BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That Tacticool 1911 was way ahead of its time

The US military and Colt played around with 1911 machine pistols for awhile.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Well at least he has good taste.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

IIRC, that was part of the reason .38 super 1911's exist. the .45's were uncontrollable in FA, so colt went to the .38 super. several were submitted to the military for T&E.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not seeing it, but I thought JD liked a BAR with a cut down stock?

Wasn't that Bonnie & Clyde, who were the huge BAR fans?

Yep.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/images/dillenger.jpg
Their selection of firearms makes sense ...common firearms in use at the time ......well maybe not the full auto 1911.
Just when I thought I had purchased all the weapons my heart might desire................this FBI picture inspires me to drive on.

This can't be ALL of the gangs weapons ...can it ?

Thanks for posting this pic. Dillinger certainly knew his weapons and had good taste.

I watched Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" yesterday and thought it was very well done. Many of these weapons appear in the film.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
whew that double barreled 12 gauge would be a bitch to fire.

they called that kind of gun a 'whippet", and it was a big favorite of crooks back then, especially for murder

turns out that a 12 ga gets the job done, in spite of arfcom wisdom on the subject
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/images/dillenger.jpg
Their selection of firearms makes sense ...common firearms in use at the time ......well maybe not the full auto 1911.
Just when I thought I had purchased all the weapons my heart might desire................this FBI picture inspires me to drive on.

This can't be ALL of the gangs weapons ...can it ?

No....it's just a few of them. IIRC the one of the 1903 380 acp Colt and the Colt 25 acp where found on Dillinger when he was shot. The Colt/Lehman 38 super was Nelson's found in the car he left at the shoot out with the FBI. The modified Winchester 07 was Homer Van Meters and is missing a Thompson foregrip. That gun was also a Lehman "special' made for Van Meter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]
OOPS.....wrong post
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they called that kind of gun a 'whippet", and it was a big favorite of crooks back then, especially for murder

turns out that a 12 ga gets the job done, in spite of arfcom wisdom on the subject

That gun is 20 gauge Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun model A

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]

A Colt Army Special revolver used by East Chicago, Ind., police Capt. Timothy A. O'Neil to fatally shoot John Dillinger could be yours for what auctioneers say may be much more than their conservative $8,000 to $12,000 estimate.
The .38-caliber, 5-inch-barrel gun and its holster will be auctioned at noon July 28 –– six days after the 75th anniversary of Dillinger's fatal shooting –– at Chicago's Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, 1338 W. Lake. .

Our Mainstream Media and Hollywood movie types disagree with the historical account and identify this as being the real weapon that killed JD

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LINK

Sold for:  $19,120.00  
http://www.worthpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/dillingers-wooden-gun-1024x432.jpg

It would have been cool if the "jail break" gun  was in the FBI pic.........Gee, I wonder why the FBI would leave this Dillinger gang gun out of this pic    

I know the guy that bought this...Said that he wanted it ever since he was a kid...My wife would have killed me...
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LINK

http://www.worthpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/dillingers-wooden-gun-1024x432.jpg

It would have been cool if the "jail break" gun  was in the FBI pic.........Gee, I wonder why the FBI would leave this Dillinger gang gun out of this pic    

I know the guy that bought this...Said that he wanted it ever since he was a kid...My wife would have killed me...
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

You and me both brother................................ME: Uh Honey look what I just paid $19,120 for, it's John Dil.......HER: WHAT ? Uh,  Did you get it at the Crackerbarrel ?????

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Dang, Hollywood would have to alter those guns to make them more realistic looking.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like typical guns of the period:

Smith & Wesson M1917
Smith & Wesson Model 10
Thompson M1921 Tommy Gun
2 Browning Semi-Auto shotguns
Stevens single shot 12 ga.
Colt M1908 vest pistol
5 Colt 1911 pistols, including a full auto modified one, chambered in .38 Super
Colt Woodsman .22
2 Colt M1908 .380 pistols
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Smith & Wesson M1917
Smith & Wesson Model 10
Thompson M1921 Tommy Gun
Colt M1908 vest pistol
Colt Woodsman .22

Some modified but all  very common for sure

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#18]

TOP: Model 1887 10 gauge "riot gun"
MIDDLE: Remington Model 11 "sawed-off"
BOTTOM: Bonnie's Remington "Whipit" gun

Clyde still sitting in the death car moments after the ambush
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Dillinger did have a sense of humor.............hence the carving
doesn't show in the pic but a piece of copper tubing is inserted to look like a barrel ......also brads are put on top to look like sights
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
HAMMOND, IN When The John Dillinger Museum opened at 10 a.m. Wednesday, there already were visitors waiting to see the three Dillinger guns on special display.

Story Here

Three Wooden Guns Were made by JD. One of the others in shown above

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#21]
COOL THREAD
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Smith & Wesson M1917

Smith & Wesson Model 10

Thompson M1921 Tommy Gun

Colt M1908 vest pistol

Colt Woodsman .22

The sawed off semi-auto shotgun is a remington model 11 not a browning

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool thread
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When we went to see Public Enemies,I had to carry appropriately.

In my pocket,of course.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/colt.jpg

That's awesome.  I've always wanted one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Some updated Information and Pics pulled from the Web

A good amount of weapons used by the gang at one time or another are on display several different places here is just one.

In January 1934 the Dillinger gang robbed the First National Bank and killed William O'Malley, a Chicago policeman.
The gang fled to Arizona soon after and decided to "lay low" in Tucson. On January 22, 1934 an unexpected incident
occurred that would eventually lead to their capture.

Dillinger exhibit at the Arizona Historical Society Museum

How the "hayseeds" captured one of the most notorious gangsters of all time.

Registering under aliases, certain members of the gang hid out at the Hotel Congress in downtown Tucson.
The hotel became their temporary hang-out until a fire broke out in the basement. Local fireman managed to evacuate employees
and guests. The some visitor's personal belongings, however, weren't so lucky. Dillinger's boys weren't about to stand by and
watch their things go up in flames. At the urgent request of Russell Clark and Charles Makley a fireman went into the burning building
and retrieved their luggage—some of them filled with weapons and cash. The fireman was given a very generous tip for his actions.

Thompson .45 sub-machine guns confiscated from the Dillinger gang.
These are two of the four weapons found inside the luggage the fireman went into the burning building to get.

Clark and Makley parted company with the fireman and basically walked away free and clear. Later that day, the fireman went to
the police station and told the officers about the strangers he had come in contact with. What happened next sounds too good to be true,
but historians have confirmed it actually took place. It just so happened one of the officers was flipping through a True Detective Magazine.
The fireman immediately recognized Makley and Clark from their mug shot photos on one of the pages.

The mugshots of Dillinger, Clark, Makley, and Pierpont.

Tucson police began a quick stakeout and arrested the whole gang within five hours without firing a single shot. The TPD had done in hours
what the FBI and numerous police officers across the Midwest weren't able to do in months: capture John Dillinger and his gang. Dillinger was
completely shocked the "hayseeds," a term he allegedly used to describe the local authorities, had gotten the best of him. As he was put in
handcuffs, he's quoted as saying, "Well I'll be damned."  Dillinger wasn't able to escape from Tucson jail, but he eventually did so once he was
extradited out of the state. Six months later, John Dillinger was shot and killed by the FBI  in front of the Biograph Theater in Chicago.

Dillinger's capture makes front page news in a St. Louis newspaper.
The 1911 on display was used in a film about Dillinger's life.

The famous "Wanted" poster

John Dillinger's bulletproof vest confiscated by the TPD and other stuff on display.

Back Side of The Display Above

Name: John Herbert Dillinger
DOB: June 22, 1903

It's very interesting History and I've found alot more display pics, info etc. and will post them here as I can.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have been kicking around the idea of building a semi auto copy of the Lehman 38 super. I'd probably register it has a SBR with a detachable stock though.

That would be cool.

Just have to find a 1911 in 38 super.....cheap enuff to gun butcher.

SARCO has RIA in .38 Super for $389.

Hmmm....will have to look into that..thx

I have one, great gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 1:53:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

IIRC, that was part of the reason .38 super 1911's exist. the .45's were uncontrollable in FA, so colt went to the .38 super. several were submitted to the military for T&E.

.38 super exists because they found out the .38 automatic from the Colt 1900 would go through body Armor. The  FBI was a major user.  Hopped up the velocity, threw it in the 1911, called it good.  Plus it could pierce car doors, where .45acp would be stopped flat!  (At the time, 9mm was still a weak round, and .357 hadn't been invented quite yet, as soon as it was, the .38 super started fading).

I guess a few .38 super 1911's ended up being used by the OSS in WW2?!?
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

.38 super exists because they found out the .38 automatic from the Colt 1900 would go through body Armor. The  FBI was a major user.  Hopped up the velocity, threw it in the 1911, called it good.  Plus it could pierce car doors, where .45acp would be stopped flat!  (At the time, 9mm was still a weak round, and .357 hadn't been invented quite yet, as soon as it was, the .38 super started fading).

.38 super is on my list for sure
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 gauge

I believe it was a factory gun and I think they were 16ga.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

Check Out the Pics at
PRE WORLD WAR II FULL AUTO .38 SUPER 1911's

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]
apparently, i am related to the lawyer that represented dillenger in court here in tucson when he was caught at the fox theatre.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
apparently, i am related to the lawyer that represented dillenger in court here in tucson when he was caught at the fox theatre.

Was he a public defender ?

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I shot one of the Tucson Thompsons years ago............
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

I remember reading somewhere that Dillinger started using the wooden pistol because it jammed less than his 1911

He was using an original, normal toleranced 1911 and those have never had a reputation for jamming. We used the fuckers for 75 years in the military. Pull your head out and contribute something to this cool thread.

You are kinda right...  it is a very cool thread.  Alot of neat stuff.  Now, maybe try not to be so serious on the internet.  It just makes your blood pressure rise.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Cool thread.  I saw Public Enemy the other day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top