Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
the income that you plug in; is it pretax or after tax???
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
'tobacco surcharge'

So are there going to be mandatory tests?
View Quote

What if I'm fat as fuck and eat McDonalds every day?
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I suppose this calculator is only good if you have to use the "exchanges."  I have insurance so the calculator does not apply.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
one question i haven't been able to lock down an answer on is if the 2.5 percent fine is PER PERSON or PER HOUSHOLD for those that refuse to pay their fair share to cover all the freeloaders.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I read that the IRS can only collect the fine by suing you in court.  If they win they can only collect double at most.   I plan on working my taxes down to the dollar so they will have to sue me.  I don't mind paying double the fine knowing it will cost them more than that to collect it from me in court.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
one question i haven't been able to lock down an answer on is if the 2.5 percent fine is PER PERSON or PER HOUSHOLD for those that refuse to pay their fair share to cover all the freeloaders.  
View Quote

Q: How much will the “tax” penalty be for going without health insurance?
A: The minimum assessment will be $695 per person (but no more than $2,085 per family) in 2016, when fully phased in. The amount can be higher depending on income. But there are exemptions for low-income persons and others.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/how-much-is-the-obamacare-tax/
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My insurance already went from 12K to 14K this year.......My accountant says they are expecting another 14% increase next year.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And 10 years in a Federal Pen for lying
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
'tobacco surcharge'

So are there going to be mandatory tests?

And 10 years in a Federal Pen for lying

Actually, the fine for any form of known or unknown misrepresentation associated with Obamacare is $25,000.00 if I recall correctly.  And I think it is $250,000.00 for subsequent known misrepresentation.  Someone posted a link to that part of the bill a while back.  Collected by the IRS, of course.

ETA

(h) PENALTIES.—
(1) FALSE OR FRAUDULENT INFORMATION.—
(A) CIVIL PENALTY.—
(i) IN GENERAL.—If—
(I) any person fails to provides correct information
under subsection (b); and
(II) such failure is attributable to negligence
or disregard of any rules or regulations of the
Secretary,
such person shall be subject, in addition to any other
penalties that may be prescribed by law, to a civil
penalty of not more than $25,000 with respect to any
failures involving an application for a plan year. For
purposes of this subparagraph, the terms ‘‘negligence’’
and ‘‘disregard’’ shall have the same meanings as when
used in section 6662 of the Internal Revenue Code
of 1986.
(ii) REASONABLE CAUSE EXCEPTION.—No penalty
shall be imposed under clause (i) if the Secretary determines
that there was a reasonable cause for the failure
and that the person acted in good faith.
(B) KNOWING AND WILLFUL VIOLATIONS.—Any person
who knowingly and willfully provides false or fraudulent
information under subsection (b) shall be subject, in addition
to any other penalties that may be prescribed by
law, to a civil penalty of not more than $250,000.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3590enr/pdf/BILLS-111hr3590enr.pdf
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How? Throw us all in jail? Blood will flow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what happens when tens of thousands of people can't pay this?
Probably the same as not paying your taxes since the IRS is going to enforce this...

No, probably no one will go to jail.  They will just garnish your pay and seize any assets you have.  They will take your stuff through non-judicial IRS action and leave you impoverished and even more dependent on the government.  If you want to dispute it, you will have to actually pay the fines, etc., before you can get a hearing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, probably no one will go to jail. They will just garnish your pay and seize any assets you have. They will take your stuff through non-judicial IRS action and leave you impoverished and even more dependent on the government. If you want to dispute it, you will have to actually pay the fines, etc., before you can get a hearing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the same as not paying your taxes since the IRS is going to enforce this...

No, probably no one will go to jail. They will just garnish your pay and seize any assets you have. They will take your stuff through non-judicial IRS action and leave you impoverished and even more dependent on the government. If you want to dispute it, you will have to actually pay the fines, etc., before you can get a hearing.

I won't be surprised or shocked when  a person or two ops to pay the "iron price".

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i dropped insurance. the math no longer adds up now that high deductable limited coverage will be going away.  its cheaper to pay the fine and fly to an island for cash treatment for brain surfery every few years than to pay for the insurance they want me to buy. especually all the interest and capitol gains i could be making on that money over the years. only fools or the extremely wealthy would keep buying insurance anymore.   eta:   just negotiated cash price for our second child. covers hospital, doctors,possibility of surgery and up to ten days of infant and mother care.5200 dollars.  cash is king in the land of government healthcare.
View Quote

Vic,

That low, low fine goes up exponentially after a couple of years.

soon the fine will equal your paycheck (income) and it comes out of your taxes or paid at tax time if self employed.

The ONLY way you'll get out of it is to go cash only underground income and look and act like the FSA.

Why do you think the .gov is adding 30,000 new IRS agents? It ain't for more efficient service.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#12]
According to the calculator I would pay $30 less per month on the exchange than I pay now for coverage for my family.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]

But but but Papa Pelosi said I could sit at home and become that musician or artist that I've always wanted to be.  

We're boned.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since you are an expert in health insurance what happens when everyone buys the platinum package when they find out they have some huge heart problem or cancer then drop coverage and keep paying the small fine after insurers have dished out the cash to pay for their treatments?  I figure this is what most people will do since pre existing conditions will no longer prevent you from getting coverage of any kind.

View Quote

If we are talking about an individual getting coverage on their own, that was a serious concern. According to the regulations released, individuals who want coverage for 2014 must enroll between October 2013 and March 2014. If you don't have coverage by March, you have to have a qualifying event to get individual coverage. For 2015, the enrollment period is October to December 2014. No signing up in the ambulance...
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I shit you not. For myself and spouse.  63 and 60 years old.

results
Because your income is more than 4 times the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

Household income in 2014:484% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:$21,555

$4,455 of which is due to a tobacco surcharge Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:None
(before accounting for the tobacco surcharge) Amount you pay for the premium:$21,555 per year

(which equals 28.74% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0
(which covers 0% of the overall
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My insurance guy sent me this calculator to help me figure out how much Obamacare is going to cost me.  You can plug in the data and get a figure of how much you will have to pay and how much the government will subsidize.  

There are NO savings for anyone that is actually productive and working.  My premiums are going up about $2,000.00 per year because of this.  We only have two months before the process begins for 2014.  

People that think this is a good idea have absolutely no idea of what is about to happen.  This will have a great negative impact on the average American and all Congress can do is spin it's wheels.  

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

I shit you not. For myself and spouse.  63 and 60 years old.

results
Because your income is more than 4 times the poverty level, you would not qualify for subsidized exchange coverage. The information below is about unsubsidized exchange coverage.

Household income in 2014:484% of poverty level Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:$21,555

$4,455 of which is due to a tobacco surcharge Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:None
(before accounting for the tobacco surcharge) Amount you pay for the premium:$21,555 per year

(which equals 28.74% of your household income and covers 100% of the overall premium) You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$0
(which covers 0% of the overall

The affordability criteria is 9.5% of income. Still deciphering regs about that

Keep in mind all of the premiums presented via that tool are 2016 premiums in 2014 dollars from the Congressional Budget Office. Actual premiums will vary by state and could have different rating rules.  The subsidy is also determined using the premium for the second lowest cost silver plan available.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I read that the IRS can only collect the fine by suing you in court.  If they win they can only collect double at most.   I plan on working my taxes down to the dollar so they will have to sue me.  I don't mind paying double the fine knowing it will cost them more than that to collect it from me in court.
View Quote

Same here. I have said it from the beginning, I will not comply with this. I will not pay it until they drag it from me by force.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, probably no one will go to jail.  They will just garnish your pay and seize any assets you have.  They will take your stuff through non-judicial IRS action and leave you impoverished and even more dependent on the government.  If you want to dispute it, you will have to actually pay the fines, etc., before you can get a hearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that's the day that I die.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Please don't forget, what little you will get in return.  While you will get free birth control and some preventative healthcare (annual physical), most plans will only hit the minimal coverage, with is effectively 60% of approved rates (probably effectively the old medicare rates), so when you got to a real dr, not only do you pay 40% of the medicare rates, you pay 100% of any billings that are over them.

---

of course the single payer system will fix most of that , you just will not be able to buy the services.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top