Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, now that I won't  use fireclean. What should I use?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Awesome. Thank,you.

I want some unicorn dick,lube
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No doubt.     Kinda like the pool store.  
They sell bleach for twice or more what you could get at wal mart.  But they don't call,it bleach
Alkalinity up is baking soda.  They even list ingredient as sodium hydrogen carbonate, which is correct, but many people recognize the other Chemical name, sodium bicarbonate, so they don't use that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly, I never heard of Fire Clean until I read this thread...
Neither had I

Arfcom doesn't have any grad students with access to a GC Mass spec?    

FC has been pushed pretty hard in certain circles by various tactical celebrities with all kinds of statements about its awesome powers.

The primary one I've heard has been that it doesn't let carbon cake on and wipes off easily...but I'm willing to bet most oil type lubricants will do the same if used sensibly. I've always generously lubricated my guns and I don't get a lot of carbon buildup. On an AR if my bolt and carrier aren't shiny I usually re-lube. It usually wipes down fairly easily with carbon buildup only happening on the tail of the bolt.

I would absolutely LOVE to see a whole bunch of lubes put through some sophisticated instruments. I bet a lot of them would look a hell of a lot like various other lubrication products on the market that can be had much less expensively...but perhaps with some additives useful for preventing corrosion or detergents for easier cleanup.
No doubt.     Kinda like the pool store.  
They sell bleach for twice or more what you could get at wal mart.  But they don't call,it bleach
Alkalinity up is baking soda.  They even list ingredient as sodium hydrogen carbonate, which is correct, but many people recognize the other Chemical name, sodium bicarbonate, so they don't use that.

I bake baking soda in the oven to remove co2 and the baking soda becomes soda ash, which i use to increase the alk in my reef aquarium.  plain old baking soda can be used, but the co2 in it will lower the PH, where soda ash gives it a slight boost.

the white small ball ice melt is just calcium chloride which for a while was being used to boost calcium, but Prestone changed supplier and it was found to have some additives that could harm reef aquariums, so people had to buy bulk from aquarium suppliers again.

one of the 2 parts used to mix amagnesium booster is just epson salts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neither had I

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither had I

I know someone at Woods Hole...
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

honestly?

pretty much anything. i think the only bad gun care product I remember using was either tw25b or tetra gun grease turned to cheese when mixed with powder fouling.

my advice is this. if its non toxic and bodegrable skip it. its likely shit. break free, FP-10, Mpro 7 clp, surplus sent clp, axles grease, mobil one of its wal mart alternative, bar and chain oil, royal purple, hoppes, etc all work.

people get all super worked up over gun lubes. its oil. the most important thing about weapons lube is simply keeping the weapon lubed with the right amount of lube. the brand really is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither had I

I replied to your crisco question

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, Gun Oil Sex Lube is actually a thing in England. I came across that looking up Snake Oil gun lube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.

No fucking shit. Use Mobile 1 if you want.

It's not fucking sex lube people.

Which is usually little more than glycerin and water.

Interestingly enough, Gun Oil Sex Lube is actually a thing in England. I came across that looking up Snake Oil gun lube.

You can get it here as well, although I really didn't care for it. Never tried it on a firearm though, so no idea there.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]

A good synopsis of everything I hate in the gun lube industry.

Gotta get me some UDL though, that shit sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's where I think greases may be a better solution for most. Most people are not firing 1,000 rounds through their weapon in a day. (You can't fire that many rounds through an AR full-auto continuously without cook offs and other unpleasantness) The gun is inactive more than it's active and liquid lubes migrate elsewhere due to gravity. A grease that will stay in place with some corrosion resistant properties and an excellent ability to encapsulate particles so they don't become points of friction would likely serve most people's purposes better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:but the most important thing it can do is be in the right place when it's needed.

Most popular lubes kind of suck at that, IMO.

Some seem good at full-auto torture tests, but don't last more than a few weeks without drying out. It's a shame weapons lubes often don't see proper test routines.

That's where I think greases may be a better solution for most. Most people are not firing 1,000 rounds through their weapon in a day. (You can't fire that many rounds through an AR full-auto continuously without cook offs and other unpleasantness) The gun is inactive more than it's active and liquid lubes migrate elsewhere due to gravity. A grease that will stay in place with some corrosion resistant properties and an excellent ability to encapsulate particles so they don't become points of friction would likely serve most people's purposes better.

Yeah, grease works very well indeed, especially with handguns. I stopped using oil in handguns after ruining a couple of shirts due to migrating oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are working on UPL  as well. It's thinner and straight guys can eat it as well as lube guns with it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are working on UPL  as well. It's thinner and straight guys can eat it as well as lube guns with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistol works as a sex lube but is not condom safe and will make your reproductive session smell of sweat socks and licorice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can get it here as well, although I really didn't care for it. Never tried it on a firearm though, so no idea there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with some plain old motor oil? Cheap and not wanting in most climates.

No fucking shit. Use Mobile 1 if you want.

It's not fucking sex lube people.

Which is usually little more than glycerin and water.

So you used it before huh?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Crisco shortening is a solid at room temp.    

Crisco canola oil!?
Google says minus 10 C for canola oil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a LA ICP MS and proprietary MATLAB codes for analysis, but no nebulizer.

How cold does crisco need to be to get to a solid state?

Crisco canola oil!?

With the LA ICP MS, I have to have a solid to shoot into. I think he mentioned that the crisco was two oils he found. Would have to be frozen solid to run, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of mess ablated crisco will do to the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I use fire clean and it seems fine. I have never paid for it as I get a metric shit ton of samples at SHOT every year. I don't know what is in all this lube stuff. I use Mobil One and the Fire clean because I get it free. Both work well. When you consider price to volume Mobil One is by far cheaper. I am not lube anal. I lube it and fire !  When it is dirty I clean it.  Never any problems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
The bottom line is gun solvents, lubes have been around a long time, I have several guns over 100 years old that are not rusted, not gunked up from carbon. My point is NONE of these new cleaners have reinvented the wheel, yea they may be incrementally better in some ways but overall they ain't any better than the products available.  It's all marketing gimmicks and anyone that jumps on the bandwagon of these products as the bestest greatest evar, well their nothing more than the sham wow guy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
With the LA ICP MS, I have to have a solid to shoot into. I think he mentioned that the crisco was two oils he found. Would have to be frozen solid to run, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of mess ablated crisco will do to the chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crisco canola oil!?

Likely the same thing it does to our arteries. .

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I use fire clean and it seems fine. I have never paid for it as I get a metric shit ton of samples at SHOT every year. I don't know what is in all this lube stuff. I use Mobil One and the Fire clean because I get it free. Both work well. When you consider price to volume Mobil One is by far cheaper. I am not lube anal. I lube it and fire !  When it is dirty I clean it.  Never any problems.
View Quote

EE and Dino done turned this into an anal lube thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Just use white lithium grease and or Mobil1....
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crisco canola oil!?

From the crisco website:

Ingredients:
SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PALM OIL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Palm oil freezes at 35C, soybean oil at -16C as per some vegan cooking website I dredged up in three seconds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A shame the author of that blog stepped on his dick in the EE.  He was a decent poster here.

What happened?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/832239_.html

I'll never understand how people get so worked up over this stuff. If a guy doesn't pay, sell it to someone else, and cut all this drama. Imagine if Amazon (or any other retailer) forced you to buy anything you added to your cart? That's basically what the rule is in the EE.
It's also a big reason people only want to send emails for EE transactions. Keeps everything off this site, free from it's rules.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Neither had I

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither had I

Why bother in the M4Carbine thread there is a link to the Patent Docs and it specifically mentions that it is a blend of veggie oils. So not actually Crisco....just made out of all the base elements of Crisco.....honestly at this point who give a damn. If you want to use Veggie Oil go swing by your local grocery store and buy a 32ox bottle of a three different off brand oils and mix them together. For about $20 bucks you will have enough "gun oil" to last a decade....just store the concoction in the pantry so it is not exposed to direct sunlight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]
vuurwapenblog...

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember trying to access his blog but it was invalid for a few years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Science bitches..... How does that work..

Amazing how even with the power of the internet, folks can still be convinced to buy expensive shit like Fire clean, or frog lube or gun better or some other such nonsense...

One $5 quart of Mobil 1 and you have enough lubricant to last you for many years....
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
George Fennell.. There's a name I haven't heard in a while.  That article mentions that he's had bad things to say about FP-10, funny cuz he was supposed to have invented it and sure did think it was the best thing since mother's milk on his old FP-10 forum.  He was a nice guy back then but certainly not shy with his opinions.  He was a good part of the anti-militec movement back in the day, he does seem to enjoy taking the piss out of competitors, but he was right about militec in my experience, and I've got fifteen year old guns with a lot of rounds through 'em that have had a steady diet of FP-10 that look better than they should IMO.
View Quote

I admit to drinking some Fennell kool-aid about 15 years ago and his product has never given me reason to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#26]
lol suckers
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The LAV will not be pleased...he promotes this stuff pretty often
View Quote

a fat guy likes crisco and we all act surprised?

Get it together people, this is some bush league obvious shit right here

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was banned from the LAV's facebook when I pointed out that FireClean turns to a hard waxy mess below freezing and can jam up the BCG of an AR, as a Cajun chef and frymaster, I also commented that it has the smell and consistency of used fry oil.

LAV even made a statement that "Fireclean isn't for safe queens, but rifles that you shoot all day" almost to mitigate that shit turns to wax if left cold.

FWIW I have used it in 1911s and on AR's in normal temperatures and the guns LOOK cleaner than with thicker lubes like SLIP 2000 and Wilson Ultimate, but that's also because that shit is burning off when you shoot it. I have not had any stoppages, but I'm not a huge fan.

My go to's:

AR platform (and any gas operated rifle): EWL
1911: Wilson pink "ultimate" lube and Mobil 1
Bolt guns: Mobil 1
View Quote

I was banned for saying ACDC isn't the best band ever....

I'm glad I ran out of this stuff early on...
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Andrew is incorrect.

Canola oil is made from rape.

The good kind of rape.
View Quote
You said 'Rape' twice

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I haven't used carb cleaner, used brake parts cleaner though.

I'll give the crisco a try though to see if it's the same as fireclean, Bc literally a couple drops is all it takes, and it takes off carbon without effort. For the suppressed guys, I can't recommend it enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally have 20 different cleaners/Protectants/lube on my bench. And though I don't use fire clean for a lubricant, it works wonders for removing carbon. It's the only thing that can keep my Pistons clean on my suppressor, now I can easily change from one piston to another.

Ever tried brake cleaner/carb cleaner? Eating carbon is what it's designed for.

I haven't used carb cleaner, used brake parts cleaner though.

I'll give the crisco a try though to see if it's the same as fireclean, Bc literally a couple drops is all it takes, and it takes off carbon without effort. For the suppressed guys, I can't recommend it enough.

FWIW, vegetable oil is used as a less toxic replacement for mineral spirits for cleaning certain types of equipment.   I would not be surprised if it worked.

Virtually any oil will work if it doesn't burn off too fast and isn't solid at the temp you're using it, and if you don't apply it like a retard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

To their credit, Crisco is very popular in the black powder community.
View Quote
I read this completely incorrectly and was going to make a fried chicken reference.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm way behind the curve on the cool kids' gun products, and haven't tried this stuff or Froglube.

My supplies are mundane: Hoppes #9, naphtha, non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or mineral spirits for most cleaning. Sometimes ATF if I can handle the pungency.mbutch's Bore Shine or Sweet's 7.62 are somewhere on my shelf, too.
For lube: FP10 with its cinnamon odor and Teflon-free formula is my preference for precision barrels. Otherwise, I use Mobil 1, BF CLP, and a decent moly grease from the auto parts store.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL.

Why buy Mobil1 then?

Buy a quart of Walmart Brand oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Science bitches..... How does that work..

Amazing how even with the power of the internet, folks can still be convinced to buy expensive shit like Fire clean, or frog lube or gun better or some other such nonsense...

One $5 quart of Mobil 1 and you have enough lubricant to last you for many years....

LOL.

Why buy Mobil1 then?

Buy a quart of Walmart Brand oil.

Ring chain molecules, amongst other things, according to the expert Old_Painless talked to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's the story on 87GN?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a shame 87GN isn't around anymore.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/832239_.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a shame 87GN isn't around anymore.

Cmon try to keep up, half-stepper. Lol

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#37]
pretty much what I thought. Canola oil did exactly jack and shit to carbon. I soaked the FS overnight and it did nothing. I'm thinking the people who claim fireclean cleans carbon doesn't. it cleans powder fouling and they don't know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use mobil one for gun oil

My MAC10 would kick the ass of all the normal gun oils as it heated up

but mobil one kept it running
View Quote

Same here. Read a suggestion here years ago to use it, and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been using Mobil 1 since before it was trendy, I'll stick with that as it's free. I use what's leftover from oil changes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

honestly?

pretty much anything. i think the only bad gun care product I remember using was either tw25b or tetra gun grease turned to cheese when mixed with powder fouling.

my advice is this. if its non toxic and bodegrable skip it. its likely shit. break free, FP-10, Mpro 7 clp, surplus sent clp, axles grease, mobil one of its wal mart alternative, bar and chain oil, royal purple, hoppes, etc all work.

people get all super worked up over gun lubes. its oil. the most important thing about weapons lube is simply keeping the weapon lubed with the right amount of lube. the brand really is irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

honestly?

Wait!  Tw25b is no good?  I thought it was arf approved?

My head hurts....we need a lighted status wheel telling us what lubes are good and what have fallen out of vogue....maybe attach it as a banner to top of home page
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My head hurts....we need a lighted status wheel telling us what lubes are good and what have fallen out of vogue....maybe attach it as a banner to top of home page
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

honestly?

it was either tetra or tw25b grease.  I think it was tetra. put it on my witness .45 and had issues with it drying up and getting gummy with powder fouling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I know they say don't put tw25 in the bore or it will sludge, but I have had good results using it on my slide rails

Curious if others like it or don't like it.

I have a few bottles of EWL 2000, seems like after that is done, I will stick with the mobil 1 I have in my garage and never hit gun shop again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I still have a can of g96 from like 1996.

Works good, smells good.
View Quote

Lulz

I still have 2 qts and 7-8 little bottles of Break Free CLP that the armorer rotated out in 1993.

Works. Only thing I've added is TW25B and a Birchwood bore cleaner.

I don't get this fad for designer lubes and cleaners.
When the CLP runs out I'll be dead. Or I'll switch to motor oil.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
pretty much what I thought. Canola oil did exactly jack and shit to carbon. I soaked the FS overnight and it did nothing. I'm thinking the people who claim fireclean cleans carbon doesn't. it cleans powder fouling and they don't know the difference.
View Quote

Your results are shocking and totally unforeseen.

The gun community (consumer end) really needs to beef up on the science and demand that claims be backed up with proof. Everyone claims their own favorite lube/cleaners, but few have any of the knowledge required to rigorously evaluate the efficacy. They say "works well for me" and vigorously defend their purchase, usually out of emotional attachment, yet don't realize that a hundred other products would likely serve them just as well or better, and usually at a fraction of the cost.

If you're paying $16 for two ounces of lube, you're being had.

I have enough Magnalube and Mobil 1 10w40 to last a lifetime, and the total for those was less than $20. I do have a soft spot for G96, though, and Hoppes just smells good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I've been using it and liked it well enough, especially seemed to clean well

however, the other day I came to find my uzi completely fucking gummed up with the shit, as in the bolt was getting stuck

between the top cover and bolt was a brown, tree sap consistency shit

it had been sitting, at most, 6 weeks.  last thing through it was 250 rounds of wolf 9mm, pretty quickly

but still, I think i'll be limiting my use of fireclean from here on out
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Hmm, I'm glad I never bought any if that crap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#48]
TW25b is (was) used machine guns in the Marines for much of OIF.  I still have some large tubes of it (believe 4 or 6 ounces) that came with M240 maintenance kits
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Now we need to see what's in frog lube.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top