Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:45:34 PM EDT
My wife wants a new car as her Nissan Altima is getting near it's end.  She like Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc.  Any opinions on which to get?  Are any of them particularly problematic?  She doesn't drive fast and is using the car to get to work (20 miles away).  There are a ton of used ones in the $18-20K range at various dealers here in Phoenix, AZ.  As much as I would want to get a nice high end one, it would be a waste as my wife keeps her hands at 10 & 2 and does the speed limit or under.  I would get the low to medium level car, so it is mainly for the looks.  I ride motorcycles for fun (Honda CBR1100XX & Buell XB), so I don't need to 'steal' the wife's ride on the weekend for my speed & performance rush.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
2015 Mustang is nice
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They'll all get to work and back.  They'll all have little issues.  Might as well go for MPG since it's gonna be a boring car anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If she is just communing in it I'd look at the V6 mustang honestly, It has better materials on the interior and handles better than the other two.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If she just communing in it I'd look at the V6 mustang honestly, It has better materials on the interior and handles better than the other two.
View Quote

Of the choices given, the Mustang is the best choice and the V6 makes the most sense.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Mustang for sure.  The other 2 are still nice cars, BUT they're kind of big bloatmobiles.  Mustang has them beat currently (hard for me to say especially since out of the American makes I lean STRONGLY GM).

Me, I'd do the 4-cyl turbo, but if you can get a deal on the V6 it'd be OK too.  V8 is just wasteful given the driving habits described.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
S197 Mustang > S550 Mustang > Every other generation of Camaro > Challenger > 5th gen Camaro

(I own a Camaro)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife wants a new car as her Nissan Altima is getting near it's end.  She like Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc.  Any opinions on which to get?  Are any of them particularly problematic?  She doesn't drive fast and is using the car to get to work (20 miles away).  There are a ton of used ones in the $18-20K range at various dealers here in Phoenix, AZ.  As much as I would want to get a nice high end one, it would be a waste as my wife keeps her hands at 10 & 2 and does the speed limit or under.  I would get the low to medium level car, so it is mainly for the looks.  I ride motorcycles for fun (Honda CBR1100XX & Buell XB), so I don't need to 'steal' the wife's ride on the weekend for my speed & performance rush.
View Quote

2014 mustang with the V6.  Should be able to get a good deal on one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh wow, you actually found a chick who likes any those cars? That's kinda cool.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
just looking at Chandler area, seems all 2014s are sold.   Could have gotten a V6 for $20k plus tax brand new.  Maybe wait for the 2015s?

Used prices are still nuts.  There are some nice V8 Mustang convertibles for $20k or less.   I would suggest avoiding 2005 & 2006 models, ton of electrical issues which I am dealing with on my 06 GT.

Maybe you could still find a new 2014 V6 Challenger for a great price?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a fan of the Challenger myself. Good fuel economy in the base model, but more room inside and a bigger trunk than the mustang. Would be the most comfortable one to sit in for a long time, IMO.

Mustang would be the best value though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Mustang 5.0
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#12]

/End thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the appeal of a Challenger?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Cannibal777/media/7847b932.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/Cannibal777/7847b932.jpg</a>

/End thread.
View Quote

??

That's just a picture of the exterior.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a great looking car.  It may not be the hottest performer of the group but has more interior and trunk room and is a comfortable cruiser.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Subaru wrx
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Mustang.

Ford supports Mustangs drag racing. Lots of aftermarket support.

The 2015 is drop dead sexy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Charger is nice but Mustang wins hands down.  Don't even consider the Government Motors offering.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Given those choices, Mustang. But if you open it up a bit, get her a Wrangler...LOVE mine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#20]
They are 3 totally different cars.   There are 3 different approaches to marketing straight line and twisty performance.   They are at different price points with different options.  Looking purely at performance and not luxury options, the Charger starts around $28K with a 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 gears but without any kind of handling suspension.    The Mustang is at $35K with the handling package and 3.73 gears.   The Camaro is at $38K with the 1LE handling package.    
If all you wanted to do was go in a straight line quick, the Challenger will get  you there for less $$.  If you want the quickest of the three and 2nd best handling, the Mustang GT is your car.  If you want to be the absolute best at handling the corners and be a close 2nd in the 1/4 mile, then the Camaro is the ticket.  
Now these are obviously not the only packages or price points.  For an example, you can get an awesome handling Mustang which will run high 13 second 1/4 mile times for less than $28K if you go with the 2.3L ecoboost Mustang.  Any of these cars can be modified by the owner to increase any of the performance parameters down the road.  As an example, the Ecoboost Mustang can easily run high 12s with a few bolt ons.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
2015 Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost, 6-speed, and performance handling package would be my choice for a daily driver.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I vote Mustang.  2014 or 2015 GT with perf pack, either or.

I see CAFE standards radically effecting factory V8s within the next 3-5 years.    Get the V8 and hold onto it.    It is 1972-73 all over again.

Would be a Challenger fan if it were 400-500 pounds lighter.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
OP : is this going to be an auto-trans car, or a manual?

ETA : Given all 3 on equal footing, with automatic transmissions (since the V6 Challenger can't be had with a manual...), it's far different than buying them as "sports" cars.  The V6 6-speed M/T Mustang with the performance package (which was the best $2000 package ever put on a factory car, IMO) puts the others away as a "driver's" car.  Mine was stolen, but it was great - went where you pointed it, got up and went pretty damned well, was comfortable, and nicely-built.  I miss mine...

However, if I was buying one simply as a commuter/cruiser, with no emphasis put on sportiness at all, I'd have a tough time passing by the Challenger.  It's spacious, fairly practical (well, more than the Camaro and Mustang, anyway), drives pretty well, and I've always been impressed with the 8-speed unit that Dodge uses.  They can be had for about $23,000 around here, discounted - not sure if that's the case for the '15, which is the only way you'll get the 8-speed.  I've heard of people liking their A/T Mustangs with the 3.7, too.  But make no mistake - the Mustang through '14 was a throwback - I thought the solid axle and such was a hoot - it made driving it a bit more involved than your typical FWD family car.  I actually liked driving my Mustang better than any BMW I'd driven - they were super-refined cars, but that's also their detraction in my eyes - they were almost bland most of the time.  The SS Camaro is a great car - but the V6 is just a bit too bland and lardy, without offering the sedan-like comfort and room of the Challenger, so I can't see any reason to keep it here.  To each their own, though.  

So, '14 Mustang for me if money was an issue and the M/T and performance package is in the options.  '15 Challenger if I were looking for room, comfort, and everyday driveability/practicality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]

I haven't taken any photos of the inside but this is my sticker I paid 34,500 TTL with the performance package.

As for the mustang having better handling if you buy into this even with the new mustangs independent suspension please , please don't take it at speed into a corner ive almost been killed by three brand new mustangs trying to go into a corner at the same speed as me and coming out the other side sideways or back wards.

In all the paid testing they always show the dodge as the under dog but in reality I can stop faster than a mustang even though its lighter than my vehicle and I can hold turns at higher speeds than both camaro's and mustangs.

Nor have I had any stock mustang's or a camaro's pull away from me in any way shape or form even though I have a little bitty 5.7 no matter how hard they tried.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
2012-2015 Audi S4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2012-2015 Audi S4
View Quote

Cool cars.....on the rare occasions when they aren't in the shop......
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Mustang... All.day.long.... I've owned 3.

1998 GT
2008 GT/California Special
2011 GT/Roush

Great cars.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Go drive them. I bet you'll like the Mustang and Camaro, and the Challenger will feel huge, slow, and very soft in terms of suspension and brakes. At least that was my take after recent test drives.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As for the mustang having better handling if you buy into this even with the new mustangs independent suspension please , please don't take it at speed into a corner ive almost been killed by three brand new mustangs trying to go into a corner at the same speed as me and coming out the other side sideways or back wards..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As for the mustang having better handling if you buy into this even with the new mustangs independent suspension please , please don't take it at speed into a corner ive almost been killed by three brand new mustangs trying to go into a corner at the same speed as me and coming out the other side sideways or back wards..

Over-steer or breaking traction on exit because of an inexperienced person driving is not a shortcoming of the Mustang suspension.  The new independent suspension sticks far better than the live axle it replaced.  Many of the idiots driving these new cars simply have zero experience with a 400HP+ car and it shows.  

Quoted:
In all the paid testing they always show the dodge as the under dog but in reality I can stop faster than a mustang even though its lighter than my vehicle and I can hold turns at higher speeds than both camaro's and mustangs.

All you can assume is that you can drive better than those typically around you when you happen to be driving aggressively on the street....

Quoted:
Nor have I had any stock mustang's or a camaro's pull away from me in any way shape or form even though I have a little bitty 5.7 no matter how hard they tried.

I have seen this with other vehicles.  Torque in the mid range while in motion on the "street" is an advantage for playing reindeer games.   From a stop and running a full 1/4 mile, you would not fare as well..  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Spent time in all of them, Camaro sucks nuts quite honestly. no visibility, ungangly, slow, and a poor layout interior wise. Challenger is a show piece and you can get a warranty that makes life with it a lot easier, the mustang is pure fun... for a price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#31]
The Camaro continually outperforms the Mustang and Challenger.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not if your definition of performance is 1/4 mile ET    Even with a 6.2L engine, the Camaro can not beat the times of the 5.0L mustang stock for stock.  It costs more $$ per Horsepower and it takes a more expensive Camaro with the 1LE option in order to "out perform" the Mustang in the corners.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

A Charger, or any other four door car, might give her more "commuter car" options.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not if your definition of performance is 1/4 mile ET    Even with a 6.2L engine, the Camaro can not beat the times of the 5.0L mustang stock for stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if your definition of performance is 1/4 mile ET    Even with a 6.2L engine, the Camaro can not beat the times of the 5.0L mustang stock for stock.

1/4 is boring, and is an American holdover from the era when only European cars could turn.  Despite that, the Coyote in the brand-new '15 beats the outgoing Gen 5 Camaro by tenths of a second--hardly a convincing win, and with both being manuals, it could very well come down to a driver's race... and to add some insult to that, this is the brand-new Mustang beating a 7-year-old Camaro.  Yawn, Ford playing catch-up... again... always.

Even with Ford making the right decision and going back to IRS, the driving impressions of the '15 Mustang thus far have been lackluster.   I would happily pit my 11yo CTS-V against a '15 Mustang around a track.

I'll take a fractionally slower quarter mile for an engine with three fewer cams, lower COG, and a car that can actually hustle it's fat ass around a track with some poise.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not if your definition of performance is 1/4 mile ET    Even with a 6.2L engine, the Camaro can not beat the times of the 5.0L mustang stock for stock.  It costs more $$ per Horsepower and it takes a more expensive Camaro with the 1LE option in order to "out perform" the Mustang in the corners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motortrend disagrees.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Motortrend disagrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTJPDurLEKw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motortrend disagrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTJPDurLEKw

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

S197 Mustang > S550 Mustang > Every other generation of Camaro > Challenger > 5th gen Camaro

(I own a Camaro)
View Quote

As long as that S197 is a 2011 to 2014 model...  The 2005 and 2006 had way too many electrical gremlins.  By 2008, they had most of those problems sorted out, the the 4.6 is kind of anemic compared to the Coyote 5.0.  I owned a 2006 Mustang GT and you couldn't give me another one!

When it comes to visibility out of the coupes, I find it's Challenger > Mustang > Camaro.  Last year, I considered the Camaro, but I'd be terrified to back out of a parking spot or my garage with it.  You can literally only see what is directly behind you with very little peripheral vision.  That must make merging into traffic especially fun, and I do that multiple times daily!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2012-2015 Audi S4

X2.  I made the mistake of buying a 2013 GTI when I blew my knee out and could no longer drive my 2012 WRX.  Until something changes with the Volkswagen group, ALL their offerings are off the table!  In fact I am stuck with a tough choice now...  Do I remain aggravated with my VW OR do I take a beating to get rid of this super accelerated depreciating POS?  I guess I will see how long it goes before another problem pops up and decide accordingly from there.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
and to add some insult to that, this is the brand-new Mustang beating a 7-year-old Camaro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
and to add some insult to that, this is the brand-new Mustang beating a 7-year-old Camaro.

2015 to 2015...   Watch your video again....

Quoted:
Quoted:
It costs more $$ per Horsepower and it takes a more expensive Camaro with the 1LE option in order to "out perform" the Mustang in the corners[/span].

Motortrend disagrees.

Motortrend agrees...   Again, watch your video then go to Chevrolet and Ford Web sites.    Price out the most stripped down SS 1LE Camaro and then do the same for the Mustang GT with the "GT Performance Package".    It takes thousands of dollars more to purchase that Camaro in order to beat a GT in the corners.  Without the 1LE package, the Mustang will eat it up.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Dodge Challenger SXT Plus (V6).

Great leather interior, sport suspension, 20 inch rims, large trunk and excellent comforable driving.

I get people continually coming up to me to talk about her. A real eye catcher.

Yes, I'm biased!!!

RW3
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Challenger, I own a 2012 STP RT with a 6sp, its stupid fast with that 3.92 rear end gearing
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I got my wife a 2012 Challenger SXT.  She liked it best out of everything we test drove (2015 Mustang V6 & Eco-boost, Camaro and Challenger).  It makes her heart sing, so that is what we got.  I think it is a great looking car, even if it isn't a true 'sports' or muscle car.  Plus it was nearly a third cheaper than getting a new one and it came tinted along with some nice looking after market rims.  So it was cheap, it makes my wife happy and it makes her co-workers jealous.  So life is good for the time being.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:18:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Mustang.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Low miles, one owner 2007-2010 BMW 335 for $15k-$20k.
Less than $2k in mods and you have over 400whp/400wtq, more if you have access to e85.

One of the best looking cars on the road still, you can make it anything you want;  drag racer, roll racer, a car to turn laps in or you can just keep it a street car. IMO it's a true modern muscle car, all these new American muscle cars don't know what they want to be and are hampered by having to hold on to the past.

Plus inline 6's are so fucking enjoyable to work on. I'd rather work on my i6 bmw then even my 5.3 tahoe or 5.3 silverado and there's tons of working room under those hoods.

Engine has forged internals from factory and can handle 600-700whp all day. No one even makes any internal engine upgrades yet due how strong it is from the factory. Car is just entering is prime as far as the modding community, new exciting stuff is coming out almost daily.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Unless you're buying one of the performance packages.....buy what she likes. A v6 pony car is a compromise no matter what.

The 1LE is a badass over all and an excellent value. Short of that get whatever one you like and can get the best deal on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Hellcat Challenger
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Love my R/T Challenger
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything other than the Camaro.

Terrible to drive in, way more expensive if you want it to actually do anything better than the competition.

Oh yeah, then if you look at the interior, it looks like it was designed by Helen Keller, but the version of her that has to sense of touch either.

Exterior isn't much better.  Maybe the Helen Keller bit is tough, so maybe we'll just say.....designed by a child with a 64 pack of crayolas.  Zero class.

BTW.....Ford playing catchup still?

I can't wait to see what the cheaper GT350 does to it.....or the GT500.  Nice try
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a Mustang GT on the way next month
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#50]
To me the Camaros have crazy blind spots.  As far as Mustangs go they're nice, the only downside I can think of them is that on summer days I like to ride with my windows down.  The seats in the 11-14 Mustangs sit really low and and it is not comfy resting my arm on the door.  I have never been in the Challenger.  I know little petty stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top