Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone that cares about their food already knows this.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of derp as usual in these threads. I will buy organic if the product is actually better, most of the time it isn't.

The above comments about tomatoes really hits the nail, but it still misses some of it. 2 years ago I grew about 20 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and came to the conclusion that they fucking suck. They ones that did produce had terrible flavor, reminiscent of grocery store tomatoes. The regular old garden tomatoes that everyone grows like celebrity, brandywine and even big boys were superior in every way.

The people who love organic and hate Monsanto don't realize that the best vegetables are being bred by Monsanto and it's subsidiaries. That local organic csa that you buy that amazing produce from won't tell you that is where they are getting their seed from and yes it is still can be completely organic.

I don't care how fucking rich your local soil is. It isn't going to taste better than a properly bred (which name just might be a number) plant grown completely hydroponically or organically.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Get thee to the Whole Foods at Maple and Coolidge!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Endless babes in yoga pants you say?

Shit, I'll have to go shop there

This man knows the truth!
ETA I think the MIHTF just hijacked this thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have 420 acres of certified organic alfalfa and about another 400 in barley/wheat.
About 1/4 of my farming operations are organic.
I aint going to talk about specifics but the contents of that article are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to some of the shady shit that goes on in organic farming.

I will give you a hint though:
Organic dairies/mills don't give a hoot in hell if what they receive is "organic" as long as they have the cert that says it is.
Many, if not most, organic producers have amazingly high yields on their organic crops.
View Quote

The hired man must have dumped a couple loads in the wrong bin.  Don't worry it's all good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lots of derp as usual in these threads. I will buy organic if the product is actually better, most of the time it isn't.

The above comments about tomatoes really hits the nail, but it still misses some of it. 2 years ago I grew about 20 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and came to the conclusion that they fucking suck. They ones that did produce had terrible flavor, reminiscent of grocery store tomatoes. The regular old garden tomatoes that everyone grows like celebrity, brandywine and even big boys were superior in every way.

The people who love organic and hate Monsanto don't realize that the best vegetables are being bred by Monsanto and it's subsidiaries. That local organic csa that you buy that amazing produce from won't tell you that is where they are getting their seed from and yes it is still can be completely organic.

I don't care how fucking rich your local soil is. It isn't going to taste better than a properly bred (which name just might be a number) plant grown completely hydroponically or organically.
View Quote

Heirloom tomatoes are the craft beer of the veggie world.  Just because they're different doesn't mean they suck.  But yeah, there are a lot of turds out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Meh, people can eat whatever they fucking wany, I don't care. As for me, I try to buy as much as I can from local growers and meet producers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
So......what is supposed to be eaten then?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
For 48 years, I've managed to stuff my hole with a manner of different foods. Nothing I do now is going to prolong my life, because that many years of ingesting a multitude of chemicals has already taken a toll on my body. Me eating organic now is as useful as shoving a cucumber up my ass to relieve the bags under my eyes. I guess I've been doing it wrong all of these years, I didn't know you were supposed to put them under your eyes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is one example where the market advantage (to me) is against conventional:  peaches at Safeway store are as hard as baseballs, while the organic ones at whole foods are ripe and tasty.   Tomatoes too, and many other produce items.

Taste and freshness, in some instances, are easier to find at stores that market to the organic folks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
its all complete bullshit in my opinion
however it has done some good

some farmers out there are certified organic and buy these crazy expensive feeds for their cattle and pigs and chickens
and then charge these hippies wannabe people crazy amounts
I know a guy out of Houston with a small farm charging $40 a pound for beef
dudes got a waiting list like you wouldn't believe
I think his eggs are $5 a dozen and he sells by the truckload

I have chickens and people ask me are they free range, are they organic,gmo free
do you pet them and thank them for their sacrifice daily... blah blah blah
I tell them this
my chickens are free range and I cant certify that whatever bug they just hunted down like a miniature tyrannosauraus rex
was organic and gmo free

"ohh my god your chickens run free and live happy lives?"    SIGN ME UP!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm interested in why.

What we don't grow we usually get at the farmer's market.  

It tastes/feels fresher, supports the local economy, and isn't covered in human waste/TP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "Farm to Table" restaurants really get me.  I'm amazed that most city health departments will even allow them.

If I hear some douchenozzle on Food Network say 'Locally-sourced' one more time...

I'm interested in why.

It tastes/feels fresher, supports the local economy, and isn't covered in human waste/TP

It's not the what so much as the HOW they say it.

"We feature locally sourced blah blah".

Well no shit. Unless we're talking about some slop house with a Sysco truck making daily deliveries, I would hope a restaurant owner gets off his ass and goes talks to some farmers, especially here in SE Michigan with farm country so close.

It's turned into a hipster restaurant phrase.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
its all complete bullshit in my opinion
however it has done some good

some farmers out there are certified organic and buy these crazy expensive feeds for their cattle and pigs and chickens
and then charge these hippies wannabe people crazy amounts
I know a guy out of Houston with a small farm charging $40 a pound for beef
dudes got a waiting list like you wouldn't believe
I think his eggs are $5 a dozen and he sells by the truckload

I have chickens and people ask me are they free range, are they organic,gmo free
do you pet them and thank them for their sacrifice daily... blah blah blah
I tell them this
my chickens are free range and I cant certify that whatever bug they just hunted down like a miniature tyrannosauraus rex
was organic and gmo free

"ohh my god your chickens run free and live happy lives?"    SIGN ME UP!!!
View Quote

Lmao this just happened to me.
My boss wanted to buy eggs from me..."are they free range..organic...etc "
I looked at her dumb and said " I feed them grains from the feed store..veggie scraps from the table and garden /yard clippings  so I guess they are ...."....
She looked at me even more confused.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

For 48 years, I've managed to stuff my hole with a manner of different foods. Nothing I do now is going to prolong my life, because that many years of ingesting a multitude of chemicals has already taken a toll on my body. Me eating organic now is as useful as shoving a cucumber up my ass to relieve the bags under my eyes. I guess I've been doing it wrong all of these years, I didn't know you were supposed to put them under your eyes.
View Quote

Did you use only the tip?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Username appropiate
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
View Quote

That has been my experience as well.

I generally find "organic" meat to be superior to its equivalent "non-organic" competitor.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us that we're stupid and wrong though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, start reading the label on some of these "organic" pesticides, I can't believe some of the stuff that passes as organic.

I've got some biological "organic" pesticide that requires you to wear a dust mask during application because the human body can react to the proteins in it and cause allergies.

I try to visit a lot of the local nurseries too. I asked the lady at one of the organic nurseries if all their plants were organic. (sometimes you gotta play dumb to get answers)

She said all the plants were cared for organically once they received them from the supplier.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't understand how they can trust someone else to grow it for them and accept the claim that its "organic" based on a sticker. If you want organic, grow it yourself. Then you actually know what's in it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had a real vegetable garden, I would want to use as few pesticides as possible.  The primary reason is the danger they pose to people applying them or who may enter the field too soon after application.

I had an uncle who created a publishing empire based on organic agriculture.  He died of heart disease and diabetes.  He went blind first.  

The science is weak.  But I do buy into the the "cumulative affect" theory.

A little second-hand smoke won't kill you.  Nor will the substances gassed off by building materials, pesticides on the food you get at the store, or the heterocyclic amines that are created when meats are overcooked on a grill kill you.

There are lots of things in our environment that are unsafe.

I remain concerned not about just one or two, but rather the cumulative affect of many harmful substances.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep, start reading the label on some of these "organic" pesticides, I can't believe some of the stuff that passes as organic.
View Quote

I sometimes get the idea that for something to pass as organic or to be "certified organic"
all it takes is money

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So......what is supposed to be eaten then?
View Quote
Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning

Space Food Sticks at lunchtime

Swanson TV Dinner in the evening
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
All the food I eat is organic I do sprinkle inorganic salt on some of my food.

All food is organic except salt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I buy free range chicken eggs.  $2 doz (mixed size) and $3 (all large).   I know both sellers and their chickens are free range.  The eggs do taste better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.

I buy free range chicken eggs.  $2 doz (mixed size) and $3 (all large).   I know both sellers and their chickens are free range.  The eggs do taste better.

Our free range eggs are better too....which has nothing to do with the stupid organic craze.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL. Organic = charge low information voters more for a product of lesser quality and false health benefits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Endless babes in yoga pants you say?

Shit, I'll have to go shop there

Just sit outside at lunch.  The Kroger isn't half bad either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Makes sense. We grow several varieties of tomatoes and the flavor is Sooo much better than generic grocery store tomatoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Which has exactly nothing to do with being "organic" and everything to do with local farmers not having to grow varieties with tougher skin that is necessary for the big stores shipping tomatoes all over the place if they don't want to end up with a truck full of ketchup at the end of the road.

Makes sense. We grow several varieties of tomatoes and the flavor is Sooo much better than generic grocery store tomatoes.

I agree.  Love homegrown tomatoes, almost can't stand to buy store bought during the winter.  

I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, berries, etc.  If the soil isn't up to snuff I'll use fertilizers.  If they're getting mauled by bugs I"ll use pesticides.  Everything still tastes great.  

The difference in quality between store bought and home grown is all about variety and freshness and has nothing to do with "organically grown" or not.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.
View Quote

That is ridiculous! Obviously you have never been to one of those 'mega chicken coops'.

Those chickens DO NOT get to free range.....if one dies in the cage, it is left to rot and the other chickens will begin to eat it. They also fester in their own feces and yes they WILL eat that too.......mmmmm mmmmmm good!

I have no dog in this fight as I raise my own chickens and only eat those......but do not think for a minute that the 'Mega Animal Farms' produce food as good as REAL free range / organic operations.......

But if it makes you feel better keep buying that crap and thinking it's just as healthy!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kinda comparing apples and oranges there
he is talking about meat chickens
not egg layers

our eggs do taste better but chickens are some nasty animals lol
they run around eating bugs and worms and lizards
and..... dog poop   I try not to think about that part
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
View Quote

That's because of the pasteurization process it goes through and also has nothing to do with it being "organic".  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I grow organic stuff. I dont put pesticides on it at all. but pesticides are only a small part of it. You cant use common chemical fertilize, you cant use common herbicide etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LOL. Organic = charge low information voters more for a product of lesser quality and false health benefits.
View Quote

Serious question:

If you can point me to any good sources of information I would love to read them.

I have a serious condition. When I am interested in something, or want to know about it, I read, read, read. I dig and dig, and then dig some more.
I go down multiple rabbit holes, where I read and dig deeper. I look at "all sides" of the issue, and from different angles.

Sometimes I find absolute truth on a subject or problem, and sometimes I just have a lot of information to make an informed decision for myself.

So anyways, If you have any good information, I'll take it.

cheers.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is ridiculous! Obviously you have never been to one of those 'mega chicken coops'.

Those chickens DO NOT get to free range.....if one dies in the cage, it is left to rot and the other chickens will begin to eat it. They also fester in their own feces and yes they WILL eat that too.......mmmmm mmmmmm good!

I have no dog in this fight as I raise my own chickens and only eat those......but do not think for a minute that the 'Mega Animal Farms' produce food as good as REAL free range / organic operations.......

But if it makes you feel better keep buying that crap and thinking it's just as healthy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he is right and talking about something different than you are... walk through a large grocery store and they now have free range chickens for sale
and like he said... its nothing more than a chicken house with a door on the side and a outdoor area
by the rules all they have to do is open that door in front of 10,000 chickens too scared to go outside once a day
and boom... stamped free range chicken

IMO if you want to buy free range chicken and know what you are getting, you should be able to shake the farmers hand that raised them
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I sometimes get the idea that for something to pass as organic or to be "certified organic"
all it takes is money

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

The only criteria a pesticide has to meet to be organic is something that occurs naturally.  Well, nature produces some pretty scary shit.  Nicotine is considered an organic pesticide.  

The really funny thing to me is those who choose organic because they're worried about "chemicals".  Newsflash: Your organic produce got sprayed with natural "chemicals", and there is zero regulation on how much organic pesticide can be lathered onto your produce.  In fact, because organic pesticides are generally less effective than man made pesticides, lots of organic produce has been exposed to a lot more pesticides than non organic produce has.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.anh-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/broilerchicken1.jpg
http://www.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/factory-farming-chickensstacked.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.anh-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/broilerchicken1.jpg
http://www.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/factory-farming-chickensstacked.jpg

LOL, the top could be labeled organic and free range by the USDA. As for the bottom pic, no chickens are raised that way, they are in transport to the slaughter house and could legally be labeled anything.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs calibration.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

WHAT???  Chickens are communal animals and raised in chicken houses for better bio-security and disease prevention? There are no chicken herds out on the open range in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas? They are not being rounded up by chicken wranglers with little lassos?

I feel so violated. Like everything I have been told by the smelly hippy, tree hugging, hipster, bi-sexual, liberals is a lie.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[

he is right and talking about something different than you are... walk through a large grocery store and they now have free range chickens for sale
and like he said... its nothing more than a chicken house with a door on the side and a outdoor area
by the rules all they have to do is open that door in front of 10,000 chickens too scared to go outside once a day
and boom... stamped free range chicken

IMO if you want to buy free range chicken and know what you are getting, you should be able to shake the farmers hand that raised them
View Quote

I stand corrected....I agree with you 100% about being able to shake the farmers hand.  I did that in several of my 'Farm to Table' restaurants that some folks seem to find annoying..... Now I just grow as much of my own food as I possibly can. Rabbits, Chickens, Pigs, Cattle, Goats, vegetable garden, etc...... all on a small scale and all for my family.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can confirm, got Gyno from eating hormonal chickens smoking pot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only eat organic chicken breast and grass fed beef because i read that the hormones in regular meat will make me grow tits brah

Can confirm, got Gyno from eating hormonal chickens smoking pot.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The only criteria a pesticide has to meet to be organic is something that occurs naturally.  Well, nature produces some pretty scary shit.  Nicotine is considered an organic pesticide.  

The really funny thing to me is those who choose organic because they're worried about "chemicals".  Newsflash: Your organic produce got sprayed with natural "chemicals", and there is zero regulation on how much organic pesticide can be lathered onto your produce.  In fact, because organic pesticides are generally less effective than man made pesticides, lots of organic produce has been exposed to a lot more pesticides than non organic produce has.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

Yep, bt toxin is widely used in both organic and conventional farming but the hippies can't get it through their heads that GMO expression of bt toxin and the application of bt toxin by organic farmers is the same damn chemical.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The government got involved ....subsidies...

Nothing wrong with buying beef from a local grower you know and trust.
View Quote
Ive always thought it would be amusing to live next to a Mosanto farm just to tell people I only buy local produce

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

Jeez. I really am not a crusader for organic farming, and don't want to seem as though I'm pushing anything on anyone, but many people are well aware of what you point out. Not all, for sure, but many.

One pesticide, glyphosate, is what a lot of people want to avoid, among others. There does, in fact, appear to be some health concern over it. If you do a simple google search for it you will find a lot of material to consider.

There is also evidence that it takes more and more of it to be effective as weeds become tolerant. Again, easy to find.

The USDA and FDA are also steeped with former industry players at the highest levels, which in itself doesn't mean anything for sure, but, ya know, it makes you think.
Also, many prominent colleges and think tanks are funded by industry or others with their own agendas. Again, doesn't mean anything is guaranteed, but it makes you think.

Anyway, you would think that it is healthy to decide about your diet, or anything else, based on careful consideration of the available information, but it seems like (edit: some) in GD want to cram their opinion down everyone's throat and call them stupid.

Who else does that? Hmmm.

I like it here though. There are some very funny, intelligent, and interesting people in GD, and you all post some good stuff.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#40]

. However, "organic” pesticides can be toxic
View Quote
Someone has to blow pot smoke on all the crops

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

View Quote
That's not possible

Purchase both types and run your own experiment

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

BTW organic fresh chicken is awesome.
View Quote
Have you done a taste test?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well no shit. Unless we're talking about some slop house with a Sysco truck making daily deliveries, I would hope a restaurant owner gets off his ass and goes talks to some farmers, especially here in SE Michigan with farm country so close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "Farm to Table" restaurants really get me.  I'm amazed that most city health departments will even allow them.

If I hear some douchenozzle on Food Network say 'Locally-sourced' one more time...

I'm interested in why.

Ahh OK.

I like a lot of places that source locally. When we travel we look for it too, especially if they have seasonal menus. It's a fun way to see what the area is all about.

We also try to hit local breweries because beer is good.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree.  Love homegrown tomatoes, almost can't stand to buy store bought during the winter.  

I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, berries, etc.  If the soil isn't up to snuff I'll use fertilizers.  If they're getting mauled by bugs I"ll use pesticides.  Everything still tastes great.  

The difference in quality between store bought and home grown is all about variety and freshness and has nothing to do with "organically grown" or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Which has exactly nothing to do with being "organic" and everything to do with local farmers not having to grow varieties with tougher skin that is necessary for the big stores shipping tomatoes all over the place if they don't want to end up with a truck full of ketchup at the end of the road.

And where you buy them.

During the winter when they're on sale whole foods has good tomatoes as does sprouts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That's not possible

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

That's not possible

What if I told you I did, and the organic stuff didn't sour for 1-2 weeks longer than the conventional?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Jeez. I really am not a crusader for organic farming, and don't want to seem as though I'm pushing anything on anyone, but many people are well aware of what you point out. Not all, for sure, but many.

One pesticide, glyphosate, is what a lot of people want to avoid, among others. There does, in fact, appear to be some health concern over it. If you do a simple google search for it you will find a lot of material to consider.

There is also evidence that it takes more and more of it to be effective as weeds become tolerant. Again, easy to find.

The USDA and FDA are also steeped with former industry players at the highest levels, which in itself doesn't mean anything for sure, but, ya know, it makes you think.
Also, many prominent colleges and think tanks are funded by industry or others with their own agendas. Again, doesn't mean anything is guaranteed, but it makes you think.

Anyway, you would think that it is healthy to decide about your diet, or anything else, based on careful consideration of the available information, but it seems like (edit: some) in GD want to cram their opinion down everyone's throat and call them stupid.

I like it here though. There are some very funny, intelligent, and interesting people in GD, and you all post some good stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

What herbicides are safer than Roundup?  Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had  to apply before this were far far more toxic.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Organic = placebo effect.  People think its' better tasting/sustainable/healthier etc... because they think it's better tasting/sustainable/healthier etc...  Mah feels!

I thank God we live in a country where people have the luxury to question where our food comes from, and how it is produced.  Quite frankly these questions are asked by uninformed people who have no earthly idea what it takes to grow it.  The agricultural population is in the low single digits, it's no wonder why people question it:  they don't have a clue about it.  This is a good thing, as the other scenario is one in which people don't care what they eat because they are starving.  Eat what you want, freedom and all that.  However, don't delude yourself that you are at the tip of the food knowledge spear.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What herbicides are safer than Roundup?  Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had  to apply before this were far far more toxic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

Roundup ready corn and alfalfa are freaking awesome.    Apply once and done (usually), instead of  multiple applications of different chemicals that stress your crop, or don't kill the weeds, or both.   I have yet to see any resistance to it as of yet.  I'm sure one day there will be resistance to it, but there will be another herbicide developed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW organic fresh chicken is awesome.

I wouldn't have posted that if I hadn't. I had it once, it had better flavor and the texture (never frozen) was good.

Also, fresh-cut pork and bacon is amazeballs.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Whenever someone tells me they prefer organic, I counter with either :

- Dog shit is organic
- What about inorganic fruit / chicken / etc
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top