Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a moderator at a science fiction publisher's web forums, WE certainly don't give that many chances to someone who fails to obey the rules.  Only one time were the moderators overruled about banning someone.  That person later made an ass of themselves to the publisher herself and not only got perma-banned but his special free access to all of their e-books was yanked as well (I forget how he'd gotten it).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It makes me question a site who ostensibly supports the second amendment so vehemently; yet they ignore the first in favor of censor at any given time.  "Their site, their rules etc." is just another name for progressive censorship.  Kudos to RM for stating shit the way he felt.  His valuable contribution to this site is obviously less important than political correctness.  Sad.

Other sites would have shut down this thread a long time ago.

Posting here, getting your position known and staying within the CoC here is fairly easy.

Getting banned actually takes work.

I'm a moderator at a science fiction publisher's web forums, WE certainly don't give that many chances to someone who fails to obey the rules.  Only one time were the moderators overruled about banning someone.  That person later made an ass of themselves to the publisher herself and not only got perma-banned but his special free access to all of their e-books was yanked as well (I forget how he'd gotten it).

Which website? I'm huge about e-books, and generally prefer to buy directly from the publisher rather then something like amazon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i got a warning one time in a thread where someone was asking why the compressed air duster/canned air was locked up at walmart, and i posted a snip-it from drug abuse site about how kids abuse them and the thread got nuked and i had a warning from staff saying

I added a warning to your profile for promoting illegal activities.

-Site Staff

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not see how or why people keep getting themselves locked and or banned.  I am not exactly mild spoken and as far as I can remember I have never gotten a lock, I was warned once maybe twice,  once was for calling some one a Nancy............. the other I dont remember but I think it was from TBK.  I even said mean things to Aimless once and survived.
i got a warning one time in a thread where someone was asking why the compressed air duster/canned air was locked up at walmart, and i posted a snip-it from drug abuse site about how kids abuse them and the thread got nuked and i had a warning from staff saying

-Site Staff

If it was that simple and thats exactly what happened, thats some serious bullshit.

ETA: Record set straight by staff, good warning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The ONLY timeout I've ever gotten was from Aimless in a ROP thread.

Sooooo, avoiding them is a good idea of you cannot be tactful.
View Quote

ROPer threads will be the end of me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You posted a detailed "how to" that contained tips on how to use it properly, what brands to use, how to buy it and the effects you could expect from each hit.  How you thought that was a good idea was beyond me.  You didn't even mention it was a cut-and-paste from a drug forum.  

Implying it was an innocent comment on why it is locked up is a bit disingenuous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not see how or why people keep getting themselves locked and or banned.  I am not exactly mild spoken and as far as I can remember I have never gotten a lock, I was warned once maybe twice,  once was for calling some one a Nancy............. the other I dont remember but I think it was from TBK.  I even said mean things to Aimless once and survived.

-Site Staff

You posted a detailed "how to" that contained tips on how to use it properly, what brands to use, how to buy it and the effects you could expect from each hit.  How you thought that was a good idea was beyond me.  You didn't even mention it was a cut-and-paste from a drug forum.  

Implying it was an innocent comment on why it is locked up is a bit disingenuous.

Details aren't important.  You guys are just mean JBTs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]

don't ever even enter a thread dealing with anything dealing with a particular religion prevalent in the middle east and you'll be ok. otherwise, you'll get a ban.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone knows, if you say your wish outloud, it'll never come true.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just thought of something new for the ARFCOM store.   A BAC interlock keyboard.  If you purchase one, you will be allowed back, provided you use the keyboard (blow in tube every 30 minutes).   If another infraction is incurred, that person is out the cost of the BAC Keyboard and their account.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dave A was let back. What's the statute or limitations? Can we sponsor Monroe into a similar program?

He has had twice the chances Dave_A was given.

I assure you he will not be returning.

I just thought of something new for the ARFCOM store.   A BAC interlock keyboard.  If you purchase one, you will be allowed back, provided you use the keyboard (blow in tube every 30 minutes).   If another infraction is incurred, that person is out the cost of the BAC Keyboard and their account.

Google used to have something like this for Gmail.  You could click a setting if you were prone to drunk emailing people and before it would let you send a message (between certain hours) you had to solve 3 increasingly difficult math problems.  Unfortunately I only ever remembered about this functionality the next day.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Google used to have something like this for Gmail.  You could click a setting if you were prone to drunk emailing people and before it would let you send a message (between certain hours) you had to solve 3 increasingly difficult math problems.  Unfortunately I only ever remembered about this functionality the next day.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dave A was let back. What's the statute or limitations? Can we sponsor Monroe into a similar program?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  

And of course, someone has to reign in the potential chaos...everyday here is like "controlling an explosion."

W/O rules and mods, this place would just turn into a cesspool of vomitous postery...
As it stands, it is almost like that now, though primarily the cats have been herded into the GD section; free to run amuck, stupidly
I think the mods do a fine job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARFCOM is a business and anything that could shine a negative light on the site will likely get you banned.

As members here we just registered guest.

This.  

And of course, someone has to reign in the potential chaos...everyday here is like "controlling an explosion."

W/O rules and mods, this place would just turn into a cesspool of vomitous postery...
As it stands, it is almost like that now, though primarily the cats have been herded into the GD section; free to run amuck, stupidly
I think the mods do a fine job.

I do also . I can't imagine half the crap they have to deal with over and over again .

Of course it's a shame when somebody who is generally well liked gets themselves booted but some times you just have to play by the rules or pay the price
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just scrolling through some old site PMs... I had a little run-in with him. He was unable to discern shades of gray (which in and of itself is not uncommon here) and pushed me to a ridiculous side of the discussion.

Which is stupid and shortsighted - likely traits that lead to his getting bannified.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy crap. Is it really that hard for some people to behave?

I've made it 10k posts and a few years and only gotten one warning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanna guess who had 20, yes twenty, warnings or locks? I cannot believe how many times we broke down and let him back on the site. I think he beats out pubboy and 5subslr5 for most locks and warnings.

I also have 10K although it took me a bit more time , No warnings (as I duck down) but I likely punched "submit" a couple of times when I should have hit "cancel"
Before I hit submit I like to think for a second or two if something I typed out is going to be taken the wrong way by somebody
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Which website? I'm huge about e-books, and generally prefer to buy directly from the publisher rather then something like amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes me question a site who ostensibly supports the second amendment so vehemently; yet they ignore the first in favor of censor at any given time.  "Their site, their rules etc." is just another name for progressive censorship.  Kudos to RM for stating shit the way he felt.  His valuable contribution to this site is obviously less important than political correctness.  Sad.

Posting here, getting your position known and staying within the CoC here is fairly easy.

I've mentioned enough about me and my ex on here that my identity is no secret... Baen Publishing, http://www.baen.com/, their ebook site is http://www.baenebooks.com/.  How I met and got to be friends with John Ringo, David Weber, Tom Kratman, Michael Z. Williamson, Larry Correia, Sarah Hoyt, David Drake, etc...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did most of my college homework drunk, that function could actually be an enabler.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I got a warning for making fun of DKProf.  I said he was goose-loving, wooden-shoe-wearing Dutchman just one too many times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got a warning for making fun of DKProf.  I said he was goose-loving, wooden-shoe-wearing Dutchman just one too many times.
View Quote

he must have been having a bad day, he usually seems like a good sport regarding the goose based memes that have sprung up around him

I am not sure if I have ever gotten a warning, if not I have been here a long time without one, I have never gotten a lock or ban

as another said, RoP threads may well be the end of me
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

he must have been having a bad day, he usually seems like a good sport regarding the goose based memes that have sprung up around him

I am not sure if I have ever gotten a warning, if not I have been here a long time without one, I have never gotten a lock or ban

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He told me I was on his list!

(I'm just joking about receiving an actual warning.  DKProf is indeed a good sport about his heritage and..er...fowl activities.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh, right, your ex wrote some book with/for Ringo or something? I knew you knew him but forgot that part.  

Williamson posts here every once in awhile under his own name. Seems like a nice guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've mentioned enough about me and my ex on here that my identity is no secret... Baen Publishing, http://www.baen.com/, their ebook site is http://www.baenebooks.com/.  How I met and got to be friends with John Ringo, David Weber, Tom Kratman, Michael Z. Williamson, Larry Correia, Sarah Hoyt, David Drake, etc...

Oh, right, your ex wrote some book with/for Ringo or something? I knew you knew him but forgot that part.  

Williamson posts here every once in awhile under his own name. Seems like a nice guy

Look at that list! Rightwing, cismale gendernormative hatemongers, all of them! (except Sarah. She can be cisfemale, I guess.)
Not a decent Social Justice Warrior in the bunch! The puppies, are indeed, sad. Bring on the Huggening!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Let him back.  He was a dick at times but he was honest and called it like it was.  

He didn't pull punches.  I respect that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanna guess who had 20, yes twenty, warnings or locks? I cannot believe how many times we broke down and let him back on the site. I think he beats out pubboy and 5subslr5 for most locks and warnings.

I'm nearing 30k and have zero warnings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is wishing death on the Jihadists not tactful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ONLY timeout I've ever gotten was from Aimless in a ROP thread.

Sooooo, avoiding them is a good idea of you cannot be tactful.

Is wishing death on the Jihadists not tactful?

That's what I was thinking. The punishment seems severe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know who you are!

Check your facebook.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Site Staff

Buzzkill!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was just scrolling through some old site PMs... I had a little run-in with him. He was unable to discern shades of gray (which in and of itself is not uncommon here) and pushed me to a ridiculous side of the discussion.

Which is stupid and shortsighted - likely traits that lead to his getting bannified.
View Quote

Was he drunk? He liked to get drunk and IM.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've got you beat.  47,000+ without  single warning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around 101k. And a few warnings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm over 30k and have none.

Is that unusual?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm over 30k and have none.

Is that unusual?

Apparently not, I have only had one that I recall.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You're getting up there too  
View Quote

Alright my fine feathered friend. Surely my infamy hasn't gone unnoticed...I'm getting pretty close to a ban myself, correct?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Serious question:  Why in the world would anyone be "proud" that have had a lot of warnings and are near a ban?
View Quote

For love of evil, my friend. I pity that you have not felt the sweet embrace of immorality and vile chaos. There is a savage beauty to taking the villainous path.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe you have ever run afoul of the powers that be
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Three of them, I know at least two hit the NYT extended bestseller list, which caused much drama and butthurt from a more liberal author who then publicly disassociated herself from the publisher (but is now back working with them, after Jim Baen died).

Mike loves trolling the leftists, he's less subtle about it than Larry...  I'll be seeing him tomorrow evening at a convention in Virginia, along with Dan and Sarah Hoyt.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Serious question:  Why in the world would anyone be "proud" that have had a lot of warnings and are near a ban?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're getting up there too  

Alright my fine feathered friend. Surely my infamy hasn't gone unnoticed...I'm getting pretty close to a ban myself, correct?

come on, OP...street creds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i find it hard to believer yo have ever run afoul of the powers that be
View Quote

Actually,  it's been awhile,  and the warning fot calling Mike Huckabee a whore was BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Actually,  it's been awhile,  and the warning fot calling Mike Huckabee a whore was BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i find it hard to believe you have ever run afoul of the powers that be

Since when are public figure not fair game
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i find it hard to believe you have ever run afoul of the powers that be

It was in the NRA forum. Apparently it has different rules.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Site Staff

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Monroe would literally give the shirt off his back to anyone on here. He was the first person I called when my Dad died. I knew I could hear kind words and get support from him. During Sandy he wanted to drive up to my place with gas and a generator. Prayed with me on the phone during several rough spots in my life. Deeply saddens me on this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Apart from what might have transpired here; RM is a good man, make no mistake about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#47]
See, we do need a "We don't say" campaign, like Duke's.

We don't endorse genocide because  ________

We don't make goat rape jokes because _______

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have had several friends thrown off arfcom by other staff members. Some people just cannot control themselves with a key broad in front of them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apart from what might have transpired here; RM is a good man, make no mistake about it.
I have had several friends thrown off arfcom by other staff members. Some people just cannot control themselves with a key broad in front of them.  

You get the right chick in front of me and I'll lose control too!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top