Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You're a hero Dad. Best of luck to both of you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Best buddy gave one to his sister. She  was out and about in about a month, him it took 6 weeks .

God bless man, your a hero.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been cleared to donate a kidney to my daughter and we will be going under the knife as soon as next month.  Are there any donors or recipients on GD who can share their experiences with me?
View Quote

Nothing I can share with you with regard to the transplant. I would like you to know that you're a seriously good parent and human for stepping up like that. I wish you, your daughter, and your family the very best.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck yeah Dad.

Prayers for you and her!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I lost a kidney 14 years ago, you will be tired for awhile as your body adjusts, but long term you will be okay
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Waking up in a bathtub of ice is the worst part... then you have to get your wits about you again to figure out what hotel you are in to call for pickup.  And "one size fits all" is BS!!!

J/K man.. cheers.. I bet it wasnt even a hard decision for you.  Praying everything goes well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No experience here, but that is some serious hero stuff to do for your little girl.  
View Quote
This right here.

I worked for a guy that donated one to his wife. I thought that was a pretty good expression of love.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Wishing you and your daughter all the best!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers that all goes well for both of you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't help you there...but I hope nothing but the best for your daughter and you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Look around for Slug-O he is also a 1 kidney kind of guy
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have been cleared to donate a kidney to my daughter and we will be going under the knife as soon as next month.  Are there any donors or recipients on GD who can share their experiences with me?
View Quote
No, but my wife's friend is a kidney transplant recipient from her dad, probably close to 20 years ago now. Healthy, married and has 2 kids (adopted).

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am a recipient of both a kidney and a pancreas. A friend just recently donated a kidney to his girlfriend and as recovery time goes, he was up and mobile in days. I had a fairly rough first week and then things started to piece themselves together. I have had both for over a year now and although its a constant weekly battle trying to keep rejection from happening its been very worth it. The new meds coming out are pretty spectacular. You are awesome for doing this. Overall I have had pretty much the worst case scenario going on, and have pretty good insight as to some of the bad things that can happen. If you have any questions or things that come up, feel free to hit me up at any time.

-Dan
View Quote

Did you get the kidney from a live donor or were both from the same deceased donor.  

I hope the rejection thing will be easier for her because I am her father and she is half me.  The hospital has been GREAT and the social workers are just a good as the docs.  

I knew there would be very candid responses here and it is not all rosy.  Thanks a ton.  Do you feel better now?  If you don't mind me asking, what degraded your organs?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My best mate passed away a few years ago from  renal disease, so I have seen it's effects. You Sir, are a Legend.
You truly are giving her the gift of life for a second time.

Once it is done make sure her blood pressure is kept well under control and ensure anti rejection meds are in the therapeutic ranges.

I hope it all goes well for you both.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
It got a little dusty in here. Praying for nothing but the best for you and your daughter.

So, lemme ask you this. Is there going to be a safe thread that will involve your surgery scars and stitches?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Best of luck to you both!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My best mate passed away a few years ago from  renal disease, so I have seen it's effects. You Sir, are a Legend.
You truly are giving her the gift of life for a second time.

Once it is done make sure her blood pressure is kept well under control and ensure anti rejection meds are in the therapeutic ranges.

I hope it all goes well for you both.
View Quote

She is on heavy BP meds now.  She has IGA Nephropathy, an autoimmune disease in the same family as Lupus.  Keeping her BP in check has done wonders for how she feels even now.  Her GFR is 18, mine is nuke tested at 94, I have room to spare for sure.  They want to do the work before she goes on dialysis.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It got a little dusty in here. Praying for nothing but the best for you and your daughter.

So, lemme ask you this. Is there going to be a safe thread that will involve your surgery scars and stitches?
View Quote

If there is he should post it in Team.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, you sir, are a bad motherfucker of the highest order... praying for a speedy recovery for your daughter and yourself..
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, I logged out and back in.  Thank You!!!

I actually have not reupped this year because we have been stashing fun money to help with her insurance deductibles, which are nut.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Okay, I logged out and back in.  Thank You!!!

I actually have not reupped this year because we have been stashing fun money to help with her insurance deductibles, which are nut.
View Quote

Least I could do. It'll at least make it easier to surf Arfcom during recovery from surgery.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Best of luck will pray for a safe outcome and ongoing health for both of you.

Daughters are awesome. I would give my daughter both of mine if she needed them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Prayers have been answered!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Log out and log back in.
View Quote

good work Sir!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned long ago scars are tattoos with better stories.  I will have three small scars, the surgery is larthoscopic.  The surgeon who will be cutting me, showed me pics of him working on other people, he pops my kidney out through a whole just below my belly button.  I told him I did not give a shit about the scars he could sew me up with wax string as long as I did not get a hernia or an infection.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
you re a great father.

good luck to you and your daughter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I learned long ago scars are tattoos with better stories.  I will have three small scars, the surgery is larthoscopic.  The surgeon who will be cutting me, showed me pics of him working on other people, he pops my kidney out through a whole just below my belly button.  I told him I did not give a shit about the scars he could sew me up with wax string as long as I did not get a hernia or an infection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure to bring a bag of dirt with you to surgery to tell him to rub in the incision to help it heal right.

Video tape it, and post it here. That would be the most GD thing to do while doing the most bad ass thing a father can do for his daughter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No experience here, but that is some serious hero stuff to do for your little girl.  
View Quote
^^^^

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Outstanding OP!  Best of luck and prayers inbound!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Fpni.

Well done dad.  Here's to a speedy recovery for you both.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#32]
May the eternal light shine upon you both.

Your selflessness shall be rewarded evermore.

May your daughter and family prosper forever.

Amen.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
God bless you both...
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#34]

You didn't ask and I hesitate to offend you but I know the costs are astronomical.

I've got $100 with your name on it to help a wee bit.  Anyone want to fire up the Striker phone?  I'm too busy to organize anything but I'll damn sure give.

My son spent some time in the Pediatric ICU at Texas Childrens.  It was the most heart wrenching thing to go through as a father, so I can somewhat feel your pain, sir.  Thousands of blood donors and the their accumulated immune histories in the form of two $12,000 IVIG transfusions helped get him up and about.  This was him at a park the day after he was released:

I absolutely LOVE donors of any kind.  Some of them helped get my kid back to me.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#36]

All the very best and to a speedy recovery.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
God bless you both...
View Quote

+1

What a wonderful gift you could give to your daughter.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome job, dad. Would do the same for my little girl should the need ever arise, without question. Good on you, whether you want to hear it or not,  you are a hero. Best of luck and prayers for both you and your daughter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#39]
My eyes are all watery, so I can't really see my monitor right now to see what I'm typing.  Think I must be allergic to the Perseid  meteor shower.  Or something.

Anyway...

I had a coworker who donated a kidney to his fiancé's uncle.  He and his fiancé broke up before the wedding.

This, however, is your daughter.  I think you're GTG.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You didn't ask and I hesitate to offend you but I know the costs are astronomical.

I've got $100 with your name on it to help a wee bit.  Anyone want to fire up the Striker phone?  I'm too busy to organize anything but I'll damn sure give.

My son spent some time in the Pediatric ICU at Texas Childrens.  It was the most heart wrenching thing to go through as a father, so I can somewhat feel your pain, sir.  Thousands of blood donors and the their accumulated immune histories in the form of two $12,000 IVIG transfusions helped get him up and about.  This was him at a park the day after he was released:

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/6ccc626e-12ed-4cc7-b1c0-1a172f620e97_zpsc5e8d03a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/6ccc626e-12ed-4cc7-b1c0-1a172f620e97_zpsc5e8d03a.jpg</a>

I absolutely LOVE donors of any kind.  Some of them helped get my kid back to me.

View Quote

Damn straight. Good looking kid. God forbid something happens to me but I hope every part of me that's useful gets used for stories like yours and OP's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Contact Slug-O as mentioned already above.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Your man card has now been registered as permanent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

OP is a superhero.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn I hope I can be as good of a dad as you.  Good luck to you and your family.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
You are really doing a wonderful thing! God bless you and your daughter!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn, it's getting dusty in here.

Best wishes to both of y'all, you're a great dad!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#46]
You, Good Sir, are certifiably eleventybillion% badass!

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Good luck.

A coworker did the same thing for his daughter a few years ago.

Everything turned out well for them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#48]
You are my hero OP, godspeed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Wish the best for you both.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#50]
God speed to ypur daughter, you and your family.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top