BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's definitely another issue, and one that is common on most boards that have a resident celebrity or a core group of dominant members. It can turn into an echo chamber pretty easily, because those guys are rarely interested in arguing or discussing different opinions. They are there to say what they want to say, not to discuss things with people who disagree with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Lightifighter groupthink makes Arf look like a bastion of open debate and openness to new experiences and interpretations.

That's definitely another issue, and one that is common on most boards that have a resident celebrity or a core group of dominant members. It can turn into an echo chamber pretty easily, because those guys are rarely interested in arguing or discussing different opinions. They are there to say what they want to say, not to discuss things with people who disagree with them.

I went there a young captain dealing with real combat in a real combat zone and was shut down by guys who make a living running training and airsofters. Fuck that place. Nothing like subsequent hard earned real experience to make you realize the joke that place is/was.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
So many things I could say if I wanted to stoop low, but I won't.

Let's just say that when you let a certain type of culture of exclusivity be the driving factor, and not solid information or experience, people are going to find out sooner or later, and leave.

I saw the phenomenon take over with 18X program, especially as Teams started kicking their 18Xs out to SWC without knowing anything, and then taking their frustration out on new guys.

When you see foreign nationals who came to the US, joined the Army, went to SFAS and the Q, who were former commandos from Europe, speak multiple foreign languages fluently without an accent, can PT harder than any of the 18X cadre (even in their youth and inexperience), are SMEs already on SUTs, weapons, combat medicine, commo, demo, HALO, SCUBA, Recce, Reco, plainclothes work, regionally-oriented, but get peered by 19 and 20yr-olds because they rode their whiny a**es during patrolling phase for being betas, you know something is fundamentally wrong.  I would rather have that one guy on a team than 5 18Xs, especially those who came from 82nd, since none of them are ever going to master a language or their craft anyway, but will dress up in MC and go to the shoot house and think they're solid performers.

A lot of that attitude seemed to drive LF.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a cool place to get reviews on equipment and gear but if someone voiced a opinion that went against a cool kid they got their balloon knot destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never understood that forum's name.
View Quote

A Lightfighter goes to war with what he carries in,
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
<----- member since:

DAMN! lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be more specific, it's a 1980's-early 1990's concept that 7th ID out of Fort Ord embraced, after leaning heavily on input from 75th Ranger Regiment, to include the creation and nurturing of Division-level formal courses that no other combat Division cared about.
View Quote

This. Once again lrrp and I cross paths and background.

Started my service there. 4/17 IN. 3rd Brigade. Got my Air Assault wings there.

We humped everywhere and everything. No vehicles, no massive support units. Just grunts and their rucksacks.

You haven't rucked until you ruck what's sometimes referred to as the Manchu Mile (the version that still exists today is weak sauce) from Ord to Hunter Liggett in multiple days with an 80 pound ruck.

I served in some hard charging units afterwards but those guys were the shit. All about focus and training. Best job I ever had.

7th ID (L) was sadly lost to the BRAC of 93 after a failed plan to move to Lewis.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been getting training event emails from them consistently for the last day or so. Has literally never happened before.

Maybe new mgmt?
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've been getting training event emails from them consistently for the last day or so. Has literally never happened before.

Maybe new mgmt?
View Quote

Same here. I just got another email this morning

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can think of quite a few gun forums that spend an inordinate amount of time mocking ARFcom.  

Most of those are cults of personality that tend to eat their own. There is a distinct lack of good-natured humor that is the hallmark of this place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As relentlessly as ARFCOM is ragged on at Lightfighter, there are a bunch of guys from there that post here.

I can think of quite a few gun forums that spend an inordinate amount of time mocking ARFcom.  

Most of those are cults of personality that tend to eat their own. There is a distinct lack of good-natured humor that is the hallmark of this place.

This is true
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Last time I posted there I answered a question about bushmaster and some asshat flipped out at me for not posting in the new member thread, I had had an account there for a decade. I told him to F off, and I knew what was going to happen next. I paid and went into the paid members section and he ( an unarmed jail guard) was bad mouthing me to some moderator who is a secretary in some office and they were threatening to ban me. "Hi Guys!"

I think I posted that I was a master nunchuck fighter in my profile then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to be my favorite forum for low noise to signal discussion. It was always fun watching some airsofter get torn up like an injured cow in a piranha infested river.

Last time I posted there I answered a question about bushmaster and some asshat flipped out at me for not posting in the new member thread, I had had an account there for a decade. I told him to F off, and I knew what was going to happen next. I paid and went into the paid members section and he ( an unarmed jail guard) was bad mouthing me to some moderator who is a secretary in some office and they were threatening to ban me. "Hi Guys!"

I think I posted that I was a master nunchuck fighter in my profile then

Yea, that place is/was a giant circle jerk. Some of the "experts" there are on YT making cringe worthy YT videos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's an old Army concept from the Light Infantry Divisions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://definithing.com/lightfighter/

I understand what they think they mean, but it's still stupid.  

Why are they fighting the light?  Are they satanists? Vampires? Really, really pale skinned? Or are they being less literal, and don't want the truth of things to come out?

It's an old Army concept from the Light Infantry Divisions.

Adam's right on ....

I served in 7th ID (Light) in '92-'93, then it was deactivated. "Lightfighter" was the motto/concept of the 7th and we were pretty proud of it too.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The hard chargers scared off the kids.

The format changed.  

Pat died

I haven't logged in since that day.

View Quote

All that in one day?  Sheesh
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why are they fighting the light?  Are they satanists? Vampires? Really, really pale skinned? Or are they being less literal, and don't want the truth of things to come out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of signal to noise...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They changed the format awhile back.  They also made some changes to what's accessible to non paying members.  I don't go there near as often anymore.  Maybe once or twice a month.  Used to be my go to forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First time signing in since probably 2009..

Looks all retarded and shit.

They changed the format awhile back.  They also made some changes to what's accessible to non paying members.  I don't go there near as often anymore.  Maybe once or twice a month.  Used to be my go to forum.

I had to start coming here
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Let's just say that when you let a certain type of culture of exclusivity be the driving factor, and not solid information or experience, people are going to find out sooner or later, and leave.

I saw the phenomenon take over with 18X program, especially as Teams started kicking their 18Xs out to SWC without knowing anything, and then taking their frustration out on new guys.

When you see foreign nationals who came to the US, joined the Army, went to SFAS and the Q, who were former commandos from Europe, speak multiple foreign languages fluently without an accent, can PT harder than any of the 18X cadre (even in their youth and inexperience), are SMEs already on SUTs, weapons, combat medicine, commo, demo, HALO, SCUBA, Recce, Reco, plainclothes work, regionally-oriented, but get peered by 19 and 20yr-olds because they rode their whiny a**es during patrolling phase for being betas, you know something is fundamentally wrong.  I would rather have that one guy on a team than 5 18Xs, especially those who came from 82nd, since none of them are ever going to master a language or their craft anyway, but will dress up in MC and go to the shoot house and think they're solid performers.

View Quote
I've seen you make comments like this before and am curious.

What is the source of your animus with the 82ND?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the 82nd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Probably the 82nd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the 82nd.
 OK, I left the door open for that.  What experience with the 82ND soured you?  Poor planning?  Confidence or arrogance unsupported by

fact?  Sacrifice of basic infantry skills for the airborne mission?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sadly, a determination all too often judged not by actual experience, but by whether or not that experience led to opinions compatible with the dominant voices. Lightifighter groupthink makes Arf look like a bastion of open debate and openness to new experiences and interpretations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As relentlessly as ARFCOM is ragged on at Lightfighter, there are a bunch of guys from there that post here.

I'm one.  I haven't been there in years though.  I kinda liked their more restrictive membership, less asshattery but they could be a little pompous sometimes.

I've been on there about as long as I've been here. Maybe even a little bit longer. They can definitely come off as pompous, but the idea over there is to try to limit/prevent input from people who don't know what they are talking about and therefore have no business giving advise on combat gear.

Sadly, a determination all too often judged not by actual experience, but by whether or not that experience led to opinions compatible with the dominant voices. Lightifighter groupthink makes Arf look like a bastion of open debate and openness to new experiences and interpretations.

Do you type with a thesaurus at your elbow???
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm one.  I haven't been there in years though.  I kinda liked their more restrictive membership, less asshattery but they could be a little pompous sometimes.

I've been on there about as long as I've been here. Maybe even a little bit longer. They can definitely come off as pompous, but the idea over there is to try to limit/prevent input from people who don't know what they are talking about and therefore have no business giving advise on combat gear.

Dafuq you just call me?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I thought everyone left and went to Primary and Secondary?
View Quote
Now there is a forum full if jerks and dumbasses.

I got invited into their FB group and man so of the HSLD idiocy on there was enough for me to disregard all the rest of the content.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We humped everywhere and everything. No vehicles, no massive support units. Just grunts and their rucksacks.

You haven't rucked until you ruck what's sometimes referred to as the Manchu Mile (the version that still exists today is weak sauce) from Ord to Hunter Liggett in multiple days with an 80 pound ruck.

I served in some hard charging units afterwards but those guys were the shit. All about focus and training. Best job I ever had.

7th ID (L) was sadly lost to the BRAC of 93 after a failed plan to move to Lewis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be more specific, it's a 1980's-early 1990's concept that 7th ID out of Fort Ord embraced, after leaning heavily on input from 75th Ranger Regiment, to include the creation and nurturing of Division-level formal courses that no other combat Division cared about.

Alas, rucking is hard and Mech Infantry is "sexier" (and costs many dollars and is better for Congressional districts).
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck their forums....

What you needed from Lightfighter was their party at SHOT......

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They lost the tiddlywink spirit! Fuck that place! Some asshole over there paid over $300 for a multicam painted Cold Steel tomahawk. He was bragging about how cool it was. I pointed out that he could have gotten a super nice one for that price and got suspended for it. Bunch of spec ops wanna be knob schlobers over there.
View Quote

I remember that.  Can't believe you got banned.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

I plead the 5th.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This made it fun.

I miss going there, that forum just died a slow painful death.  Tons of great info without all the bullshit static in the background.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to be my favorite forum for low noise to signal discussion. It was always fun watching some airsofter get torn up like an injured cow in a piranha infested river.

This made it fun.

I miss going there, that forum just died a slow painful death.  Tons of great info without all the bullshit static in the background.

Same here. I was a member there before I joined Arfcom. Damn good site for a long time, if you wanted to be serious. Then it all started to fizzle. My last time there the whole site had changed, and you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I plead the 5th.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I plead the 5th.

I know a few current members were there that night......

I'd traveled the world, thought I'd seen everything. I'd never seen that in RL before.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'd traveled the world, thought I'd seen everything. I'd never seen that in RL before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I plead the 5th.

Truth be told, the best of the Lightfighter parties was the first one, probably in 2002. It was smaller and hosted in our suite at the Orleans (our room, not some party room). But the group was full of friends. We had Gerry Owen and Russel in the good ole' days, Matt Birkhart, some french guy, The Hos (no, not those hoes, the AEX Hos), Haji before he moved to work for Lightfighter, etc. It wasn't crazy or 'memorable' like the Lightfighter parties that came later, but it was a good night. And one of my favorite memories from the Lightfighter Tactical days.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Lightfighter = NOPE!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

For a long time I can only find time for one forum ... here.

There was a mod named "assbags",  but some EE thing got him run out of town on a rail. I sort of think that incident changed things somehow.
View Quote

They ran Brando out as well.

He was a breath of fresh air at LF.....SF too if I remember correctly.

He didn't march to their drum beat either.

For me, his departure was the last straw.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Maybe new mgmt?
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]
F LF.com

Seemed like two similar things; a good place to have your ass kissed if you had "special" in your military job title or to go kiss ass and agree with anyone with "special" in their job title.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Didn't assbags steal stuff that was donated for soldiers?

Same thread 7 years ago

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1126317__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Lightfighter__WTF_.html&page=1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a mod named "assbags",  but some EE thing got him run out of town on a rail. I sort of think that incident changed things somehow.

Same thread 7 years ago

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1126317__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Lightfighter__WTF_.html&page=1

I believe that was exactly what happened.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
F LF.com

Seemed like two similar things; a good place to have your ass kissed if you had "special" in your job military job title or to go kiss ass and agree with anyone with "special" in their job title.
View Quote

Aint that the truth. The "special" guy on the ODA could go from laughing stock to god by just logging in.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the refreshing things about LF.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Sorry , I was confused by the wording of your post.

We can do this thread again in 2023

Does anyone know if there was a change in ownership prompting the spam?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thread 7 years ago

I believe that was exactly what happened.

Sorry , I was confused by the wording of your post.

We can do this thread again in 2023

Does anyone know if there was a change in ownership prompting the spam?

ATS Tactical still owns the forum according to the front page. IIRC, they bought the business from Brad. I think that either someone accidentally turned on calendar reminders for everyone registered or it was enabled the whole time and people just started using the calendar.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top