BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find and fix a whine in a diff.  Lazy.   I'd have taken it to a diff shop and sent them the bill.
View Quote
Some dealers really suck. This goes for all makes.

Luckily my dealer is awesome. When my truck was in for a week due to a hood issue, they gave me a brand new 2016 Tacoma for a service loaner. The time before that when they were looking at the issue, they gave me a Prius for an afternoon. They don't even bat an eye at putting you in a service loaner if needed. And if you have a problem, they actually fix it. They figured out that keeping customers happy means repeat business.

When it's time for me to get a new Corolla for a daily driver, I will buy it from them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are you saying Toyotas built in this country or Mexico are NOT built to Toyota specs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like it was totally worth flushing our American manufacturing economy down the toilet over these Japanese cars.

The Toyota Tacoma is built in the U.S. as are many of their vehicles.

Are you saying Toyotas built in this country or Mexico are NOT built to Toyota specs?

They have to be or they wouldn't be released.  That or QC/QA isn't doing their job and passing junk.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Trade in value is deducted from the vehicle price in Texas (for tax purposes). So a $10k trade in on a $20k vehicle you'd only pay taxes on $10k. I didn't have to pay any taxes on the mustang since the truck was actually worth more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so you lost like what 30% depreciation?

Dealer gave me $1500 less than I paid for it in trade in value.

Here in WA state you would have also lost the $4000 or so sales tax on the original purchase also ( unsure of sales tax in TX ? )

Trade in value is deducted from the vehicle price in Texas (for tax purposes). So a $10k trade in on a $20k vehicle you'd only pay taxes on $10k. I didn't have to pay any taxes on the mustang since the truck was actually worth more.

Same in WA on a trade in. You only pay sales tax on the difference. So contrary to that other post, you wouldn't lose much/any of the tax paid....
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Luckily my dealer is awesome. When my truck was in for a week due to a hood issue, they gave me a brand new 2016 Tacoma for a service loaner. The time before that when they were looking at the issue, they gave me a Prius for an afternoon. They don't even bat an eye at putting you in a service loaner if needed. And if you have a problem, they actually fix it. They figured out that keeping customers happy means repeat business.

When it's time for me to get a new Corolla for a daily driver, I will buy it from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find and fix a whine in a diff.  Lazy.   I'd have taken it to a diff shop and sent them the bill.

No really - Toyota does not know what the issue is as of now. Most dealers have thrown parts at them and replaced differentials only to have the noise remain.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My Ranger is pretty much all made in the US... after I ditched the German V6 and French automatic trans for a V8 made in Cleveland and a trans made in Detroit.

Even though it was "assembled" in Louisville (well before I got it, it has pretty much been reassembled in my driveway since then)

Honestly when the new Tacos first came out I was impressed they came out with a new manual transmission... I wish more companies did that.

And yes, the 5.0 is a very nice car OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:News flash.   Auto companies are no longer "American".  They are global mega-corporations that span hundreds of countries.   Profits get distributed around the globe.   Everytime you spout this nonsense,  you sound like some cousin-fucking hillbilly.

My Ranger is pretty much all made in the US... after I ditched the German V6 and French automatic trans for a V8 made in Cleveland and a trans made in Detroit.

Even though it was "assembled" in Louisville (well before I got it, it has pretty much been reassembled in my driveway since then)

Honestly when the new Tacos first came out I was impressed they came out with a new manual transmission... I wish more companies did that.

Hell,  I wish I could have slapped a manual into my 2000 Silverado.   The 4L60E transmissions are fucking junk.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
You can have the t0y0ta junk, been there done that. Sold my 2015 TRD in January, never again!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I drove an 09 for about a year before I got sick of the trucks BS.  Transmission shudder, steering wheel flutter, poor mileage, and didn't like anything more than 200 lbs of stuff in the bed.  Dealer gave me $1k less than I bought it for.  It was a huge POS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The ghosts of Henry Ford, the Dodge Brothers and William Durant will haunt you in your sleep soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
boy i just love reading lemon threads. later this week i will pick up my first-ever new car, and first new Japanese car anyone in my family has ever purchased since the dawn of time. 2016 4runner trail prem. wish me luck.

The ghosts of Henry Ford, the Dodge Brothers and William Durant will haunt you in your sleep soon.

The ghost of walter p chrysler haunts the western ks town where i grew up. the ghost of durant haunts my 1955 belair 2d hdtp with ss396 big block.

ETA : picked up tonight, already put 23 miles on it. i hope it don't splode - but if it does i hope it does in the first 25k
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
you gotta be kidding me a thread beating up Toyota's.  Trust me I was Toyota for life.  Then I switched to Chrysler/ram. Now I want back in a Toyota sometimes.  There is a vast difference in quality.  I don't know shit about vehicles but I know Chrysler is shit for the most part.  Ironically I wouldn't use anything but cummins for work, wish they weren't sleeping together
.  So far my favorite part of my new eco diesel is the engine and tranny..  I WISH the rest of the truck was built in Italy or Germany cause the mopar Chinese chryslter shit half of it drags down what is an incredible half ton.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Does it have oil in it?

Did they switch to the 8.2 rear locker from the 2010+ FJC and 4runner? I've never heard of any failures or problems. Even the old 8" locker diffs were pretty fool proof until you started putting on big tires that I haven't seen on much on 3rd gen tacos.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like it was totally worth flushing our American manufacturing economy down the toilet over these Japanese cars.
View Quote

The irony is that the Japanese built 4-Runner is reported to be much better in QC than the Texas built Tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did they switch to the 8.2 rear locker from the 2010+ FJC and 4runner? I've never heard of any failures or problems. Even the old 8" locker diffs were pretty fool proof until you started putting on big tires that I haven't seen on much on 3rd gen tacos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New 8.75".
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]
The smell of BS on the OP is strong, bought a truck that was a lemon and then replaced it with a mustang..total BS outcome on a most likely BS story.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The smell of BS on the OP is strong, bought a truck that was a lemon and then replaced it with a mustang..total BS outcome on a most likely BS story.
View Quote

What exactly do I have to gain by lying? I had a Mustang before and it worked fine. Wanted to try something out and had never heard anything bad about the Tacoma. I bought one and two months/5500 miles later, that's my list of problems. Go check around tacomaworld forums and the Toyota Tacoma enthusiast facebook page if you want more proof of widespread issues with the third gen. god forbid someone not have a perfect experience with Toyota.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hell,  I wish I could have slapped a manual into my 2000 Silverado.   The 4L60E transmissions are fucking junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:News flash.   Auto companies are no longer "American".  They are global mega-corporations that span hundreds of countries.   Profits get distributed around the globe.   Everytime you spout this nonsense,  you sound like some cousin-fucking hillbilly.

No joke. I'd like the manual option on my '99 Astro as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is probably not the best comparison to make.  If you were alive and old enough to drive in the 1960's and 1970's, you would know that Japanese cars were notorious for being a big POS.  They had cheap interiors, and rusted faster than you could wash one if you lived in a cold climate.  And durability of the drivetrain was no better than an American car of the time.  In fact, ANY car with over 100K on the clock was considered a miracle of sorts.

Then came the 1980's, and the Japanese cars began to get the reputation they have today.  They learned from their mistakes.  It took the domestics (and the Europeans for that matter) a while to see that the Japanese formula for success was the way of the future for automobile sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly. If it weren't for the Japanese imports, the American car companies would probably still be offering 12K mile 12 month warranties.  Honda and Toyota forced improvement in the products.  In the 60's and 70's a lot of domestic cars were junk.  Not many could make it over 100K.

That is probably not the best comparison to make.  If you were alive and old enough to drive in the 1960's and 1970's, you would know that Japanese cars were notorious for being a big POS.  They had cheap interiors, and rusted faster than you could wash one if you lived in a cold climate.  And durability of the drivetrain was no better than an American car of the time.  In fact, ANY car with over 100K on the clock was considered a miracle of sorts.

Then came the 1980's, and the Japanese cars began to get the reputation they have today.  They learned from their mistakes.  It took the domestics (and the Europeans for that matter) a while to see that the Japanese formula for success was the way of the future for automobile sales.

I don't think I explained myself the right way. What I was trying to say was American cars built in the 1960's  and 1970's were junk with a 12k 12 month warranty.  They would have probably stayed that way until the  L
Japanese brought in their quality vehicles which seemed to run forever.  Example: My Dad had a 1978 Toyota truck.  It ran over 250k miles. Rusted out but people were amazed that an engine could go that far without problems
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Toyota fucked up when they made the new tacomas. The '16 TRD Offroad I had (good riddance) was not even close to being the truck I'm used to paying for from Toyota. You're not the only one who has been plagued with problems. My blind spot sensors went out as soon as I drove it in the rain one day, had a piece of window trim that would make this god awful humming noise any time there was a cross wind, transmission shifted like it couldn't make up its mind. On top of that, FORGET trying to tow a side by side up a bridge, damn thing was pegged out on the tach and sounding like it was about to blow the fuck up. Fuel mileage is better on my 7200lb diesel on 37's, that's pathetic Toyota, seriously.

My last 5 vehicles were toyotas, but I'm done with them unless I pick up an older one just for an offroad toy. I still love my '99 4Runner, they made that one right, but I'll never buy a new Tacoma again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because US designed vehicles are so much "better"?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#19]
This is why I bought a 4Runner instead of a Tacoma.

Proven, 4.0, solid performer.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been warning people about the 3rd gen Tacoma for a year now.  

Toyota picked up mine a little over a week ago on a buy back.  Worst car I ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Calling assholes out for supporting Japan ahead of America is not whining, sir.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Do you ever stop whining?

Another reason for the 4Runner is it's made 100% in Japan.

Not a single union dickbeater has ever touched it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Just rolled over 1000 miles on my 2017 Tacoma. I've only had it 2 weeks. No problems. I guess if I make it 6 months with no issues, I got one of the good ones?

ETA: Potato pic

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn it you a-holes I was thinking very hard about trading in my 2016 colorado z71 for the off road pro

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Car with a bed/girl truck/should have bought a full size/pussification of america/my diesel 3/4 ton can tow all day long/hipsters....

eta: forgot to add - drum brakes...
View Quote

Car with a bed? You're thinking Ridgeline. Tacoma is acceptable as a truck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Do you ever stop whining?

Funny thing is, it WAS union workers that built it. Always get a kick out of people that think Japanese built vehicles are not assembled by union workers.

In the end, it always falls back to the actual person and the pride and responsibility they feel toward the work they are paid to do, union or not.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn it you a-holes I was thinking very hard about trading in my 2016 colorado z71 for the off road pro

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii510/millerlite2222/20150906_143104_zpsswhysvba.jpg~original
View Quote

Are you professional enough for the Off Road Pro?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The irony is that the Japanese built 4-Runner is reported to be much better in QC than the Texas built Tacoma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

American and Mexican line workers are not genetically perfectionists like the Japanese and German workers are.  Just when you think you idiot proofed the whole line a bigger idiot will come along and find a loophole to skip an important process and not give a shit. Of course engineering plays a part also. The best assembled junk is still junk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had literally none of these "issues" with my '16 TRDOR, that are constantly posted on forums about the third gens.

Mine was built in Mexico. Just rolled over 10k and drive it like an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had literally none of these "issues" with my '16 TRDOR, that are constantly posted on forums about the third gens.

Mine was built in Mexico. Just rolled over 10k and drive it like an asshole.
View Quote

Lucky. I wanted to really like the truck. I had heard nothing but great things about them and decided to give them a shot instead of just getting an F150.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Did we ever find out what happened?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had my new 2016 Platinum F150 for less than a month, have put less than 500 miles on it and I've already made 6 or 7 trips to the dealership to have them fix various things. It has been there since monday to replace a front pinion bearing and a failing APIM/ACM. Luckily the dealership gave me a loaner a few days ago

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I know no one asked, but there is an easy answer to this:  

It's a reliable 4X4 Silverado/Sierra with the 4.3 or 5.3 in a mid trim level.  Cheaper, bigger, more capable even if a bit slower and, for me, dead nuts reliable and zero problems since 2014 and 20K miles.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#34]
No issues with my 2016. 4,500+ miles with probably 600off road including Moab
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry for your troubles, OP. Glad you got a car you enjoy. My GF has a '16 Taco and I have a '16 4Runner. Both with around 5000 trouble free miles.Probably about 500 of them are off-road on the Taco. The 4Runner is going off road all Thanksgiving weekend.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I know no one asked, but there is an easy answer to this:  

It's a reliable 4X4 Silverado/Sierra with the 4.3 or 5.3 in a mid trim level.  Cheaper, bigger, more capable even if a bit slower and, for me, dead nuts reliable and zero problems since 2014 and 20K miles.
View Quote

Yeah, but those suck off road compared to the Tacoma.  If you never go off road, I agree, you're probably better off with a run of the mill half-ton truck.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Had a Ford with a diff noise like that, turned out to be an out of round ring gear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Evidently the carrier bearings are garbage too, as I'm finding out with a family member's Tacoma.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is a reason I bought a 2015 just before the run ended.  Wasn't impressed with a lot of the 2016s ''improvements'' to include the engine and double OD transmission. [that honestly, the engine doesn't have enough oomph to pull 6th in]

I think that ANYTHING Toyota builds in Japan is 10 times better then a US or Mexican made one. Build difference between even my FJ [Japan] and Taco is quite noticeable.

Not impressed with fancy shit in a pickup [even a little one] all I care for is if the damn thing works, lasts a decent amount of time and has decent resale value.
View Quote

Having owned two 2nd gen American-made Tacos ('08 & '09), one Japanese 4Runner (2012), and two Japanese Mazdas ('10 & '16) that cost less than the American Taco, I'd agree.  The Japanese stuff is still built better.

I like the new Taco interior, but think I'll stick with my 4Runner... forever.  The Tacomas are great and I loved mine, but the 4Runners are better built.  I also don't remember getting quality surveys for the factory after I bought the Tacomas, but did on the 4Runner.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

American cars were flushed when American car companies decided to move manufacturing to Mexico.

Toyota trucks, and many other Toyotas are manufactured in America.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have been a Ford guy all my life. I have had Mustangs and F-150s. A little over a year ago I sold my 06 F150 4x4 supercrew and bought and 07 FJ. The F150 rattled, everywhere. It sounded like everything in it was loose. The FJ is 9 years old, no rattles. It get 2 mpg better mileage.
View Quote

I have a buddy that had an FJ when he lived in Oregon. I called it the blind spot special. Seriously cool truck, very capable, tons of fun on the mountain roads, but man it was a bitch to see out of. I recall having to duck down to see stoplights a lot.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That guy always post delusional stuff in a thread where foreign vehicles are brought up.  He's about as accurate as the MSM.  

The mere mention of toyota must really hurt his union pride.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

American cars were flushed when American car companies decided to move manufacturing to Mexico.

Toyota trucks, and many other Toyotas are manufactured in America.

That guy always post delusional stuff in a thread where foreign vehicles are brought up.  He's about as accurate as the MSM.  

The mere mention of toyota must really hurt his union pride.  

It's not even about union pride. Japan automakers are very unionized, if it was made in Japan, it was probably made by a union worker.

I will say that the big three union workers are probably doing a better job now then they did 30 years ago by far. The protection they used to have just isn't the same anymore and they WILL get rid of poor employees.

EVERY automaker has been cutting corners as of late. You can feel it in materials like plastics, seat coverings, modern ''carpeting'' sucks compared to even 20 years ago, things you can't see have been cheapened up because that money has to be spent elsewhere on mandated safety and fuel standards parts and technology.

Even my rinky dink base 98'' sonoma with buckets had better seat coverings and carpet then my 15 Taco does. My 98'' Buick interior still looked like new after almost 20 years before I sold it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Current generation 4Runners are still made in Japan, I believe. Rumor has it they are going to redesign it for 2018, and will probably shift manufacture to North America.
View Quote

If the 4Runner's production moves from the Tahara Aichi plant to a North American location, it will cease to be a legendary vehicle known for its precise, tight, quiet, long-lived, reliable reputation.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No shit? I thought Americans were too lazy and stoned all the time to build decent vehicles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's made here, and americans own stock in toyota, how is it "supporting japan"?

No shit? I thought Americans were too lazy and stoned all the time to build decent vehicles?

Just the Obama motors and unionized...
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Forget the turd gen.

2nd gen is best gen!

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's made here, and americans own stock in toyota, how is it "supporting japan"?

They are, thats why its destroying Toyota's reputation
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 600 miles on my 2017 Tacoma Access Cab Off Road, and it's been awesome. I absolutely love this truck! No problems whatsoever. Sized up in tire size with Duratracs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a 2008 Tacoma. Thing was absolute garbage. Had two catastrophic failures that required a tow to the shop twice. Had to get rid of it and no way in hell was I going to get another Toyota so I got a Frontier and never looked back
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top