User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, if you consider the fact that *most* traffic stops are ostensibly about improving public/road safety,

then why wouldn't it be not only be practical - but, I daresay - a major consideration for the initiating LEO to evaluate

the stop/pull over area and its' safety ramifications upon both himself and other traffic?  

Perhaps even resorting to using their PA system to direct the driver to a safer spot?  Or am I simply expecting too

much?

View Quote

Cops do.  Unfortunately, the roads are full of motorists who drive with their heads up their ass which is why they got stopped in the first place.  If you see a poorly selected location for a traffic stop that is usually what the motorist chose.  A cop can only choose when the lights go on.  There were times where I did not want to get out of the car because the motorist ended up stopping other than where I had planned (see previous post) but was forced to get out and tell the motorist to move ahead because they could not hear me over the PA because they were playing their music too loud.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got my ass chewed by a OKHP for driving an extra 20 yards to get off of a major highway and onto a service road.  I explained that I didn't want either of us to get hit by a car going 80+ mph, but he said that I better pull over immediately next time.  It was literally 20 yards, but at least I just got a warning instead of a citation.  Some LEO's are great and some are assholes.
View Quote

You got a warning, so I take it that cop was not an asshole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Didn't know there was a day mode for emergency lights. But then again, I'm used to a light bar that was installed BACKWARDS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
#TrafficStopsInParkingLots

Here is an article that turned out well but could have had multiple fatalities

Story

"A police officer had a close call Friday morning after a crash involving his police vehicle.

Authorities say a FedEx truck hit his car as he stood on the side of I-85 during a traffic stop.

The Braselton police officer pulled over a car on the shoulder of I-85 southbound just before the Chateau Elan exit. He was outside of his car when a truck slammed into the patrol car."

There is also video of the impact.  How hard is it to have people drive to an exit and stop at a place that is safe for everyone involved?

If I am pulled over for a traffic issue I will proceed to a safe place.

Those guys generally run enormous SUVs, and they are ALWAYS out there on 85. Seen them plenty of time with their vehicles in the travel lanes. They also like to use day mode at night, so you can't see squat.

We do have a move over law. Either move over or slow down below the speed limit.

In for the fun.

Didn't know there was a day mode for emergency lights. But then again, I'm used to a light bar that was installed BACKWARDS.

We have State Patrol, Gwinnett County Police and now Braselton Police running speed traps on I85. I use Waze, so I'm good to go.

I saw an accident happen in that area a month or two ago. Braselton Popo were the first on the scene. I'll give them props for that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Back about 15 years ago I got pulled over near Gary, Indiana on my way back to KC from Detroit. I was pretty pissed about it from the start as I was only going about 5 over. So being the young punk I was at the time, instead of pulling onto the shoulder I just stopped there in the right lane. He's on his PA telling me to move onto the shoulder but I just sat there. Finally he comes walking up and asks why I stopped in the right lane. I told him I didn't want to risk a flat tire from all the debris on the shoulder and that if he was gonna give me a ticket he was gonna have to earn it. So he wrote me the speeding ticket and said if didn't get the fuck out of there in 3 seconds I was getting another ticket for obstructing traffic. Looking back now, I'm really surprised he didn't make a bigger deal out of it as I definitely would have deserved it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Cop pulled me over on a 2 lane country road where it was miles until the next intersection.
It is raining.  At night.  And this particular road is really busy for a country road and drunks

seem to like it.  Crashes almost daily.

Only little gated field entrances along the way with room for only 1 car to pull in, for miles.

Stupid cop yelled at me for not pulling over sooner because I was looking for driveway big enough

for both of us to pull into and get off the road.

Next time  I'm stopping right in the middle of the road and blocking both ways on the downslope

of a big hill!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
cop lights me up, i pull right the fuck over
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I watched a woman come to a compete stop in left lane of the GW parkway in MD once, after a cop lit her up.  It's two lanes each way, 55 MPH, and she had all kinds of choices:  grass on the left, shoulder on the right, and several exits per mile.  Nope, she just hit the brakes and stopped right there.

I suspect people react in all kinds of crazy ways when they get lit up, so I don't think any type of guidance to pull off safely onto the next exit or into the next parking lot would be followed at all by most people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

See, this is what I don't understand. I can fully comprehend getting pissed if the car you're stopping spent 5 minutes driving down the road then pulls in at the grocery store and the driver tries to get out and go get his lunch, but getting pissy at a driver for taking one more minute driving the speed limit to find a parking lot to pull into makes no sense to me. I'll say it again, some people are just wound too tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried slowly driving to a safe place once.  The officer wasn't having any of that.  His life, his rules.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

See, this is what I don't understand. I can fully comprehend getting pissed if the car you're stopping spent 5 minutes driving down the road then pulls in at the grocery store and the driver tries to get out and go get his lunch, but getting pissy at a driver for taking one more minute driving the speed limit to find a parking lot to pull into makes no sense to me. I'll say it again, some people are just wound too tight.

How does the LEO know you are going to be stopping in the next 'minute'?  Or maybe next 3 or 4 minutes?  Or that you plan on stopping at all?  Telepathy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He did move over one lane.  Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fed ex driver is screwed. We have a law that you must move over one lane or slow below the speed limit when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road when it's lights are on.

He did move over one lane.  Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction.

Sometimes, those lights are mesmerizing.  Like a moth to a flame.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had a cop MF me because I drove 1000 extra feet to get off a busy road. He said next time I dont pull over immediately he would arrest me on the spot.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If there's an option, I always pull onto a small road or parking lot, makes me feel better and I'm sure the LEOs appreciate it as well.
I had a cop MF me because I drove 1000 extra feet to get off a busy road. He said next time I dont pull over immediately he would arrest me on the spot.    

"Officer, you talk like a fag and your shit is all retarded."

Works like a charm with guys like that...  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope that their speeding ticket quota was important enough to put peoples lives at risk  

Thanks for reminding me. The Sheriff was always on my ass about that quota.

Regardless of what your situation was, it happens.

I'm sorry people like me are just annoyed at your kind because of prior experience. For example, the State Patrol frequently pulls people over here during rush hour and bottle necks traffic. There's a point where preforming a "public service" becomes a public nuisance and using common sense should prevail.

Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law.
When they endanger the safety of more people by enforcement than the person they are stopping...a case could be made that they are indeed assholes.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When they endanger the safety of more people by enforcement than the person they are stopping...a case could be made that they are indeed assholes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope that their speeding ticket quota was important enough to put peoples lives at risk  

I'm sorry people like me are just annoyed at your kind because of prior experience. For example, the State Patrol frequently pulls people over here during rush hour and bottle necks traffic. There's a point where preforming a "public service" becomes a public nuisance and using common sense should prevail.

Have you ever seen Society admit it is wrong, ever?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If theres a chance, i turn my flashers on
and pull into a lot/road.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
If they want to stand in the middle of the road and play chicken with oncoming traffic, it ain't my problem.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How does the LEO know you are going to be stopping in the next 'minute'?  Or maybe next 3 or 4 minutes?  Or that you plan on stopping at all?  Telepathy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried slowly driving to a safe place once.  The officer wasn't having any of that.  His life, his rules.

I used the past tense. He knows when the car actually stops after the fact. He can be pissed all he wants while youre still driving, but to continue being pissed after you proceeded to a safe location and stopped? Makes no sense to me. Just seems like some are wound too tight.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last Nov 7th.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What quotas or are you are talking out of your ass again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What quotas or are you are talking out of your ass again?

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't have quotas, I can write as many as I want.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe this wouldn't be such a problem if people paid attention while they were driving, and moved over a lane. I've had people speed up to block me from merging left to give a cop some space...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not going to be threatened and intimated with eluding charges which is most states is a felony for waiting 5 minutes to stop.

You're probably a lot more likely to get a ticket too.

Cops here on this board have said before that they pick the time to put on the lights, just stop where they ask.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some cops will give you grief if you do not stop immediately. They are the ones that picked when they wanted to stop you, I wouldn't try to manuever the stop to a different location.

They can give me grief.   There was a fatality earlier this year in the northeast (PA?) where a scumbag appeared to target a cop on a roadside stop.   Perhaps five minutes and the cop and offending driver car could have been in a safe spot.

Not going to be threatened and intimated with eluding charges which is most states is a felony for waiting 5 minutes to stop.

You're probably a lot more likely to get a ticket too.

Cops here on this board have said before that they pick the time to put on the lights, just stop where they ask.

Aye, I'll pick the spot to the best of my ability, so that the stop will be in the safest spot possible for all involved, motorist, passerby, and me.

Having said that, I've had people stop, immediately, in the lane of travel, drive for miles, pull across several lanes from the right lane to the far left, and all sorts of other weird behavior.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#22]

PA?

I'm just going to say many times I've used the public address to direct people to a safe area or side street. Even with their windows down they look at me like I have three heads.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If there's an option, I always pull onto a small road or parking lot, makes me feel better and I'm sure the LEOs appreciate it as well.
View Quote

F that, if I'm paying an extra tax I'm using public space.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back about 15 years ago I got pulled over near Gary, Indiana on my way back to KC from Detroit. I was pretty pissed about it from the start as I was only going about 5 over. So being the young punk I was at the time, instead of pulling onto the shoulder I just stopped there in the right lane. He's on his PA telling me to move onto the shoulder but I just sat there. Finally he comes walking up and asks why I stopped in the right lane. I told him I didn't want to risk a flat tire from all the debris on the shoulder and that if he was gonna give me a ticket he was gonna have to earn it. So he wrote me the speeding ticket and said if didn't get the fuck out of there in 3 seconds I was getting another ticket for obstructing traffic. Looking back now, I'm really surprised he didn't make a bigger deal out of it as I definitely would have deserved it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some cops will give you grief if you do not stop immediately.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I live on a State highway with no shoulder on a corner lot. Last time I was stopped by the local popo I was a block away from the house. I turned my 4 ways on and pulled into my drive, which also wraps around the house and around to the side street. I got the talk about not stopping immediately, after which i pointed out the no shoulder, busy road and it was safer for of of us to get off the road and I'd do it again in the future.

He didn't like that, but I didn't get a ticket. As he went to back out I told him he could take the drive around the house and out to the side street, he nodded and did.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Back when I hauled haz-mat I got a serious ass chewing and got to take a seat in the back of at patrol Tahoe for putting my 4-ways on and proceeding a couple of miles at 55mph to the next exit and getting off the road.  The LA DOT officer threatened to arrest me on the spot for evading arrest, failure to stop, and whatever else he could think of.  And his 4 friends that showed up agreed.

I was polite and calm and said he could it he wanted to but I would beat the charge- And my company would have backed me up with the best lawyers in the state, too.  There was no way I was going to stop on the shoulder of I-10 in Louisiana,  I was hauling a 53 foot van trailer full of hazardous waste from the Katrina cleanup.  The placarding looked something like this:

I've never been arrested, never been charged with anything, never had any trouble with law enforcement.  I haven't even had so much as a speeding ticket since 1994 and I've driven a million miles.  I'm sorry if I disrespected their authority.  I'm sorry I didn't agree with their choice of a good spot to pull me over for an inspection.  I simply don't care.  It was just safer for me and safer for him and safer for every person in the area to be off the road.  

In the end I was free to go after a couple of hours.  I got no tickets and had no violations after a complete DOT inspection.  It was bullshit.

-p.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I used the past tense. He knows when the car actually stops after the fact. He can be pissed all he wants while youre still driving, but to continue being pissed after you proceeded to a safe location and stopped? Makes no sense to me. Just seems like some are wound too tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being Human, how does it work?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just stop in the middle of the road.... Don't even pull over anymore.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my ass chewed by a OKHP for driving an extra 20 yards to get off of a major highway and onto a service road.  I explained that I didn't want either of us to get hit by a car going 80+ mph, but he said that I better pull over immediately next time.  It was literally 20 yards, but at least I just got a warning instead of a citation.  Some LEO's are great and some are assholes.  

I just stop in the middle of the road.... Don't even pull over anymore.  

Do like the idiots I see more and more of, pull over to the left shoulder.  I'm sure the cops must really love that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine did that last winter. The cop read him the riot act for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A good friend of mine did that last winter. The cop read him the riot act for that.
<<<<<--------------

I once got pulled over and had 'cuffs waved at me for doing this, and a real ass-chewing, so next time I just pulled over right when the lights went on.

The roadside started to collapse under the trailer, so he let me go. Almost could not take off, the hole was so deep.

Now, I just stop, right in the travel lane. This creates enough of a ruckus and road block, I usually get waved along.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know I appreciate it.

I try and turn the lights on when I perceive the driver sees the option to pull into a parking lot or side street. Doesn't always work out.

MPD165
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I turned on my hazards and headed for an exit on a very busy Kansas City interstate once.  Motorcycle cop was pissed.  Pull over immediately!!!!!  Only reason I wanted off was officer safety.  It was a traffic madhouse.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't speak for other officers, but if it's obvious you're looking for a safe spot and not trying to run, I'm perfectly fine with it and prefer it (I don't like getting hit by cars.)  Some dudes are power tripping dicks though, so it's luck of the draw.

That said, holy balls, why are some people attracted to all the blinking lights? Move the fuck over.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It could also be your funeral.  I see dangerous situations for what they are and a routine traffic stop will not put my life at risk.

The cop can yell at me if he chooses, but he (and I) will not end up dead.

Felony alluding?   That is just silly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. Idiot wanted to pull me over on a blind curve with no shoulder. I say screw it now, not worth getting yelled at and it's his funeral.

It could also be your funeral.  I see dangerous situations for what they are and a routine traffic stop will not put my life at risk.

The cop can yell at me if he chooses, but he (and I) will not end up dead.

Felony alluding?   That is just silly.

There is many examples of people in this very thread of people having a bad experience waiting to pull over at a safe spot. There is at least example of a cop threatening to arrest for it a few posts below this one I am quoted. It is not silly, it is reality.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
It's hit or miss.

Last time I got pulled over I went down the street and around the corner to a park. Cop didn't mind.

Time before I tried to make it to a parking lot as it was a narrowroad with little shoulder and the dude flipped out on the PA so I stopped right there in the lane as that's what he seemed to want.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If they want to stand in the middle of the road and play chicken with oncoming traffic, it ain't my problem.
View Quote

Same here -shrugs-
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flashers on, slow to 5 MPH under the speed limit.  Call 911 and advise them of your intentions.

If a new standard is developed it would take time to educate everyone.   TV and radio PSAs would help.

Within a year it could be common practice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Back when I hauled haz-mat I got a serious ass chewing and got to take a seat in the back of at patrol Tahoe for putting my 4-ways on and proceeding a couple of miles at 55mph to the next exit and getting off the road.  The LA DOT officer threatened to arrest me on the spot for evading arrest, failure to stop, and whatever else he could think of.  And his 4 friends that showed up agreed.

I was polite and calm and said he could it he wanted to but I would beat the charge- And my company would have backed me up with the best lawyers in the state, too.  There was no way I was going to stop on the shoulder of I-10 in Louisiana,  I was hauling a 53 foot van trailer full of hazardous waste from the Katrina cleanup.  The placarding looked something like this:

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/camera035.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/camera035.jpg</a>

I've never been arrested, never been charged with anything, never had any trouble with law enforcement.  I haven't even had so much as a speeding ticket since 1994 and I've driven a million miles.  I'm sorry if I disrespected their authority.  I'm sorry I didn't agree with their choice of a good spot to pull me over for an inspection.  I simply don't care.  It was just safer for me and safer for him and safer for every person in the area to be off the road.  

In the end I was free to go after a couple of hours.  I got no tickets and had no violations after a complete DOT inspection.  It was bullshit.

-p.

View Quote

Yet another example of being threatened with arrest for this behavior.

Exactly as I thought. Not sure why some insist being stubborn and not realizing many cops aren't going to appreciate this gesture.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I was chewed out because I pulled over the the right shoulder instead of the larger left shoulder on I-30 in Fort Worth.  And yes they have quotas and have been sued for using them.  As the dispatcher would say on the scanner; we don't have quotas, we have "goals".
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I look at like this.  They choose WHEN to light you up for the stop.  Since they have the choice of when to do it, there's a reason they are stopping you where they are.  If they wanted to be 2 miles down the road at the kwik-e-mart, they would have waited to light you up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I can't speak for other officers, but if it's obvious you're looking for a safe spot and not trying to run, I'm perfectly fine with it and prefer it (I don't like getting hit by cars.)  Some dudes are power tripping dicks though, so it's luck of the draw.

That said, holy balls, why are some people attracted to all the blinking lights? Move the fuck over.
View Quote

It's simple.

The new blue lights are particularly dis-orientating - that color fucks with your head and screws up depth perception.

Additionally, they are too bright, and there are usually too many of them.

furthermore, the alternating strobe action fucks with your focusing mechanism, especially at night.

You see a momentary blue flash, and then another flash someplace else, and another, and another.

Where are they coming from?

As you try to figure this out, you become target fixated on the general area, and drive where you are looking, right into the cruiser.

Solution - Turn some of the lights off, turn the others down in brightness, and slow the alternating flash rate down.

It might be 'cool' to have a cruiser dressed up like a Christmas Tree, with more flashing lights than an amberlamps,

but it does NOTHING for anybody's safety, and can be detrimental to your health.

Have a look at your own lights sometime.

Not in a parking lot, but on the side of the road at traffic speed. You might be surprised, and unimpressed.

It would be interesting to see the collision rate of disabled / dark vehicles in the breakdown lane vs. lit-up cruisers.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law revenue generating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry people like me are just annoyed at your kind because of prior experience. For example, the State Patrol frequently pulls people over here during rush hour and bottle necks traffic. There's a point where performing a "public service" becomes a public nuisance and using common sense should prevail.

Wow what a bunch of assholes.  How dare they do their job and enforce traffic law revenue generating.

Fixed it for you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top