BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
in like flynn, instead of in like flint...

Uhhh... no.

In like FLINT
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh... no.

In like FLINT

This is arfcom.

Get both.

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh... no.

In like FLINT

Yeah, it was a movie, but a movie whose title was playing off of an already established expression.

No different, really, than from "Live and let Die," "Nightmare before Christmas," or "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A black girl at work, many years ago, informed me of the proper way to store a sack of flour so "bowl weebils" don't get in it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]

And could forget that Manfred Mann classic - "Blinded by the light; revved up like douche, another runner in the night . . . "  

I don't care what anyone says - that IS what he sings. At the very least, he has a speech impediment.

My written review from a few years back says I have a good repore with my customers.
I remember about 30 years ago my step-grandfather going on a tirade about how the A-raps are nothing but war mongrels. My mother and I shared a
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no idear what most of yous are trying to say
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"your point is mute..."

"parting shot" versus parathian shot.

From Wiki

"Parthian shot" is not to be confused with the phrase "parting shot". The first official record of the use of the phrase "parting shot" was by John McCleod, surgeon on board His Majesty's ship Alceste contained in "A narrative of a Voyage to the Yellow Sea" (1818):

The consort, firing a parting shot, bore up round the north end of the island, and escaped.
In 1828 records in "The Friend, or Advocate of Truth" (a publication of The Religious Society of Friends) used the phrase in the figurative sense, being the first officially to do so on official records:
I think it would be much more becoming..., if you could separate without giving each other a parting shot.

It is quite obvious that the two phrases have rather similar phonetic soundings but are actually separately derived at different times. Although the Parthian archers of old have been famous for their shooting the term "parthian shot" was actually officially used and recorded for the first time only in 1832 by Captain Mundy, ADC to Lord Combermere on a hunting trip in India:
...I made a successful Parthian shot with my favourite Joe Manton (shotgun).
The figurative use of the phrase "Parthian shot" only appeared much later in The Times (1842):
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a friend in high school say something to the effect of "She's nasty, I would never tough her, you'd end up w/ glaucoma or some shit."

Slightly off topic, but my step-Dad's best friend said one time he didn't want to watch the movie Apollo 13 because he didn't like sci-fi.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My bil always wants to extersise with me
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad used to call deutsche marks douche marks, while we were in Germany.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad has All Timers disease

LOL, supposed to be Old Timers.

oh, no the person that says this to me is trying to say Alzheimers but says All Timers

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My dad used to call deutsche marks douche marks, while we were in Germany.

Was this on purpose?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot to mention warsh/warshington instead of wash/washington.

Also, nobody has mentioned people who say "been had" meaning I have had this for a long time, instead it comes out I been had this.  I just remembered this one because I was watching Judge Judy (ya, ya, I know, but it makes me laugh) and this African American gentleman was asked about his watch by Judge Judy.  He said, no I been had this.  She said what did you say and he said it again.  She looks  at the bailiff and says, what did he say?  He said it again, real loud and slow as if she couldn't hear him.  "I BEEN HAD IT"
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh... no.

In like FLINT

From Wiki:
"In like Flynn" is a slang phrase meaning "having completed a goal or gained access as desired". In addition to its general use, the phrase is sometimes used to describe success in sexual seduction, and its folk etymology often asserts the phrase has sexual origins.

Origins

The term is often believed to refer to movie star Errol Flynn. Flynn had a reputation for womanizing, consumption of alcohol and brawling
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
my dads truck has an exhaust leak he needs to fix, its right in front of the....

catastrophic converters.

water is not pronounced warter
lightning is not lightening.
barter is not bater.  Really?  How do you fuck that one up after water!
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
.38 Special song, Hold on Loosely....

"Hold on Bruce Lee, with your Tae Kwon doe..."

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
"My bad"

or

"My bag"

both can be used in the same context.

I remember "my bag" in the 70's, if a cop stopped a car and found dope, he would ask whose is this?  the owner would get arrested if they admitted to owning the bag o' dope. If nobody 'fessed up, then every body got arrested.

so both basically meant,  I'm guilty / my fault / I'm responsible etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]

A guy I know has a family that created their own language.  I'm even gathering notes to write a book about them in the future.

They are the Higgins and they speak Higginese.  

It took me a bit but I figured out that they replace Ts with Ks and then add a few random letters along the way.   They go to the "Wal Marks" to buy "cleanging" supplies such as "Comik" that they use in a "mop buckek".
Little people are called "migiks".
One of the brothers was once running from the law when the cop yelled out "Hawk!".    One of them is named Mart...yep, you got it they pronounce his name "Mark".

"Lynert Skynnart" had that guy "Ronny Ban Zap" in it.  One of them even claims to have met the "Ban Zaps" once long ago.

Way too much material here to post in a thread. Maybe some day you can read my book about them. Hopefully it evolves into a screen play and I can make a movie about these guys. You just cant make up this stuff.

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]

What the fuck is that from?

"I'm not the kinda person to say atoda-so.. but you know what, atoda-so, I fuckin' atoda-so."
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to work with a guy that was, er rather husky, and his name was Matt Rollando.  One of my other co-workers at the time [a smokin hot brunette with an Al-Pachino level Great ASS] mis-understood when she was first introduced to him and spent 4 years calling him "Matt Rotundo" and nobody ever corrected her, not even Matt...
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I remember a guy at a grocery store once asking me where to find the "Eck-wuh".

I asked him to describe it and it turned out he wanted "Equate", the sugar substitute. How you get "Eck-wuh" out of that is beyond me.

Because he wasn't asking for "equate", he was asking for "equal"
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I hate homese in all its many forms. Let me "AXE" you "SUMPIN".

There is also the song that sounds like; "I miss you so much I'm banging a fly in the seaweed"

I have a co-worker from LA who says 'axe' all of the time. Hey also refers to Mankato, MN as 'Mankata'...

(fyi, he's caucasian...)

m
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hey, listen to the bugles, here comes the calvary

I've heard Rick on Pawn stars say that before, also when he says, he needs to find out if an item is "real or not"

well, dumb ass, it is "real" it does exist, after all you held it in your hand, maybe you just want to verify if it is "authentic" or not

At an airshow once, as a pre show, these guys were flying RC Jets and someone had to say it

"wow.. those things look real"

and I had to say

"uh.. they are real, they are just small

I was out photographing trains once using one of my larger lenses. Of course, I was approached and asked on of my 'pet peeve' questions:

"How far can you see with that?"

I answered, 'To Infinity.'

It took him a few seconds to get it, but at least he understood the difference between magnification and distance.

m
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is "In like Flynn". As in Errol Flynn. Generally meaning you're going to get some.

My mom says "warsh" instead of wash. I keep asking her where the "r" is, she keeps throwing things at me.

Had a friend a long time ago that was from the Pacific North West.  He and his mom would say WARSH instead of wash.

They also said bag with a long a, so it sounded like 'baig'.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Barbarian cream–– (Bavarian)

I always envision Conan type character munching down on a breakfast pastry.

Napoleon Ice Cream–– (Neapolitan)

Even the ice cream vendor agreed with the hicks that it was pronounced "Napoleon" ... frustrating.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#27]
"Chester drawers" instead of "chest of drawers".

My wife spewed this one out shortly after the vows were said - "there are magnets on the garbage cans outside" I sprayed orange juice out my nose. (Yes she is blonde)
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple of months ago, a poster on ARFcom used the word "grattis" in place of the word "granted" as in the following example.

Grattis. a lot of people use malapropisms frequently, but sometimes they do it out of whimsy.

A couple of other posters and I called him on it, and he defended it rather vehemently. Good stuff.

I see "prolly" almost every day on ARFcom. Hate it. If I had my druthers, I'd rather not see it again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
irregardless

This one bugs the shit out of me.  Had a pysch professor that would use it a minimum of 3 times per lecture.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Co-worker got picked up on a DUI charge, and he asked my help in writing a letter to his lawyer. (I have no idea why)

He needed help on how to spell soveriety.

I told him I thought it was s-o-b-e-r-i-e-t-y

He told me I was wrong because there must be a "V" in there somewhere....

He is the same guy that got mad at people making comments about his personal life, so he put up a sign:

If you has opinon keep it to your shelf

You spelled it wrong, too.  Sobriety...

Spelling nazi, OUT!
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
An older gentlman was talking with the cashier at the supermarket yesterday. Said his doctor was sending him for a prostrate exam.

Ricky: I don't know anything about investaments.
Bubbles:[frustrated] Now Ricky, what did we talk about? Think about each word before you say it? One of those words isn't real.

We call those Rickyism's.

"I hate to say atodaso, but atodaso!"

And my personal favorite:
"Whelp, I'd say its time to get two birds stoned at once."

http://trailerpark.wikia.com/wiki/Rickyisms
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#32]
It has recently become popular to attache the word "literally" to as many descriptions as possible. To counter this, I have begun to overuse the word "figuratively," in context, several times a day.

I figuratively did it 87,223,556 times today.

Also, most times I hear people use the word "ironically," they really mean, "coincidentally."
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#33]
When the inbred swamp rats down the road say zinc instead of sink.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#34]
When someone says libary instead of library, it drives me up the freakin wall. One of my pet peeves.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A guy I know has a family that created their own language.  I'm even gathering notes to write a book about them in the future.

It took me a bit but I figured out that they replace Ts with Ks and then add a few random letters along the way.   They go to the "Wal Marks" to buy "cleanging" supplies such as "Comik" that they use in a "mop buckek".

One of the brothers was once running from the law when the cop yelled out "Hawk!".    One of them is named Mart...yep, you got it they pronounce his name "Mark".

"Lynert Skynnart" had that guy "Ronny Ban Zap" in it.  One of them even claims to have met the "Ban Zaps" once long ago.

Way too much material here to post in a thread. Maybe some day you can read my book about them. Hopefully it evolves into a screen play and I can make a movie about these guys. You just cant make up this stuff.

that is some funny stuff right there.

your story reminds me of the Ledbetter Family that Jerry Clower grew up around

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#36]
oh, and the optics company from Oregon is called Leupold  pronounced  " loo pold "     ...      not   Lee O Pold

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Medium strip!
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Rickyisms FTW

Right now on Craigslist...

1960 Ford Ranch Chero - $1800 (Huffman/Porter)
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2734790136.htmll

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Worked with a guy who sang every song that came on the radio loudly, usually incorrectly. One of his gems:

"We go back to Carolina"...translation: "Big 'ol Jet Airliner"

Co-workers sandwich maker once asked him "Why would Elton John write a song about Tony Danza? I know he's gay but still it's odd."

Co-worker: "What the fuck are you talking about?

his old lady: "You know, "Hold me closer Tony Danza"  

I do that to at the shop,I don't think there is a classic rock song that I haven't altered in some fashion.In the case of "Big 'ol jet airliner" I usually go with "Big 'ol black vaginer" and no I'm not racist,that shits just funny.

A buddy always used to think it was a song about a big, drunken redneck who would get torn up and raise hell.

"Big 'Ol Jed Had A Light On"

I have a friend that thought the Rage Against The Machine song "Bulls On Parade" had the lyrics "Man ain't got no family with a pocket full of shells" instead of "Rally round the family with a pocket full of shells."

I always thought it was "Riding in a Bentley, with a pocket full of shells," until a friend told me it was "Running down the family, with a pocket full of shell."

Now I reeling have no idea what it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Rickyisms FTW

Right now on Craigslist...

1960 Ford Ranch Chero - $1800 (Huffman/Porter)

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2734790136.htmll

thats perfect!

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#41]
OK, how many of you geniuses have used the term "spitting image" When it is actually "splitting image"
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK, how many of you geniuses have used the term "spitting image" When it is actually "splitting image"

Except not..
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

that is some funny stuff right there.

your story reminds me of the Ledbetter Family that Jerry Clower grew up around

LOL, yep Jerry Clower was one funny dood.  And I don't think he ever had to cuss to be funny.

Of course, I think Ron White is funnier than just about anyone today, but that's for a different thread.

LC

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The FIL used to say splittin' image. He also conked the horn in his vehicles.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I took my Chinese wife back to the States in 1999. In 2000 after she passed the GED test and attended the graduation ceremony, the local (small TN city) paper wrote an article about her accomplishment. " When XXXX arrived in America last year she only spoke pigeon English".

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I once had a professor scold me by saying, 'we're not here for a religicol debate'.

Watch 'Raising Hope'.. new one on that show every episode :)
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

WTF?  What is it with so many folks in this thread smugly correcting people without taking a half-hearted effort to look things up?
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I might strangle someone if I hear "Doggy dog world" again.

I knew a guy that said that. He also said "six and one half dozen" instead of "six of one, half dozen of the other."

We had a customer a long time ago who repeatedly told us he "didn't want to put us between a hard rock and a fast place".
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?  What is it with so many folks in this thread smugly correcting people without taking a half-hearted effort to look things up?

What is a spitting image, think about it. Spit and look at it, does it look like anything you would want to look like. It originally was splitting image as in a mirror image.  Hold a mirror up to half of your face and you get a splitting image. It is what is happening to words as demonstrated above that it has become accepted as spitting image.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Have fun with the wife-unit, she bought some Polish Hens.  I told her that they were polish(as in shine) hens, had her confused for a while. Still give her crap when she makes polish dogs.

Co-worker always gets "are" and "our" mixed up.  Not being a grammar-nazi, but come on....

Tried to make some food on stove one time, friend (from Fla) said that I "runt" it.  Looked at them and told them where I come from a "runt" is the smallest pig in the litter.  He meant ruined.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top