Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2015 8:11:58 PM EDT
Roofs age. I understand that there is a life span to it all. I'm being told 15 years is about it as I get bid on repairs for multiple leaks exposed recently by unseasonal rains. I was lucky to get folks out to assess.

Step 1 - spend 2k to fix the leaks before more damage is done immediately
Step 2 - when do I say fuck repairs and get a return on my investment, meaning new roof and do they do wood or just reshingle

I'm told my roof would take 2-3 days with a quality crew. Very complex and 45 degrees.

When it rains it pours cash. Ugg. The guess from roof repair company rep was 20k. That only an off the cuff guess verbally when he mentioned the roof is at the end of its life. He was not trying to sell me a new roof. Not directly anyway. Roof and house age is 16 years.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait for a hail storm and call your insurance
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Roofs age. I understand that there is a life span to it all. I'm being told 15 years is about it as I get bid on repairs for multiple leaks exposed recently by unseasonal rains. I was lucky to get folks out to assess.

Step 2 - when do I say fuck repairs and get a return on my investment, meaning new roof and do they do wood or just reshingle

I'm told my roof would take 2-3 days with a quality crew. Very complex and 45 degrees.

When it rains it pours cash. Ugg. The guess from roof repair company rep was 20k. That only an off the cuff guess verbally when he mentioned the roof is at the end of its life. He was not trying to sell me a new roof. Not directly anyway. Roof and house age is 16 years.
View Quote

I've only replaced one roof and it was because a hurricane decided that I didn't need it any longer.

It only took one day to replace, but there were at least a dozen Mexicans up there.

No leaks or problems in the last ten years.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Repairs are Band-Aids. Buy once, cry once and all that. Tear off completely, replace any damaged sheeting, and replace drip edge(if damaged),ice shield, tar paper, then top with quality architecural shingles. I spent $13k on mine last year, then another $5k doing my rental house myself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the quality of the shingles. Are they comp or tile or what? Most comp roofs should last at minimum 20 years
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've laid in bed before listening to the pounding on the roof as they get an early start.

A crew comes in to shovel off the old shingles and disposes of them.  Then it rains and they have to put a tarp over your house, which leaks anyway.

After it quits raining, the roofing crew comes out and nails the new shingles on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I had steel roofing installed on top of the existing shingles.  $6500 about 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
when the roof doesn't work anymore.

it entails... a new roof.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I can neither confirm nor deny I have read this post.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go up on roof with broom, bang roof with stick end of broom, get new roof, get dropped from insurance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Architectural shingles are best shingles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I had 2 layers on mine. Gravel and pebbles would regularly wash out my downspouts. Upper layer was curling. All indicate time for a new roof. Virtually ALL of my roof sheathing had to be replaced and it was caught by a good contractor on the bid. 20 year architectral shingles, roof vents and sheathing cost me 8500 bucks, which was very fair considering Im on LI. Get lots of bids and check them. Roofing contractors are notoriously shady and are in the same league as chimney crews
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoa - slam fire double tap
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
when the roof doesn't work anymore.

it entails... a new roof.
View Quote

Yah know there is a lot of wisdom in this. I'm trying to determine the breaking point between buying time with repairs and just saying fuck it.  Gimme a new roof, full bore.

But fuck. How long can one expect a roof to last?  And if it's done what should I expect for the plywood?  

To me a new roof means a new roof. Not just shingles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Leaks tend to happen around accessories and interruptions in the roof, like vents, chimneys, and pipe jacks.

Your roof likely still has several years left in it, and likely only needs some flashing work.  

If shingles are missing or there are wide open areas, that's different.

$2k to "fix some leaks" sounds $1500 too high.

I'm going to assume at least one of your leaks is manifesting in a bathroom?

Plywood is about $50/sheet installed... but you may only need it in soft spots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the rubber skirts on those roof vents get old after many years in the sun and deteriorate, allowing leakage.

You can seal them back up with roofing sealant, silicon caulk, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Go up inside your attic with a good light and have a look around.  You can tell the damaged wood from the bad. That'll give you a better idea of the damage.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
there are so many variables that affect shingle life; the quality of the sheathing and under layer and how this was installed, quality of shingles and rating, quality of shingle install, ventilation, region, wind, sun, ice, etc.
there is no easy answer.  I have seen them fail after 5 years (poor install) and last 30+ years
mine is going on 22 years and still has a lot of life left.  mains reasons for my roof being in such good shape is I installed it and the sun hits my roof less than 50% of the day.  my roof is heavily shaded by trees.
so unless you can answer some of the questions or I could look your house, I cannot provide a quality answer.
hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
there are so many variables that affect shingle life; the quality of the sheathing and under layer and how this was installed, quality of shingles and rating, quality of shingle install, ventilation, region, wind, sun, ice, etc.
there is no easy answer.  I have seen them fail after 5 years (poor install) and last 30+ years
mine is going on 22 years and still has a lot of life left.  mains reasons for my roof being in such good shape is I installed it and the sun hits my roof less than 50% of the day.  my roof is heavily shaded by trees.
so unless you can answer some of the questions or I could look your house, I cannot provide a quality answer.
hope this helps
View Quote

Mine is in full sun all the time and is 29 years old, and I need to replace it this year or next..

My folks' house was built in the '50s.
We layed a layer over original  shingles in 1981, still no leaks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote for Northern Virginia -  Single Family House (around 760 sqft roof) & two car garage (around 460 sqft) -

Roof is currently 22 years old and has two leaks. Work will be completed in one day.

Remove 1 layer of shingles on single family home down to decking.

Inspect and replace decking as needed (refer to wood clause at bottom). Install (as per Manufacturers' specifications):

CertainTeed Winterguard ice and water-shield and aluminum drip edge on eaves.

Roofers' Select premium underlayment on remaining deck.

Flash walls and chimney with Winterguard and aluminum.

Laced valleys with Winterguard.

Lifetime Pipe collars over vent pipes, sealed with Vulkem sealant.

CertainTeed Shingle over hidden ridge vent on all 3 ridges.

15 year workmanship warranty.

CertainTeed Class -A fiberglass based asphalt shingles, starters, and ridge caps installed with galvanized nails.

Reset flue and storm collar.

Haul away all job debris

Run magnet over work area

CertainTeed LandMark (dimensional) = $9,985.00

This contract assumes that the above materials will be applied over sound sheathing or other materials. ********* will replace any rotten materials prior to the materials application contained by this contract according to the following prices, which are not included in the prices set forth in this contract: Any rotten sheathing found will be replaced on a material and labor basis at $2.00 per S/F (1/2" CD( plywood) & $2.30 per S/F (1/2" FRT plywood). W' sheathing will be replaced at $4.10 per L/F (Ix6 -Ix8) and $8.20 per L/F (Ix10-1x12). Rotted fascia (Ix6-1x8) will be replaced with wood trim primed White at $8.20 per VF (with gutter replacement) or $10.75 per L/F (if gutters are to be removed and reinstalled).
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Leaks tend to happen around accessories and interruptions in the roof, like vents, chimneys, and pipe jacks.

Your roof likely still has several years left in it, and likely only needs some flashing work.  

redo natural gas exabust, flashing and seal 500, source of leak. 1/4.
Redo bay windo flashing and sealing and shingle, major leak and cause of interior damage along with above.   Source 2/4.
Gutter returns that are digging into roof. To fix those 1590 bucks. .4 of them.  I can see the damage.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Satellite dishes screw up a roof too. They screw them into the shingles and apply some silicone around the screws. Then the wind blows the dish back and forth over the years, causing the screws to shift and leak.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

redo natural gas exabust, flashing and seal 500, source of leak. 1/4.

Redo bay windo flashing and sealing and shingle, major leak and cause of interior damage along with above.   Source 2/4.

Gutter returns that are digging into roof. To fix those 1590 bucks. .4 of them.  I can see the damage.

Price seems high.  Need pictures.

You should consult another company.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had mine replaced twice due to hail damage. The first time we coughed up a little extra for ridge vents and solar powered attic fans.

A good roofer won't stack shingles.

The should remove all the shingles and tar paper and get down to the bare plywood. The plywood doesn't need to be replaced unless it is rotted or soft.

They'll redo all the flashing and sealant around vents and pipes and the drip edge around the outside edge. We got the 25 year textured asphalt stuff so I expect it to last 25 years unless it gets hailed on again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
this makes zero sense.  16 years old?  come on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Ours failed at roughly 20 years.  We went with metal this time and will have to do maintenance somewhere around fifteen years.  But the roof should last forty years or so and that means it's the last roof I'm buying.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for dissecting the quotes. I have multiple bids coming.  Repair or replace. I've got lots of problems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've had mine replaced twice due to hail damage. The first time we coughed up a little extra for ridge vents and solar powered attic fans.

The should remove all the shingles and tar paper and get down to the bare plywood. The plywood doesn't need to be replaced unless it is rotted or soft.

They'll redo all the flashing and sealant around vents and pipes and the drip edge around the outside edge. We got the 25 year textured asphalt stuff so I expect it to last 25 years unless it gets hailed on again.

View Quote

You put three-tab shingles back on?

Ick
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ick

Yep, they are very standard throughout my neighborhood. I'm not going to pay extra to gild the lily.

Oh, maybe they are architectural, they look like this. Almost the same color too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]

I had 25 year shingles on my roof and it lasted 23 years.  It cost me $11,660 for a new one.  I got 30 year shingles this time.  they stripped all of my stuff down to the wood ,put new paper down,new flashin,then the shingles.
I have a 12 on 12 pitch and it took 55 squares of shingles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had steel roofing installed on top of the existing shingles.  $6500 about 7 years ago.
View Quote

+1 on metal roofing.
mine was $13.5K last year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
My dad and I redid the concrete tile roof on their house a while ago.

Remove 8,000,000 lbs of tile, strip paper.
Replace paper and flashing around skylights.

Reinstall 8,000,000 lbs of concrete tiles.

Guess what I never, ever want to do again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Guess I'll suck it up and repair the multiple problems. Knowing I'm on borrowed time.

If they find wood/plywood damage I assume they'll just put shingles over and not fix the underlying subroof?  Hell if I'm spending this kind of money on a new roof I would expect repairs if the wood was damaged. Or any other potential problems for that matter where roof meets brick or structure.

I'd even sign off on the extra charge or change order if they find something.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]
So the basic process will be to tear-off the old shingles and underlayment (felt), install new underlayment, and nail on new shingles. They will generally not replace the entire deck during a re-shingle; only areas where the plywood/osb sheathing is warped or rotten.

The fact that your roof is a 12:12 pitch means that they will have to take extra precautions with their fall prevention plan, but a contractor that specializes in residential roofing should be able to handle that easily.

Don't go cheap with 3-tab, get the architectural shingles. They'll generally hold-up better.

Also, if you can't afford to replace the whole system right now then it definitely makes sense to spend the money on temp repairs to stabilize the leak problems until you get the money together. It's better to spend 1500-2000 now and not have to spend 10,000 later for additional interior and roof deck repair.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you. I just don't want to spend this much coin and not have any other underlying problems not fixed if discovered. We plan on staying here a long time. I'd rather do it right for a new roof to be worry free. Ky has trouble with weather via freezing/thawing/freezing rain.

Meaning don't just reshingle any messed up stuff only to be dealt with later and another repair. Do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Worked for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked for me.

I can neither confirm nor deny I hope for hail.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
For those that had a metal roof installed, is it louder in the house when it rains?  Did you get the extra insulation under the metal?
I'm looking at having my 29 year old roof redone.  No leaks yet, but I'm on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For those that had a metal roof installed, is it louder in the house when it rains?  Did you get the extra insulation under the metal?
I'm looking at having my 29 year old roof redone.  No leaks yet, but I'm on borrowed time.
View Quote

It can be louder, depending upon how much insulation you have in the attic. I have standing-seam architectural metal panels on one of my houses and it hardly makes any noise during rain because it's well insulated.

Insulation is generally not added between the deck and metal panel. Architectural panels, which are the common type for residential use, are installed directly over top of the solid roof deck.

It's worth mentioning that if everyone had metal roofs, it would nearly put roofers out of business.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you. I just don't want to spend this much coin and not have any other underlying problems not fixed if discovered. We plan on staying here a long time. I'd rather do it right for a new roof to be worry free. Ky has trouble with weather via freezing/thawing/freezing rain.

Meaning don't just reshingle any messed up stuff only to be dealt with later and another repair. Do it right the first time.
View Quote

On that note, I'd suggest making sure they install a quality self-adhered WIP underlayment before the new shingles go on. I don't know what building code for underlayments is in KY; it may be required anyway... If not though, the modified self-adhered base sheets will provide better protection than normal roofing felt would. It's essentially your last line of defense against leaks if any of the shingles fail, and against ice damage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't feel bad OP, my roof is being replaced in the next week or two.  New Aluminum faux slate interlocking tile system, all new aluminum fascia, three solar powered attic vents, 50 year non prorated transferable warranty.

38 squares total and the cost is just a bit north of $32k.

New 6" leaf guard gutters go on after the roofing is complete for a bit over $6k.

House was built in 2003.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On that note, I'd suggest making sure they install a quality self-adhered WIP underlayment before the new shingles go on. I don't know what building code for underlayments is in KY; it may be required anyway... If not though, the modified self-adhered base sheets will provide better protection than normal roofing felt would. It's essentially your last line of defense against leaks if any of the shingles fail, and against ice damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really appreciate the advice. These are the kinds of questions I need to ask given my area.

The repair quotes specify ice/storm material.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't feel bad OP, my roof is being replaced in the next week or two.  New Aluminum faux slate interlocking tile system, all new aluminum fascia, three solar powered attic vents, 50 year non prorated transferable warranty.

38 squares total and the cost is just a bit north of $32k.

New 6" leaf guard gutters go on after the roofing is complete for a bit over $6k.

House was built in 2003.

View Quote

Ouch. Estimater said the house had gutter shield type stuff previously given the holes every 3 feet or so. Told me with my 45 degree roof they were worthless and probably why it was removed. Rendered the gutters worthless. Water just flowed right over them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the HOA tells me too. It cost us $3500 to get a new roof. Thank goodness for a relatively small house. My dads house was closer to 15k because of the steepness and funky angles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a cement tile roof with 50 year warranty. I don't ever plan on replacing it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't tell anyone, but I work for one of the largest roofing manufacturers in the world. When a tornado told my shingle roof to fuck off, I replaced with metal. Everyone needs 50 year architectural shingles at a minimum. Get a warranty too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't tell anyone, but I work for one of the largest roofing manufacturers in the world. When a tornado told my shingle roof to fuck off, I replaced with metal. Everyone needs 50 year architectural shingles at a minimum. Get a warranty too.
View Quote

Lol.

Eta: 50 year shingles? I think they call those "slate".    
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I really appreciate the advice. These are the kinds of questions I need to ask given my area.

The repair quotes specify ice/storm material.
View Quote

Pretty sure they will only put the ice shield to minimum code. Up here that is one width, which barely reached the wall (due to the roof overhang). We did more, and the peak. You want to go past the wall and well into heated space. If you have problem with ice, it will back up well under the edge of the roof. I've seen pictures of ice dams up several feet beyond the wall and waaaaay beyond where many people stop the ice shield. But maybe you have better codes and contractors and crews.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Architectural shingles are best shingles.
View Quote

Arc80
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yep, they are very standard throughout my neighborhood. I'm not going to pay extra to gild the lily.

Oh, maybe they are architectural, they look like this. Almost the same color too.

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/BuildingMaterials/IKO/ProductLarge/ikolam_scutchrgreysw.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ick

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/BuildingMaterials/IKO/ProductLarge/ikolam_scutchrgreysw.jpg

Those are the good ones.  Carry on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top