15 hours, I'm getting hungry.

Hey Rick, you gonna show us the meat?

I guess Rick said fuck us all

We aren't wearing Fezs
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of charcoal are you guys using in your WSMs? I've been using Kingsford, but I'm wondering if that has an effect on the flavor of the meat and might want to try something else.
View Quote

Not using a WSM, I have a side barrel smoker, but I use hickory, and other hard woods, but I also use Kingsford for a good coal base at times. Never been an issue with flavor.

ETA, finally after almost 9hrs my pork shoulder was up to temp, pulled it and now letting it sit!

Pulled pork for tomorrow I guess!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

See my pic on the previous page? My smoked meats are more black on the outside than the deep mahogany color I always see from other people.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of charcoal are you guys using in your WSMs? I've been using Kingsford, but I'm wondering if that has an effect on the flavor of the meat and might want to try something else.

I'm using regular blue bag Kingsford briquettes.  I don't really notice any taste differences, and it's cheap and plentiful.

Admittedly though, I've never tried using anything else for long cooks.  I keep some Royal Oak lump on hand for skirt steaks caveman style, otherwise 90% of my grilling and smoking is done with Kingsford.

See my pic on the previous page? My smoked meats are more black on the outside than the deep mahogany color I always see from other people.

Zhukov, are you using mustard to hold your rub on?  I've noticed when I started using yellow mustard on my meat prior to adding rub my bark was much darker.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used Kingsford for awhile but switched to Royal Pak lump. Burns a little hotter but I like the smell more and results are fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I lit the smoker with the Minion method, I just didn't have enough charcoal in there.  There was enough unlit charcoal to fill the fire ring up about a quarter of the way, then I dumped just short of a full chimney of lit coals on top of that.  Me being lazy, using up the last bit of charcoal I had with me on the porch instead of walking not even ten or fifteen yards to my work shop to get another bag that night.

I've run for an easy 12-14 hours filling the fire ring up about half way and dumping a full chimney of lit coals on them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did a brisket this weekend as well.  14 lb'er or so, biggest one I've tried cooking so far.  I started it Saturday at around 11PM.  I underestimated and my smoker ran of out fuel overnight, cooker temp was 170ish and meat temp was 140 when I woke up yesterday morning.  I added about a chimney and a half and that took me the rest of the way up to about 203ish four or five hours later.

http://i.imgur.com/vRkJkMU.jpg

How did you have your coals? I use the snake method and it went all night steady at 225. Started at 10, Woke up at 6 AM to check and it still had at least an ours worth left. Addded some more and went bakc inside. Temps stayed steady all day and burned slow.

I lit the smoker with the Minion method, I just didn't have enough charcoal in there.  There was enough unlit charcoal to fill the fire ring up about a quarter of the way, then I dumped just short of a full chimney of lit coals on top of that.  Me being lazy, using up the last bit of charcoal I had with me on the porch instead of walking not even ten or fifteen yards to my work shop to get another bag that night.

I've run for an easy 12-14 hours filling the fire ring up about half way and dumping a full chimney of lit coals on them.

Cool I might get an actual smoker one day. Still using the Kettle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
i did 2 7 pound butts, a slab of baby backs, some sausage, and 5 eggs on saturday. did the eggs for potato salad. i heard they took some smoke but i couldnt taste much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I went 12 hours and it finally broke the stall.
At 1 pm it was done. 13 total hours of smoking.

I let it rest until 4 then the bone fell out and it was ever so tasty.

Next time Im smoking with a auto smoker (Traeger) or Im doing it for 5-6 then into the oven.

Longest shoulder I have ever smoked.

Ill post a pic of lunch later today. Leftovers but who cares its pork, still damn tasty.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
I use the cowboy charcoal or Stubb to start it.

The regular Kingsford is good, but I get a much better taste using the above.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use the cowboy charcoal or Stubb to start it.    The regular Kingsford is good, but I get a much better taste using the above.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use the cowboy charcoal or Stubb to start it.    The regular Kingsford is good, but I get a much better taste using the above.

Same, only use real lump charcoal, not briquettes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you smoke it for 6-8 then change over to strictly charcoal to get it over the stall?

I usually take mine out and put it in the grill or oven to get it over.

Yesterday I just left it on and it took much longer. I really dont see any flavor difference.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
2 lbs of sausage and a crap ton of hatch chiles
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
For you guys with WSM, when you need to add fuel do you add it thru the access door or separate the unit and refill the base again?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Did a rack of baby back ribs and a whole chicken in my WSM with pecan wood. Both were delicious. ribs didn't have much of a smoke ring though and didn't taste quite as smoky as I was expecting. Also the chicken was done after just 1.5 hrs. I have a lot to learn!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Sundays Brisket. Took 18 hours. Perhaps a little too tender but I cna live with too tender vs leather. Made a ton of burnt ends. Did some with more s&p, some with melted pepper jelly brushed on, and some with reduced root beer. All of course in the brisket juices as  a base.  The root beer reduction was a hit. Brushed on lightly after a second smoking.

Sure makes lunches for the rest of the week easier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Eating yesterdays shoulder tonight, after smoking it so long as I did I will never cheat with a slow cooker again.
It was lot of work and I misjudged the time frame required, but hell it is worth the effort!

Best pulled pork I have had!

Also I love these threads, learn something new each time!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Local grocery store chain has been having these crazy anniversary sales..chicken leg quarters for 1.90 for 10lb bag..pork butt for 99cents a pound..country ribs same price...now the freezer is stocked and im liking the idea of getting a smoker..if im just starting out are the $40 walmart smokers ok or am i better off with something else?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Local grocery store chain has been having these crazy anniversary sales..chicken leg quarters for 1.90 for 10lb bag..pork butt for 99cents a pound..country ribs same price...now the freezer is stocked and im liking the idea of getting a smoker..if im just starting out are the $40 walmart smokers ok or am i better off with something else?
View Quote

I am using a Weber Kettle grill. If you do your part it will do its. Nowhere as hard as I thought it would be. Sure a dedicated smoker will be nice but I  like being able to also sear up chops and steaks after pulling the smoked goods.

I might get a  cajun bandit later
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The cheeseball smokers are difficult to maintain temperatures with and will prove frustrating. The cheapest smoker I'd recommend would be a Weber Smokey Mountain, 18" or 22.5"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cheeseball smokers are difficult to maintain temperatures with and will prove frustrating. The cheapest smoker I'd recommend would be a Weber Smokey Mountain, 18" or 22.5"

I'll second this. I bought a small offset smoker from Academy and it is almost impossible to maintain a constant temp in it. I have a Weber clone but have not tried to smoke anything in it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am using a Weber Kettle grill. If you do your part it will do its. Nowhere as hard as I thought it would be. Sure a dedicated smoker will be nice but I  like being able to also sear up chops and steaks after pulling the smoked goods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're on a tight budget buy a Weber Kettle and order the "Smokenator" accessory.  It will make any smoked food you can think of and do as good a job as pretty much any smoker out there if you do your part.  
Smokenator makes one for both  the 22in or 18in Weber.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you're on a tight budget buy a Weber Kettle and order the "Smokenator" accessory.  It will make any smoked food you can think of and do as good a job as pretty much any smoker out there if you do your part.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the Kettle and Smokenator combo. My buddy uses that.

I looked at the smokenator but so far using a couple of foil wrapped fire bricks and a small foil pan of water seems to do the same thing. Lately I have been using the snake/fuse method and it works great. Hold temp long and burns slow. I can get about 10-12 hours and only have to rotate the rack every 4 hours or so. I then just add another foot of coals to the  fuse for another 6 hours or  so. Ribs, chicken, brisket, smoked them all on this trusty kettle. What I really like is I can smoke some really thick cold porterhouses at under 200 for about an hour then dump a chimney of  coals in the baskets and sear them up and they are still medium rare. Smoked medium rare butter and garlic seared porterhouse is insane.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I built a smoker/rotisser this spring and managed to smoke one pork butt on it before it was destroyed a week later by a tornado. After all of the time I spent on it, I didn't feel like building another one. My cousin kept bragging about his Big Green Egg, but there was no way I was going to spend $900 or whatever the hell they cost. I did a bunch of research, watched a lot of videos and decided to buy the King Griller Akorn when the local store had a year end close out for $250. This was the best $250 I ever spent.

I have only had this for a month and I have already done pork loins, chicken thighs, stuffed pork chops, a pork butt, and two briskets. Everything has turned out great so far and this thing holds the temp awesome. Once I get the temp where I want it, it will go for hours without any adjusting and I never have to add anymore charcoal.

These are a couple of things I have done in the last week.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I smoked 4 racks of baby backs yesterday. 6 hours with apple wood and hickory.
View Quote

seems like a long time for baby backs
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well I'm 20 hours in on a 14lb brisket, sitting at 192. About to pull and wrap the cook 4 dozen a possem eggs.
View Quote

my 14lb prime brisket over the weekend gave in at 10 hours

temp averaged around 240
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well I'm 20 hours in on a 14lb brisket, sitting at 192. About to pull and wrap the cook 4 dozen a possem eggs.
View Quote

my 14lb prime brisket over the weekend gave in at 11ish hours

temp averaged around 240
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just a small brisket flat.

First time doing brisket so I didnt want to spend a lot just to fuck it up
View Quote

easier with a whole brisket

i found a 14lb prime packer brisket for $40 this weekend
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm thinking about cleaning out my 22wsm this weekend then listing it on craigslist along with a pitmaster IQ
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
I got one of these.

I was able to keep temp but it can be frustrating. Get a good coal base before you start. Also soak the wood chunks for 24 hours and its nice.

I have a stainless steel one Dad has had for 35 years, the grates eventually rusted out.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top