Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The scout rifle was meant to be used by a military scout.   It just happens to be a good ranch rifle.    

With a ten round magazine and a spare ten round magazine carried in the buttstock,  just grab it out of the truck and it can handle most rifle situations nicely.

Cooper said if you could not afford to have a scout built, just get the Ruger M77 Lightweight 308 and put a low power scope on it.   Still good advice, IMHO.
View Quote
10 round magazine option is not very good on the steyr's. They stick out, wreck the balance and where you hold it
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/28/ar-15-wielding-man-kills-3-during-okla-home-invasi Now find anyone who shot a Nazi or a dinosaur with a scout rifle.
View Quote
Didn't that dude fire just a few rounds?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cooper was a fuck'n IDIOT, and so were his LAME BRAIN ideas! WINDBAG at best!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Always liked them, but didn't know they had an aluminum receiver.
Not sure how I feel about that on a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I in before me
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not from a Steyr Scout he didn't
View Quote
He was too poor to use a SS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Always liked them, but didn't know they had an aluminum receiver.
Not sure how I feel about that on a bolt gun.
View Quote
The bolt locks into steel.  It's a non issue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm too poor to buy mags for one! Although with manufacturing moving to alabama I am tempted to finally get an Austrian one. I almost bought the heavier barrel version, I forget the name, the "elite"?
View Quote
If you guys would get on the SS train I bet Magpul would release a Pmag!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
“It’s most outstanding characteristic is handiness. It is light, compact, and user friendly… It is easy to carry, convenient to
pack into a boat, car, or airplane, powerful enough for any targets shot
of pachyderms, and easily provisioned throughout the world. It is
ideally adapted to the snap shot, and is quite able to group well into
the vital zone of a 200-pound target out to around 400 paces… under
field conditions.”—The Scout Rifle: Some Simple Principles – Guns & Ammo – July 1988.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying he didn't say it, but everything I read said it should kill everything one might face in the wild in North America. Africa wasn't really part of it.
“It’s most outstanding characteristic is handiness. It is light, compact, and user friendly… It is easy to carry, convenient to
pack into a boat, car, or airplane, powerful enough for any targets shot
of pachyderms, and easily provisioned throughout the world. It is
ideally adapted to the snap shot, and is quite able to group well into
the vital zone of a 200-pound target out to around 400 paces… under
field conditions.”—The Scout Rifle: Some Simple Principles – Guns & Ammo – July 1988.
"Short of a pachyderm" and "200 lb target" offers quite a gap. Lots of targets between 200 lbs and elephant.

The usual target size was stated as 200 kilograms, and the rationale usually given was any potential North American game - or threat (recognizing that places like Africa were unique situations).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those who deny the qualities of this masterpiece are beyond help.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of the Ruger's advantages is magpul mags
View Quote
One of the other advantages of the Ruger is if you didn't bring kettlebells, you can still work out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cooper was a fuck'n IDIOT, and so were his LAME BRAIN ideas! WINDBAG at best!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One of the Ruger's advantages is magpul mags
View Quote
Mags that stick out right at the balance point, and a stock that makes the gun too heavy.  I don't know why they didn't use the synthetic stocks like they do on the 77/44, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ha ha you sound like an attorney "short of an elephant" means not as tall as one! 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Short of a pachyderm" and "200 lb target" offers quite a gap. Lots of targets between 200 lbs and elephant.

The usual target size was stated as 200 kilograms, and the rationale usually given was any potential North American game - or threat (recognizing that places like Africa were unique situations).
Ha ha you sound like an attorney "short of an elephant" means not as tall as one! 
Alas, not what I suggested at all. Yet you suggested it was cocnveived of for use in Africa. And you seem to hinge the concept on one off-handed remark, contradicted by itself.

Your bit does raise another good point - availability of ammo. This makes the talk of Grendel, etc. a bit of a stretch. I was invited to go on a red stag hunt in Hungary a few years ago. Should I have taken them up on it, a scout rifle would have been easy to import and find ammo for. An AR with a 6.5 would have been more than a challenge.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While Cooper may have been a smart man (I don't know) and may have had some good ideas, his pseudo-intellectual, "look at me, I'm a philosopher!" style of writing was vain, annoying, and turned some good points into egotistical dick beating blather once it hit paper.  Reading his writing is painful and reminds me of reading a comic book or cartoon.
View Quote
have you read any Ayoob or Sheriff Jim Wilson, or Jim Cirillo articles from the '80's and '90's?
That was the style of writing the gun rag publishers wanted, so that is what the writers delivered if they wanted to get paid.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You know, when I got rid of my last AR, I thought well WTF I have all this 223 ammo, what am I going to shoot it with? I have always liked the concept of a all purpose rifle, and thought the Scout looked cool. So I figured what the hell? You are right, in California I could choose a crippled MSR, a Mini-14, or a bolt action. The bolt action won. Next up, I'm going to get a .308 Scout.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I lived in CA, that would probably be my favorite too.
You know, when I got rid of my last AR, I thought well WTF I have all this 223 ammo, what am I going to shoot it with? I have always liked the concept of a all purpose rifle, and thought the Scout looked cool. So I figured what the hell? You are right, in California I could choose a crippled MSR, a Mini-14, or a bolt action. The bolt action won. Next up, I'm going to get a .308 Scout.
A 300 BO Scout with a shortened barrel and Ti suppressor would be pretty slick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One of the other advantages of the Ruger is if you didn't bring kettlebells, you can still work out.
View Quote
Another Ruger advantage is you get to build a close relationship with your UPS driver with all the warranty returns you'll be doing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They were cheap.
View Quote
and many calibers to choose from
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one with the Hogue stock is just over 6 lbs.  Not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's sweet, but... My AR does that very well.
View Quote
But can you take an AR to every corner of the world without any legal issues? The concept was derived from that angle as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had a chance to buy one years ago that had been autographed by Jeff Cooper.  It was being sold as a used gun, they wanted $2,200 for it.  Too rich for my blood.
View Quote
Likewise.  It was about 1999, IIRC, at an S.O.F. convention in Vegas.  Jeff Cooper was there, wheelchair bound, an old man but still with a firm handshake.  He had autographed one of these rifles and it was too rich for my blood at the time, as well.  I had an inkling of Mr. Cooper's reputation at the time but not enough to fully grasp or appreciate who he was.

I'm guessing he signed more than one of those rifles back in the day but I wonder what the odds are that rifle you saw is the same one I saw sitting in his lap at that convention?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That (modern variables) is kind of what turned the tide IMO.

I don't agree with everything Cooper, but I think he would have been pretty stoked on a 6.5G carbine with an ACOG. 
View Quote
As long as you keep the weight down and don't use ridiculous sized magazines that raise your profile and build a rifle in an accessible caliber on the global scale, I think he'd like it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Only among the shooters long range addicts.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

While Cooper may have been a smart man (I don't know) and may have had some good ideas, his pseudo-intellectual, "look at me, I'm a philosopher!" style of writing was vain, annoying, and turned some good points into egotistical dick beating blather once it hit paper.  Reading his writing is painful and reminds me of reading a comic book or cartoon.
View Quote
Agreed, he was a blowhard, man of leisure from another era.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think you are dead on about the variables. A combat tough 1x6 was unheard of when Cooper envisioned the rifle. In the standard position with a ranging reticle you can go from his moving medium range targets to pretty long range easily. 

I imagine a modern scout rifle as a short action, 18" barreled (suppressor capable), light weight rifle with a detachable magazine and a 1x6 variable scope in 6.5 Creedmore. Or a mini version on one of the Howa mini actions in 6.5 Grendel. 
View Quote
He'd want a more accessible caliber, easy to scrounge anywhere in the world. Scout was more of a universal concept.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why?

I don't handicap myself with a goofy rifle.

I got reach and lots of it.
View Quote
But can you even pick up that same animal in your long range optic at 30 or so yards in dense brush? Newer 1-6x optics are making this possible but the lower power fixed optics were the mainstay during Cooper's heyday. I prefer 2-7x EER for a scout now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd like to have a scout and put a 1-4x on it
View Quote
That is an excellent choice and really is what will put the forward mount out of business completely. I only really like the scout concept for rifles that can be fed with stripper clips.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is an excellent choice and really is what will put the forward mount out of business completely. I only really like the scout concept for rifles that can be fed with stripper clips.
View Quote
The forward mount was desired for other reasons as well that have already been mentioned here.  (balance, loading port accessibility, quick target acquisition, etc.)  Cooper felt that it was easier to bring the rifle up and get on target with a forward mounted scope than one that was right back in your face.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But can you even pick up that same animal in your long range optic at 30 or so yards in dense brush? Newer 1-6x optics are making this possible but the lower power fixed optics were the mainstay during Cooper's heyday. I prefer 2-7x EER for a scout now.
View Quote
Some pictures of a moose at 60 yds.

Optic is 4.5-14.

Here is a deer at 15 yds.

While a light weight .308 might be just right for some people the scout optic is just so limiting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a Steyr AUG and a Steyr ProHunter 25-06, but no Steyr Scout.  

Steyr makes a ProHunter with a 20" barrel which is only 1 inch longer than the Scout and doesn't have the goofy bolt.

ETA: And $800 cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Optic is 4.5-14.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/81e487d5.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/681440e5.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/DSCN0479_zpsjls7hdvy.jpg

While a light weight .308 might be just right for some people the scout optic is just so limiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optic is 4.5-14.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/81e487d5.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/681440e5.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/Reticle/DSCN0479_zpsjls7hdvy.jpg

For the 87th time, there is no one "scout optic." The fixation on the scope, and the marketing frenzy to take any heavy ass, too long rifle, scoot the scope forward of the breech, and call it a "scout," has jack and shit to do with Cooper, or the concept in question.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But, in thread after thread, we read about turning other rifles "into scouts" (impossible, usually, but usually this means "I put a long eye relieve forward mounted scope on it") or how they like the scout concept but the scope is a deal breaker.
View Quote
Yes most people toss a scout scope on some surplus bolt action and call it a scout
the weight is a huge feature of the scout concept

My 700 pseudo scout missed the weight by about a pound
used a 700 Youth in 308 , B square mount , Leupold scout scope , QRW rings , Williams receiver sight , galco ching sling

It worked well but a steyr scout , or a model 7 in a aftermarket lightweight stock is a thing of beauty to handle and cannot be appreciated  until one holds it in their hands .

I have been watching for cheap Model 7 with open sights  to do exactly that , add a lightweight stock and small variable scope 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is a link to the original scout rifle article. The article was published in September 1985. The October 2014 date is the reprint date.

A scout rifle is nothing more than a relatively light, relatively short bolt action hunting rifle. Forward-mounting the scope makes it different. Cooper cites three advantages over a traditional scope mount: 1) easier stripper clip reloading; 2) less obstructed field of view; 3) easier carrying.

All of these "advantages" are questionable. 1) Cooper chose a bolt action because a rifleman shouldn't have to shoot much. Well, then, why do we care about reloading with stripper clips? 2) A scope with a low power (2x or less) low end is perfectly fine for quick, close shots with both eyes open. Moving the scope forward doesn't do much, if anything, for you in this regard. 3) The rifle should be slung most of the time. If you're carrying it with two hands, scope position doesn't matter. People don't walk around carrying a rifle with one hand much at all. That's a silly reason to mount a scope in a sub-optimal position.

Shorter, barreled, lighter weight bolt guns with a good scope with low bottom end magnification are awesome. There's just no good enough reason to mount the scope out over the barrel instead of over the receiver. The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, if there really are even any advantages.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
+1 
Like him or hate him
The guy laid the foundation for pretty much all modern combat shooting

Granted yes he did not invent all of it but he recognized it , organized it , and promoted it against extreme institutional inertia for decades .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CoC prevents me from ripping you from stem to stern.
+1 
Like him or hate him
The guy laid the foundation for pretty much all modern combat shooting

Granted yes he did not invent all of it but he recognized it , organized it , and promoted it against extreme institutional inertia for decades .
Wasnt the Colonel a huge critic of 5.56 for military use? I definitely don't agree with that sentiment.

but there is no doubt, Col. Cooper is the closest thing the gun community has to its own version of Jesus. Hugely influential.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For the 87th time, there is no one "scout optic." The fixation on the scope, and the marketing frenzy to take any heavy ass, too long rifle, scoot the scope forward of the breech, and call it a "scout," has jack and shit to do with Cooper, or the concept in question.
View Quote
You're welcome to that opinion.

Cooper called the low power forward mounted scope a "scout scope".
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wasnt the Colonel a huge critic of 5.56 for military use?
View Quote
"Poodle shooter" I think, was the term he used. He was firmly entrenched in the .30 Caliber Mafia. But, you have to remember where bullet technology was at during his lifetime. Besides 55gr FMJ and some thin jacketed varmint and match bullets,  you didn't have many options in .224" ... no monolithic, no bonded core bullets. 

I understand his concept for a scout rifle. Even with today's materials tech, it's hard to have a useful rifle that makes his size and weight constraints, let alone in the 80's. I think sticking to his original specs today does not make much sense, with some of the very good caliber and optics options available out there... the concept could be improved upon.

I still kick myself for not snatching up the 1903 Scout I saw in a gun shop for ~$350. Burris EER, ghost ring sights, polymer stock, and a pretty green park job on all the metal. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Cooper's own words:

"I acquired a 600 in .308 Win. and fitted it with a Leupold 2X extended-eye-relief telescope. This laid the groundwork for the scout concept now being studied by the conference. . . .
. . . .

A further feature which distinguishes the modern scout rifle from its predecessors is the telescope sight, but that in a certain particular mode. The modern scout uses a low-power telescope mounted just forward of the magazine well. . . . but there is little doubt in the minds of those who have used the scout telescope concept on snap shots that it is the only proper general-purpose sighting system for a rifle."

According to Cooper himself, the forward-mounted scope is the centerpiece of the scout concept. In fact, the forward-mounted scope is the only thing that distinguishes the scout rifle from any other shorter barreled, light bolt action rifle. To dismiss the forward-mounted scope is dismiss the scout concept entirely. Of course, the forward-mounted scope is also the worst part of the concept. Cooper implicitly acknowledged this in his own article when he conceded no one at that time made a suitable scope or mounting system. In other words, the thing that makes a scout rifle a scout rifle is also the thing that makes a scout rifle worse than a regular short, light bolt action.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Go be poor somewhere else.
btw: I was wearing a Rolex when I took this picture.

.308 Steyr Scout, Aimpoint T2 2moa.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Here is a link to the original scout rifle article. The article was published in September 1985. The October 2014 date is the reprint date.

A scout rifle is nothing more than a relatively light, relatively short bolt action hunting rifle. Forward-mounting the scope makes it different. Cooper cites three advantages over a traditional scope mount: 1) easier stripper clip reloading; 2) less obstructed field of view; 3) easier carrying.

All of these "advantages" are questionable. 1) Cooper chose a bolt action because a rifleman shouldn't have to shoot much. Well, then, why do we care about reloading with stripper clips? 2) A scope with a low power (2x or less) low end is perfectly fine for quick, close shots with both eyes open. Moving the scope forward doesn't do much, if anything, for you in this regard. 3) The rifle should be slung most of the time. If you're carrying it with two hands, scope position doesn't matter. People don't walk around carrying a rifle with one hand much at all. That's a silly reason to mount a scope in a sub-optimal position.

Shorter, barreled, lighter weight bolt guns with a good scope with low bottom end magnification are awesome. There's just no good enough reason to mount the scope out over the barrel instead of over the receiver. The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, if there really are even any advantages.
View Quote
Cooper chose a bolt action because that was only one that would fit the requirements.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Basically, a scout rifle is a very lightweight rifle designed to be friendly and handy for prolonged field use which also had quick-acquisition sights suited for a decent variety of ranges and which is capable of reliably killing game under a certain weight as well as people, and which has some aids to loading, steadying, etc. (like ammo on or in the butt, a speed shooting sling, etc.) while using a cartridge that can be readily obtained worldwide.

An AR is longer and heavier and, importantly, bulkier, which is true of other modern combat-oriented self-loaders.  Of course, Cooper was not opposed to a self-loading scout rifle action, but it had to, on top of being sturdy and reliable, be sufficiently compact in all three dimensions and light enough for the rifle to make weight, which is a very tall order.  I'm not sure that a suitable action has ever been invented.  An AR-15 more specifically is lacking in sufficient power to be considered general-purpose.

When one understands what its meant to do, and where the arrangement has conceptual flexibility, it is quite sound.  A lightweight, general-purpose rifle that is easy to carry all day long is a very nice thing when well-executed.  Rifles that are in the realm of his parameters, even if not strictly scout rifles, are a joy to carry.  I really like them.  If one is not in the habit of going afield and taking his rifle with him then I can see why he would not find much merit in the idea.  While it can be shot at the range or used for home defence and the like if one desired, it's not really necessary for the former and less than ideal for the latter.  A person who only uses their rifles for those things and has no intent or desire to move beyond that probably doesn't have much use for such a rifle, whether it meets the parameters of a scout rifle or is just on the broader general-purpose rifle category.
View Quote
Thank you.   It seems many in this thred are getting hung up on "hurr, durr, it ain't a self-loader wit' a 600 round mag!!11!!"  Yes, dear boy, I realize that; that was outside the design parameters.  Cooper himself made it clear he had zero objection to self-loaders for a scout; it's just that, with the unavoidable extra buttons, knobs, and gas systems that mechanism requires, it made it much harder to make weight.

As stated in the quote above, "a scout rifle is a very lightweight rifle designed to be friendly and handy for prolonged field use".  It's primary feature is it's adaptability; it strives to be that one rifle you can grab to take with you in the morning, and use for most any rifle purpose during the day.  Is it the perfect combat rifle?  No, but it'll do a decent job.  Perfect target rifle?  No, but again, it'll do a decent job.  Perfect varmint rifle?  No, but it'll smack a whistlepig on the back 40.  Perfect big-game hunting rifle?  No, but you know the rest.  You could carry your AR, your target rifle, your big game rifle, AND your .22 with you everywhere you go.  Or, you could carry a scout, which will do all of the above relatively well, and be light and handy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tell me more about this "Scout Type" bull killin.

View Quote
Nice rifle; does it make weight?   If it doesn't, then it's not a scout.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
My 223 Scout. This is my favorite gun. Nothing else even comes close.

Quoted:
If I lived in CA, that would probably be my favorite too.

Quoted:
Sorry to laugh, but it's true.
View Quote
Because you have to spray the landscape with bullets, or the rifle is a piece of shit?   ITT, we find the guys who have zero woodscraft, and no concept of "one clean shot".  I'm sure you'd be lost completely if all you had was a Ruger #1.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top