BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You do know about hydrostatic shock right? And not every shot is perfect when you're starving?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.
308 won't kill rabbits in AK? Kills em here, dead as fuck.

You like eating bloodshot mush?
You do know you can kill animals with a head shot. Right? And they make these things called bullets in different configurations that don't all act the same way.  

You do know about hydrostatic shock right? And not every shot is perfect when you're starving?

This is Arfcom. We don't make imperfect shots here! Your argument is invalid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah those cannons will be great when your bellys empty and all you see is birds and small game.
View Quote

And that .22 will be great when you're in AK in the SUMMER and happen upon mamma and her cubs.

Without hesitation, it would be a new model Winchester 70 classic SS in .338 winmag with a 1.5-5 or similar glass plus irons.

Snares, deadfalls, fish traps, etc are for food. The gun is to keep from being food and if I'm staying for three months, I'll be able to eat something big (assuming game laws don't apply).
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My dear old Daddy( God rest his soul) grew up in the depression. While a law abiding man, he may gave spoken in theory about shooting big game with .22 rf,it works for more than squirrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're stranded for three months in the Alaskan bush , you'll see plenty of medium game , and will probably consider popping something bigger than a squirrel .

In Alaska , better too big than too small .

My dear old Daddy( God rest his soul) grew up in the depression. While a law abiding man, he may gave spoken in theory about shooting big game with .22 rf,it works for more than squirrels.

not much more... (practically)
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My 30.06 that i can shoot the ears off a rabbit with.
Don't need all those big calibers. You have plenty of time since
your going to in Alaska for three months.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If i am stranded in the bush you can have all my rifles, all i want is a 12 guage shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

308 won't kill rabbits in AK? Kills em here, dead as fuck.

You like eating bloodshot mush?
You do know you can kill animals with a head shot. Right? And they make these things called bullets in different configurations that don't all act the same way.  

Well I can tell ya Sparky, It don't take much hydrostatic shock to poke a hole in a bunnies brain pan. And I have never had a bit of trouble hitting what I aim at. If a man keeps his wits about him, he aint likely to starve.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why? Serious question. I've never hunted there But I guess I just assumed from all the guns called Alaska this or that, they would be good to go. Unreliable?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would much prefer a lever action but if it had to be a bolt gun I would take my Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag
lever action in Alaska? Sorry you could not give me one, and I have only been hunting here for 43 years.  
Why? Serious question. I've never hunted there But I guess I just assumed from all the guns called Alaska this or that, they would be good to go. Unreliable?  
1st choice is a controlled feed mauser type action like the pre64 Winchesters or the newer ones(which are fantastic, my 375 is a newer model and it is THE perfect Alaska rifle)

2nd choice is a quality push feed like a Sako (I used a Sako Deluxe in 338 Winmag for 20 years, changed to 375 H&H after a bear episode)

There is only one scope choice for brush in Alaska: I use Leopold 1.5x5 on my brush guns, trust me you need a huge field of view when shit jumps up 10 yards from you. I have shot game at more than 400 yards with these also so they are very versatile. If I was hunting on open tundra or mountains I would use something else.

Lever actions are too finicky, ice, snow, mud, sand, twigs and human failure to operate it correctly all factor in, recoil is also ridiculous in anything above 30-30

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My 30.06 that i can shoot the ears off a rabbit with.

Don't need all those big calibers. You have plenty of time since

your going to in Alaska for three months.
View Quote
That was my theory. Evidently nothing less than a .22lr20mm cannon combo gun will do the job.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I lived there 19yrs and a .308 did everything I needed. So .308. Can carry more ammo than magnums. Preferably in stainless since I was in a plane crash and may not have oil or cleaning supplies. Definetly want scope and irons, have seen both broken. I'm partial to Rem 700s and Rugers so either of those, light composite stock, with a light profile barrel 22-24".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1st choice is a controlled feed mauser type action like the pre64 Winchesters or the newer ones(which are fantastic, my 375 is a newer model and it is THE perfect Alaska rifle) I agree!
2nd choice is a quality push feed like a Sako (I used a Sako Deluxe in 338 Winmag for 20 years, changed to 375 H&H after a bear episode)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would much prefer a lever action but if it had to be a bolt gun I would take my Winchester Model 70 in .338 Win Mag
lever action in Alaska? Sorry you could not give me one, and I have only been hunting here for 43 years.  
1st choice is a controlled feed mauser type action like the pre64 Winchesters or the newer ones(which are fantastic, my 375 is a newer model and it is THE perfect Alaska rifle) I agree!

There is only one scope choice for brush in Alaska: I use Leopold 1.5x5 on my brush guns, trust me you need a huge field of view when shit jumps up 10 yards from you. I have shot game at more than 400 yards with these also so they are very versatile. If I was hunting on open tundra or mountains I would use something else.

Lever actions are too finicky, ice, snow, mud, sand, twigs and human failure to operate it correctly all factor in, recoil is also ridiculous in anything above 30-30
Thats pretty much exactly why I chose what I did.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And that .22 will be great when you're in AK in the SUMMER and happen upon mamma and her cubs.

Without hesitation, it would be a new model Winchester 70 classic SS in .338 winmag with a 1.5-5 or similar glass plus irons.

Snares, deadfalls, fish traps, etc are for food. The gun is to keep from being food and if I'm staying for three months, I'll be able to eat something big (assuming game laws don't apply).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I'd still take my Swedish Mauser with a bayonet but I agree wholeheartedly with every thing else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Mosin Carbine M44/M38/M91/59

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#13]
My .375-06. It was built for that country.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I would take my A-bolt in 300 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Flare gun might be a good option.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I bow out. Everybody carry an elephant gun with ten rounds cuz all you're going to shoot is 10 ft square grizzleys cuz it's AK. Every shot will be perfect and only to drop a charging bear. You only eat moose you trapped  with  bark snares and and clubbed by hand. I'm from ny  and I ride the sub way all day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ok I bow out. Everybody carry an elephant gun with ten rounds cuz all you're going to shoot is 10 ft square grizzleys cuz it's AK. Every shot will be perfect and only to drop a charging bear. You only eat moose you trapped  with  bark snares and and clubbed by hand. I'm from ny  and I ride the sub way all day.
View Quote
Well shit, why didn't you say so earlier? He's from New York.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
K98 Mauser or 1903 Springfield in original configurations.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Ruger Guide Gun, left hand. It's on the short list.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If i am stranded in the bush you can have all my rifles, all i want is a 12 guage shotgun.
View Quote

See you're mistaking surviving and hunting . All you will do is drop Charging grizzlies with cubs and shoot 2000 lb moose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#21]
German drilling

12ga x2 over 22 k hornet. Just for shits n grins.

Few slugs for defense or big game. Few bird shot for small
game running or flying. 22s for small game sitting still or head
shot on bigger game in a pinch.

[ETA:  yeah it's not a bolt gun, but it's a lot more versatile than any one
bolt gun]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rules stated "Bolt Gun"
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmm.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. If you break the scope, you still have irons

If not, either a 98k,  M1917 .30-06 or an M38 Mosin
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy has it right. There's plenty of food to be had, and you don't need a gun to get it. The gun is there to get rid of things that are higher up the food chain than you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many small parts/tight clearances, AK has some nasty silt that gets in everything. They also have more places to freeze/frost and get stiff, or corrode if everything isn't stainless. No big deal if you can clean and/or lube regularly.
And you will probably fall or drop your rifle at some point, it will hit rock, there are more weaknesses to this on lever guns IME.
Also not usually chambered in rounds suitable for long shots, depending on where you are 400yds is not uncommon, sheep and goats can be stalked but you will work for 400yds sometimes and they may not be there when you get there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#28]
A Baikal in .308 and .22magnum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Something old, from back when triggers were not in little boxes. Pre-64 Winchester comes to mind.

I don't know if any modern bolt-action is worthy of being a survival gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, you cant give up in the Alaska bush

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.......

That's heavy sarcasm at least as far as NY. I'm closer to rural Canada than NYC
My neighbors are all Amish and I've never seen a subway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This guy has it right. There's plenty of food to be had, and you don't need a gun to get it. The gun is there to get rid of things that are higher up the food chain than you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the New York dude is right. He obviously knows wayyyyyy more about hunting and surviving in Alaska, then people who live in Alaska.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Winchester M70 stainless/synthetic in .300 win topped with Leupold 3-9 variable.
View Quote

Also Win 70 but also with iron sights. I'd rather have a 4-16x 50 though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester M70 stainless/synthetic in .300 win topped with Leupold 3-9 variable.

That's a big 10-4, I've had hunts ruined because my optics failed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#35]
98k,  ZF39, pocket full of 8x57

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol.. You people crack me up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, the New York dude is right. He obviously knows wayyyyyy more about hunting and surviving in Alaska, then people who live in Alaska.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm from NYC never left never seen woods and I eat bagel and lox with the Yankees. This is the only truth .y
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Savage FVSR in 22mag. Mil/mil scope with red dot. Pocket full of the finest match ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

What do you mean by "You people"?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What bolt rifle would you wish you had, if your small plane crashed and stranded you (alone) in the Alaska bush for 3 months; with only the rifle on your back and  1 cargo pants pocket full of ammo?

Lets assume its summer, and you did not get badly hurt in the crash.

and Yes, I have been watching a bit of Mountain Man & Alaskan Rail Road tv shows lately
View Quote

CZ550 American in 9.3 x 62. Already own it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#42]
M1903A3 with a Type C stock.

Or a Kar98K.

ETA: Yhea it's basically the same gun except for the 03A3 having better sights and the 98K having, from what I recall, a better safety.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#43]
As much as a big gun would be handier defending yourself from predators. I'd opt for a marlin 983 in 22 magnum. Exposure and starvation is more likely to kill me than an animal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you people plan on shooting In the summer in Alaska..
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thats exactly why mine is a K98k with a FR8 barrel, and not an FR8  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Mauser K98k, with the FR8 barrel, and scout scope. I'd wanna change my bullet though. 168 might be a tad light there

I had two of those and with that straight bolt and the welded on site. If I worked the action fast, it would take the skin off the knuckles.
Of my pinky and ring fingers. They are great packing rifles though.
Thats exactly why mine is a K98k with a FR8 barrel, and not an FR8  

There were two variants of the action used on the FR-8; one of the two had a turned down bolt, but these are in the minority (and are distinct from the ones turned down after importation as well as from the FR-7).  The issue described is not a problem with them, not that one can't replace the sight on an FR-8 (I've seen some decent ghost ring setups).  Great rifles.

Personally, I would be happy with my Steyr 95 short rifle.  It's light enough that I can (and have) carried it all day without noticing it much, balances well, can be grasped at the balance, has a stock that allows it to be used kind of like a walking stick, and shoots potent ammo for its class.  The sights also line up perfectly for me when brought to the shoulder.  I'd bring a mixture of ammo loaded with 250 grain dangerous game solids and 206 grain softpoint boat tailed spitzers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything that tries to eat me.  http://www.adn.com/article/summer-alaska-goes-bears
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Anything that tries to eat me.  http://www.adn.com/article/summer-alaska-goes-bears
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh have a bit of bear sense and you will be ok. Most people get themselves in trouble up here with bears because they don't give them space or are oblivious to bears being In the area.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As much as a big gun would be handier defending yourself from predators. I'd opt for a marlin 983 in 22 magnum. Exposure and starvation is more likely to kill me than an animal.
View Quote

You're from MO obviously you're a city boy like me and don't know about AK .
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marlin used to make a 12g bolt gun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a 12 gauge is off the table since it's not a rifle I am going with a 22mag as well.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top