Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
They're like Jeeps. Overpriced, with some sort of cult following. People want them because they want them. Except Toyotas are far more reliable than a Jeep will ever be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Man, that is not something I'd have ever guessed. LRI "A" rating on a 4runner vs. a "c" rating for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I follow the guy on the quality thing, but literally, if someone makes 1000 decisions on a 0.35 part, then that only should amount to $350. Evidently, it is a $35k difference.

I guess if I buy one for an outrageous price new or used, I can always sell it for an outrageous used price (so long as gas/etc. doesn't kill the used market).

Now, can someone explain how the used price on a 2016 Limited with 18k miles is higher than the list new price for zero miles with what looks like identical trim?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insurance costs are also low on 4runners.  
https://learningcenter.statefarm.com/auto/vehicle-rating.html

Man, that is not something I'd have ever guessed. LRI "A" rating on a 4runner vs. a "c" rating for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I follow the guy on the quality thing, but literally, if someone makes 1000 decisions on a 0.35 part, then that only should amount to $350. Evidently, it is a $35k difference.

I guess if I buy one for an outrageous price new or used, I can always sell it for an outrageous used price (so long as gas/etc. doesn't kill the used market).

Now, can someone explain how the used price on a 2016 Limited with 18k miles is higher than the list new price for zero miles with what looks like identical trim?

See, here's the thing: On a Toyota, you're never going to have to go digging for that part to replace it; on the Ford or the GM, you're gonna have to, at some point that's likely to be at a far lower mileage than the Toyota. The costs of doing that add up--It costs Ford or GM another 350.00 to do it right, and they save that money and bank it. They never see the costs, so long as the parts fail outside the warranty period. Toyota has, mostly, made the choice for longevity and reliability, with the thinking being that if you have a Hilux or 4Runner that lives forever, you're going to remember that and come back to the brand when you need a new one. That 350 bucks is an investment Toyota is making in brand loyalty and return customers. Different mentality--Most of the Toyota execs are car guys; most of the Big Three are bean counters. That's why a lot of these choices get made at the design and construction stages of the vehicles.

That engineer that told me about the Mona Lisa program went to work for Toyota in later years, at first at NUUMI in California, and then in design. His take on having been on both GM and Toyota production lines was that the Toyota lines had workers who would not hesitate to shut the line down if there were issues with their part of it. The GM lines literally would fire guys for doing the same thing, on the spot. At the Toyota plants, it was the opposite. A problem found in QC would reflect on the guys who didn't catch it during production. GM didn't give a rip--Let QC get it, and the guys that built it or assembled that flawed part saw no repercussions.

It's a cultural thing, with the Japanese companies and Toyota in particular. Toyota builds cars in England with a lot of the same employees that used to work for British Leyland, and whose build quality was abysmal under British Leyland. Toyota has received kudos for the quality of the cars produced in that same plant, with a lot of the same workers. Go figure...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport bought a year old from my mother.

Now has 223,000 miles and runs like new.  Brakes have been done once.

Regular maintenance and fluid changes.   The more I look at new vehicles, the more I plan to keep mine.

I've wheeled it in Arizona and driven it from California to Miami, Austin Texas to Madison, Wisconsin.  It has been all over and treats me like gold.

The Japanese know how to make an excellent vehicle.  American bean counters build overpriced shit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Check back in 10 years and 150k miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were looking at 4runners and explorer sports and went with the explorer sport ecoboost because it had a much nicer interior and damn near 100hp more.
I've always liked Toyota but they need to up their game on the 4Runner.

And all vehicle prices are now crazy.

Check back in 10 years and 150k miles.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend bought his son a 01 4-Runner almost 2 years ago. It has over 250k miles now. I looked at it last week and the paint is shiny, the interior looks great and it runs like a new one. Go look at a domestic with that many miles. It might still run ok, but it'll look like crap and won't be worth fixing. I'm still set on getting a used 4-Runner soon and the prices here in FL aren't too bad.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, that sort of sounds like a deal at least that it is relatively low miles, but damn, still a lot of cash fof a 12-year old car. Sounds like a great deal for a car that old with 30k miles.

My daily driver is a 2001 jeep I bought used in 2003 with 20k miles. It now has 187k on it. I paid 12k for it then. It might make it to 225k but "it leakin" and the AC quit two years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i bought one about 6 weeks ago, 2004 sport edition, 121k miles, 10 grand.

it is what it is

Well, that sort of sounds like a deal at least that it is relatively low miles, but damn, still a lot of cash fof a 12-year old car. Sounds like a great deal for a car that old with 30k miles.

My daily driver is a 2001 jeep I bought used in 2003 with 20k miles. It now has 187k on it. I paid 12k for it then. It might make it to 225k but "it leakin" and the AC quit two years ago.
I've noticed with Jeeps that people tend to just let them leak instead of repairing the leaks.  My XJ is a 96 with 103,000 miles on it and when I bought it there wasn't a seal that wasn't leaking.  I bought a gasket set for $50 replaced all the leaking gaskets and now she is leak free.  These 4.0 can go for quite sometime with just basic up keep.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in the market for one myself and I got a shock when I first started looking.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You get what you pay for . Want a car to last a long time - Toyota/Ford

Want a cheap few years worth of car buy gm/dodge
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I still drive a 1990 4runner daily.  It's kind of rusting apart but still is dependable as can be.  It sat for 2 months recently because I was driving my Wrangler for the fun of it, and fired right up.  I can't think of a 25 year old vehicle I've owned in the past that wouldn't have needed a jump or something after 2 months.

I have no experience with anything newer.  And I won't until this one dies.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid 10.5k for a 05 V8 Limited with 135k. OP, there is a reason they hold value so well...aside from the shocks I replaced, she runs and drives like a new truck. They are extremely well built.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If I ever find another 98-02 SR5 with under 100k miles and leather/sunroof I'll buy it on the spot. I miss mine weekly and it was total lossed 9 years ago.

Absent that, I'll likely buy a new one next year.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I ever find another 98-02 SR5 with under 100k miles and leather/sunroof I'll buy it on the spot. I miss mine weekly and it was total lossed 9 years ago.

Absent that, I'll likely buy a new one next year.
View Quote

I had a 00 limited. Miss the hell out of that thing.

The new ones are awesome. I want the TRD Pro myself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am in the market for one myself and I got a shock when I first started looking.
View Quote

I've been looking on and off for a V8 powered SUV.

$Runners pop up now and then, but my god.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm using that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using that.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a 2000 3rd gen with 197,000 miles. All its had done to it has been new Oxygen sensors, new shocks, and timing belt. Still looks new inside, gets 18-19mpg, and the one and only thing that don't work is the power antenna doesn't go down anymore which is a cheap fix but, meh.

I'm gonna get a new one in around 4-5 years probably. Mine should be around 350k miles then. Then it'll be made a trail rig. You can get a brand new base model SR5 for about $37000-38000 which all things considered these days isn't terrible. Coworker has a 96 model that's nearing 450,00 miles. Original motor still and one transmission replacement....also OP, go price a Landcruiser new if you want sticker shock! It's unreal how much. Course if I wasn't poor I'd pay it
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
4Runners are built like tanks.  Full stop.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a 2014 Trail since new; love it, no problems. It's paid off, and I plan on driving it until it won't.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm driving an 08 that I bought used in 2010.

100% satisfied, should have bought one long before that.
View Quote

Same here. Got a 2008 SR5 early back lease or something in early 2009. It had 22,000 miles on it and I got it for $23k. This was when gas prices were still rather high, so I guess the dealership couldn't move them. I've only added about 60,000 miles to it. I expect it could last me another 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
2014 Trail bought new. Now at 35K miles. I plan on keeping it until it quits. Hopefully that will be a while

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a 2 year old 4Runner 4wd sport for about 23k with 33k miles... that was 7 years ago. Very happy at 150k. I'll probably keep it to 200k or so.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Mine just rolled over on 55k.

Very reliable trucks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I had an '08 I bought new that year. They really do feel like a Lexus. I miss it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah32/308toyota/IMG_20160524_1528272_zpspgsgqsow.jpg

Very reliable trucks.
View Quote

what wheels are those?

kinda want for the tacoma
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

what wheels are those?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah32/308toyota/IMG_20160524_1528272_zpspgsgqsow.jpg

Very reliable trucks.

what wheels are those?

FJ Cruiser.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a 2007 Limited last year with 137k on the dial for $9500 with a spare set of snow tires. This was after months of searching and had to drive 200 miles to pick it up.

Only reason I got it that cheap was it needed some work. Mostly minimal stuff-brake pads and rotors all around, 2 calipers, AC needed recharge). The rear center armrest was busted (>$1000 part per Toyota, but was able to weld what I needed to get it to work).

If looking at 4th gen

Try to get a 2006+ for V6 motors. They had headgasket issues with earlier years.

Brake calipers tend to seize up, but the gen 5 calipers are direct bolt ons and don't have the same issues.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FJ Cruiser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very reliable trucks.

what wheels are those?

FJ Cruiser.

tires 285's?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a new 2015 SR5 4x4 for less then a used one.

Always wanted one but the price of new and used ones were too much for me.

They wanted to deal and it was a great deal.

Owned it for a year and a half and 38,000 miles later I still like it.

I wanted a TRD PRO but couldn't rationalize the extra $10k.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I read something somewhere that there were more 4runners still on the road running than any other SUV. I have a 2000 with 199K miles still going strong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

tires 285's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very reliable trucks.

what wheels are those?

FJ Cruiser.

tires 285's?

285 Destination MTs, and spidertrax spacers which are really hub adapters.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Wife has a 2013 Limited we bought new.    

We love it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I had an 06 tundra that had 46k on it. It was outside the recall and purchased used by me... They bought it back at 150% or retail.....
Customer for LIFE!
Show me another manufacturer that would do that..... I will gladly pay a premium for that kind of customers service.  
,,< currently drive an 08 tundra purchased used.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Does this kind of quality extend to the older Tundra trucks?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I lucked totally out. We have been shopping for a new 4Runner to replace our 2006 that had around 131K on it. I found a lightly used 15 with 3200 miles on it and with the trade walked away owing 29k.

It is a loaded limited with cooled and heated seats, navi, sun roof, leather, the works. Wife loves it. We are set for the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#36]
New one I want is 41k +.....but F that.....way to much for it.  Maybe in a couple months....0% for 84 months...then maybe
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Just don't buy one in the rust belt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
V8 4runner is best 4runner

Seriously find a used 4th generation V8.  When they cross 200k miles the prices seem to really drop.

I've got a 2004 V8 4wd limited with 265k that's been 100% reliable.  It uses zero oil between changes and has given me great service.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does this kind of quality extend to the older Tundra trucks?
View Quote

No.

That quality is limited to Japanese built Toyotas, like the Land Cruiser and Prado Lexuses.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#40]
U--asked 4 it
U got it
Toy-ohhhh-tah
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#41]
As with any Toyota body on frame SUV with a VIN that starts with a J (for made in Japan) these things are built to last. I always love the look on people's faces when I tell them what these sell for used. I've owned several 4Runners and love them. Right now I have a 4th gen Sport V8 4wd and a Land Cruiser. I had an FJ for 3 years and sold it to a dealer for more than I paid for it brand new. Go try that with a Ford or Chevy. If you want something cheap that might last 50k miles and be worth nothing, go buy something else.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As with any Toyota body on frame SUV with a VIN that starts with a J (for made in Japan) these things are built to last. I always love the look on people's faces when I tell them what these sell for used. I've owned several 4Runners and love them. Right now I have a 4th gen Sport V8 4wd and a Land Cruiser. I had an FJ for 3 years and sold it to a dealer for more than I paid for it brand new. Go try that with a Ford or Chevy. If you want something cheap that might last 50k miles and be worth nothing, go buy something else.
View Quote

My Toyota is at 250k.  Burns a bit more oil, but a quart every 2 weeks is all it takes.

I will only buy Toyota.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought my wife and I an 06 4x4 runner in 09 with 50k on the odo. I was a ford tech at the time and thought it was my dumbest financial mistake i would ever make. Im a die hard ford guy. It didnt make sense to me not to buy an explorer. However the sandwich maker gets what she wants. A year into the payments i checked the private party kbb value. holy shit, i was not upside down and stood to make money if it was totaled or i had to sell it. The resale value changed my perspective. Installed a spacer lift, and rock sliders.
Paid it off 3yrs ago. Currently has 179k  on the odo. The only repairs iv had to make. A couple of bulbs in the trip computer under the radio. 1 gas cap, 1 set of plugs, 1 front crank seal. 1 belt and tensioner, 1 set of tires (due for tires now), in the process of doing the 2 set of brakes since i bought it. As well as about 6 air and cabin filters, and butt load of oil and filters.
After working on Fords for a decade, the runner has unbelievable quality.  At 180k there is no squeaks, rattles, pops ,groans and it rides like the day I bought it.
On a side note, been tossing around the idea of replacing my 01 f150. Im a realest and know the runner may have big ticket repairs in the future. Having 2 vehicles over 150k not very comfortable for me, id like to have one newer vehicle under 70K. so the f150 is the oldest, so it would be replaced first. Anywho. looking at new truck prices, 48k for an xlt 4x4 f150 vs a trd tundra for 45k. Im farily confident i will get 15 yrs out of the tundra, why would i pay more for the f150.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Have a 2011 SR5 edition with ~80,000 miles on it. Bought it new and paid accordingly but I'm sold on the model and the Toyota brand in general. The quality and engineering are second to none for what I want/need in a vehicle. Might not have the same "feel" as a Euro import but it's hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#45]
It took me 11 months of looking but I finally found a rust-free '93 with 114k, but the HG was replaced under recall at 55k.

I'm hoping it lasts another 20 years, it's a pretty awesome ride IMO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 1997 with 230-ish K on it. I paid $4,500 for it a few years ago, it was a deal compared to others I looked at. As soon as I got it it was due for a timing belt, so I had all that done. Since then I've had to put brakes on it and replace a blinker bulb.

It's paid for and my plan is to save up and get a newer one when/if this one wears out. feel physically ill when I think about paying 4+% interest on a $30,000  loan.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I think there are very few, if any, vehicle lines that have the overall reliability that a 4Runner has.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Seriously find a used 4th generation V8.  When they cross 200k miles the prices seem to really drop.

I've got a 2004 V8 4wd limited with 265k that's been 100% reliable.  It uses zero oil between changes and has given me great service.  

View Quote

'06

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I hear rumors 2018 will have a v8 option
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'06

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12688225_990555317702797_8348431375986301583_n.jpg?oh=0a15f033ee4719074367b6792890765a&oe=57E6BF7A

That's just about exactly what I want right there.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top