BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I work in commercial automation of HVAC systems.

Door Locks - You can be notified when your kids get home from school with a text message and photo from security cam at front door.
Thermostat- Change the thermostat setting anywhere you are with your phone. You could also do more monitoring with sensors on the fan, condensing unit, and measure supply temperature. If you see anything out of the ordinary you can investigate.
Water Sensors- They detect major water leaks and shut off water to the house.
Sprinkler System- If it's raining it can turn off the sprinkler system.
Solar Panel Monitoring- If your house is equipped with solar panels you can monitor their output.

You can do anything you want really. Want the entry lights in the house to come on when the garage door opens? Want the garage door to close automatically when you leave the house and notify you if the door doesn't close?

A coworker took one of our controllers and automated his house. He even put a valve on the shower line, so when his teenage kids took too long of a shower he could turn their water off.

Crestron is a big home automation company. I'm too poor to use their stuff. I'm trying to get one of our controllers and do some of my own programming. If you just want to monitor your thermostat there are several wifi ones out now. I like the EcoBee thermostats. Nest just has good advertising. The Ecobee is way better than the Nest. For under $150 Honeywell has a wifi thermostat.
View Quote

Control4 is a much more cost effective option to Crestron and is a great system.

Honeywell makes a line of products for their Tuxedo system which work really well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've looked at some home automation products and for the life of me I can't imagine the products being at all useful.

I have a security system, timer outside lights... I considered maybe putting something together so that when I walked around the house the music could follow me from room to room.  It didn't seem worth the trouble.

So what are some examples of home automation you find useful?
View Quote

if you have to ask, it's probably not for you.  

i built the hardware, coded the firmware, and wrote the software for my household automation system.  it does cool stuff that i want it to do.  it probably does stuff someone else would consider stupid or perhaps OCD.   the most important facet for me is not "control" -- it's instrumentation.  and i don't have to do anything with the collected data if i don't want or need to.  but when i want to know something, it's there.  for example, i can dig a bit, parse a bit, and tell you if my A/C is less efficient this year compared to last year (this is easily done by measuring and recording the temperatures at the blower plenum inlet and outlet).   detached workshop door open past 11pm? text message to my iphone and blink a red LED in the bedroom.  same with garage.  car entering driveway?  courtesy beep in the house.  in addition: if any TV is on, an IR transmitter enables picture-in-picture, the view of the driveway comes up in the main screen and the PIP now contains the show i was watching.  one button on the remote dismisses the PIP or it will time out 15 seconds later.  

that kind of stuff.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think it's just novelty for folks that want to live like the Jetsons

I can't imagine why you'd want to get an email from your refrigerator, or let a hacker unlock your front door
View Quote

People thought computers were dumb, buying things online would never work and cell phones were only for the rich. Heck, not that long ago people wouldn't have believed that everyone would be using plastic instead of cash.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What's the point with remotely controlling the temperature of your home?
By definition you're not there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've looked at some home automation products and for the life of me I can't imagine the products being at all useful.

I have a security system, timer outside lights... I considered maybe putting something together so that when I walked around the house the music could follow me from room to room.  It didn't seem worth the trouble.

My friend has a phone app that he can control his heating and air conditioning from. Saves him quite a bit in his big house on gas and electric.

Really?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friend has a phone app that he can control his heating and air conditioning from. Saves him quite a bit in his big house on gas and electric.

Really?

Big Thinkers(tm).

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use an HAI/Leviton Omni Pro II controller/security panel

I use the HAI RC thermostats (3)

For lights I use UPB (approximately 70+ units)

For locks I use Yale Zigbee.

Distributed audio is the HAI HiFi2.

Sprinklers are controlled by the Omni through a Rain8 UPB

I have Vivotek and Brickcom IP cameras, and a Thecus NAS and 24 port POE gigabit switch.

I use a few HAI wireless sensors but I prefer to use wired where I can.

I use the Haiku IOS app and HAI 5.7e touchscreens

Most of the programming is in the Omni itself which is very stable.

It has UPB and zigbee interfaces, and a serial email board

I like UPB for lighting because the switches operate independently of a master controller, which takes processing off the controller.  But they are also interactive with the Omni which can send and receive UPB commands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home automation is actually home integration.

Security system, the contacts on doors and windowas are also used for automation tasks.

When you change modes on the security system, it changes lights and HVAC settings, locks doors, closes the garage door, warns you if exterior doors or windows are still open.

An alarm sends other signals

Burglar alarm: all lights come on except for the Master Bedroom which go off if on, all fans in the house turn off, the driveway light blinks to attract police.

Fire alarm: all lights come, all exhaust fans in the house turn on to remove smoke, HVAC goes off to prevent spread of smoke, the driveway light blinks to attract fire.

Flooding alarm:  secures master water valve and water heater power

Freeze alarm: Secures master water valve and water heater power, increases HVAC heat setpoints

IP cameras send e-mails with snaps when they detect motion in driveway, or in premises

Security system sends e-mail/text messages for a variety of events.

Open a closet door, the light goes on automatically, and off when the door closes.

Walk in the laundry room with your hands full, the lights go on and turn off when you leave.

The phone rings or someone rings the door bell and the volume on the sound system mutes.

It starts raining and the sprinklers go off, they stay off for a number of days relative to the amount of rain received.

Vehicle sensors give notice when a car enters driveway, brightens lights at night, send text message if you aren't home.

Press one light switch and a bank of lights go on at various levels.

Program reminders for filter replacements, HVAC, Water, refrigerator, and smoke detector battery.

Operate Christmas lights on a schedule.  The outlets are only hot during the period 1 Nov to 15 Jan, just hang the lights and plug them in.

Cell Phone backup for the security system also operates as backup house phone.

Lots of things can be integrated and interactive so one system affects another and the house oeprates holistically rather than a bunch of independent systems..

What protocol(s) do you use to connect all of the devices together? I looked at X-10, Z-Wave, Insteon and cant figure out which one would be best for me, If I were to just choose one.

I use an HAI/Leviton Omni Pro II controller/security panel

I use the HAI RC thermostats (3)

For lights I use UPB (approximately 70+ units)

For locks I use Yale Zigbee.

Distributed audio is the HAI HiFi2.

Sprinklers are controlled by the Omni through a Rain8 UPB

I have Vivotek and Brickcom IP cameras, and a Thecus NAS and 24 port POE gigabit switch.

I use a few HAI wireless sensors but I prefer to use wired where I can.

I use the Haiku IOS app and HAI 5.7e touchscreens

Most of the programming is in the Omni itself which is very stable.

It has UPB and zigbee interfaces, and a serial email board

I like UPB for lighting because the switches operate independently of a master controller, which takes processing off the controller.  But they are also interactive with the Omni which can send and receive UPB commands.

I second for HAI...though I do have some concerns about the long term now that Leviton owns them.  We shall see.

Nice outline -- I haven't tried Haiku, checking it out now.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top