Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen 3's FTW. None of this new-fangled Gen 4 gizmodos for me.

And G19>G17
View Quote

All of the issues I saw with the introduction of gen 4 9mms on glock talk really scared me away for glock.  Especially since they went away from the super durable shiny finish to the chalky, less durable finish.  It was disappointing because my first handgun was a 21sf.  

Since then I discovered cz, and I really prefer them.  Both are good guns, but I just like the cz better.

I never did understand the superiority complex of glock guys.  Any modern handgun is going to be reliable.  There are tons on the market that have proven to be.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

All of the issues I saw with the introduction of gen 4 9mms on glock talk really scared me away for glock.  Especially since they went away from the super durable shiny finish to the chalky, less durable finish.  It was disappointing because my first handgun was a 21sf.  

Since then I discovered cz, and I really prefer them.  Both are good guns, but I just like the cz better.

I never did understand the superiority complex of glock guys.  Any modern handgun is going to be reliable.  There are tons on the market that have proven to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gen 3's FTW. None of this new-fangled Gen 4 gizmodos for me.

And G19>G17

You are correct but the glock haters really went above and beyond to prove how much abuse the glock can take.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock fans are like crossfitters.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1911 has been around alot longer.
View Quote

Show me a JMB spec M1911, or 1911A1, and I will agree.
The modern iterations, are a MAJOR deviation, from the simple and reliable platform, that has been highjacked.

Glock wins.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The modern iterations, are a MAJOR deviation, from the simple and reliable platform, that has been highjacked.

Glock wins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock wins.

4 generations of Glocks tell me that any platform can be improved on.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All those terms are ridiculously loaded with subjective meaning rather than any objective quantification.

It's difficult to argue with an article of faith. Lay down some useful metrics and we'll talk.
View Quote

Google glock torture test, then wonder if X handgun could take the abuse
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

He said reliable
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is.  Nothing comes remotely close.  This is coming from an HK/Sig guy.

View Quote

This is very true.
We have about 20 range G17s at the job.
Probably a couple million rounds between all of them.

Other than a couple of cracked slides from being wayyy past service life, the only thing that really needs replacing are a couple of springs and extractors every now and then. The Sig P series guns are right behind 'em in terms of reliability, durability and accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Love my G19 and trust my life to it.

1911 is a good platform, but you have to choose the manufacturer carefully.
View Quote

That's one thing people don't understand. I'd like to see the reliability of a "Glock" if two dozen manufactures made them with slight spec differences. I've personally had no malfunction with 14 different 1911s from 8 different manufactures (except a total POS PT1911) and 6 Glocks. In my experience they're the same reliability wise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a G17 in Iraq that I got from a dead ass Iraqi cop that didn't need it anymore. I mean he was fucked up, like his upper half was gone. Still a neat gun though. My new one has an RMR on it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What do you expect?

They spent so much on their 1911 that a harbor freight hammer is out of the budget.

ETA: that being said, my wife's springfield loaded hasn't malfunctioned yet, but my G17 is lighter, has a higher capacity, and isn't shiny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irrelevant.    

Can you drive tent stakes into hard ground with a Glock?

1911 Guys If your sidearm is the only thing you have to set your tent stakes maybe you should be working on other things then setting up your tent.

What do you expect?

They spent so much on their 1911 that a harbor freight hammer is out of the budget.

ETA: that being said, my wife's springfield loaded hasn't malfunctioned yet, but my G17 is lighter, has a higher capacity, and isn't shiny.
I spent $350 on my 1911 and love the shit out of it. I'm not a fan of how Glocks look but the one time I shot one I enjoyed it like crazy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
1911 = trash can gun

Take the AK out, put the 1911 nancy gun in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Just say no to drugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
CZ
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The Browning Hi Power probably has the most extensive reliability record of any sidearm currently available.

I haven't personally had any malfunctions with either my BHP or my G19 so, I like them both. The Glock gets the carry edge because it is lighter and there isn't a hammer stabbing me all day. The Hi Power has the shooting edge due to its heft, longer sight radius and lighter trigger. 1911s are nice too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
So has the Brown Bess.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lol that  Tupperware has nothing on the beretta 92 line.
View Quote

Other than a much larger blast area.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Uh, no..

The G19 is.
View Quote

Tell it to NYPD.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#20]
G19....

If you want a 17 just buy a 1911....
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#21]
BTW-as great as the range Glocks are,
I have also personally witnessed Glock KB's on the line, and seen the results of a few more than a handful of 'sploded Glocks (mostly .40's).
That being said, these catastrophic failures were pretty much all due to shitastic reloads.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
For all G17s up until the last few years.

The recent ones have something fucky going on with extraction.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Glocks suck, 1911's suck, everything sucks.  

I'll carry my Glock 19, you carry whatever you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I used a G17 in Iraq that I got from a dead ass Iraqi cop that didn't need it anymore. I mean he was fucked up, like his upper half was gone. Still a neat gun though. My new one has an RMR on it.
http://i.imgur.com/Jvp2AmT.jpg
View Quote

Pics of dead cop, the Glock you pulled off his body and your DD214 or it never happened.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pics of dead cop, the Glock you pulled off his body and your DD214 or it never happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
OP

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#28]
glock 19 for the win.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Reliable but ugly, poor ergonomics and shitty controls...meh.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I disagree.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Meh anymore its pretty much a wash between most of the big players

sure they all put out an individual turd or have a run of shit product for awhile  

but for the most part if it costs $400ish or more its a decent handgun worthy of anyone's holster

except non 92/99/100/101 Taurus handguns fuck them

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yup.  It's the Toyota Camry of guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The glock 17 is the most tested, most reliable, most proven handgun ever made.
Discuss

Yup.  It's the Toyota Camry of guns.

This. In every single way, good and bad yeah, it works and is hard to kill but fuck all if it's something I'd want to have to use.

Sig FTMFW
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#34]
My Glock 19 is the one pistol I've bought and still have. It is a great, compact, light pistol with good capacity.

Lately I've been wanting to try something different, what does the hive think about the Springfield XD's? I know they are made in Croatia but they seem to have a good reputation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Glock 9mm
SIG P series
Beretta 92 series
CZ 75 series

Any of these guns will serve you well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Glock 19 is the one pistol I've bought and still have. It is a great, compact, light pistol with good capacity.

Lately I've been wanting to try something different, what does the hive think about the Springfield XD's? I know they are made in Croatia but they seem to have a good reputation.
View Quote

Friends don't let friends XD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Very close second for me. I can trust either to protect my fat ass on a late night nacho run but I'm not worried about babying any of my Glocks. USPc gets wiped down, cleaned after every range session, and even checked for lint but my Glocks? They're the Rodney Dangerfield of my gun collection. No respect, no special treatment.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#38]

We've had occasional fire control groups and slide stops fail on our range HK USPs. Other than that, very reliable and durable.
They are right behind the Sig P series guns.

I owned that same pair. Neither ever failed. Personally I sold them both 'cause they had the ergonomics of a brick.

Most durable/reliable service type pistols at our range up to date, with various types of ammunition/calibers are as follows:

Glock,
Sig,
HK,
SA XDs,
S&W M&Ps.

These are pretty much the top 5, in that order, for having to service/repair parts or having to send them back to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have you ever heard of something called a Browning Hi Power?
View Quote

Let's see, stock Browning high power:

Shitty heavy trigger. Check
Shitty sights: check
Heavier: check
Less on board capacity: check
Parts replacement usually means hand fitting versus simple swap: check

The non customized BHP was a decent gun in the 1940s. It sucks by today's standards.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The non customized BHP was a decent gun in the 1940s. It sucks by today's standards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you remove the magazine safety, it has the best trigger on a service pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trigger in a stock Hi power is awful.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very close second for me. I can trust either to protect my fat ass on a late night nacho run but I'm not worried about babying any of my Glocks. USPc gets wiped down, cleaned after every range session, and even checked for lint but my Glocks? They're the Rodney Dangerfield of my gun collection. No respect, no special treatment.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Only reason why I clean my USP9 is that it is my carry gun.  It has noticeable wear on the slide, inside it, and on the recoil assembly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like all the war hero stories I hear from guys who spent their entire pogue deployments on one if the big bases like Tallil. Completely full of shit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
G19....

If you want a 17 just buy a 1911....
View Quote

What model of 1911 has a 17rd capacity in 9mm and doesn't weigh 5lbs?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That sounds like all the war hero stories I hear from guys who spent their entire pogue deployments on one if the big bases like Tallil. Completely full of shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Call out thread!

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit got real
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bearpitbearpitbearpit!

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#48]
oh gawd, not this shit again
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We've had occasional fire control groups and slide stops fail on our range HK USPs. Other than that, very reliable and durable.

I owned that same pair. Neither ever failed. Personally I sold them both 'cause they had the ergonomics of a brick.

Most durable/reliable service type pistols at our range up to date, with various types of ammunition/calibers are as follows:

Glock,
Sig,
HK,
SA XDs,
S&W M&Ps.

These are pretty much the top 5, in that order, for having to service/repair parts or having to send them back to the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Glock,
Sig,
HK,
SA XDs,
S&W M&Ps.

I have much respect for Glock.  Carried and trained on a 17 gen2 and liked it.  But Im a bit of a stickler for a manual safety, though it isn't a deal breaker (own two VP9s).  First polymer I owned was an M&P45 and then a 9.  Git a apex trigger set up for one.  

The USP was just a gun I've always lused for since playing Rainbow six and finally got one.  It was when I noticed I was shooting it better than my carry M&P9 that I changed over.  

Honestly, the Glock feels like a brick while the USP fit's in my hand better.  Must be the Glock angle.  

The USP has had the same tests done, has been out not as long as the Glock, but for better and for worse, hasn't had many changes.  The USP springs are rated for longer life, though.  And the platform was originally made around the .40s&w, and dosen't recoil as bad as the Glock 22.  Mechanically, they are more accurate than the Glock.  

What the USP does lack is the price point, the frame not being updated for a modern rail system (since HK doesn't make the light anymore), grip texture, and a better, tuned, trigger in regards to the DA/SA.  But it is a hammered fired gun, so more parts involved.

The only malfunction I have had with my USP has either been a well worn mag, ory reloads.  I've dropped it mud, snow and dirt and keeps going.  Fired over 1,100 rounds without cleaning it and it could gave gone a while longer.

But what the USP was tested for, and can do that a Glock xannot, is removing a squib load by shorting it out of the barrel without a KB, or destroying the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys actually prefer the striker fired trigger on something like a Glock to a BHP?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top