User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rifle, No. 4.

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/Mk2andMkI.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/Mk2andMkI.jpg</a>

Seems to work okay for the Inuits.

View Quote

As a guy who likes Enfields better than any other standard issue bolt gun in WWI-WWII, I dunno about that. Went hog hunting with my Mk 2 No.4 and got tired of lugging that thing around for miles.

Give me my most glorious M38 Mosin Carbine. Short enough, and fairly accurate for what it is. No bayonet that adds weight. Also, is carbine of motherland of bear. If born from land of bear, can kill bear with most glory. Da.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Stainless Winchester Model 70 or Ruger M77 in 30-06
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I didn't mention a Garand but there is nothing wrong with that choice. About a hundred years ago a Judge moved to Juneau and started hunting bears. At the time he used a 35 Remington semi auto. When he got his hands a a Garand in the late 30's he was totally impressed and never used anything else.

He got so scared on Kodiak Island that he never went back and never told anyone what happened. This is totally unusual cause this guy had major balls, some of his bear stories were pretty hairy.  

Link to his book
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW!

Based on the responses so far, I think we have narrowed down three bolt action rifles ARFCOM members would trust their life with:

• Garand in 30-06

• Remington Model 700 in .300 win mag or .308

• Winchester Model 70 in either 30-06, 300 win mag or .375 HH.............no matter the caliber, it is still a model 70!

Honorable mention to those that would trust their lives to the .22LR if stranded in the Alaskan Bush (serious, not being a dick about it!), I bet a average cargo pocket would hold damn near a 1000 rounds!
Not necessarily in that order!

I didn't mention a Garand but there is nothing wrong with that choice. About a hundred years ago a Judge moved to Juneau and started hunting bears. At the time he used a 35 Remington semi auto. When he got his hands a a Garand in the late 30's he was totally impressed and never used anything else.

He got so scared on Kodiak Island that he never went back and never told anyone what happened. This is totally unusual cause this guy had major balls, some of his bear stories were pretty hairy.  

Link to his book

Thanks, I will look for it in the Library, if I can't find it I will likely buy it used!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
CRF Model 70 chambered for either the 300 Win Mag or the 338 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

details?
View All Quotes

Gibbs imported tons of those made in India chambered for 308 to begin with. They turned many into jungle carbine look alikes.
They made several into all weather carbines for packing that was low maintenance. So they hard chromed them.
Brand new wood and some could be scope sighted. You could still use a scout mount on this one. All got new hard wood stocks.
They replaced the cleaning kit in the butt with a kind of survival kit. Compass fish line hooks fire starter and such.
The muzzle device is also a brake. I think of it as a marine version of the Enfield. Shoots surprisingly well the brake helps on something this short.
200$ at a pawn shop out the door. I really would have paid a lot more for it. I like the idea so much.

Besides I just couldn't pass up a commonwealth gun with a serial # of 1776.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.
View Quote

Have you ever been here?

ETA, and based on the OP's post, why would you assume people wouldn't fabricate traps for small game?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep in mind any big game you kill if not eaten on the spot must be carried or defended from scavengers including bears.
View Quote

Alaska food cache, google it. Or you know, ask a homesteader.

ETA - if a person who is stranded in the AK wilderness for 3 months isn't ingenuitive, what kind of rifle he has is not his only concern. (see Chris McCandless)
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Browning A-bolt in 300 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Win 70 Alaskan in 375h&h magnum.
View Quote
This is good right here

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
700 BDL 30-06
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Being left handed I'm somewhat limited in scope, but of all the guns I could go buy, and afford, off the shelf in a left handed model I think I'd probably take the Ruger Scout rifle.  I don't have one, mainly because I've been hoping they'd release it in 375 Federal.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOW!

Based on the responses so far, I think we have narrowed down three bolt action rifles ARFCOM members would trust their life with:

• Garand in 30-06

• Remington Model 700 in .300 win mag or .308

• Winchester Model 70 in either 30-06, 300 win mag or .375 HH.............no matter the caliber, it is still a model 70!

Honorable mention to those that would trust their lives to the .22LR if stranded in the Alaskan Bush (serious, not being a dick about it!), I bet a average cargo pocket would hold damn near a 1000 rounds!
Not necessarily in that order!

View Quote

Wait, I thought the OP said bolt gun, since when is the Garand a bolt gun?

So, I guess since we're allowed classic, low capacity semi's; I'll take my Chinese SKS with 2 desert tri-color BDU cargo pant pockets full of good 7.62x39 Hornaday A-max rounds on stripper clips.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Winchester M70 Stainless in 30-06 or .375 HH. Either round is effective on game in Alaska and can be found at any hunting cabin you may come across.
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I would dig through the wreckage and seriously think of swapping out for whatever the guide / bush pilot had in there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
British firepower. Accuracy International, that is all.

http://wonderingbrit.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/ai-338.png
View Quote

This and only this
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Model 70 in 30-06
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a 1915 Danzig action that needs a barrel I might have to look into that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Mauser K98k, with the FR8 barrel, and scout scope. I'd wanna change my bullet though. 168 might be a tad light there

I had two of those and with that straight bolt and the welded on site. If I worked the action fast, it would take the skin off the knuckles.
Of my pinky and ring fingers. They are great packing rifles though.
Thats exactly why mine is a K98k with a FR8 barrel, and not an FR8  

I have a 1915 Danzig action that needs a barrel I might have to look into that.

I have an exIDF 98k in 7.62*51

I outshot a friend with a Remington 700 Police with it. Damn thing is a tackdriver
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#18]

That would be my vote.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Ruger 77.  .308
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Any one of these.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stainless Winchester Model 70 or Ruger M77 in 30-06
View Quote

this, every damn day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Browning 300 WSM Hunter topped with a Bushnell 3200 Elite
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure I'd limit myself to a bolt gun.  If that's the only choice, then pretty much any 30-06 or 308 with a low power variable scope.  Personally I'm a Browning and Leopold guy, but any of the bigger names works.

In a survival, live off the land scenario, an over/under rifle/shotgun would be far superior IMHO.  Something like this.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would do nicely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Probably a Rem 700 in 30-06 or 300 Win.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Rem 700 in .308
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#27]
having lived and traipse in ak woods hunting and fishing I have used two rifles.

1895 xlr and ruger mk II in .338 win mag

taken several bull moose with both guns.

the .338 gets the nod.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here is the video that goes with this thread:

ilink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Ze5Kt_r4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Ze5Kt_r4M
View Quote

Now that's funny.

Black people and cold don't get along......
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rem model 7 308
View Quote

Sorry but that's funny too.

I owned one once. Best canoe paddle I ever had.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This without a doubt. Some people have already mentioned somewhat exotic firearms. That's just ridiculous if you're stranded alone for 3 months. It's best to go with something that's simple and proven. It just goes to show that some don't know how to properly plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear some big ass BDU bottoms...I guess I could fit 3 20 round boxes of .308 in my pants.

Probably a Remington 700 PSS with good glass.

This without a doubt. Some people have already mentioned somewhat exotic firearms. That's just ridiculous if you're stranded alone for 3 months. It's best to go with something that's simple and proven. It just goes to show that some don't know how to properly plane.

not knowing how to properly plane is what probably what made them crash in Alaka in the 1st place.  But I agree.

700 PSS with good glass
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You've never seen a bolt 12 gauge?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If i am stranded in the bush you can have all my rifles, all i want is a 12 guage shotgun.

The rules stated "Bolt Gun"

You've never seen a bolt 12 gauge?

BOLT RIFLE was specified people; I'd choose a 12GA as well but that is not an option. I think I'd take my friends Model 7 in 350Mag; it is an amazing shooter. There are 2 of us that would go to war to buy it if he ever wanted to sell it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Kimber Montana chambered in 325 WSM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#33]
A quality 300 win mag of savage / Remington / winchester flavor. With a good good optic - leupold  / NF / etc.

BDL type with back up irons on it as well.

And a good skinning knife with honing stones.

I don't for see needing more then a handful of rounds to bring game down to eat. The rest would be bear defense rounds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Ruger MK 77 stainless,300 win. mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#35]
My Mosin Nagant.

It's accurate, stupid simple, built like a tank, and most likely tested by some poor Russian SOB in a fox hole while being rained/snowed/sleeted on and shot at.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's heavy sarcasm at least as far as NY. I'm closer to rural Canada than NYC
My neighbors are all Amish and I've never seen a subway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I bow out. Everybody carry an elephant gun with ten rounds cuz all you're going to shoot is 10 ft square grizzleys cuz it's AK. Every shot will be perfect and only to drop a charging bear. You only eat moose you trapped  with  bark snares and and clubbed by hand. I'm from ny  and I ride the sub way all day.

Hmmmm.......

That's heavy sarcasm at least as far as NY. I'm closer to rural Canada than NYC
My neighbors are all Amish and I've never seen a subway.

What city?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FR8
View Quote

This .....

Oh if I could hack down an m48 to fr8 length with peep sights..and a micro dot in a scout mount. 792 would be well enough up there I think...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm seeing a consensus among guys with AK under their name, or guys who have spent some time in the woods catchin' small, furry edible things without using a gun (see avatar).

Some of you suggesting .22, I would suggest to spend some more time practicing with stuff like this:

Figure 4 trigger. The workhorse. They can be set many different ways.

The Piute trigger. Simpler to make. Harder to set.

Ojibwa bird snare. Works very well. My cubs built walking sticks with these built in, and a sling shot "Y" at the top. Not very practical, but for a 10yo boy, it was the coolest thing ever.

There. Ya got fish, fowl and game. Go practice.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#39]
My Mossberg MVP .308
I need an updated pic. It wears a Nikon 3-9x40 now.
Small, lightweight. Remove the scope and you have irons.
Mag fed
.308 is "enough". Not ideal, but enough.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

This would be my choice as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

not knowing how to properly plane is what probably what made them crash in Alaka in the 1st place.  But I agree.

700 PSS with good glass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear some big ass BDU bottoms...I guess I could fit 3 20 round boxes of .308 in my pants.

Probably a Remington 700 PSS with good glass.

700 PSS with good glass

I've seen too many extractors break, as well as trigger problems out of 700s to rely on a stock one. Put a Sako extractor and a different trigger and they almost get as good as a 70.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Husqvarna 1651 in .358 Norma Mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Depends.  If it was Sarah's bush, I would probably just take a glock,    But the only true answer is a Mosin 7.62x54 since Alaska is so close to Mother Russia.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Browning X Bolt in 30.06 with a Leupold 3X9 because that is what I have.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rem model 7 308

Perhaps there is something wrong with the operator??? I have killed about 150 deer, 50 to 60 hogs, an elk, a bear, turkeys, etc. with a model 7 out to 450 yards and the only time it has failed has been when I screwed up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My custom CZ 527 M Carbine with shilen 6.5 grendel barrel. Lightweight and capable round that I could put quite a few in my pocket, and the rifle with scope only weighs 7lbs.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Tikka T3 stainless light in .300 Win Mag.

It's just too nice of a gun. Perfect for living in the bush, ultra light but nearly a hbar contour under 1moa on every gun I've seen. Plastic stock that somehow is very rigid with an aluminum slip in insert as a recoil lug. Doesn't need bedding, doesn't need replacement stock, bolt is smooth and very ergonomic. I know most would say I need a bigger caliber, but if I can't kill it with a .300 win mag I probably shouldn't be shooting at it.

Downside is that it kicks like a mule, but what don't in an Alaskan caliber?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm seeing a consensus among guys with AK under their name, or guys who have spent some time in the woods catchin' small, furry edible things without using a gun (see avatar).

Some of you suggesting .22, I would suggest to spend some more time practicing with stuff like this:

http://www.survivalschool.us/wp-content/uploads/large-figure-43.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yoo8r7.png

Ojibwa bird snare. Works very well. My cubs built walking sticks with these built in, and a sling shot "Y" at the top. Not very practical, but for a 10yo boy, it was the coolest thing ever.
http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/images/2008/04/16/18_ojibwa_bird_pole_699.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yAB7KljY-9E/hqdefault.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.survivalschool.us/wp-content/uploads/large-figure-43.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yoo8r7.png

http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/images/2008/04/16/18_ojibwa_bird_pole_699.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yAB7KljY-9E/hqdefault.jpg

The 22 Guys better hope the plane crashes within the city limits of Anchorage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#49]
My M91/59 loaded with soft points
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#50]
In my current physical condition, I'm probably going to die, so I am doing it with a pretty rifle.

.308 on milsurp 98 Mauser.

I would add iron sights, and for a scope, quality 1-4x.

If I need more gun.

.300 Win Mag.   Interarms Mark-X action.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top