Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Past about $5000 you are only paying for nicer engraving and wood. Up to that level you are paying for increasingly better fit and finish, smoothness of action, reliability, and "liveliness" in the hands. A $400 will mechanically do what a $2000 Silver Pigeon does, but it's like going 0-100 in a Mustang compared to a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
$1000?  That's cheap.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have HEARD that they are built so the barrels have the same POI (IOW each bore axis is not completely parallel with the other), but I have no idea if true.
View Quote

That is referred to as regulation, and it's one reason double guns are spendy. Particularly the rifles.

If it's got automatic ejectors, there are essentially four firing mechanisms in them as well, all working in concert.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I haven't been on here much today, but you win the "stupid statement of the day" award!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices.
A nice semi-auto shotgun is better period.

I haven't been on here much today, but you win the "stupid statement of the day" award!

Not as stupid as one would think...IMO my Benelli Supersport does EVERYTHING better than my friends Purdey, and yes I have shot it, and when he shot my Benelli he said it was very, very nice.

At some point you are paying for badge, is a Bentley twice the car a S class Mercedes is? No, of course not, but you get something else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A good semi auto costs quite a bit more than $1k if you plan on buying one that fits you and then shooting any appreciable volume of shells through it.  

I shoot about 20k rounds a year in sporting clays, 5 stand and FITASC.   I depend on a shotgun tnat fits me, shoots where I look and will go Bang when I need it to.  You can't get that without spending some coin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

Fancy carvings on the stock?  Yes
Uh huh, is that why I put over 250,000 rounds through my Franchi Alcione and sold it for what I paid for it 10 years later? You are paying for quality and durability. You pay extra for fancy engraving.

That must have taken forever shooting 2 at a time.

A good semi-auto is worth $1000.

A 2-shotter?

A good semi auto costs quite a bit more than $1k if you plan on buying one that fits you and then shooting any appreciable volume of shells through it.  

I shoot about 20k rounds a year in sporting clays, 5 stand and FITASC.   I depend on a shotgun tnat fits me, shoots where I look and will go Bang when I need it to.  You can't get that without spending some coin.

Sure, you can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Past about $5000 you are only paying for nicer engraving and wood. Up to that level you are paying for increasingly better fit and finish, smoothness of action, reliability, and "liveliness" in the hands. A $400 will mechanically do what a $2000 Silver Pigeon does, but it's like going 0-100 in a Mustang compared to a Ferrari.
View Quote

A $400 mechanism will not stand up to anywhere near the round count of a SP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.

Factory double release on a my k80.

http://mainetrapshooting.com/factory_dbl_rel1.jpg
View Quote

Krieghoff. I can only dream...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Accuracy? No

Durability? No

Reliability? No

View Quote
completely wrong

put 500,000 rounds through your AR and let me know how it works

My K80 was in nearly perfect condition after 500,000 shots
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thread needs more Krighoff K-80's.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A 2-shotter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accuracy? No

Durability? No

Reliability? No

Uh huh, is that why I put over 250,000 rounds through my Franchi Alcione and sold it for what I paid for it 10 years later? You are paying for quality and durability. You pay extra for fancy engraving.

A 2-shotter?

its easy when you are shooting over 400 rounds a day several days per week

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Has anyone even shot one of the CZ or Yildiz guns to failure? I'm kinda curious as they tend to use aluminum with steel in the wearable parts. Modified boxlocks with monoblock barrels have the capability to last a long time if built right.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
STATUS.  

ONLY THIS.

STATUS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
completely wrong  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

completely wrong  

That's an apples and oranges comparison.

Saami specs
10 gauge 11,000
12 gauge 11,500 (except 3-1/2 in.)
12 gauge 3 1/2 in. 14,000
16 gauge 11,500
20 Gauge 12,000
28 gauge 12,500
.410 Bore 2 1/2 in. 12,500
.410 Bore 3 in. 13,500

.223           55,114 psi

Which type of gun do you think will last longer one that has to endure much more pressure, heat, a higher velocity projectile, and has a rifled barrel or one with lower pressure, less heat, slower velocity projectiles without a rifled barrel?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If one wanted to purchase one of these beasts for about 2500$ what brand/model would one look for?
View Quote

Beretta.   For 2500 you should be able to find a silver pigeon (686) new.  If you want a dedicated clays gun, look for a used 682 (mechanically the same, but built more for competition) 682's were over 4000 new.  I believe they have been replaced by the 692 now.

Brownings are fine also, I personally don't care for them and the higher profile receiver doesn't fit me anyway.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why are they so much?  Seems like you pay over $1000 just to get something considered decent, when that kind of money can get you a good AR.  It seems like more work would go into an AR, but obviously I am missing something.

What is the deal?
View Quote
Aesthetics.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anyone even shot one of the CZ or Yildiz guns to failure? I'm kinda curious as they tend to use aluminum with steel in the wearable parts. Modified boxlocks with monoblock barrels have the capability to last a long time if built right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition to the barrels not being correctly indexed my CZ bobwhite's receiver started warping after 100 rounds.

Turkish steel and labor, a quality O/U or SXS isn't going to happen.

There is supposedly a guy on shotgun world with 5k or so through a CZ with no issue.  I have serious doubts it will last 100-150k a SP will last.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This.

View Quote
flinch much?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In addition to the barrels not being correctly indexed my CZ bobwhite's receiver started warping after 100 rounds.

There is supposedly a guy on shotgun world with 5k or so through a CZ with no issue.  I have serious doubts it will last 100-150k a SP will last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aluminum receiver on the Bobwhite?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, just shitty Turkish steel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why are they so much?  Seems like you pay over $1000 just to get something considered decent, when that kind of money can get you a good AR.  It seems like more work would go into an AR, but obviously I am missing something.

What is the deal?
View Quote

If you're one of those people whose first inclination is to say, "for xxxx I could get a good ar," you'll never get it.  That is akin to saying, for the price of a Havana Churchill Cohiba I could get a carton of swishers.  Stop comparing every firearm to ARs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know this is a little off topic, but I had often wondered what a really expensive shotgun had to offer..

One year at the SHOT Show, we looked at a set of four double barreled Over-Under shotguns from Perazzi.

The entire set cost $400,000.  One 12 gauge, one 20, one 28, and one .410.  They had wood so beautiful it was almost unbelievable.

I picked up the 20 gauge and threw it to my shoulder.  I simply cannot explain how wonderful it fit.  I joked to my buddy, "How could you miss a quail with such a shotgun?"

If money was no object, they would definitely be worth the money.

Found the pics:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69695

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69696

View Quote

I was looking at the same set last year, and a goober walked up and shouldered one of the guns. He said " you think a $100,000 gun would have a recoil pad.". The Perazzi Rep calmly took it away from him and told him " if you buy it sir, we will custom fit it.to you with the recoil pad of your choice. . I laughed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
flinch much?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

flinch much?  

Nope  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Google "Purdey shotguns" if you want to see real coin.  Think more than a house.
View Quote

These guys are local to me.

guns that cost more than my house trade regularly here.  And they make a number of the, in house as well.   A nice blend of old world craftsmanship and art mixed with high tech process and materials.

https://www.csmcspecials.com
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Properly regulated barrels....

And

Beauty.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I think this belongs in this thread. An hour and a half documentary on the history and the crafting of Purdy guns. Actions are so tight that the thickness of a pound note keeps the action from locking up. If you like fine guns, and craftsmanship this is a good video to watch.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's the deal......

You spend $5000 give or take on a K-gun.

But you shoot it every weekend to the tune of 200 rounds at the local club.  

you also take part in registered competitions 6-10x per year.....several hundred rounds each time, and a hundred bucks plus in entry fees, travel costs, and other misc items on the way......

You are pushing literally thousands of dollars of factory or reloaded ammo down your tubes every year.  Now factor in the travel and event costs......the $5000 gun is the smallest part of the equation.

Belive me, I'm completely sympathetic to the issue that if you do not spend $1800 or more on even a lightly used sporting gun, you'll have a gun that either doesn't fit you, or will fall apart.  I'm going through this right now, and it's a real eye opener.  I want the cheaper guns to work, but they won't.   I want to just spend $1000 on a nice new ruger red label, but it won't cut the mustard and I'll struggle with it.   I'm going down this road right now myself, and one gun for skeet and clays will likely suck for trap.  

As far as I can tell the best value going to to the shotgun sports is going to be a new or used beretta auto in a sportig configuration, or search for a good deal on a used beretta or browning.  

One thing that I do notice is that quality O/U's from known brands tend to keep their value, if not increase value.   It's a safe bet that if a Citori isn't your cup of tea, you won't lose much if you decide to sell.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

View Quote

I always have thought of sporting clays O/Us as the height of firearms snobbery, even more than the "Gotta be a Larue or Noveske or you ain't shit" bunch or posers in the AR world.  Owning brand X or Y gun does not mean you're automatically a better shooter.  It just means you have more money to spend on a gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, as I go down this path myself, I'm looking at the new beretta A400 xcel.  These usually sell for about $1600, but have seen them sell new for as low as $1300

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I always have thought of sporting clays O/Us as the height of firearms snobbery, even more than the "Gotta be a Larue or Noveske or you ain't shit" bunch or posers in the AR world.  Owning brand X or Y gun does not mean you're automatically a better shooter.  It just means you have more money to spend on a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Accuracy? No

Durability? No

Reliability? No

Yeah, that's the way I feel about people that buy good tools, trucks, cars, clothes, etc...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

The guys at my club don't really give a fuck what you shoot.    They do appreciate high end guns, but if you show up with a CDNN special, it's not a reflection on anyone.

I'm out there with a rusty Rem 870 express with a glued and taped busted stock next to guys shooting K-80's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
IIRC, a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is $3.5 Million new.  And it doesn't do anything a Smart Car doesn't do too
View Quote

a smart car can't go 200mph+
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I shoot international double trap with a Perazzi MX 2008, can't begin to describe ether difference in words...it just works.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is $3.5 Million new.  And it doesn't do anything a Smart Car doesn't do too

Well it can, it just takes some JATO bottles, baling wire and three rolls of duct tape.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I would love a Red Label, but can not bring myself to spend that on a safe queen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would love a Red Label, but can not bring myself to spend that on a safe queen.
View Quote

Red label is low end for O/U

I still want one.  They have a nice clean look.

Wish ruger could get them right at their price segment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There are some really good Japanese OU's that you can often find well under a grand.
View Quote

Name one.

(unless you're talking used, in which case, I can think of a couple)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why does it have to be a safe queen??
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, fire a pump/auto versus a middlin' decent O/U and you will instantly see why.

I was shooting a 28 gauge 'made' specifically for trap/skeet. I went 100% for the 5-6 rounds through it and all but 1-2 were doubles. It was like a mouse, point and click. And this one wasn't even sized for me. . . .

View Quote

A 28 gauge for trap? I don't think so. Skeet, sure. But, trap? No.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 20 gauge Bobwhite. It's a nice little gun. There's really nothing else as good on the market for the same money. I had a little firing pin trouble but CZ took care of it. There's nothing wrong with the receivers (and yes, they're steel).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Red Labels don't have a good reputation among most clays shooters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Browning XT Trap turned into a safe queen.
No time to shoot trap anymore, so down the road it went for someone else to love.  Paid 1900 for it, sold it 8 years later for 1700.
It was a great gun though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The guys at my club don't really give a fuck what you shoot.    They do appreciate high end guns, but if you show up with a CDNN special, it's not a reflection on anyone.

I'm out there with a rusty Rem 870 express with a glued and taped busted stock next to guys shooting K-80's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

The guy that won every week at my club used a 40's Winchester model 12 with a  plain monte carlo stock and a Simmons rib.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sure, you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy? No
Durability? No
Reliability? No

A 2-shotter?

Sure, you can.

Please, share some specifics.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you can find a basic Classic Doubles 101 that's a great shotgun for under a grand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some really good Japanese OU's that you can often find well under a grand.

If you can find a basic Classic Doubles 101 that's a great shotgun for under a grand.

Grade 1 Browning Superposed.

With careful shopping, you can still find them under $1k.  

Mine was made in 1931 and is still going strong.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
With few exceptions.

$1500-$2500 gets you a gun correctly indexed, a solid receiver expect it to go 100k to 150k rounds with no problems , good over all balance, and pleasing but minimalist aesthetics on the lower end guns.  

$2500-$4500 gets you a gun correctly indexed, a solid receiver, depending on the design some receivers can see 500k for multiple barrel sets with no issues, excellent to wand like balance, and pleasing aesthetics.  Some of the higher end guns in that bracket the wood work and and receiver engraving are works of art.

$4500-$16000 gets you all of the above and starts to branch out into the specialized custom competition guns and guns that are works of art.  Some of the field guns in these categories have engraving that takes years to complete.  The higher end mechanisms in this price are like fine watches.

$16000-$100,000+  The locking mechanisms and craftsmanship goes beyond perfection.  Smithing techniques that take lifetimes to perfect and years to produce a product are used.  Specific engravers are commissioned to do the engraving.  I have heard of some guns taking 10 years plus to engrave.
View Quote

This man gets it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#46]

A friend had DMB build him a pair of O/U's for his driven shooting in England.  I have shot clays with one of them.  Just incredible.  

If you don't understand why, and natter on about your 870, it is likely you will never understand.  

PS I have an 870 to go with my Superposed and my SxS game guns.   I like 'em all, for different reasons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote

A pigeon shooting buddy has a double release on his Perazzi.   I cannot shoot the damn thing.  I understand the reasoning, but I PULL a trigger.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not as stupid as one would think...IMO my Benelli Supersport does EVERYTHING better than my friends Purdey, and yes I have shot it, and when he shot my Benelli he said it was very, very nice.

View Quote

You have a very polite friend.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's an apples and oranges comparison.

Saami specs
10 gauge 11,000
12 gauge 11,500 (except 3-1/2 in.)
12 gauge 3 1/2 in. 14,000
16 gauge 11,500
20 Gauge 12,000
28 gauge 12,500
.410 Bore 2 1/2 in. 12,500
.410 Bore 3 in. 13,500

.223           55,114 psi

Which type of gun do you think will last longer one that has to endure much more pressure, heat, a higher velocity projectile, and has a rifled barrel or one with lower pressure, less heat, slower velocity projectiles without a rifled barrel?

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, you don't actually shoot sporting clays?

Around here it is a bunch of good ol' boys who shoot whatever they happen to own.   There is one old man who kicks ass with his old Stevens 311.   His son shoots a K-80.  No one cares.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top