was recalled because people were fed up with his "tax and spend" liberal ways.  Arnold isn't that much of an improvement.

There is hope for CA, but I don't know what the solution is.  I have no use for CA in it's current state, so I refuse to live there.  CA has devolved into a liberal political machine.    

Why does the California congress always get a pass? Running a state isn't a 1 man show. (no I'm not a fan of Arnold and his microstamping, lead free bullets republicanism either)
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The state is full of liberal shit heads who believe in entitlement programs.

Also full of a lot of normal people, who are more pissed off, then the average arfcommer.

The 4xD comment reminds me a lot of the comments of people who live in upstate New York and are buriedd by the excesses of New York City.

5sub

and Seattle VS East Washington state, Portland + Eugene VS the rest of Oregon, Denver VS the rest of Colorado, Chicago VS southern Illinois, Detroit VS suburban Michigan and Philly VS western Pennsylvannia.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top