BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My story, for what its worth---

I moved to Montana from Virginia about 8 years. I lived too close to Northern Virginia and the millions of people there.

I had a job lined up before I moved here. That is likely the most important part. Montana only has about a million people. Less people means less job opportunity. I knew beforehand that my job would pay the bills. I did a lot of research online about apartment rentals, etc...

Women-- Yeah it is a problem. They do call this 'Montucky' for a reason. Girls seem to have a kid or two by the time they are 20. That comes with the territory. I met my now-wife in a city about 2.5 hours drive away.

Alcohol-- Yes people drink a lot here. It is just the thing to do. They also like to drink and drive. I am one of the few guys I know that has not had a DWI.

Winter-- Yes it can suck. That first winter I was here it stayed at least -15 for about 2 weeks straight. People just deal with it. It is nothing to see everybody's parked cars and trucks idling while they go into a store for 30 minutes. We just had about 2 inches of snow a few days ago and in my personal experience it has snowed as late as May 25th.

The scenery-- Yes is it absolutely awesome! You almost get used to having a nice background everywhere you look. If a person is into hiking and fishing this is the place. I don't hunt anymore, but that is somewhat more complicated and can get real expensive if you don't own a ranch.

Hope this helps!
View Quote

We called that Driving With Indians
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wyoming has fewer Californians.

Live in Northern Wy (no income tax). Shop in MT (no sales tax).

Montanans and Wyomingites are pretty much the same tribe. You'll be welcomed if your worthy of being welcomed. If not, we'll feed you to our dogs...or that fat lesbian in Jackson that lies about being a vegan.....or her cousin in Bozeman.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My story, for what its worth---

I moved to Montana from Virginia about 8 years. I lived too close to Northern Virginia and the millions of people there.

I had a job lined up before I moved here. That is likely the most important part. Montana only has about a million people. Less people means less job opportunity. I knew beforehand that my job would pay the bills. I did a lot of research online about apartment rentals, etc...

Women-- Yeah it is a problem. They do call this 'Montucky' for a reason. Girls seem to have a kid or two by the time they are 20. That comes with the territory. I met my now-wife in a city about 2.5 hours drive away.

Alcohol-- Yes people drink a lot here. It is just the thing to do. They also like to drink and drive. I am one of the few guys I know that has not had a DWI.

Winter-- Yes it can suck. That first winter I was here it stayed at least -15 for about 2 weeks straight. People just deal with it. It is nothing to see everybody's parked cars and trucks idling while they go into a store for 30 minutes. We just had about 2 inches of snow a few days ago and in my personal experience it has snowed as late as May 25th.

The scenery-- Yes is it absolutely awesome! You almost get used to having a nice background everywhere you look. If a person is into hiking and fishing this is the place. I don't hunt anymore, but that is somewhat more complicated and can get real expensive if you don't own a ranch.

Hope this helps!
View Quote

Women aren't a problem in Bozeman or Missoula for that mattter.

Missoula you get a lot of Liberal dipshits, but there's so many women in Bozeman if you can't get laid there you're not even trying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Well, this guy didn't die while trying to defect in a Typhoon Class missile boat to see Wyoming:

I'm sure they're both awesome, though.... stunningly beautiful.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Wyoming's current Governor in the middle. Matt Mead.

The Wyo Gov making ammo into brass.

The Wyo Gov policing up brass.

The Wyo Gov spotting shots for me.

The Wyo Gov's Deputy Chief of Staff killing elk.

The Wyo Gov's policy dude killing elk,

Montana has some very nice scenery but when it comes to gun rights Wyoming simply stands alone.

We also have some pretty decent scenery.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My company has an office in Laramie, and I would like to work there, but our work is slowing down for sure.

Only other company i can see working for just won a huge contract in Big Sky, which is very temping.

Both would make a great choice.  My state has gone downhill, and I'm about done with everyone here. If I could move to WY, and never speak to a soul again, I would.

However the GF does not want to move up there because she hates freedom/America apparently. Big city thinkers Eject time yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, this guy didn't die while trying to defect in a Typhoon Class missile boat to see Wyoming:

http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/pictures/hfro/420montana1.jpg

I'm sure they're both awesome, though.... stunningly beautiful.
View Quote

We know, but does everyone else have to?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MT is prettier, which is why liberals are moving in. it's the new colorado.  

WY will be one of the last conservative holdout states.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like California OP, You should check out California.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How anyone could not want to live in a state with a landscape like this is beyond me.
http://i63.tinypic.com/jjxq4p.jpg

Looks like California OP, You should check out California.

Pic from a WY ranch.
As far as Cali I'd rather stab myself with a dull spork then ever go their again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Montana is a terrible place. No one should come here.
View Quote

Same with Wyoming.  There is a reason they have such low populations.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My company has an office in Laramie, and I would like to work there, but our work is slowing down for sure.

Only other company i can see working for just won a huge contract in Big Sky, which is very temping.

Both would make a great choice.  My state has gone downhill, and I'm about done with everyone here. If I could move to WY, and never speak to a soul again, I would.

However the GF does not want to move up there because she hates freedom/America apparently. Big city thinkers Eject time yet?
View Quote

Big Sky is pretty.
it's also pretty expensive, as it's a tourist/ski town.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
I hear it's full of Kalifornians. And even worse, lots of Washingtonians.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.  People are rude, land is expensive and hard to come by, very few luxuries when living in a city, slow internet, bad cell phone reception, hunting is vastly over-rated, crime is under-rated, jobs are scarce, and 90% of both states is flat badlands no different than New Mexico or Nevada.

As for the 10%, all those fancy pictures you see are merely that...pictures.  Most of them photoshopped to enhance colors and "beauty".  None of it actually looks like that.  It's rugged mountains.  

Why in the world anyone would move there is beyond me.  Winters are miserably cold, summers are garbage, fires are rampant, and you have to deal with all the nimrods that fall into the trap of believing it's pretty...or something.

Take my advice - to the beach.  There's no where good in Montana or Wyoming.

He's not.   It is the truth.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Wyoming is an awful place, no Easterner nor Californian should ever visit Wyoming.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What they use different math there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it is ranked #2 for suicides per capita.

Wyoming is #1.

Says the guy from Connecticut.

What they use different math there?

No. We whack ourselves at a pretty high rate here in Wyo and use guns to do it.

We don't whack each other very often.

Comes with the high level of self determination and independence.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
unless you're in a milita, cook meth or work at wal-mart - either state
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Being born and raised in Montana then moving to work in Wyoming for several years......you should look into North Dakota.
View Quote
....or the Black Hills

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

This guy is trying to deceive you , Montana is spectacular.  Wyoming is the place you would hate moving to. Remember....Montana good, Wyoming bad.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
...I mean do elk make meth or beat the shit out of each other...
View Quote

Only during the rut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With Californians now out numbering the natives of WA, OR, NV, AZ, CO, MT and WY in their own states my commute to work is going to be sweet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Mt and Wyo are being infiltrate by Californians at and alarming rate.

With Californians now out numbering the natives of WA, OR, NV, AZ, CO, MT and WY in their own states my commute to work is going to be sweet!

Yeah theres like no traffic in LA anymore.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, AZ, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Texas are ALL going to VOTE DEMOCRAT this year, because of all the Kalif Commies moving there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.  People are rude, land is expensive and hard to come by, very few luxuries when living in a city, slow internet, bad cell phone reception, hunting is vastly over-rated, crime is under-rated, jobs are scarce, and 90% of both states is flat badlands no different than New Mexico or Nevada.

As for the 10%, all those fancy pictures you see are merely that...pictures.  Most of them photoshopped to enhance colors and "beauty".  None of it actually looks like that.  It's rugged mountains.  

Why in the world anyone would move there is beyond me.  Winters are miserably cold, summers are garbage, fires are rampant, and you have to deal with all the nimrods that fall into the trap of believing it's pretty...or something.

Late Spring through early Fall where I come from is amazing, hunting and fishing are second to none.

Surrounded by 3 mountain ranges I grew in a relatively un-touched place, it's absolutely gorgeous no photoshop needed, and my parents are rich and own a few nice chunks of it.

But I consider myself lucky.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wyoming is #1.

Yup.  I am barely here.  Don't know if I will make it to the weekend. Not kidding.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup.  I am barely here.  Don't know if I will make it to the weekend. Not kidding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wyoming is #1.

I haven't seen the sun for a freak'en week.  

I believe I saw someone post that UW had a snow day yesterday.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wyoming is #1.

It keeps getting colder.  One night it will clear off and freeze the beets.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Some of the only places left with room to breath.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Cody Firearms Museum.  What does Montana have?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been to both, I'd say from my limited experiance Wyoming is best but neither eould be on my list to live in as I'm jot really fond of the cold..
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Custer Battlefield, Glacier, the whole western portion is glorious, WY is just wasteland.  About 8% has something to offer, and you have to pay to stay there for a bit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy gets it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard Chris Ledoux  sing about it, so I got to check out Wyoming before I die.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the pics of scenery on the internet only show the good parts.

A large part of Wyoming is a barren waste land, not a tree for miles, with wind that never stops blowing.  Seriously.  The other part is owned by the Jackson billionaires.
View Quote

Truth.

I lived in WY during the time when the Billionaires were displacing the Millionaires.  

There are two classes in WY.  Servant class and Elite.  What group do you fit into OP?

And then there are winters.  Yikes.  They start in August.....although it can and does snow year round.  Winter is pretty much over by May though so there is that.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wyoming is #1.

The heavy snow took out the power.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Truth.

I lived in WY during the time when the Billionaires were displacing the Millionaires.  

There are two classes in WY.  Servant class and Elite.  What group do you fit into OP?

And then there are winters.  Yikes.  They start in August.....although it can and does snow year round.  Winter is pretty much over by May though so there is that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A large part of Wyoming is a barren waste land, not a tree for miles, with wind that never stops blowing.  Seriously.  The other part is owned by the Jackson billionaires.

Truth.

May?  That's funny, winter isn't over until June at the earliest.  Wyoming is 10 months of winter and 2 months of Spring/Summer.  September comes and I expect snow.  I make sure to cut my firewood in August because I may not get any other chances to get up in the mountains and cut it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
WY and MT are a myth created by Hollywood and the hunting magazines.  There is no there there.
View Quote

It's all a matter of perspective.  If you're into rural living, it's business as usual.  If you're from an urban environment, I would agree that it's highly likely you're in for a rude awakening.

I grew up in a small town where anything was a drive away, as did my wife.  But for finding a job, we'd have cut and run to MT or ID long ago.  The Californians are infiltrating WA and OR at an alarming rate, and what once were at least partially conservative states with the exception of the metropolises of SEA and PDX, are headed down the liberal path in larger portions of the states.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
May?  That's funny, winter isn't over until June at the earliest.  Wyoming is 10 months of winter and 2 months of Spring/Summer.  September comes and I expect snow.  I make sure to cut my firewood in August because I may not get any other chances to get up in the mountains and cut it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Truth.

Yeah, like the Morrison Jeep Trail doesn't open until July 15.  And then take all your clothes.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Looks beautiful, no doubt, but that lasts for about, what, a week?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How anyone could not want to live in a state with a landscape like this is beyond me.
http://i63.tinypic.com/jjxq4p.jpg

Looks beautiful, no doubt, but that lasts for about, what, a week?

Yep.  Six months out of the year you are looking at white, and wind, and more wind.  The logging chain wind indicator is never less than 30 degrees from vertical and more often it is at better than 45 degrees.  

Here is is a bit better.  The scenery is only all white for four months, and the wind indicators are still wind socks and the U.S. flag.  Though they are almost never broken.  (A broken wind sock or flag is when it hangs limp.)

It becomes brown very soon after spring unless irrigated. And, that period lasts four months as well.  We often, however, get a snow shower in June.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It's all a matter of perspective.  If you're into rural living, it's business as usual.  If you're from an urban environment, I would agree that it's highly likely you're in for a rude awakening.

I grew up in a small town where anything was a drive away, as did my wife.  But for finding a job, we'd have cut and run to MT or ID long ago.  The Californians are infiltrating WA and OR at an alarming rate, and what once were at least partially conservative states with the exception of the metropolises of SEA and PDX, are headed down the liberal path in larger portions of the states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WY and MT are a myth created by Hollywood and the hunting magazines.  There is no there there.

I hear ya brother.  My folks were both from WA and I have a lot of cousins there.  It's really gone downhill.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was looking at states with the lowest population density per square mile and Montana and Wyoming are the only two states in CONUS still in single digits.  Surprisingly, Idaho is now No. 8; I remember when it was only beat by Alaska!  Wikipedia says ID has experienced a "tremendous" increase in population in the last several years.

What are the best and worst features of WY and MT?  I googled "scenery" and, man, they almost look identical!
View Quote

Yes, ID is what happens when people start asking "What state has the lowest population" so we can move their.

Your about to fuck up Montana and Wyoming before I can move
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Wyoming is way, way better.  Especially for people moving instead of vacationing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Wyoming does have an Intergalactic Spaceport.  In your face Montana!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Charlie Russell Museum.

Museum of the Rockies.

You cut out the upper Northwest corner of Wyoming the rest is endless miles of prairie.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Charlie Russell Museum.

Museum of the Rockies.

You cut out the upper Northwest corner of Wyoming the rest is endless miles of prairie.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charlie Russell Museum.

Museum of the Rockies.

Don't forget the Museum of the Plains Indian in Browning.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Just moved here, not leaving if I can help it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#48]
No, I will drive from state to state.  No papers required.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#49]
The wind must have taken out the no vacancy sign again. It snowed yesterday......like nine inches (7100 ft ele) You won't like it here very much. No shopping unless Walmart is high class, with in like four + hours of here, no real good eating joints, piss poor BBQ, not really alot of land plots for sale, and if you do want more then a acre or two you will be in the middle of no where a good 30 miles from a Dr Pepper or a pack of smokes at 10 pm. Lots of stuff aint open on Sundays or Saturday afternoons. There arent many high paying jobs unless you bring your own, there arent many good looking women, unless you bring your own. Be ready to drive four hours often to go anywhere with a population greater then 25k except Casper and Cheyenne. There are very few critters, in the sage brush deserts and there aint no fish either All those nuke silos, oil and gas wells, and coal mines make for great back 40 decorations. If you can hack it more then two winter then we might, MIGHT talk to you. Otherwise good fences make good neighbors and close the dam gate pilgram.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

the pioneer mountains.  the beaverhead.  big hole.  gates of the mountains.  glacier.  flathead.  3-7-77.

we win.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top