Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2016 11:20:02 AM EDT
The F-35 may be about to face a huge source of delays

The Air Force has not announced that the ejection seat needs to be replaced, but Lt. Gen. Arnold Bunch told DefenseNews Friday that they may seek new sub-contractors to redesign the F-35’s ejection seat system, which causes potentially fatal whiplash when deployed.
View Quote

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/28/f-35s-latest-hurdle-could-send-it-back-to-contracting-purgatory/#ixzz4CywylKBh

At the root of the problem is the still-unresolved issue of the F-35's ejection seat, which runs the risk of causing fatal whiplash in pilots under 200 pounds.
View Quote

The problem with the ejection seats has been known since at least October. But fixes from Martin-Baker have focused on small issues without resolving the overall design flaw that could cause the fatal whiplash, according to two anonymous officials who spoke with Defense News.

In light of this, the F-35 program has begun to look at other manufacturers for its ejection seats. Chiefly, the program is looking at the United Technologies ACES 5 model.
View Quote

Should the F-35 project decide to replace the F-35's ejection seats, costs of the program could increase and the aircraft could take longer to deliver. Martin-Baker is a British company, and its role in the construction of F-35 jets allows Britain to reap economic benefits from being a part of the F-35 program. Should the project decide to scrap Martin-Baker and use United Technologies, a US company, then the UK could demand a greater work share in other portions of the F-35.
View Quote

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-ejection-seat-woes-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
So in 2132 when it's finished, it'll be the best fighter 100 years ago!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it less dangerous than not ejecting?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Does this mean arfcom is going to reconsider when to eject?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't matter. They won't need to eject since they will just kill everything.

Including their pilots.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously...  You would think that an ejection seat would be the easiest challenge of the whole damn program.  I mean didn't they pretty much perfect them 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#6]
the f35 needs the to be junked
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Martin Baker seats have and continue to suck.  Unfortunately Martin Baker seats are popular with the USN and foreign customers, so they are installed on the JSF.  Also the JSF has the stupid ejection process where you go through the canopy instead of blowing it off.  Thanks Lockmart engineer drone #8563 who wanted the hinge point to be on the forward point of the canopy.  Actually I believe its in the forward point because of the jacked up USMC variant.  They couldn't hinge it at the rear because that's where the lifting fan is installed, and since there was to be interoperability between versions to the MAX all F-35 variants suffer as a result.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Do fighter pilot helmets use anything like a HANS device? Serious question. I'm ignorant of fighter technology.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The root of the problem is the still-unresolved issue of the F-35's ejection seat, which runs the risk of causing fatal whiplash in pilots under 200 pounds.

Simple solution is get bigger pilots.

Oh that won't work, cause wimmen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously...  You would think that an ejection seat would be the easiest challenge of the whole damn program.  I mean didn't they pretty much perfect them 30 years ago.
View Quote
The US hasn't bought a new aircraft with a martin-baker ejection seat in ages.  All the newer aircraft pretty much have an ACES seat.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]
For what these things are costing, can't they just make them drones?  Let the pilots fly them from the ground in a nice and safe air conditioned cubicle somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
A.I will fix this ....
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought the problem was the giant-ass heavy TIE fighter pilot helmet with all sorts of stuff on it was causing whiplash when the pilot ejected.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The root of the problem is the still-unresolved issue of the F-35's ejection seat, which runs the risk of causing fatal whiplash in pilots under 200 pounds.

View Quote

F35 pilots have had to meet a 136 lb. minimum weight since last August because of this issue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]
At the root of the problem is the still-unresolved issue of the F-35's ejection seat, which runs the risk of causing fatal whiplash in pilots under 200 pounds.

The issue is most pronounced with lighter pilots, with those weighing under 136 pounds now barred from flying the aircraft for safety concerns related to the F-35's Martin-Baker ejection seat, Defense News reports. (snip)

Reuters reported in October, however, that the risk from the ejection seats to even lighter pilots was still exceptionally small. Pilots weighing under 136 pounds had a one-in-50,000 chance of hurting their neck, while pilots weighing 146 to 165 pounds had a one-in-200,000 chance.
View Quote

Oh come on.  I suppose it should be fixed, but is it a realistic reason to delay the aircraft?  If we got our asses kicked in WWIII we might see a thousand ejections, but in reality it's likely to be much, much less than that over the service life of the F-35, so each pilot is running more like a one in a million risk of injury in this way.  How much military equipment presents more than a one in a million risk of injury to the operator?  Practically all of it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]
We should just buy seats from Russia.

I mean, they are WELL tested.  Usually once per airshow!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
The helmet weight is the root cause, not the seat.

On a sidenote I wonder why ejection seats have not progressed to the point of having a g-meter and throttle-able rockets.  I imagine it is for ease of function / less things to go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Somebody finally understand the issue...wow!!!
All cockpit are design around a set of specifications, primary male.
Most "normal" pilots, when fully equipped, helmet, gear, vest, chute will weight more than 200 pounds, up till recently.

Nothing to do with punching thru the cockpit, it have been a standard backup, in case the cockpit ejection fail, and the break thru charges fail.

The primary issue is under-weight pilots, which will experience much higher acceleration than :normal" pilot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The US hasn't bought a new aircraft with a martin-baker ejection seat in ages.  All the newer aircraft pretty much have an ACES seat.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USAF uses ACES.  Navy has always liked Martin Baker.  F-18s (legacy and superbug) use Martin Bakers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh come on.  I suppose it should be fixed, but is it a realistic reason to delay the aircraft?  If we got our asses kicked in WWIII we might see a thousand ejections, but in reality it's likely to be much, much less than that over the service life of the F-35, so each pilot is running more like a one in a million risk of injury in this way.  How much military equipment presents more than a one in a million risk of injury to the operator?  Practically all of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The issue is most pronounced with lighter pilots, with those weighing under 136 pounds now barred from flying the aircraft for safety concerns related to the F-35's Martin-Baker ejection seat, Defense News reports. (snip)

Reuters reported in October, however, that the risk from the ejection seats to even lighter pilots was still exceptionally small. Pilots weighing under 136 pounds had a one-in-50,000 chance of hurting their neck, while pilots weighing 146 to 165 pounds had a one-in-200,000 chance.

Hey, while we are throwing missiles with explosions on the end of them and bullets everywhere at each other we need to be really really really safe.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Just don't eject
Problem solved, I'll mail you my bill.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do fighter pilot helmets use anything like a HANS device? Serious question. I'm ignorant of fighter technology.
View Quote

No, and I'm sure it has to do with mobility. They need their heads on a swivel, like all birds of prey.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No, and I'm sure it has to do with mobility. They need their heads on a swivel, like all birds of prey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in F-35.  No need for a towelbar - can't see rearward anyways.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most "normal" pilots, when fully equipped, helmet, gear, vest, chute will weight more than 200 pounds, up till recently.

Nothing to do with punching thru the cockpit, it have been a standard backup, in case the cockpit ejection fail, and the break thru charges fail.

The primary issue is under-weight pilots, which will experience much higher acceleration than :normal" pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the pilot is too light, make them add weight to the seat... grab a plate from the gym when you gotta fly
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

the f35 needs the to be junked
View Quote

People say that about every new aircraft.  "It is unproven junk"  Yeah, so would the replacement aircraft.  I remember back in early 2000 when most people here were bashing the F22, complaining that it was junk and should be scrapped because the F35 was going to be so awesome.  Now that the F22 has had time to get the bugs worked out of it people are speaking positively about it and wish the F35 would just go away because it still has bugs.  

Aircraft are platforms and can be upgraded as needed, especially with the modern electronics and technology.  Having it designed great on a computer doesn't mean it will actually work that way in real life once it is built.  But these bugs won't be known until you start building them, using them, and see if the design theory can be proven.  That's the stage the F35 is at.  Just look at SpaceX and Blue Orgin reusable rockets.  The design on paper is easy.  Once they started launching their rockets in the real world all sorts of problems came up, which is expected.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid observation here, but how about just putting in a custom seat pad for the wimmenz?  A few sheets of lead should get the weight up to 200+.  

ETA:  Dang, beat!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna know how I know you don't know what you are talking about?  Every damn Air Force related thread brings people out of the woodwork who talk like they are experts, but have no idea.  Not just talking about the above quote either...

The heavy helmet is because it has a HMDS that displays what the pilot sees THROUGH the aircraft from sensors mounted on the airframe.

Also, we should've never let MB get the contract for providing the seats in the F-35.  I guess that was part of the deal to get other countries to buy them.  ACES II is already established and in every one of our fighters and most of our bombers.  MB is junk and always has been.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Martin Baker seats have and continue to suck.  Unfortunately Martin Baker seats are popular with the USN and foreign customers, so they are installed on the JSF.  Also the JSF has the stupid ejection process where you go through the canopy instead of blowing it off.  Thanks Lockmart engineer drone #8563 who wanted the hinge point to be on the forward point of the canopy.  Actually I believe its in the forward point because of the jacked up USMC variant.  They couldn't hinge it at the rear because that's where the lifting fan is installed, and since there was to be interoperability between versions to the MAX all F-35 variants suffer as a result.

View Quote

why do you think they suck? They have a proven track record.

MB's are also installed on USAF aircraft, T-38's , T-6's and the A-29 we gave to Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

For what these things are costing, can't they just make them drones?  Let the pilots fly them from into the ground in a nice and safe air conditioned cubicle somewhere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

On a sidenote I wonder why ejection seats have not progressed to the point of having a g-meter and throttle-able rockets.  I imagine it is for ease of function / less things to go wrong.

View Quote

Why the 200-lb. pilot criteria?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Well was it specified in the reqs that the seat NOT kill pilots?

I thought not.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

when this was first announced that there was a weight problem it only affected 1 pilot in the F-35 program and it wasn't a woman.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

A standing joke in the Survival and Flight Equipment industry is that the motto of Martin Baker is "Why use one part when 20 will do?".  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't the F-14 have similar issues in 1986?  Wait, never mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not how it works.

I literally just spent my morning redesigning something to be shittier so that it's backward-compatible with things that are being phased out and to make the one item in it that almost never breaks slightly more accessible at the expense of everything else.

The F-35 is a "Brazil"-esque nightmare of poor management not recognizing the limitations of design intent, written on a global scale.

"So what do you want this thing to do?"

"EVARRRRRYYYTHING!!!!!"

<sigh>
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

MB's are also installed on USAF aircraft, T-38's , T-6's and the A-29 we gave to Afghanistan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience on MB seats is on the version installed on F-4s.  They are heavy, bulky, and complex in both safeing and maintenance.  The ACES series of seats is everything the MB is not.  Egress shops are simpler maintaining ACES instead of MBs.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Hasn't ejecting always been kind of dangerous?
Further, 1 in 200,000 isn't terrible considering that its not likely a lot of them occur.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Does this mean arfcom is going to reconsider when to eject?

View Quote

It said "under 200 pounds"

ARFCOM is safe, very safe
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Why not just add some ballast to the seat?

Or a load adjusting ejection charge.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an acceleration thing.  For a fixed-force ejection thrust, lighter pilots accelerate faster (higher G).  Seats will also have max pilot weights to ensure tail clearance over a broad ejection envelope.  F=ma.

And, it's not just the upwards acceleration vector, it's a combination of vectors from upward seat force and horizontal windblast.  

As a function of Mach and Altitude, the ejection envelope sort of looks like a map of the eastern Tennessee border.  At lower altitudes, the maximum survivable Mach is lower than at higher altitudes (it's an air density thing).  Now, add another dimension to that with pilot weight - the eastern TN border moves more to the west as pilot weight decreases [lighter pilots will have a narrower (slower) ejection envelope than their heavier counterparts].

Pilots below 170 pounds are currently thought to have a 1:200,000 risk of neck injury; pilots below 136 pounds a 1:50,000 chance.  These odds are a function of airspeed as well, but stuff like that just doesn't convey well in a news article.

Prior to something like 1990, USAF ejection seats had something like a 136 or 142 minimum pilot weight.  A program known as LIGHTEST? (maybe LOWEST?) expanded this envelope down to something like 107 pounds, and it also expanded the maximum pilot weight to a value that allowed folks like our very own Bull-F16 arfcom member to fly (he's a big dude).

ETA:
Here's a .pdf with some history behind the ACES II pilot weight expansions ...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiu79qK4c3NAhVKdD4KHerLCwgQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dlielc.edu%2Folc%2Fset%2FANC%2Favdocs%2Findex.php%3Fdir%3D35%2BEmergency%2BEgress%252F%26download%3DThe%2BACES%2BII%2BSeat.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG6At_0S6xudhAQ7mwzaMZNALS-2A&sig2=cc3Nwr5SRESO_M51otuIhg&bvm=bv.125801520,d.cWw
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter. They won't need to eject since they will just kill everything.
Including their pilots.
View Quote
It really increases the strike range of the aircraft too.  Since you won't be refueling or returning to base.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SNIP   Egress shops are simpler maintaining ACES instead of MBs.

View Quote

Not the case for Mk16's, which is whats in the F-35 and USAF MB equipped aircraft. I currently work both MB and ACES II and will take a MB any day over a ACES II. Simpler to work and maintain in every aspect.

I cannot speak about the earlier Mk series or Navy NACES series of seats.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#44]

I would think most if not all engineering and design problems related to ejection seats would have been worked out years ago.

What makes the 35 so unique?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Fun fact, when the B was unveiled at Eglin a few years ago there was no seat installed in the display bird at the ceremony.  It was a cardboard box.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong answer. ALL of the Hornets , T45s, and T-38C carry a M-B seat. F-15, F16,F22 and A10 carry the ACES II.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Use modular stackable ballast weights on the seat to bring the pilot+ballast total to 250lbs. This will reduce peak acceleration on the pilot and make it consistent for all pilots.

Bam, some Depleted Uranium ballast and I just solved a billion dollar problem. Fuck you, pay me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

USAF uses ACES.  Navy has always liked Martin Baker.  F-18s (legacy and superbug) use Martin Bakers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meet your maker in a Martin Baker!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would think most if not all engineering and design problems related to ejection seats would have been worked out years ago.

What makes the 35 so unique?
View Quote

It is not unique, the same issue will be across all the fleet.  The F-35 is the latest and the greatest, so naturally, the media likes to pick on the program.
The issue is the customer now have a specification change, not a contractor over-sight, but the news sell it off as contractor's oversight.
It is not uncommon that each type of aircraft have physical limits and requirements put on the pilot.

If we have program XXX tomorrow, the all the F-35 issues will disappear over-night, and Program XXX will be the POS.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much does the average pilot weigh with G-suit, helmet, survival gear, etc...

I'll venture a guess that no men would be affected at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top