Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

I agree.  Ron Paul is a libertarian.

Libertarians are way more conservative than Neocons. The only "non-conservative" thing they have going is that they're willing to give more individual liberty to people that the evangelical right think should be controlled. I'll take that compromise.

The list is embarrassingly small.  Here's who I have:

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Jim Bunning, my other Senator.  He's a crotchety old bastard with a big mouth, hates the media, even cussed them out once.  Opposed every bailout that came down the pike.  I like him
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Libertarians are way more conservative than Neocons. The only "non-conservative" thing they have going is that they're willing to give more individual liberty to people that the evangelical right think should be controlled. I'll take that compromise.

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

No, that's not a conservative.  A conservative believes in a strong military.  Libertarians (Ron Paul) and populists (Pat Buchanan) are against a large military and its use unless under very limited objectives.

This isn't a thread about a compromise here, or a compromise there.  It is about people who have a 100% conservative view point.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Rep. Ed Whitfield.

+1, my rep too.  He's been pretty good.  Also, see my above post about Bunning.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And is the aim conservatism or bust? Or is a compromise position preferable to liberals in power?

The republicans ran a squishy democrat-lite candidate for POTUS in 2008.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

No, that's not a conservative.  A conservative believes in a strong military.  Libertarians (Ron Paul) and populists (Pat Buchanan) are against a large military and its use unless under very limited objectives.

This isn't a thread about a compromise here, or a compromise there.  It is about people who have a 100% conservative view point.

Ohhh I see. So you mean neocons that pay the best lip service to limited government while growing the shit out of it.  Should have clarified that was what you were looking for earlier.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No mentions of Jim Demint? Seems like a good solid conservative.

???
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Trent Franks
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

Ohhh I see. So you mean neocons that pay the best lip service to limited government while growing the shit out of it.  Should have clarified that was what you were looking for earlier.

Where did I say that?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did I say that?

Well, you said they have to believe in a "strong military" and DQ'd Ron Paul because he doesn't in your opinion. So I conclude that your opinion defines a "strong military" as the empire building status quo. You like the 35,000 troops in SKorea and the 80,000 in Germany, and the bases in Iraq and generally enjoy us meddling in the world's affairs as the top international police force.

That's not conservative even a little bit. Too much waste of tax payer money.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did I say that?

Well, you said they have to believe in a "strong military" and DQ'd Ron Paul because he doesn't in your opinion. So I conclude that your opinion defines a "strong military" as the empire building status quo. You like the 35,000 troops in SKorea and the 80,000 in Germany, and the bases in Iraq and generally enjoy us meddling in the world's affairs as the top international police force.

Yes it is.  I have not one bad thing to say about Ron Paul.  I disagree with his his isolationist ideas.

I do like the 35,000 troops in South Korea, I do like the 80,000 in Germany.  In order to protect our national interest, we must be able to engage our enemies, quickly and rapidly, which means we must have basis around the world.  If we don't, someone else will.  That is Conservative, that is what Reagan stood for.

If you don't like those principles, fine, but it is text book conservatism.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Sen. David Vitter
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's just say that a Conservative is mainly guided by the original intent of the Constitution.

Whoa.  What a radical concept!
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did I say that?

Yes it is.  I have not one bad thing to say about Ron Paul.  I disagree with his his isolationist ideas.

I do like the 35,000 troops in South Korea, I do like the 80,000 in Germany.  In order to protect our national interest, we must be able to engage our enemies, quickly and rapidly, which means we must have basis around the world.  If we don't, someone else will.  That is Conservative, that is what Reagan stood for.

If you don't like those principles, fine, but it is text book conservatism.

First, Ron Paul doesn't espouse "isolationism"  he is for non-intervention.  Isolation would have us withdrawal from the world and end trades, talks, and support.  Non-intervention would have us remove our government from the affairs of other countries while still having friendly talks and trade.

Second, why as a "Conservative" would one want the federal government out of their own personal day to day life, but then turn around and impose that same federal government on other people just because they live in another country with the justification of "national interest"?

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Let's just say that a Conservative is mainly guided by the original intent of the Constitution.

Whoa.  What a radical concept!

Wouldn't that be a Constitutionalist (not to be confused with the Constitution Party)?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Second, why as a "Conservative" would one want the federal government out of their own personal day to day life, but then turn around and impose that same federal government on other people just because they live in another country with the justification of "national interest"?

Wars happen, all the time.  People may hate us, (Islamic fascists) other countries may want to challenge us (Russia, China, NK) we must keep them in check if we are going to preserve our way of life at home.  Post WW1 should have taught us something about buring our heads in the sand.

ETA, I don't understand how you impose freedom anyway.  Some people are unable to be free and are unable to chose their government.  We must be the country who opposes tyrants.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
How did we get to page 2 without someone mentioning quite possibly the most conservative guy to be in the running for nomination in a long time. Huckabee?

Mike Huckabee is my addition to this thread.

lunyou
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Thaddeus McCotter
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#21]
The Republican Senators from MS, Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker

Also Repbulican Representative Travis Childers and Gregg Harper.

Even our Democrat Representative Gene Taylor is very Conservative.  Why he has a D next to his name, I don't know.

Out of 4 reps, only one of them is a slimy Liberal affirmative-action douchebag.  He was put into office by the welfare leeches in our state.

ETA:  I forgot our Governor, Haley Barbour.  He did a damn fine job and attracted national media attention with his handling of the Katrina aftermath.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
conservative fiscally or conservative "don't let those queers marry!" socially?

You are either conservative, or  your are not...............there is no hyphenated or qualifier needed.

So does one need to hold both fiscal and social conservative beliefs, or just one, or just one of the two?

Both

untrue.

I consider myself a Conservative.  Gay marriage and abortion are non issues for me.  Both should be states rights and, ideally, the government should be removed from marriage entirely.  I believe in a smaller government, with the exception of a strong military.  I believe in free markets, capitalism and contract law.  I believe in lower taxes and less entitlement programs.  I believe in the importance of the right to keep and bear arms.  What does this make me other than a Conservative?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are either conservative, or  your are not...............there is no hyphenated or qualifier needed.

All or nothing?  Who gets to decide?

I'm not going to go through the litany of beliefs, but a conservative is one who believes in life, liberty, a strong and engaging military, the Constitution, a federal government that is small as possible as well as traditional American values.

But by your definition, liberty only applies to the approved groups.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did I say that?

VTH, George Bush Jr. Conservative under your def. or not?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

So Kim Jong Il was more conservative than Ron Paul?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does one need to hold both fiscal and social conservative beliefs, or just one, or just one of the two?

Both

untrue.

I consider myself a Conservative.  Gay marriage and abortion are non issues for me.  Both should be states rights and, ideally, the government should be removed from marriage entirely.  I believe in a smaller government, with the exception of a strong military.  I believe in free markets, capitalism and contract law.  I believe in lower taxes and less entitlement programs.  I believe in the importance of the right to keep and bear arms.  What does this make me other than a Conservative?

Mostly libertarian, like me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to go through the litany of beliefs, but a conservative is one who believes in life, liberty, a strong and engaging military, the Constitution, a federal government that is small as possible as well as traditional American values.

Now where did I say that?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

Don't be ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both

So to be a True Conservative you have to hold a hodgepodge of conflicting views, somehow reconcile a profession of small government, liberty and thrift with an authoritarian interventionism at home and abroad, and subscribe to a codified and enforcable morality based not on reason but on emotion?

Wow, no wonder it's such a short list comprised primarily of women.

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

untrue.

You would be referring to being a "Little L" libertarian then, correct?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#31]
FWIW, I do not consider myself a true "Conservative"..........
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

untrue.

You would be referring to being a "Little L" libertarian then, correct?

yup
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are either conservative, or your are not...............there is no hyphenated or qualifier needed.

There's the rub.

The word conservative has been misused to the point of becoming meaningless.

The word conservative has been misused to the point of becoming meaningless.

This
5sub

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both

So to be a True Conservative you have to hold a hodgepodge of conflicting views, somehow reconcile a profession of small government, liberty and thrift with an authoritarian interventionism at home and abroad, and subscribe to a codified and enforcable morality based not on reason but on emotion?

Wow, no wonder it's such a short list comprised primarily of women.

In a way, yes but not at the length of which you d describe.

In political thought, there seems to always be contradictions.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Whoa. What a radical concept!

Let's just say that a Conservative is.....guided by the.........Constitution.

Works for me.
5sub
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now where did I say that?

Explicitly, you didn't. You implied it by responding to the question of whether conservatism entails not allowing gays to marry with the statement that you're either conservative or you're not. If being held hostage by the Bible-thumping, gay-hating religiotards and narrowly defining which groups of people are worthy of individual liberty is "conservative", then I'm at a loss for how to describe my politics.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[

+ infinty(2)

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#38]
President of Congress

1. John Hancock (Massachusetts)

New Hampshire

2. Josiah Bartlett
   3. William Whipple
   4. Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts

5. Samuel Adams
   6. John Adams
   7. Robert Treat Paine
   8. Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island

9. Stephen Hopkins
   10. William Ellery

Connecticut

11. Roger Sherman
   12. Samuel Huntington
   13. William Williams
   14. Oliver Wolcott

New York

15. William Floyd
   16. Philip Livingston
   17. Francis Lewis
   18. Lewis Morris

New Jersey

19. Richard Stockton
   20. John Witherspoon
   21. Francis Hopkinson
   22. John Hart
   23. Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania

24. Robert Morris
   25. Benjamin Rush
   26. Benjamin Franklin
   27. John Morton
   28. George Clymer
   29. James Smith
   30. George Taylor
   31. James Wilson
   32. George Ross

Delaware

33. George Read
   34. Caesar Rodney
   35. Thomas McKean

Maryland

36. Samuel Chase
   37. William Paca
   38. Thomas Stone
   39. Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia

40. George Wythe
   41. Richard Henry Lee
   42. Thomas Jefferson
   43. Benjamin Harrison
   44. Thomas Nelson, Jr.
   45. Francis Lightfoot Lee
   46. Carter Braxton

North Carolina

47. William Hooper
   48. Joseph Hewes
   49. John Penn

South Carolina

50. Edward Rutledge
   51. Thomas Heyward, Jr.
   52. Thomas Lynch, Jr.
   53. Arthur Middleton

Georgia

54. Button Gwinnett
   55. Lyman Hall
   56. George Walton

Signer details
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jim Inhofe

Bobby Jindal

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Explicitly, you didn't. You implied it by responding to the question of whether conservatism entails not allowing gays to marry with the statement that you're either conservative or you're not. If being held hostage by the Bible-thumping, gay-hating religiotards and narrowly defining which groups of people are worthy of individual liberty is "conservative", then I'm at a loss for how to describe my politics.

Ok, my definition of a conservative does entail not allowing gays to marry as traditional American way of life involves marriage between a man and a woman.  It isn't a radical concept, it is in fact an idea shared by 70% of the population.  Although I couldn't care any less about the issue, not being able to be married as a gay couple really isn't what I would call, oppressed.

Just also because someone is a evangelical Christian, doesn't also mean that they are not capable of allowing others to live the life that they choose.

There are many political descriptions, and "Conservatism" isn't the only philosophy that can describe someone who generally, on average appreciates liberty and freedom.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#42]
BTW President Obama is against gay marriage.  Would you say he was a social conservative?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ron Paul

Yep.

Nope

Jim DeMint
Inhofe
Ron Paul
Michelle Bachman
Sarah Palin

Don't be ridiculous.

Which politician, Ron Paul or Kim Jon Il, is more supportive of having a powerful military used to bully the rest of the world?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Hell I'd vote for Vladimir Putin if he was running as a conservative here, at least he has the stones to kick some ass and skip the name taking. All this "we are above being ugly" bullshit is how you become irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
BTW President Obama is against gay marriage.  Would you say he was a social conservative?

You've made my point for me. Standing in opposition to personal liberty is precisely the kind of philosophy I would expect to be embraced by a hard-left, tinpot, would-be dictator.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Bowling Green, KY  Ophthalmologist and Republican candidate for the US Senate, Dr. Rand Paul.
Conservative enough to meet ARFCOM's STRICT criteria without all the drama of his father. I
Dr. Rand Paul on the ISSUES
Well spoken and not afraid to tell the truth, even if it makes some die-hard Republicans still playing the politics game wince.
YouTube videos
I'm a Republican Precinct Captain and so hard Right I'm up against the wall! I'm as Conservative as one can be. Dr. Paul is a TRUE CONSERVATIVE and I'm going to work my ass off to get him elected.
ETA: For what it's worth, Congressman Ron Paul is NOT A DAMN ISOLATIONIST! That's the MSM crap they've put out. He believes that war is the final option but it's never off the table. He believes in a strong military but that we aren't the world's police. He also believes in trade and friendly relations with other nations but no foreign entanglements. his position is best described as  "well armed neutrality".
Where Rand and his father may disagree is that Rand understands there is a need for some American forces to be deployed overseas. I've heard his father state that everyone's got to come home. Having heard Rand speak, I'm convinced he is PRECISELY what a conservative should be. But watch the videos and judge for yourself.
And need we quote Ronald Reagan from his 1975 Reason Magazine interview again?
"If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've made my point for me. Standing in opposition to personal liberty is precisely the kind of philosophy I would expect to be embraced by a hard-left, tinpot, would-be dictator.

Dude, look at all of the problems we face right now, and your main concern is allowing gays to marry?  Not allowing gays to marry isn't what I would call dictatorial or despotic, particularly when most of the country is against it. Not that it makes it any more right, but it is hardly oppression.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, look at all of the problems we face right now, and your main concern is allowing gays to marry?  Not allowing gays to marry isn't what I would call dictatorial or despotic, particularly when most of the country is against it. Not that it makes it any more right, but it is hardly oppression.

IN the grand pecking order of importance, no, it's not important. The issue does prove illustrative, though, as a litmus test for where someone stands on individual freedom. Someone who believes the .gov should be able to dictate relationship status between consenting adults is likely to approve of various other governmental intrusions. It is also a useful issue to use to highlight the rift between religious right neoconservatism and traditional "conservatism", which is actually classical liberalism.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sen.Tom Coburn

Congressman Mike Pence

That'd be my rep.

Also Mitch Daniels and Thad McCotter

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#50]
VTHOKIESHOOTER you should have know better, next time just yell food fight.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top