BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Patience Comrade.  When ze time cums we shall rule ze skies!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which one of you guys is going to mount a gun on one of these bad boys?

Airsoft?

.22?

Lets try with a real gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airsoft?

.22?

I posted that in a thread a few days back. Its awesome....

Im looking for someone who has done it that doesn't have a machine gun or a million dollar budget.

I was just curious if any Arfcommers had done it yet.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Would be cool if the video was real
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Im looking for someone who has done it that doesn't have a machine gun or a million dollar budget.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Airsoft?

.22?

If I did, I wouldn't admit to it.  Never invite "the man" into your life.

Oh wait, I am "the man".  Disregard citizen
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I started my build tonight.  I decided to go with a Tricopter for a first build to keep the parts count and complexity down.  I plan on setting this up for FPV once I get more comfortable with flying it.

I finished the basic frame build tonight, and plan to get the flight control board, ESCs, and receiver in tomorrow.  I'm still waiting on some small parts before it's ready to fly.

One of the other benefits of the tricopter is that it folds up for storage and transportation.  Also, in a crash the wings are supposed to come loose and not break.  After watching my friends quad and hexacopter both crash and break all kinds of parts I wanted something that woulld be a little more survivable.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Needs lasers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Needs lasers.
View Quote

I'm planning on mounting re-purposed Bluray burner lasers all over the thing and programming it to do a "Death Blossom."  
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I started my build tonight.  I decided to go with a Tricopter for a first build to keep the parts count and complexity down.  I plan on setting this up for FPV once I get more comfortable with flying it.

I finished the basic frame build tonight, and plan to get the flight control board, ESCs, and receiver in tomorrow.  I'm still waiting on some small parts before it's ready to fly.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/SturmMonkey/ARFCOM/Tricopter01_zps847342e9.jpg

One of the other benefits of the tricopter is that it folds up for storage and transportation.  Also, in a crash the wings are supposed to come loose and not break.  After watching my friends quad and hexacopter both crash and break all kinds of parts I wanted something that woulld be a little more survivable.  

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/SturmMonkey/ARFCOM/Tricopter02_zpscfb39a00.jpg
View Quote

What kind of motor/esc/prop combo are you going for with this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What kind of motor/esc/prop combo are you going for with this?
View Quote

My friend dragged me into this new hobby so he pretty much told me what to get.  

DT750 750kV Motors
20 amp Turnigy Multistar ESC
11x4.7 APC Props
KK 2.1
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]
After crashing 3 multi-copter running APM 2.5 I thought I would get a NAZA lite flight controller ILO another APM. Here is a video if the 3rd flight. with no tweaking the controller managed to hold position while i was doing a flight time check.

This Copter is a DJI F550 with a DJI NAZA Lite w/GPS

The 3 previews milti-rotors were

DJI F550 with APM 2.5 ArduCopter 2.8
DJI F450 With APM 2.5 ArduCopter 3.1
RCTIMER Alien Quad with ArduFlyer 2.5 (Their open source copy of the APM 2.5) I lost the 8 channel controller when this one crashed..... don't ask

Rest In Pieces (or as it were, the local waste disposal site)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOpFQKYUAQ[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Made hot for you.  You have to remove the s in the https
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My Blade 350QX arrived today and even though I said to myself over and over I wasn't going to fly it until I got more skill I could not resist the urge  Flying in smart mode was a no brainer for the most part and after a couple of 5 minute flights I decided to mount my partially broken Hero3 Silver and see how it would work.  I have a cheap EBay gimbal coming from China sometime or other to play with later and hopefully get some halfway decent videos.  A second Blade 350QX arrives tomorrow just in case I break this one!!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My Blade 350QX arrived today and even though I said to myself over and over I wasn't going to fly it until I got more skill I could not resist the urge  Flying in smart mode was a no brainer for the most part and after a couple of 5 minute flights I decided to mount my partially broken Hero3 Silver and see how it would work.  I have a cheap EBay gimbal coming from China sometime or other to play with later and hopefully get some halfway decent videos.  A second Blade 350QX arrives tomorrow just in case I break this one!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NrUa50g8n4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwQYEn9IDPJOagBqt6A70Vw
View Quote

Nice smooth flying, safe mode seems pretty tame.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NrUa50g8n4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwQYEn9IDPJOagBqt6A70Vw

It is very tame a keeps a complete newb like me from hopefully destroying an expensive toy right off the bat.  It really limits the speed, altitude, and agility of what really is a pretty high performance machine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Made hot for you. You have to remove the s in the https
View Quote

Thank you, I wondered why it didn't show up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thank you, I wondered why it didn't show up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
After being sick for a month I finally built my F550 today:

Flies okay but still needs tweaking. I'll most likely drop down to 8" props since it's a little wobbly in the wind.

So this #5.... and I still have 3 FCs and 3 frames.... sheesh. I've been flying RC planes for 20 years but these things are even more addicting
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Instead of smaller props you might try going with a 4s battery. My F550 runs raped ape-like in difference with a 4s versus a 3s.

Couple of pics from today, went back to the Mexico border and attracted a little attention (see BP boat).

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Instead of smaller props you might try going with a 4s battery. My F550 runs raped ape-like in difference with a 4s versus a 3s.
View Quote

These motors with 10" props don't really like 4S, too many amps. I could maaaaybe pull it off with 8's though.

Regardless, I tested it yesterday and made probably 20-25 short flights getting the gains adjusted (would have been fewer but I had some out of balance props that were throwing everything off) and it's handling the wind okay now. I'll still test it with the 8" CF props but it might be okay with the 10's... I'll know soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]

This beautiful beast just got put together this weekend. Features
long range radio that can go miles, long run-time depending on what
battery is used, water resistant, live two way telemetry, Arducopter
autopilot. Heavy lifting too!

Would be great for farming surveys or filming. Flies really smooth with no vibration.

Some flight time and lift capacity specs on various batteries:

• All up weight without batteries or cameras: 1191g. (Which is quite lightweight for a 650 class quad with 15" props.)

• 4s 3300mah lipo battery: 1522g auw. hover 17min, mixed 7min, add payload 1017g (2.2lb)

• 4s 5000mah lipo battery: 1660g auw. hover 24min, mixed 11min, add payload 965g (2.1lb)

• 4s 6600mah lipo batteries: 1854g auw. hover 27min, mixed 13min, add payload 887g (2lb)

• 4s 10,000mah lipo batteries: 2129g auw. hover 33min, mixed 20min, add payload 410g (.9lb)

• 6s 6800mah lion batteries: 1792g auw. hover 39min, mixed 9min, add payload 3621g (8lb)

• 6s 13600mah lion batteries: 2392g auw. hover 55min, mixed 16min, add payload 3021g (6.6lb)

As you can see, 6s lion batteries are really interesting ;)

4s 6600mah setup with gopro

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Mind putting out your specs on motors and escs?

And when you have time, real flight time? Looks awesome....

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mind putting out your specs on motors and escs?

And when you have time, real flight time? Looks awesome....
View Quote

haven't flew for flight times yet but it seems to run forever

RCtimer 15x5.5

Tarot 650 frame

Tmotor 35A 3s-6s SimonK opto 600hz

Rctimer 5010-14 360KV

4s 5000mah x1 or x2

APM 2.5

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody have experience with the 3dr APM 2.6 or Pixhawk? I'm drawn to the return to home and autonomous capability unavailable on NAZA, but dont want to wade through all the Multiwii flashing crap. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]
New, MUCH smoother motors installed on my F550 today. Hopefully testing and tuning tomorrow at the field then off to Cabelas for arrow shafts to mount my gimbal
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Anybody have experience with the 3dr APM 2.6 or Pixhawk? I'm drawn to the return to home and autonomous capability unavailable on NAZA, but dont want to wade through all the Multiwii flashing crap. Thoughts?
View Quote
yea, I have a couple APM 2.5's. They are not easy to set up, but very capable. NAZA is probably easier to use.

I buy my APM's and telemetry radios from RCTIMER and buy the "Power Module" (current/voltage sensor/bec) from 3drobotics.

APM has a bit of tribal knowledge such as: be sure to place the foam over the barometer!

also, avoid Pixhawk for the moment. Its still too new and has bugs.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the 2.5 and have nothing but pretty good luck with it, found the settings easy via Mission Planner. I've done autonomous flights, use RTH a bunch and overall very satisfied. The logging feature is good to use to troubleshoot when things go wrong, so far almost everything has been my fault.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#27]
check this out, thing flies like nothing ive seen before

http://vimeo.com/86291282
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
check this out, thing flies like nothing ive seen before

http://vimeo.com/86291282
View Quote

Pretty neat.  That has the the speed and acceleration of a cp heli.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
If I just had  1/1,000th of his flying skills I might could fly my Blade 350QX
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
nice scenery!

balance the props and motors and mount your gopro on top of ear plugs to remove the jello.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
The original poster about these things now owes me about $4 grand and still climbing.  Good thing my gun collection is complete and other hobbies are paid for and well stocked
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]
made some bumpers, I really like these. Saves my props.

these rods: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8712__glass_fiber_rod_750x2_5mm_10pcs_set_.html

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
made some bumpers, I really like these. Saves my props.

these rods: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8712__glass_fiber_rod_750x2_5mm_10pcs_set_.html

http://i57.tinypic.com/34xn7mc.jpg  
View Quote

Whoa.!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, working on a DJI F330, and I was planning on the Naza-M- V2, but apparently the manufacturer is having a hard time meeting demand.

What other multirotor flight controllers do you guys have experience with and would suggest?  I would eventually like to get to FPV.

Onyx
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought one because of this thread from amazon Amazon link
Played with it 2 times and gave up trying to get a smooth take off. Been sitting in box ever since. $27 PayPal gift shipped and it's yours
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ok, working on a DJI F330, and I was planning on the Naza-M- V2, but apparently the manufacturer is having a hard time meeting demand.

What other multirotor flight controllers do you guys have experience with and would suggest?  I would eventually like to get to FPV.

Onyx
View Quote

Have you checked EBay?  There were many there 2 weeks ago when I ordered my 2 Naza-lite gps controllers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you checked EBay?  There were many there 2 weeks ago when I ordered my 2 Naza-lite gps controllers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Onyx

I have not, I will go check it out.  Thanks!
'

Onyx
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

'

Onyx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Onyx

'

Onyx

And as a heads up, many things I have ordered have come from China and I have gotten all of them in 10 days or less so far.
'
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Onyx
View Quote

1. Hobbyking kk2 $20

2. Abusemark Naze32 $50

3. OpenPilot CC3D $90

4. 3DR or Rctimer APM 2.x $150

5. 3DR Pixhawk $180

I like Naze32 and APM. The main reason to upgrade to APM or Pixhawk is if you want RTH and waypoints.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got done reading all 10 pages...damn...now I want one of these.

What is a good starter quad? Is it like many of my other hobbies where it makes more sense to skip the "beginner" quality gear and move straight to something better?

I was looking at the Blade Nano. Are these things worth a damn or will they just frustrate me?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What is a good starter quad? Is it like many of my other hobbies where it makes more sense to skip the "beginner" quality gear and move straight to something better?

I was looking at the Blade Nano. Are these things worth a damn or will they just frustrate me?
View Quote

Start cheap and preferably one that has easy cheap parts availability.   You will crash many times before you start to get the hang of things.  You don't want to do that with a $500-1500 quad unless you are made of money.   There are toy grade and hobby grade machines and somewhere in between machines.  Start with a toy if possible and work from there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want cheap but "easy" to fly, look for a 6 axis unti.

I bought this one from this seller for a gift and liked it.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Http--Or-Or-Www_banggood_com-Or-Wholesale-Upgrade-Wltoys-V959-V2-2_4G-6-Axis-4CH-RC-Quadcopter-With-Camera-Mode-2-RTF-p-67794_html-p-67794.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=nydia&utm_campaign=Src-us-wtv222&gclid=CPj4vLD1i70CFcRefgodVVwAeg

It does come from China so it'll take a few days.

If you want to jump right in and build one from a kit, I've had luck with the DJI "flamewheel" kits.

If you want a turnkey system and are tired of building and tinkering, the DJI Phantom 2 might be considered.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Http--Or-Or-Www_banggood_com-Or-Wholesale-Upgrade-Wltoys-V959-V2-2_4G-6-Axis-4CH-RC-Quadcopter-With-Camera-Mode-2-RTF-p-67794_html-p-67794.html?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=nydia&utm_campaign=Src-us-wtv222&gclid=CPj4vLD1i70CFcRefgodVVwAeg

If you want to jump right in and build one from a kit, I've had luck with the DJI "flamewheel" kits.

If you want a turnkey system and are tired of building and tinkering, the DJI Phantom 2 might be considered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the much bigger V262 and it is an awesome flying machine and extremely cheap to fix.  Only downside is it is too big to fly indoors.  It does awesome flips with the push of a button and pull on the stick afterwards.  Mine came with the cheap camera and I recommend against spending the extra for the camera.  It is way out of focus and cloudy.  the V262 will actually carry a GoPro with ease.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I can tell you that after a good 20 years of not having to use my brain or coordination skills in any meaningful way, flying quads is a real challenge and excellent brain exercise.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Forgot about this thread.

Mine have been getting some upgrade love while we have been snowed in up here.

My TBS Discover now has long carbon arms and 13" props. Here is sits next to my F550 (which has 10" props on it)

Here is a shot of the Discovery. Bottom left you can see what the stock arms looked like

Here it is flying.

Next is to put the same arms on my F550 and put 12 or 13" props on it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#49]
W
Quoted:
Forgot about this thread.

Mine have been getting some upgrade love while we have been snowed in up here.

My TBS Discover now has long carbon arms and 13" props. Here is sits next to my F550 (which has 10" props on it)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8D5hXk-d3kQ/Ux_NdiAOPjI/AAAAAAAALkE/rdGQTfPum9A/s1280/550disco.jpg

Here is a shot of the Discovery. Bottom left you can see what the stock arms looked like
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JtD-sqmXn9c/UxFkL2Aoj7I/AAAAAAAALYk/a00fWDdhMw4/s1024/IMAGE_787.jpg

Here it is flying.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jNqHPiNAdPo/Ux_NSOxUTRI/AAAAAAAALjw/nt80LydC_Cg/s1152/CJM_4707.jpg

Next is to put the same arms on my F550 and put 12 or 13" props on it.
View Quote

What kind of flight times are you getting with the TBS?  Looks interesting and what gimbal is  that on the front?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Wonder if there have been any experiments scaling these up and having actual human pilots in them,
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top