Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no problem with the wealthy having all the money they can earn.   There is an uneven playing field, so to speak.  The problem lies with the big money controlling decisions and issues the government deals with.  Many studies have shown with statistical evidence that our government acts as an oligarchy in creating laws and polices that benefit the wealthiest individuals and companies rather than the citizens that elected them, often at the expense of the citizens.  Most times when it appears to benefit the average American it's because their interests and big money interests are the same.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck CNN. Why not just quote WHite House press releases.

Typical Alinsky community organizer bullshit stirring up class warfare crap.
View Quote

The state of the union is going to be ALL class warfare this time. The is just setting the stage.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Meanwhile CNN International is running a piece that shows that some welfare recipients here are in the world's top 1% of earners.  

The global median salary is $1,225.

If you make more than $34,000 you're in the world's top 1%.

Half of the world's wealthiest people live in the United States - damn capitalist.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/04/article-2082385-0F5717F500000578-990_468x560.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/19/world/wealth-inequality/index.html?eref=edition

(CNN)Turns out, the rich really are getting richer. And they'll soon own more than the rest of us put together.

So says a new report, which estimates that the richest 1% will have as much wealth as the other 99% combined by next year.

"The richest 1% have seen their share of global wealth increase from 44% in 2009 to 48% in 2014," Oxfam says in a report Monday.

At that rate, the wealthiest will own more than 50% by next year, according to the report.

"Do we really want to live in a world where the 1% own more than the rest of us combined?" asked Winnie Byanyima, executive director of the international aid agency.

Meanwhile CNN International is running a piece that shows that some welfare recipients here are in the world's top 1% of earners.  

The global median salary is $1,225.

If you make more than $34,000 you're in the world's top 1%.

Half of the world's wealthiest people live in the United States - damn capitalist.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/04/article-2082385-0F5717F500000578-990_468x560.jpg

Chart seems flawed. You mean to tell me in China; the worlds manufacturing center and technology leader, and the land of 1 billion people,there are not even 1 million people in the top 1%?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You do realize that 1% of 260,000,000 people is 2.6 million people right?  It is not surprising that 2.6 million people that work really hard and reinvest in business own more than the other 258 million people.
View Quote

I think the article is referencing the richest 1% in the entire world not just the United States.  If that is the case then all of us are probably included in that 1%.  That is a shit ton of people.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
At first I thought that might have been written by the Pope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you took all of the riches in the world from the wealthy and gave it to the poor, it wouldn't take long, at all, for the once wealthy to be wealthy again and the poor to be right back where they started.
View Quote

Must be because the system, not the individual.  We all have choices.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/19/world/wealth-inequality/index.html?eref=edition

(CNN)Turns out, the rich really are getting richer. And they'll soon own more than the rest of us put together.

So says a new report, which estimates that the richest 1% will have as much wealth as the other 99% combined by next year.

"The richest 1% have seen their share of global wealth increase from 44% in 2009 to 48% in 2014," Oxfam says in a report Monday.

At that rate, the wealthiest will own more than 50% by next year, according to the report.

"Do we really want to live in a world where the 1% own more than the rest of us combined?" asked Winnie Byanyima, executive director of the international aid agency.
View Quote

Rather than trying to stir up the politics of envy, perhaps Wiinnie could go and speak to the richest people instead of squandering a fortune on lamenting TV adverts showing dying children, with some forlorn tosser telling us poor 99%'ers how we should give money to their charity.

This is the same charity that pays Winnie over $180,000 a year in salary........ not bad for a professional beggar,

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Proof that QE works (for some people but not the majority of us).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd bet most here are at least a 2%er.
Evil bunch you are. Spread your wealth.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Progressive hit piece!!
View Quote

Id say,

a little math:
so the world population is 6.9 Billion people
so 1% is 69 Million people,

the GDP for the US alone 1.3% of the global GDP and we are #10 on the world wealth list for GDP

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Not to mention that better than half of this "Save the Middle Class" legislation is aimed at making sure the middle class never become wealthy. The guy who can afford an army of tax attorneys and lawyers?  He is not paying that tax.  The guy who pays his CPA $400 to do his taxes - he is the one paying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]
As I understand it is 1% of the whole world. One commenter who seemed to know his stuff from England said if you make $32,000 per year your are considered one of the 1% in this study.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I take it they mean 1% richest globally?  Not really a high bar considering most of the populations on entire continents are less educated than my pets.  Mix in a bit of corruption and religion, voila, a broken culture and economy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#15]
This just in:  rich people have lots of money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#16]
CNN....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#17]
As long as they are subject to the same flat tax, simplified 'no-deductions' tax code that I am, I say "Good for them!"
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Given the majority of the super rich, do nothing, didn't earn their wealth and are hardcore leftists, who will use their money to fuck up the country and generally sabotage everything...

...I always get a little chuckle when people on the right demand we do nothing except let them play without consequence.  Low information voters and all that.
View Quote

Same people who put Obama in office.  Also the same people who buy off politicians to pass regulations to drive their competition out of business.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Given the majority of the super rich, do nothing, didn't earn their wealth and are hardcore leftists, who will use their money to fuck up the country and generally sabotage everything...

...I always get a little chuckle when people on the right demand we do nothing except let them play without consequence.  Low information voters and all that.
View Quote

You realize about 80% of the 1% are first generation wealth?  Probably not or you wouldn't have said anything.  A lot tend to be leftist out of A type personality and arrogance "I am smart enough to get here but the average person is not".  Combine that with "how do I protect what I have spent my life on, hmm I will go ask legislators to do x".  Makes sense from a cwrtain point of view to be liberal once you got yours.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Communist garbage
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Until the average moron stops believing the path to prosperity is getting a good job, contributing to a 401k, open a Roth, open an IRA and a stock portfolio, they will always stay on the path to mediocrity. Wealth is ownership, not cash flow.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]
We should unionize and threaten to turn off our TVs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have no problem with the wealthy having all the money they can earn.   There is an uneven playing field, so to speak.  The problem lies with the big money controlling decisions and issues the government deals with.  Many studies have shown with statistical evidence that our government acts as an oligarchy in creating laws and polices that benefit the wealthiest individuals and companies rather than the citizens that elected them, often at the expense of the citizens.  Most times when it appears to benefit the average American it's because their interests and big money interests are the same.
View Quote

I'm inclined to agree with this.

I will also add that in some corporations, executives making 100x more than their average employee is out of whack. I don't care how "smart" they are or how "hard" they work, it's not 100x more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you took all of the riches in the world from the wealthy and gave it to the poor, it wouldn't take long, at all, for the once wealthy to be wealthy again and the poor to be right back where they started.

inability to understand the system by making bad choices. I see it all the time, people are very irrational and make bad choices all the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You summed it up extremely well. Many low information voters here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#27]
The 1% is also probably responsible for 95% of total amount of employees in this country.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Proof that QE works (for some people but not the majority of us).
View Quote

I am calling BS, why didn't you take advantage of what the Fed was doing? Why were you not investing? Why do the vast majority of Vietnamese immigrants I went to school with have advanced degrees? It's because they didn't make excuses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Good for them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:  And yet, them being rich doesn't make me, or anyone else poor.
View Quote
Not quite true.  Were they to reinvest in their companies, rather than outsource everything to India or China, they might prove to be better stakeholders to your community, and thus your way of life would be improved, and very possibly your income.  And I mean this from a completely conservative way.  I do not wish the government get involved in any way.  That only makes it 5x worse.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I will also add that in some corporations, executives making 100x more than their average employee is out of whack. I don't care how "smart" they are or how "hard" they work, it's not 100x more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The owners of the company seem fine with it. I.E. the stock holders.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't worry: Obama's gonna "fix" it by taxing inheritance and capital gains.

....because only the ultra rich have those.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Progressive hit piece!!
View Quote

Actually, it's progressive politics that cause the wealth gap to increase.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Only for a short time. If you took all of the riches in the world from the wealthy and gave it to the poor, it wouldn't take long, at all, for the once wealthy to be wealthy again and the poor to be right back where they started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize that 1% of 260,000,000 people is 2.6 million people right?  It is not surprising that 2.6 million people that work really hard and reinvest in business own more than the other 258 million people.

Yep, not to mention the majority of their wealth is tied up in business asstets, not in scrooge mcduck swimming pools of money.

Take away and split up their assets, business, property and watch that wealth dissappear.

Only for a short time. If you took all of the riches in the world from the wealthy and gave it to the poor, it wouldn't take long, at all, for the once wealthy to be wealthy again and the poor to be right back where they started.

I agree, the wealthy (who aren't 3rd generation old money trustafarians) know how to create wealth.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#35]
You always know whenever you see the media carrying the admin's water, there'll be a wet rag dripping here too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Set up a system where 1/2 of the people don't have to work and we wonder

why those same people are perpetually broke?

View Quote

I'm all for people getting rich. The problem is for the last several years, a lot of them are getting insanely richer by the 0% interest central bank money that has been shoveled out to them, a lot of it the heads we win, tails you lose system on the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
The stock holders are the only stake holders that matter to companies anymore.

It used to be the stockholders, the employees, the consumers, and the communities they represent.

Now, there is only one thing that they care about: stockholders.

My wife and I have worked for several large companies over the past 20 years, and have seen many, many decisions that were poor for the company long term, poor for the community that the company grew up in, and poor for the employees; but were good for only one thing... quarterly earnings statements.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Yeah.  I don't think most people in the thread realize that if they are middle class in the U.S. they are part of the evil rich 1% that the article is talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it they mean 1% richest globally?  Not really a high bar considering most of the populations on entire continents are less educated than my pets.  Mix in a bit of corruption and religion, voila, a broken culture and economy.

Yeah.  I don't think most people in the thread realize that if they are middle class in the U.S. they are part of the evil rich 1% that the article is talking about.
$1mil and up puts you in the top 0.7%.

$100k to $1mil puts you in the next 7.9%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate class warfare, unions, high taxes, and the like.  But if you don't think that most large companies in the US (and the world) only care about earnings and stock prices you are mistaken.  

There are many executives in the US that are grossly overpaid.  Wages/Salaries have stayed flat over the past 20 years or so, while executive pay has skyrocketed.  The wealth gap has grown to it's largest point since the 1920s (it may have surpassed that point now).

I'm not saying it's totally wrong, but it's a point to ponder.  Things are getting mighty top heavy while compared to history.  Bad things happen when things get like that.

We've got politicians that are bought and paid for by the elite, Republicans and Democrats.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
God, I hope so. I love the fact that people can become wealthy beyond my own imagination. Think of the cool shiot those people will do with all of that money. New companies created from whole cloth based on their investments. Whole regions uplifted soely because of their philanthropy. Jobs, new scientific discoveries, more goods and services purchased, the list is endless.

I hope every single one of us becomes so rich through our own work and planning that the 1% includes 5 or 6 billion of us.

Class warfare is a stupid, stupid premise to hang your worldview on.
View Quote

Damn, you drink Kool Aide by the GALLON.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd bet most here are at least a 2%er.
Evil bunch you are. Spread your wealth.
View Quote

Yeah, that 99% argument is attractive......i can see Soros saying prayers for them as he pays them shit to occupy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, Paris Hilton worked REALLY hard....

If hard work and education was all that was required, I'd BE in the 1%. Unfortunately, it has more to do with what family you are born into and what connections you have. Of course, the rich don't like to admit that.... it would negatively impact their fantasy self-images.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS. On the money, dude.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#44]
A large number of people in 3rd World countries are poor because the government has stolen their land, and then leased it back to people. Socialism is a form of slavery, and it perpetuates poverty.

It's not a coincidence that the countries whose economies are growing the fastest, have adopted liberal economic policies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God, I hope so. I love the fact that people can become wealthy beyond my own imagination. Think of the cool shiot those people will do with all of that money. New companies created from whole cloth based on their investments. Whole regions uplifted soely because of their philanthropy. Jobs, new scientific discoveries, more goods and services purchased, the list is endless.

I hope every single one of us becomes so rich through our own work and planning that the 1% includes 5 or 6 billion of us.

Class warfare is a stupid, stupid premise to hang your worldview on.

What happens when a mega wealthy person buys a $100mil yacht?

How many people does that employ directly? How many families have an income, tradesman a job to go to? How many years does it take to finish something of that magnitude? You need experts in every industry to build something that, by all rights, is the epitome of excessive wealth.  

Those individuals buy a home, put money in the bank so those banks can lend to start ups and home buyers, those individuals go to the store and buy goods, which pays for other people's jobs, who then do the same thing, all the way down the line.

Money is always moving. Wealthy people cannot be wealthy in a vacuum; it's impossible.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like envy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If hard work and education was all that was required, I'd BE in the 1%.
View Quote

Or maybe you just aren't as smart as you think you are or work as hard as you think you do.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It used to be the stockholders, the employees, the consumers, and the communities they represent.

My wife and I have worked for several large companies over the past 20 years, and have seen many, many decisions that were poor for the company long term, poor for the community that the company grew up in, and poor for the employees; but were good for only one thing... quarterly earnings statements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the text book definition of the stock holder wealth model of business management. The double edge sword of being public. It's not like that all over the world though, a lot of companies use a shareholder wealth model where everyone's input matters. Like you said, what;s good for next quarter is not necessarily what is good for next year. If the board and stock holders wanted to get the upper management in line, they would pay them like some fund managers get paid, based on 1 year, 5 year and 10 year performance numbers. It makes you balance both short term and long term goals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Meh fine by me. The worked for it an earned it. Even if its generational wealth it was still earned and is their right to pass it on to their children.

People need to spend less time bitching about being poor and get out there and do something about it. Get a good paying job, save your money, minimize your debt, invest in a 401k and a few other alternative investments and in general make smart financial decisions and you will be rich when you retire.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top