User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, the US should cut off all food aid.  Tell the UN to pick up the slack somewhere else.
View Quote

Yep. They can make fools out of us when they all feed themselves just fine.

I'll be right over here, holding my breath.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wouldn't prices go up and output go down? How many would starve?
View Quote

Um, yes, yes, and millions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wouldn't prices go up and output go down? How many would starve?
View Quote

It would work just like ObungholeCare.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh look.
A thread full of global food production experts.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the UN out of the US.      Move that fucker to Haiti.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Roundup Ready crops kick ass. GMOs kick ass.  

Eat more, whine less. Roundup, Goldsky, MCPE, Banville and all the other good stuff is here to stay.  

Nobody wants to go back to manual labor and tillage to control weeds in crops.  Except organic farms, and who wants to be like those hippies?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
UN wants population control via mass starvation?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eat more, whine less. Roundup, Goldsky, MCPE, Banville and all the other good stuff is here to stay.  

Nobody wants to go back to manual labor and tillage to control weeds in crops.  Except organic farms, and who wants to be like those hippies?
View Quote

Easy there montana max. Granted I only minored in ag, but tillage is cheap and if you have the moisture, and if you have drainage issues then its the best solution.

Otherwise you were spot on. Also, organic fertilizer on carrots always bothered me. I always tell the hippies I dont want their crappy carrots.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Easy there montana max. Granted I only minored in ag, but tillage is cheap and if you have the moisture, and if you have drainage issues then its the best solution.

Otherwise you were spot on. Also, organic fertilizer on carrots always bothered me. I always tell the hippies I dont want their crappy carrots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we lack that whole moisture thing here some, hence why the cover crop business has taken time to take hold.  Nobody wants to plant a cover crop that uses needed moisture in a region where 12" of precipitation could be all one gets.

Tillage is cheap, but manual labor to remove weeds is still more costly than even a major dose of roundup at 48oz an acre.  

Contrary to what the organic crowd would like everyone to believe, you would have to drink nearly a gallon of Roundup straight to get seriously ill.

The dark side to the use of glyphosate is that by not also using different modes of action, and using glyphoste only, we can and most likely WILL at some point see Roundup-resistant weeds develop.

There has been cases of Roundup-resistant kochia in the north part of the state.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey UN, you and all your buttfucking members can go fuck yourselves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The UN should be relocated to Africa, where it can do the most good for the least amount of money - cut the red tape and effect change right at the source.  Dear God I hope a congressman sees this, and starts the train rolling.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah we lack that whole moisture thing here some, hence why the cover crop business has taken time to take hold.  Nobody wants to plant a cover crop that uses needed moisture in a region where 12" of precipitation could be all one gets.

Tillage is cheap, but manual labor to remove weeds is still more costly than even a major dose of roundup at 48oz an acre.  

Contrary to what the organic crowd would like everyone to believe, you would have to drink nearly a gallon of Roundup straight to get seriously ill.

The dark side to the use of glyphosate is that by not also using different modes of action, and using glyphoste only, we can and most likely WILL at some point see Roundup-resistant weeds develop.

There has been cases of Roundup-resistant kochia in the north part of the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up on a wheat farm in SW Kansas. Nothing wrong with roundup. Plus if I remember right, the worst pesticide ever used was all natural nicotinicide. My pops sent me this a while back

biggest myth about organic farming

The majority of Americans believe that organic foods are healthier than food grown using conventional methods. The majority of Americans are wrong. Two systematic reviews, one from Stanford University and the other by a team of researchers based out of the United Kingdom, turned up no evidence that organic foods are more nutritious or lead to better health-related outcomes for consumers.

But the idea that organic foods are healthier isn't even the largest myth out there. That title belongs to the widely held belief that organic farming does not use pesticides. A 2010 poll found that 69% of consumers believe that to be true. Among those who regularly purchase organic food, the notion is even more prevalent. A survey from the Soil Association found that as many as 95% of organic consumers in the UK buy organic to "avoid pesticides."

In fact, organic farmers do use pesticides. The only difference is that they're "natural" instead of "synthetic." At face value, the labels make it sound like the products they describe are worlds apart, but they aren't. A pesticide, whether it's natural or not, is a chemical with the purpose of killing insects (or warding off animals, or destroying weeds, or mitigating any other kind of pest, as our watchful commenters have correctly pointed out). Sadly, however, "natural" pesticides aren't as effective, so organic farmers actually end up using more of them!*

Moreover, we actually know less about the effects of "natural" pesticides. Conventional "synthetic" pesticides are highly regulated and have been for some time. We know that any remaining pesticide residues on both conventional and organic produce aren't harmful to consumers. But, writes agricultural technologist Steve Savage, "we still have no real data about the most likely pesticide residues that occur on organic crops and we are unlikely to get any."

Scientists can examine pesticides before they are sprayed on fields, however. And what do these analyses show?

"Organic pesticides that are studied have been found to be as toxic as synthetic pesticides," Steven Novella, president and co-founder of the New England Skeptical Society, recently wrote.

Organic foods are no safer than conventional foods. Even Katherine DiMatteo, executive director of the Organic Trade Association (OTA), recognizes this as fact. An “organic label does not promise a necessarily safer product," she once remarked (PDF).

So why are the misconceptions so pervasive? According to an in-depth report by Academics Review, a group founded by University of Illinois nutritional scientist Bruce M. Chassy and University of Melbourne food scientist David Tribe, the organic and natural-products industry -- which is worth an estimated $63 billion worldwide -- has engaged in a "pattern of research-informed and intentionally-deceptive marketing and advocacy related practices with the implied use and approval of the U.S. government endorsed USDA Organic Seal." Like their succulent fruits and scrumptious vegetables that we eat, the organic industry has given consumers a nibble of untruth and a taste of fear, and have allowed misunderstanding to sow and spread while they reap the benefits.

Commenting on the extensive report on his popular podcast, The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, Novella had some blunt words for the organic industry.

"People buy organic because they think it's better for the environment; it's not. It's safer; it's not. It tastes better; it doesn't. It's more nutritious; it isn't. And these are all misconceptions that have been deliberately promoted -- according to these authors -- by organic farmers and organic proponents despite the fact that scientific evidence doesn't support any of these claims."  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
FUN
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tillage is not the best for soil conservation and moisture conservation like you mentioned. It increases soil and water runoff, reduces soil organic matter, destroys soil structure, releases CO2, stops carbon sequestration, and takes fuel to power it.  Modern agriculture technology is much better for the environment wether or not the hippies will admit it.  
Plus if you actually pensil it out, tillage is not cheap.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the problem is a bit bigger than you are aware of.  roundup resistant giant ragweed is a major problem in many states and it is only a matter of time before it reaches us here in Canada. farmers have resorted to picking these weeds by hand with paid laborers. in Canada we already have chemical resistant wild oats and many other weeds. in Australia they have already given up on chemical resistant weeds and are trying to eradicate them by burning or grinding the weed seeds. it is a big question as to whether or not new chemicals can be synthesized to deal with the problems now and more extensive problems in the future.  organic farmers may turn out to be your hope for food in the future.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

let's not hyperventilate quite so badly.  china's land area is roughly the size of the US, and they were supporting more than 300M in the early 1800s.  while there would no doubt be upheaval during the transitional period due to lack of agricultural competencies among most of the population, it would be quite doable without industrialized farming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...without industrialized farming we would be dead in the water.  Mass starvation, cannibalism, TEOTWAWKI.

let's not hyperventilate quite so badly.  china's land area is roughly the size of the US, and they were supporting more than 300M in the early 1800s.  while there would no doubt be upheaval during the transitional period due to lack of agricultural competencies among most of the population, it would be quite doable without industrialized farming.

China had 4 major famines in the 1800s that killed over 45 million.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Jesus these dumb fuckers really do want every nation on earth to be a third world country.

Are they that completely blinded by their own Kumbaya environmental bullshit to believe these goofy ideas are realistic?

Modern "royalty" are just as fucktarded and out of touch as ye olde timey royalty was.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I think of how much I consume yearly. HA
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Where do these people think food comes from?

Food libraries?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

the problem is a bit bigger than you are aware of.  roundup resistant giant ragweed is a major problem in many states and it is only a matter of time before it reaches us here in Canada. farmers have resorted to picking these weeds by hand with paid laborers. in Canada we already have chemical resistant wild oats and many other weeds. in Australia they have already given up on chemical resistant weeds and are trying to eradicate them by burning or grinding the weed seeds. it is a big question as to whether or not new chemicals can be synthesized to deal with the problems now and more extensive problems in the future.  organic farmers may turn out to be your hope for food in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a problem, and one that in my industry we are quite aware of and work to prevent.

Management of weeds isn't unlike management of diseases.  Using the same mode of action constantly eventually reduces effectiveness.

Hence why this last year the industry has gone back to recommending adding Ammonium Sulfate to aid in surfactant and minimize hard water effect during application.  When encountering weeds that don't die easily from roundup alone like velvet leaf or lambs quarter or Canadian thistle, we recommend adding other agents into the tank mix, depending on crop and growth stage.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've thought about doing a experiment in September where, for a 2 week period, I only eat what I've grown and any fish caught so far for that season.  My wife laughs.  Initially I said I would do it for a month.  I can get a good amount of root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, parsnip, radishes, onions, etc.  I can freeze green beans.  I think it's doable but I would need seasonings to make it more palatable and I'd probably need a small amount of oil to cook with.  I'm sure it would be enlightening.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just like in North Korea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you could go back to "organic" farming, but then 40% of the population would have to work on farms.

So people would have jobs and be productive?
Just like in North Korea.

Some people here glorify retarded busy work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Worker Bees? You mean people who actually fucking know what they're talking about?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Farmers should call for an end to the UN.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Organic farming or not, you do realize eventually the Earth is going to reach a point where it can't sustain its population, even in industrialized nations? None of us are going to live long enough to see that, but it'll happen unless some catastrophic event manages to wipe out many before population hits the threshold.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Organic farming or not, you do realize eventually the Earth is going to reach a point where it can't sustain its population, even in industrialized nations? None of us are going to live long enough to see that, but it'll happen unless some catastrophic event manages to wipe out many before population hits the threshold.
View Quote
At all times, animals breed until starvation limits population. It's true with humans, right now this minute.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Someone PLEASE make it stop!

Oh and fuck the UN.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've thought about doing a experiment in September where, for a 2 week period, I only eat what I've grown and any fish caught so far for that season.  My wife laughs.  Initially I said I would do it for a month.  I can get a good amount of root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, parsnip, radishes, onions, etc.  I can freeze green beans.  I think it's doable but I would need seasonings to make it more palatable and I'd probably need a small amount of oil to cook with.  I'm sure it would be enlightening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STARVATION DIET.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Lost it at "decimating" pollinators. OH NO REDUCED BY ONE TENTH WE ALL GONNA DIE
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Ending factory farming = reducing system efficiency.  More small farms = increasing the boundary conditions for system leakage; fuel and chemical usage, increased ullage, more machinery...  

A very apt analogy is what melts faster, an ice cube the size of a bowling ball or an equivalent weight of ice the size in peanuts?  Works the same way in nuclear reactors.

There's a reason stores (like walmart) and farms have gotten so big, why consolidation is the trend in virtually every industry greater than 20 years old.  Size increases efficiency, and reduces the number of opportunities for inefficiency.

The U N is clearly smoking some of that treaty-prohibited weed from Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
agenda 21
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.   That's the endgame of the hardcore environmental movement as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you know why the industrial countries can feed the third world countries?

It is because farm output skyrocketed due to industrialized farming.

The UN is full of idiots.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top